Quest #5 "Gathering River Water"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Quest #5 "Gathering River Water"

#61 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Run!

Alordan draws his blade and slashes at the vine holding the elf. In order to reach it he has to jump, which does work, but results in both of them falling down roughly to the ground. By the time he recovers and tries to pick the elf up to carry him away, a heavy barrage of rocks, sharpened sticks, and vine nets begins to rain down on everyone in the group. Alordan is hit many times. 5 dam Saracen is hit twice. 2 dam The unconscious elf takes some collateral damage and even the boy gets hit once. Give me a hard Dex check in your next post to avoid the falling nets.

The boy takes off running back the way you came in, trying to dodge the nets by scrambling under low hanging branches. "This way! They won't chase us past the beach!" The howling and chattering begins to get even louder. You finally start to see several of your attackers looking down at you as they descend from above.
IMG_0816.JPG
IMG_0816.JPG (101.92 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Actions!

Saracen Solaris 10/12 1/3 first
Alordan 5/10

I would think that Pholtus might have an issue with granting magical darkness, yes. :D

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen will make a leg for it towards the beach. If Alordan appears to be weaker than he he will offer to carry the elf in the rangers stead.

[4d6] = 11
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan heaves the elf over his shoulder and makes for the beach!

[4d6] = 20

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#64 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Saved By The......Boy?
Mid Afternoon

The vine nets are small and quite rigid, likely used more for confusion and slowing a target down than for actually ensnaring them. However, despite being designed for creatures much smaller than humans, somehow both Saracen and Alordan both become victims of direct hits. Alordan falls forward, again dropping the elf he is trying to rescue, who now starts to stir and regain his senses. Apparently, being dropped on the ground for the second time is enough to rouse the unconscious elf from his pressure induced, blood brained slumber. Both now crawling out from under the net, they make uncomfortable and confusing eye contact as they continue heading towards the beach.

The young boy turns back around to see what has happened and then immediately rushes back into the storm of rocks and sticks to help his friend. All three adults are hit again, but for far less devastating results this time. A-2, S-2, D-1 dam. As soon as the boy enters the clearing again, the rock throwing stops. He tosses the nets off of you and tugs you in the direction of the beach. "Come on Devrin! Let's get out of here! I told you not to try climbing up there!"

The elf, presumably named Devrin, is now able to cut his legs free. No longer being fired upon, you are eventually able to get yourselves back out of the jungle with no further damage. You finally burst through the tree line and make it to the safety of the beach. The boy looks at Alordan and Saracen as you all catch your breath again. "Thanks misters!"

Alordan 3/10
Saracen Solaris 8/12 1/3 first
Devrin Treesong 7/9 RM, DM, CL, 1/1 first

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan looks much the worse for wear...breathing and bleeding heavy... "It seems it will take an army to tame this island - if it can be tamed at all! Two steps into the jungle again and we find ourselves almost at our last!" Between breaths and moans and curses under his breath, Alordan nods to the newly met elf "You are lucky to be alive,... I'm Alordan. Saracen there. The boy we all owe thanks too. How did you end up nearly dead?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by SirOwen »

Devrin Treesong

As the elf, finally free of his bindings, stands and says with a smile, "Actually, between young Zelmin here and yourselves, you are all to blame for my being nearly dead!" He then bends down to the young man, "Because if it wasn't for you, I'd be really dead! My thanks, Zelmin. And you keep on giving me good advice. I'll try to listen harder."

"As for you, gentlemen, you also have my thanks. The hanging had left me witless and unconscious. If not for you, I don't know how long it might have been until the Monkoons cut me down. I hope you weren't forced to hurt any of them?"

Then the elf takes a few moments to, of all things, straighten his clothes and carefully adjust his gear, including a quick bandaging of his wound, careful not to get blood on his shirt or Leathers. When he seems satisfied, he nods. "There... everything in it's place." He holds out his hand, first to Alordan and then to Saracen. "I am Devrin Treesong. It is a grateful pleasure to meet you both!"
ravenn4544 wrote:Alordan looks much the worse for wear...breathing and bleeding heavy... "It seems it will take an army to tame this island - if it can be tamed at all! Two steps into the jungle again and we find ourselves almost at our last!" Between breaths and moans and curses under his breath, Alordan nods to the newly met elf "You are lucky to be alive,... I'm Alordan. Saracen there. The boy we all owe thanks too. How did you end up nearly dead?"
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen shakes the elf's hand and gives his grimace looking smile. "You are welcome," he says simply. He pats the boy on the back and thanks him for the rescue as well.

Seeing Alordan hurt very badly the half-orc offers a spell of healing light. [1d8] = 4
As the holy light flickers over the rangers wounds they close and scab over.

Finally exhausted of light magic the holy champion sighs and looks along the beach.

"Come, let us make out way to Beachtown and get you settled in. The island is a dangerous place. We were supposed to be heading out tomorrow to check upon our two comrades who wandered off into the jungle along the beach near the river after a native man. You are welcome to join us if you would like, yes Alordan?" Saracen says looking for approval from the ranger.
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#68 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Introductions are made as Saracen heals the rangers wounds, calling on the light of Pholtus to aid the human. His cuts and bruises begin to mend almost completely. The boy Zelmin watches on in mild amazement, normally not privy to seeing miracle magic happening right before his eyes.

"That's cool mister! Can you do it again? I am called Zelmin, by the way!"

He turns to Devrin, and asks the elf more questions.
"Dead schmed! You know those little guys wouldn't really hurt anyone! I've never seen them do any more than chase folks away! Mostly grownups! Sooooo? What did you see up there? Was it cool? Did they try to talk to you like you had planned? Sorry it took so long to come back and save you. Most of the venturers I asked wouldn't even talk to me, until I saw these two, that is. It's nice to have some friendlier people on the island for a change."

Alordan 7/10

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan looks at the boy with a raised eyebrow "If that's what you call 'not really hurting someone' I'd had to see what they'd do if they really did!"

"You tried to talk to those monkoons, you say? Was that successful? Have you seen a small brown native on your travels perhaps? We had a few friends head into the woods to try and help him but not sure what may have happened. We were indeed,"
nodding to Saracen in agreement, "heading back there tomorrow to see if they were okay"

Alordan thanks Saracen greatly for his healing powers!

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Storm11 »

The Orange robed half-orc nods in acknowledgement of Pholtus and gives another vicious looking grimace. (Smile)

"Creating a dialogue with these creatures might be a really good idea. Do you know much about them Zelmin? What do they eat, where do they lair, how many are here, that sort of thing?Sadly I cannot call up any more healing light until I am rested tomorrow. With some tending of wounds the elf here and I should be almost fully rested and mended by the morning without magic." the holy champion chats as they make their way along the pretty Beach to Beachtown. He mentions his god's graces and his abilities at Pholtus' divine blessing as he does so most fervently.

Once back to the town the half-orc will search the edges of the complex for any more herbs and spices and all things nices to recreate the druids bug repellent for a few applications for up to six members.
Greys Campaign.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by SirOwen »

Devrin Treesong
OGRE MAGE wrote:Introductions are made as Saracen heals the rangers wounds, calling on the light of Pholtus to aid the human. His cuts and bruises begin to mend almost completely. The boy Zelmin watches on in mild amazement, normally not privy to seeing miracle magic happening right before his eyes.

"That's cool mister! Can you do it again? I am called Zelmin, by the way!"

He turns to Devrin, and asks the elf more questions.
"Dead schmed! You know those little guys wouldn't really hurt anyone! I've never seen them do any more than chase folks away! Mostly grownups! Sooooo? What did you see up there? Was it cool? Did they try to talk to you like you had planned? Sorry it took so long to come back and save you. Most of the venturers I asked wouldn't even talk to me, until I saw these two, that is. It's nice to have some friendlier people on the island for a change."
"Actually, Zelmin," says Devrin. "I didn't see much. I'll bet I didn't get 10 feet off the ground before I hit that snare. And don't you dare apologize. You came back for a friend. That's what matters. And speaking of friends, I didn't see Stuart or Sally when I woke up. Are they OK?" Looking up at Saracen, he adds, "But the boy is right. It IS nice to have some friendlier people on the island. My apologies, Priest, it is Saracen, yes? But I do not recognize your blazon. To which god shall I offer my thanks for your intervention?"
ravenn4544 wrote:Alordan looks at the boy with a raised eyebrow "If that's what you call 'not really hurting someone' I'd had to see what they'd do if they really did!"

"You tried to talk to those monkoons, you say? Was that successful? Have you seen a small brown native on your travels perhaps? We had a few friends head into the woods to try and help him but not sure what may have happened. We were indeed,"
nodding to Saracen in agreement, "heading back there tomorrow to see if they were okay"

Alordan thanks Saracen greatly for his healing powers!
Devrin looks at Alordan and says, "Well, first off, I am afraid I have not seen your friend, I do not believe. I've been on the island about five days now. When I couldn't interest any of the adventurers I met to form an adventuring company, I started looking around on my own. Very carefully, mind you. The Monkoons caught my eye very quickly and I scouted out their village as best I could. You know that whoever built that town did it right in the middle of a Monkoon village? And it extends along the beach for about a mile in both directions, and Erevan alone knows how deep into the jungle. But I watched them and began to understand some of their ways. hehheh...and then I got too ambitious and tried to talk to them. When they wouldn't come down, I decided to go up... and that's when I ran into that snare."

"But they have never attacked me. It might be because I came with the children I befriended, or it might be because they recognize an elf as another, at least partially, arboreal race. But they didn't even attack me when I was alone in that snare. When they attacked back there, they might even have been trying to protect me from you. I just don't know."
Storm11 wrote:The Orange robed half-orc nods in acknowledgement of Pholtus and gives another vicious looking grimace. (Smile)

"Creating a dialogue with these creatures might be a really good idea. Do you know much about them Zelmin? What do they eat, where do they lair, how many are here, that sort of thing?Sadly I cannot call up any more healing light until I am rested tomorrow. With some tending of wounds the elf here and I should be almost fully rested and mended by the morning without magic." the holy champion chats as they make their way along the pretty Beach to Beachtown. He mentions his god's graces and his abilities at Pholtus' divine blessing as he does so most fervently.
"Ah, Pholtus shall hear from me tonight, then, in gratitude for his priest's aid," says Devrin. "I do not know if I shall ever become a devotee, but I do know enough to be grateful."

When they get back to Beachtown, Devrin will return to his shack, clean his wound carefully and re-bandage it. He takes his used bandages, cleans them and re-wraps them. He then climbs into his hammock and considers what he has learned about these adventurers who, finally, seem to have some measure of friendliness.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#72 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Zelmin answers the elf as the group walks up the beach back to town.

"Their mom needed help doing.....something, so Stew and Sal had to stay in town. I came back to save you though!"

"Ten feet my butt! You were a good thirty feet off the ground when you got caught. I thought you were going to crash to the ground and be dead by the time I got help"

Once back in Beachtown, Devrin goes to his shack to clean his wounds and his bandages. He spends some time thinking about his next move with the elusive monkoons. He ponders the words of his new friends and how they were going to go out to the river in the morning, wondering if he should accompany them or not.

Saracen and Alordan look around town a little before deciding what to do next. They search the edges of the jungle to find more of the ingredients for Wes's bug repellant salve. The afternoon rolls on as they search, eventually finding what they need. Just before the sun starts to set, the pair can see a lone figure slowly walking up the beach towards town from the direction of the river. They cant be certain from this distance, but it looks like it could be the half-elf, Wes.

Alordan 7/10

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Storm11 »

"Is that.... Wes coming back along the beach there Alordan? But where is the gnome? Come let us find out!" says the half-orc in concern. He begins to run towards the beach and the lone figure, careful to keep his flail in hand but not raised threateningly just in case it is not.
Greys Campaign.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#74 Post by SirOwen »

Devlin resolves to rise early and meet with his two new acquaintances in the morning, determined to find a company to join. Despite the assistance of the children, he is coming to think of this place as just too dangerous to wander around alone. That decided, he follows his nightly routine, placing everything in just the right place, in just the right manner, taking comfort from the form and function of his actions, the only thing in his life that has followed any kind of consistency, it seems.

Lying there in his hammock, he remembers his promise. He focuses on what Saracen was saying as they walked along the beach, and says quietly, "Pholtus Lightbringer, thank you for guiding the feet of your servant, the Half-Orc known as Saracen, pledged to your service, and strong in his faith, to me when I was in need."

And then he adds, "Lord Erevan, keeper of those Eldar who wander, thank you for bringing me comrades. Lady Hanali, patron of love, thank you for sparking mercy in their hearts towards me."

Finally, he adjusts the tarpaulin to catch what breeze there is, checks his "pillow", and goes to sleep.
"There is no spoon."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan catches what the boy is saying - or perhaps not saying - about his mother and makes a mental note to ask about that. Meanwhile, with their rash comrade seemingly coming up the beach, he warily joins Saracen to check on what he may have to say...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#76 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Reunited, And It Feels So Good
Nearing Sundown

While Devrin takes his leave to think and pray in the relative comfort of his own shack, the others rush off to greet the druid walking towards them on the beach. They find Wes in pretty bad shape. He is carrying the gnome Ferris in his arms, who actually looks to be in much worse shape. The druid is glad to have some help, even if it is only for the last few hundred yards of his long walk.

Saracen! Alordan! It is good to see the both of you again! I told you I would return before sundown!"

He hands off the gnome to anyone willing to help, warning them to be very cautious as he is very near to death in his current condition. "Lets get Ferris resting in a safe place so I can tell you everything that happened to us. Put him in the shack and lets meet up in the tavern." The druid begins to think about his past few hours, then hangs his head in sorrow and silence for the last portion of the journey. It doesn't take long for the rest of you to notice that the unconscious gnome is now without his precious crossbow/pick ax contraption. Whatever happened, it must have been pretty bad if he had to relinquish such a treasured item.

Go ahead and respond here if you like. Once Wes returns, I will pick this conversation back up in the Treehouse thread.

Ferris -3/7...... DM, RM, 1/1 first
Waesfaren Rhey 7/10.....2/4 first

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen lifts the slight gnome from the druids arms and makes a bee line for the little guys shack carefully.

"I cannot call upon the healing light until tomorrow sadly, it we can clean and bind his wounds somewhat to aid with any natural healing. What happened Wes? When you left us and went off into the jungle following that native man?" the half-orc asks sympathetically

Once Ferris is laid to his hammock and his wounds dressed and rebandaged, the half-off will wait by his side.

If the Druid asks or is interested the holy champion will tell of the rescue of Devrin
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan exclaims "You are lucky to be alive - running off like that!! The both of you!! We were attacked and suffered our own wounds as well! Thanks to Saracen for his holy hands - other wise who knows?!? Let's get Ferris settled and stable then we can attend to a mug of ale and an exchange of information....""

Alordan starts to wonder what truly terrible dangers the deep jungle of the island has to hide....

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#79 Post by OGRE MAGE »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Quest #5 "Gathering River Water"

Wes, Ferris, Saracen, and Alordan
set out to help the townsfolk gather water and to check out the river. (and beyond) They found the black cliffs and some obvious caves on the opposite side of the river. They also discovered a trail that follows the waterway up into the jungle. (S+A also spotted a strange water monster that was watching them from under the surface of the ocean as they passed along the beach)

Monsters = 0

Non Monetary Treasure = 0

Mission Accomplished = 400xp

100xp each for Wes, Ferris, Saracen, and Alordan

After the mission:
For finding some Monkoons and saving the elf Devrin....
Saracen and Alordan can each take another 100xp

Return to “Completed Missions”