Quest #6 "Return To The River"

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

Re: Quest #6 "Return To The River"

#81 Post by Hotgoblin »

Franny is hesitant to proceed...she looks around hoping to see what creature is making that terrifying growling. Franny looks up at the treetops, thinking that Krystal could be right and that it is something from the cat family (waiting to pounce on them ).

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

Bonnie narrows her eyes at Keilif, then heeds his warning. She turns to face the rear, walking backwards slowly with her hand on the hilt of her sword.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#83 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

Brufrig considers the fact they heard the cat growling to be a good sign. The last time he encountered a big cat on the island, it gave no warning, instead waiting to ambush the group. Nevertheless, his crossbow is loaded and ready in case he sees the cat.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#84 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Second Village
Mid Afternoon
Hot, Humid, Buggy

Keilif gets even more aggravated when he sees that some of the others are reluctant to heed his obvious warning. With the help of Wes, the pair are able to quietly prod those less willing members to move along up the trail. The growling doesn't get any louder or closer and you aren't able to discern what type of creature was making the noise. After advancing a bit further, another clearing can be seen just up ahead. The smell of burnt wood and thatch lingers on the air again.

The sea priest gives Krystal, Ferris, and Franny another piece of his narrow mind once they get out of earshot of the growling.
"Are you three blind or just stupid? Have you been out here for months, or just a few days? Do you fully understand the dangers presented by the many denizens of this harsh jungle? NO......YOU DONT!!! So, when someone who does, tells you to keep quiet and move along......DO IT!!! Don't just stand there, or babble, or ask questions! Just do what you're told! The next time we might not be so lucky."

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Arriving at the edge of another small riverside village, the group spots more of the familiar carnage that they saw before. The first few grass huts are nothing more than burned out shells, but at least there are no signs of burned bodies lying around the area. The river bank in this village is not as deep as the one from the last village and you can see the rushing water only a few feet below the level of the land. There are a few more of those long bamboo skiffs beached here and there along the riverbank.

There is no motion or obvious dangers present at the very south edge of this village where you are now, but a feint whispering and sobbing noise can be heard coming from somewhere deeper into the burned huts.

Actions?

Ferris 3/7 DM, RM, 1/1 first
Waesfaren Rhey 10/10 3/4 first
Bonnie 6/6
Krystal 5/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Franny Buurlslammer 12/12
Brufrig Granitesunder 3/15
Keilif 9/9 1/3 first

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal'

Krystal
absentmindedly flicks a squashed bluebottle fly from her jacket towards the habit of the cleric as his back is turned, "jungle 'vegetables' seem to be at both ends of the trail."she whispers to those who went to the logging camp and walks towards the sobbing sound.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

Bonnie smiles at Krystal and then her smile fades as she hears the crying from further north.

She draws her bow and starts walking toward the riverbank, keeping an eye out for tracks or movement.

"Let's secure the area. I'm going to the river. Yell if anything is amiss." Bonnie requests of everyone in a rather calm tone.

Hotgoblin

#87 Post by Hotgoblin »

Franny stares at Kelif for a moment... You ain't being very respectful, Priest!!! She walks past him, headed in the direction of the sobbing.

Scott308

#88 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

The dwarf keeps his crossbow readied. Letting others check on the sobbing, he will scan the area to see if he can spot any more of those evil blue creatures, or anything else that appears out of the ordinary.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#89 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris

With his pickbow locked and loaded and swung merrily over his shoulder once more, the gnome will cautiously follow along with Krystal to the sound of weeping.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#90 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Second Village
Mid Afternoon
Hot, Humid, Buggy

Keilif stares down Franny after her comment and then mumbles something to her as they walk towards the center of the village. "I suppose you think that murder is respectful?"

This village looks a lot like the last one, with several thatch huts and wooden platforms spanning the nearby trees. One big difference is that not all the huts have been burned. It looks like some of the huts closer to the center of the village are still intact. That is where the sobbing is coming from.

As you explore around this area, you find a few things of interest. There are many thick hemp ropes coiled and stretched out, hanging from a few of the wooden platforms. You also see many hangers, hammocks, nets, and a few other items that can be fashioned from these strong ropes. The nets and ropes look very well made, the craftsmanship rivals the best you can find on the mainland. Whoever made these items were extremely skilled in hemp fiber mastery. Bonnie doesn't notice anything out of the ordinary near the river bank, other than the hodgepodge of skiffs scattered about.

The crying and whispering seems to be coming from the central and largest hut in the village. The sea priest rushes forward before any swords are drawn or bolts are fired, hoping this encounter doesn't turn into another unnecessary massacre. He walks right up to the center hut rather recklessly and lifts the shutter flap on one of the windows. Suddenly there is a cacophony of female voices all shrieking in panic. The priest closes the flap again and moves to the door, flinging it open wildly and looking inside.

To your astonishment, there are several scantily clad female natives inside, some holding their young children who also look quite terrified to see you. You count 7 females in total, all kneeling around one very old and sickly looking woman who lies on a reed mat spread out on the dirt floor of the hut. One of these women jumps up when she recognizes Keilif and rushes him at the door. She grabs his arm in hers briefly then begins clicking and beeping at him in a language that none of you understand. After a few seconds Keilif speaks. "Calm down and speak slower. I cant understand what you are.......oh ya, you cant understand me either." He begins clicking back in short, one word phrases, but doesn't seem to be having much luck getting through to the frightened dark skinned girl. The others just look on in terror as you all stare back at them. Wes pulls out some rations and water, offering it to the sad looking group.

Actions?

Bonnie 6/6
Keilif 9/9 1/3 first

Scott308

#91 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

Brufrig will continue to watch for anything that may not belong in the village.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

Bonnie turns from the riverbank and starts checking the burned huts for bodies or remains. She looks inside any standing huts along the way.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#93 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris

With the quality rope just hanging about, Ferris will cut himself a nice length chopping a section with his cleaver and coiling it to stash away, (50'ft about average)."Better to leave the womenfolk to the priest and our own womenfolk."he says to the ladies present.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Spearmint »

Krystal follows the priest into the women's hut. Seeing the old crone she will step closer to look but she has no healing available. what do the tribes use, healing poultices, embroidered spells on bandages, etc?

Hotgoblin

#95 Post by Hotgoblin »

Keilif stares down Franny after her comment and then mumbles something to her as they walk towards the center of the village. "I suppose you think that murder is respectful?"
Franny contemplates Kelifs words...Call death what you will Priest, you say murder ain't respectful, but if you're being attacked, would you not fight back? You'd still be doing kill'n. You think me methods are wrong and that's your opinion, but that's the way taught, by me clan. Franny will remain outside the hut, keeping watch.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#96 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Second Village
Mid-Late Afternoon
Hot, Humid, Buggy

Ferris helps himself to 50' of the free high quality hemp rope, then stands guard outside with the dwarves. Bonnie checks out the other huts but finds that they have already been stripped clean of anything useful. Inside the central hut, Krystal looks around the place with trained eyes. She spots some small reed baskets of gathered food stuffs consisting mostly of jungle greens and roots. There are many rolled up reed mats that hold various simple wooden tools and possibley clothing. It all looks like it is packed for a quick get away. The old woman's ailments have already been addressed and tended to by means of a paper thin, amber colored leaf bandage, that the elf doesn't recognize, covering several spots of her frail skin. She sees no sign of any kind of magic ever being used here and there is nothing with any real apparent value.

Keilif seems to be getting more frustrated by the minute, still unable to make sense of the native woman's words. He tries to calm her down, but every time he speaks a word that the group recognizes, they all begin clicking and yelling at him at the same time, further damaging his ability to communicate. Finally, he holds up one palm to them and turns to the rest of you.

"As we expected, something terrible has happened to these people! Something we must get to the bottom of! I think she is trying to tell me who made these attacks on their villages. It sounds like the attacks were made by men. I keep hearing her say their word for captive, I think. Since there are no men around here, I am forced to fear the worst. I feel that we must move on to the next village. I know it is already starting to get late. We will be hard pressed to make it back to town today before dark. However, there is a communal gathering shelter up the trail another mile or so. I have been there before, but never beyond that. It should be safe enough for us to use for a while. We can rest and eat there before moving on to the next village in the morning. Are you all still with me on this?"

Actions?

Bonnie 6/6
Keilif 9/9 1/3 first

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#97 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris

"Sure we can go explore, just in case though and you lead us into a trap, remember old shorty here is pointed at you!" the gnome jokes, well half jokes, well he could be leading us to take us captive, couldn't he the little fellow thinks. nah, he is a priest after all.

"Say, what God is it that you religious folk pray to around here, cus I heard Mr Nehru threw you all out of Beachtown?". he asks.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Spearmint »

Krystal

"Maybe one of these could act as a guide for us, take us through some hidden jungle paths if necessary. They must know other places than the trail only." she asks Keiliff suggesting one of the older children."If they are bugging out this infested place, where do they intend to go?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#99 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Keilif answers questions as he awaits the groups decision.
Bluetongue wrote:Ferris
"Sure we can go explore, just in case though and you lead us into a trap, remember old shorty here is pointed at you!"
Keilif looks at the gnome with a confused stare, not sure what to make of his comment.
"Say, what God is it that you religious folk pray to around here, cus I heard Mr Nehru threw you all out of Beachtown?"
"He didn't throw anybody out of town! He simply doesn't like overzealous fanatics pushing their beliefs onto others, or religious factions vying for the biggest or best places of worship. I don't see any harm in that. If you are asking me personally, I worship the Sea Mother, Shileil. May she bless us all on land as well as on the water."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#100 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Spearmint wrote:Krystal
"Maybe one of these could act as a guide for us, take us through some hidden jungle paths if necessary. They must know other places than the trail only." she asks Keiliff suggesting one of the older children."If they are bugging out this infested place, where do they intend to go?"
"Why would we need a guide? Or to know anything about their secret spots hidden deep in the jungle? It sounds to me like you would enjoy exploiting these poor people even further someday?"

The sea priest shakes his head in disgust, having no idea why Krystal would suggest such a thing when he already clearly stated that he knows the way to their next destination.

"What we DO need is a translator. Too bad we don't have someone who could use magic to converse with these unfortunate native refugees. I think we would get some of the answers we seek if we could only carry on a simple conversation with them. We should have brought the wizard along with us."

He looks to Wes who just shrugs his shoulders, unable to provide what the cleric is asking for.

Return to “Completed Missions”