Quest #5 "Gathering River Water"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #5 "Gathering River Water"

#21 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen stops and watches as Ferris and Wes approach the native man. When he sees Ferris introduce the group he puts down his pales and moves closer, palms empty and up to show he means no harm.

"What has happened to you?" he asks slowly pointing at the wounds
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan listens intently and not ignoring the man's wounds. He will offer his waterskin with a friendly smile and place on the ground if the man would like some.

To his colleagues, "maybe we can get him to draw what attacked him in the sand - if we can show that there are three of us, maybe he could also draw how many adversaries may be waiting for us. Worth a try before plunging into the darkness....."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#23 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The stout woman who appears to be the leader of the water gatherers pipes up again as 4 carts from her water train seem to be derailing. The four adventurers can hear her mumbling to the others as they continue to make their way back to Beachtown, not stopping to see what transpires with the native.

"Yep, it figures! Everyone pretends that they want to help at first, and then when a little distraction comes along, the work gets pushed off so the crazy adventurers can rush off into the jungle to get themselves killed. I've seen it a hundred times now!" The others do not stop, but each one of them looks back to see what is happening as they depart.

Once Saracen and Alordan also drop their pails and join up with Ferris and Wes, the lone man steps a few more feet into the bush with a frightened expression on his face. He keeps his spear held in a non threatening manner, but seems very agitated and confused at all of the talking and gesturing. It soon becomes clear that he has absolutely no idea what any of you are saying to him nor does he understand the intentions of your offerings.

"Help We! Help We!"
He continues muttering this as he waves his hand for you to follow him and takes off running up the trail that follows along the west bank of the river. He soon disappears around the first dark bend in the jungle trail.

Wes just looks at his three friends, unsure what they should do next.

Actions?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Storm11 »

"If you are planning on following this man I could just save you the trouble and DMs it your throats for you now and be done with it. This venture is liken to suicide". the holy champion says with a scoff.

"Perhaps tomorrow I will return and see if I can find the man, but not now, no."

The half-orc moves back to his pales and hefty them carefully, and rejoins the village carriers.
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan tends to agree. "Entering here now is not a good idea. I agree. While a chance to do some good, I don't think it's the time. We said we'd help these villagers so let's stick to plan. Maybe this Kelliff person knows something we can learn about these people."

He'll pick pails of water and does whats needed to get the carts back to town - and ensures the lady see's him doing it...

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Storm11 »

If the bone man comes back Saracen will offer to heal his wounds before he departs however
Greys Campaign.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris 'Braveheart Feeblemind'

"Well as the big lady said, young priest Keliff came here alone several times unharmed. Clearly the native man is in trouble, I can understand you guys wanting to trek back but you aren't going to find any further help in Beachtown. When you get back with the water will you turn around and trek back again before the sunsets? I made no promise to chaperone any water carriers but to explore the river and beyond. Are you coming too Beastmaster Wesfarian?"

Ferris marks the tree where they stand indicating he will try to be back here by sunset. "At least if my head is on a spear here you will know I discovered something worthy of note." he jokes then picking up the flask of 'firewater' rum, he follows after the native.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#28 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Waesfaren Rhey looks confused for a long while, not sure how he should handle this situation. This trip out here was his idea after all, and he didn't want anyone getting hurt because of it.

Saracen and Alordan wisely express absolutely no desire whatsoever to follow the strange native into the jungle this far away from town. In fact, they both retrieve their pail yokes and resume their place in the line of water gatherers heading back to town.

Ferris, the vertically challenged gnome, has had enough of trudging through the sand however. Having made no binding arrangements with these townies, he instead yearns for the information and excitement that the dark trail may bring. He looks up at Wes, asking him his position, then retrieves his rum flask and rushes up the trail after the bone wearing man.

Wes hesitantly shouts over to his friends in the departing human water caravan as they move down the beach. "We will not be long! I just want to see if we can help that man! I don't want to leave Ferris alone! We will return to town....with the water....before sundown! Fare well!" With that, the half-elven druid of Obad-Hai races into the jungle after the gnome and the native.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan shakes his head as the two run off into the dark and dangerous woods. "That's an impulsive move. Are you thinking of following them as well? I don't think that's exactly what we had planned when we made this trip out here..."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Storm11 »

"We have been duely warned that wandering off into the jungle is not wise. The priest in town has made friendly contact with the natives but no one else who has been here has in all these months. That doesn't bode well. I am of a mind to continue back to town with the water and come back tomorrow once am rested and my sun magic recharged completely. What say you ranger. You can track their progress yes, perhaps with a larger group of adventurers if there are any spare." Saracen offers.
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan nods in agreement "Let's head back to town - our pledge to help upheld. We can return when we have more strength to enter these dark woods.."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#32 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Beach Trail
Nearing Mid Day

With Ferris and Wes having disappeared into the jungle......again......despite the many warnings, Saracen and Alordan resume their original plan of getting the water and the townsfolk back to town safely. Having no desire for anymore dangerous encounters this day, neither feel guilty about leaving their friends to their own fate, sincerely hoping that Wes keeps his promise of returning before sundown.

The train of townies with their pails make surprisingly good time on the return trip as well, considering that they now all carry full loads with them. After about 2 hours of time and about half of the way back, The 2 adventurers temporarily turned servants notice something strange a few dozen yards out to sea. With the waves rolling into shore, they cant be completely sure, but it seems possible that the group is being followed. A strange fin of sorts that juts up out of the water periodically seems to be trailing the group along the shoreline.

Actions?

Please include a hard [4d6] Wis check in your next post for me.

Saracen Solaris 12/12 1/3 first
Alordan 10/10

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Storm11 »

[4d6] = 14 Spot on!

Saracen grunts at the ranger as he spots the trailing fin. "What on all that shines within the light most holy is THAT?" he says, staggering a little with his water pails.
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#34 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nice roll!

I forgot to mention that the actions of Wes and Ferris will be handled in the private threads.

That way you wont be able to tell how they died. :twisted:

Just kidding.........they might not die. :D

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Storm11 »

:lol:
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by ravenn4544 »

good luck storming the forest!

[4d6] = 16 (13 wisdom)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#37 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Alordan sees the fin pop up out of the water a few more times as the group continues walking but has no idea what the creature might be. So far, whatever it is hasn't revealed any more of itself yet.

Saracen notices that the fin is attached to the top of a roundish, green head. He notices that the head also has 2 bulging eyes that pop up above the surface of the water and watch the group every few seconds.

The thing is currently about 40 feet off shore and clearly keeping up with the group as it walks along.

Actions?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Storm11 »

The half-orc will call to the watercarriers and point out the strange creature. He will describe it if they can't see it. "What is that thing, have you ever seen it's like before? Is it friendly or a predator do you know, and are there a lot of them around the island?"

Saracen will wave at the creature after putting his pail of water down and see what it does. Is it humansized does he think, judging by the eyes of the beast.
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan squints to try and make out the creature in the water, "This island teems with life - in the jungle and now in the water it seems. Good to know, actually, as should we decide to sail around this island we best have our defenses up, as well as, sufficient skill to navigate this coast..."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#40 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As soon as the bright orange Saracen calls out and points to the creature, it drops under the water and doesn't surface again. The burly woman replies to him anyway.

"Aye! We seen em before! That's ol' Scraggly! He likes to watch us walk back and forth through here sometimes. He's hoping that one of us drags behind and separates from the group so he can get something easy and filling to eat. He won't dare try to mess with this many of us though. Looks like ya scared em off for now anyway."

"I think there is only one of em. He does have some other strange looking buddies around here somewhere though. I heard that, a few months ago, when folks had only been here about a month er so, Scraggly and two of his buddies attacked a small party of adventurers that just got off the boat. Only one of em was able to crawl back to town half dead to tell the tale. Can't say if any of that is really true er not though."

Return to “Completed Missions”