Quarks Tower

OGRE MAGE
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Quarks Tower

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

This is a squat stone tower right on the beach that appears to be constructed from a ships ballast stones. It is the only building in Beachtown that is constructed using stone and mortar. Like every other building in town, it has a pitched thatch roof with no access to the interior. There is a small sign on the tower's only door that reads "Quarks Office", but the door is tightly closed and is normally locked. There is a small sliding door built into the wooden door that has iron bars covering the opening.

map
IMG_0818.JPG
IMG_0818.JPG (463.61 KiB) Viewed 4707 times

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quarks Tower

#2 Post by Spearmint »

Krystal

Krystal will take a look around the tower, estimating how tall it is, how thick and sturdy the walls. A house built on sand? How deep do the foundations go? this close to the sea, is there any sign of a high tide mark?

Knocks on the door and rattles the iron bars to attract the attention of the person inside. "Hello Mr Bookkeeper, are you in?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

After scrutinizing the building for a while, Krystal determines that it is about 16-18 feet tall. She sees 2 windows with wooden shutters at about 14 feet off of the ground and the one main door, they all look to be closed up tight. The building does not look very well built at all and the high tide line nearly comes up to the base of the structure. Its wall thickness and foundation depth are impossible to determine from the outside.

A few moments after knocking on the door and rattling the bars, the tiny barred door that is built into the wooden door slides open to reveal a smallish, rat-faced human male inside. He stares out at you with a look of disgust on his face.

Ya? Wadda ya want?

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Monsieur Rose »

"Bonnie"
Quarks Tower

After wandering around the base of the tower, Bonnie heads to the door as she hears it open.
Bonnie smiles sweetly, putting on as much charm as she can muster.
"Ah, yes, good sir. I've recently come to this island and have heard that you and Captain Quark are the people to see."

Bonnie tosses her hair a bit and continues. "I was wondering if maybe, perhaps, you'd be able to help me a bit? My lovely friend and I are sooo interested in getting work on the island. Do you think we could talk about it?"

She makes a show of looking out at the sunset "Could we come in? It seems to be getting dark, and who knows what could happen to us out here."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The bookkeeper just stares out through the bars of the tiny sliding shutter. He makes no attempt to open the door for the 2 fine ladies.

The people to see for what? You trying to leave already?

The slimy looking little human just rolls his eyes at the obvious attempt at the old "swoon and enter" routine.

Save it gorgeous. I aint interested in companionship, and I know you aint really looking for someone like me either. If you are in need of transport, yourself or some cargo, then I can help you. If you're looking for a free place to crash, you've picked the wrong place. Try the tavern. Like I said, I aint interested!

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal

"Transport...oh yes, you could be the right man in the right place after all. There is cargo we need moving from the island, safe and secure and all fully insured of course. However I am trying to bypass some of Mr Nehrus' 'customs tax' if you know what I mean...May we come in?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The greasy, rat faced bookkeeper continuously looks back and forth between the girls for a few moments until a sickening smile crosses his face.

As much as I'd like to do some business with the two of you, I still cant let you in. Captains orders!

Tell me what you would like transported and I will log it for the captains review when he returns. Shouldn't be more then a day or two wait, if that suits your needs.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Monsieur Rose »

"Bonnie"
Quarks Tower

Bonnie returns the smile. "Excellent. That time frame should be fine for me. I'll be back when I finalize how many items I need."
"I'm Bonnie. How should I address you, Mister.....?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Clinton the Bookkeeper speaks a bit more professionally once he realizes that the girls actually might have some business for him.

The names Clinton. Clinton Bigsby! Its nice to meet you Bonnie. Sorry about that crack earlier. Not many lookers like you two around here.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal

"Oh, does Captain Quark come in weekly then or are there more ships due to the island? I was expecting with the trouble and distance it might only be a monthly service? When shall our esteemed Captain return?" says Krystal, peering close up to the bar doors, probably standing on tip toes because she is not too tall. "It will help to know in case we have need to transport 'live' cargo.", she makes a little growly purr and cat claw scratching sign.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Monsieur Rose »

"Bonnie"
Quarks Tower

"Nice to meet you Clinton. Never apologize for being cautious, it's helped me many times." She turns to Krystal "It's getting late, I'm going to head back to my shack."

"Do you have a place to stay?" Bonnie asks her while quickly glancing towards Clinton.

Bonnie starts walking up towards her hovel.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Spearmint wrote:Miss Tal

"Oh, does Captain Quark come in weekly then or are there more ships due to the island? I was expecting with the trouble and distance it might only be a monthly service? When shall our esteemed Captain return?" says Krystal, peering close up to the bar doors, probably standing on tip toes because she is not too tall. "It will help to know in case we have need to transport 'live' cargo.", she makes a little growly purr and cat claw scratching sign.
Clinton Bigsby

The captains schedule has changed a bit recently. We used to have 2 ships that regularly sailed back and forth at designated intervals. Now the trips are becoming more spread out and they are sailing less frequently. The captain didn't even stop in town when he came to the island today. I have no idea why either.

All I can tell you is that you will have to come back when he is here to discuss your business with him directly. I am just the numbers guy.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal

"No, I have arranged no accommodation yet. We should take a few firebrands to light our way through the settlement, don't want no creepy thing creeping up on us." Krystal will go stoke the nearby firepit in flame, chucking in several pieces of loose firewood or washed up driftwood. How big a bonfire can see get going?.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#14 Post by OGRE MAGE »

There is a small pile of branches and driftwood nearby the pit. A few locals are tending to the fire by occasionally tossing in some green leaves that increases smoke and decreases bugs. They will not simply allow someone to recklessly toss all of their wood onto the fire without a confrontation. (Shall we roll for initiative?) :D

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Spearmint »

Krystal

Will help toss a few bits of green stuff in the pit, exchanging pleasantries with the locals, perhaps roasting a marsh mellow or two and then retire for the evening.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Krystal gets one or two "get off my lawn" looks from the local men tending the night fire. They don't seem to like the fact that she is trying to "help", but they don't say anything about it out loud.

They smile when the two elf ladies depart and head for their shack for the evening.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

A few days later......

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#18 Post by OGRE MAGE »

:oops: Since I cant seem to follow my own rules, I am just moving these posts to the correct thread. :lol:
OGRE MAGE wrote:
Inferno wrote:Jack, lost boy:

At the sight of the approaching ship, Jack loses interest in searching the beach. He scampers to the town pier to watch the big boat dock and its passengers disembark, especially the funny dwarves.

Then he quietly sneaks after that mean jerk, Captain Quark, to secretly eavesdrop on what he has to say to Mr. Nehru.
Huffing and puffing from his long jog back to town, Jack sneaks around and in between the buildings on shore, trying to prevent the mean grown-ups from seeing that he is following them. He sees the two men enter the captains stone building, so he gets up close to the squat tower to see if he can hear what they are talking about. With no windows to be seen, the lost boy presses his ear up to the thick wooden door.
Give me a d20 roll, please.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Inferno wrote:Jack, lost boy:

Jack listens with all his might!

[1d20] = 11

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Little Jack presses his ear tightly to the thick wooden door, trying to hear the conversation inside the tower. There is a little bit of sound coming from the small barred and shuttered opening above his head, so Jack stands on his tippy toes to stretch up high enough to listen.

He hears the muffled voices of the two men inside. His ol' friend Captain Quark seems to be very upset about something while Mr. Nehru seems to be trying to calm him down. The boy cant make out any actual words of the conversation, but it sounds like Quark is bitching about someone and isn't actually mad at Nehru.

One muffled name keeps coming up over and over in the tirade. It is a name that the young old little elf has heard before. The name is........ Captain Stew Bing!

A little old man walks by the side of the building and smiles at the antics of Jack with his ear pressed firmly against the door. The old man chuckles a little and moves along.

Return to “Big Shiny Island (1E Sandbox, with real sand)”