Hi-Lo (mercantile)

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Hi-Lo

#121 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey enters the Hi-Lo after Sotha goes in. "Mmmm. Good day to you, I'm sure," he says to the dark stranger who, frankly, looks as if he's seen better days. He wonders what ship he came in on. When Sotha has finished with the proprietor, Chauncey pipes up: "Mr. Nehru. Yes, I've posted a sign, you see, outside your establishment, warning the villagers not to cut down any more trees until further notice. This is due to ongoing negotiations with some local inhabitants that will, hopefully, in the fullness of time, grant us some advantage. It occurred to me, however, as I hung the notice, that not all the villagers will, in fact, be able to read it, due to extreme ignorance. Could you please pass the word along to those who enter? I thank you."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#122 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dalor wrote:Taking note of the sign Sotha merely grunts hoping it doesn't say not to disturb the occupant of the building. He instead walks right in and looks around.

"My name es Sotha, I am 'ere to do work wit my bow an' my spear. 'Oo do I talk to eh?"
The tall, skinny Mr. Nehru and the short, round Nalissa are stocking their newest items on the shelves as the two men enter the store. Mr. Nehru smiles at Sotha and welcomes him into his store.

"Do come right in Mr. Sotha! I don't think I have seen you around town before. You look a little rough at the moment, are you felling well, sir? I do have some work opportunities to offer, but this is a very dangerous place to be running around on your own. Did you come here with others?"

He then sees Chauncey enter behind the dark savage and assumes they are together.

"Ah yes, Mr. Chauncey was it? Good to see you alive again, sir. Your sign will work for those who can read. We are not all dotards around here you know. I will help pass the word around to the others to halt any more tree cutting until an accord can be made. We did know about the tree dwellers before this, but we have found it difficult to attempt any type of communication with the dumb animals."

"Tell me, how goes the zombie hunt? Did you at least figure out where they are coming from yet?"

Dalor
Strider
Strider

#123 Post by Dalor »

"Aye, I came wit' udders. Dey be dead now. Da big lizards eat dem." He points to his own chest, "Dis one know 'ow to live in da jungle an' find 'is way." He looks over at the one called Chauncey and points at him "Dat one got da look o' da book on him an' you worry 'bout dis one?"

Turning to Chauncey and places his palm flat on his bare chest, "Sotha is not hav'n no edges mahn. If'n you be need'n a fighta Sotha can do dat no problem. From da jungle is me home."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Dalor wrote:Turning to Chauncey and places his palm flat on his bare chest, "Sotha is not hav'n no edges mahn. If'n you be need'n a fighta Sotha can do dat no problem. From da jungle is me home."
Chauncey turns to address Sotha: "Um... yes, well, by all means. More fighting power is always welcome around here, I think you'll find, sir." Then, turning back to Nehru, "We should consider the zombie problem to be current and ongoing, if you will. The investigation has turned up more mysteries than answers, so far, I'm afraid, and in pursuing it we may, collectively, have overextended ourselves, capability-wise. Resulting in the very near death of some. But make no mistake, we will solve the case. In the meantime, have you any perhaps shorter term tasks that, say, my new compatriot here and I, with he assistance of a select few others, might tackle, for the betterment of the settlement?" He seems unaware of the dopeness of his unintentional rhyme.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#125 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Mr. Nehru is very happy to hear that Sotha is an experienced jungle man. "How perfect! You should be a great asset around here then. Big lizards ate them you say? That sounds terribly frightening to me. Where did you see these big lizards, pray tell?"

The proprietor nods his head as the two opposites attract, listening intently to Chauncey answers his question about the zombies. He lets the pair speak to each other before trying to answer the wizards inquiry.

"Yes, so I see. Very well then. Let me think on your request a bit. Betterment of the settlement you say.........

Well, there is the problem with the monkoons that Randall is always complaining about. I know he wants them done away with if that is possible. Lets see, what else is there.....

As the man thinks on it, suddenly a loud scream is heard coming from outside. Mr. Nehru and Nalissa's eyes grow wide. The latter rushes to the window to see if she can spot the source of the scream.

Mr. Nehru speaks again. "Or.........you could check that out."

Dalor
Strider
Strider

#126 Post by Dalor »

"Yes, da lizards ate dem an' den..." Sotha begins to say; but the scream from outside makes him scramble toward the door and peer outside with his bow in hand an arrow at the ready...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#127 Post by OGRE MAGE »

When the native fighter rushes to have a look out the door, he spots movement in the direction of the head of the loggers trail. A few townsfolk are running towards the water as if they have again spotted something dangerous moving down the trail towards town.

Sotha 12/12
Lightfinger 7/7
Chauncey the Adequate 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first

Dalor
Strider
Strider

#128 Post by Dalor »

OGRE MAGE wrote:When the native fighter rushes to have a look out the door, he spots movement in the direction of the head of the loggers trail. A few townsfolk are running towards the water as if they have again spotted something dangerous moving down the trail towards town.

Sotha 12/12
Lightfinger 7/7
Chauncey the Adequate 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Sotha quickly moves outside so that he can get a better view of what is happening.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by ChubbyPixie »

At the sound, Chauncey unceremoniously hikes his robes up over his ankles and scuttles out the door after Sotha, mentally preparing to cast as soon as he knows what they're up against this time. How on earth has the settlement survived this long with the constant and varied threats! he thinks.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#130 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Since hopefully this encounter isn't happening inside the store, lets move this action over here.

viewtopic.php?f=446&t=6347&p=313886#p313886

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#131 Post by OGRE MAGE »

SirOwen wrote:Avalaa

Not that he would ever have need of such information, but Avalaa does take note of where Mr. Nehru goes and where he looks when he feels that his most valuable items might be at risk. Avalaa files that information away under "You Never Know".

"I hope everything is OK, Boss," Avalaa says. "Look, now that the excitement is over, I'm going to get back to work on your desk."

And the mage does exactly that, choosing the best grain patterns for the desktop and deciding what kinds of joints he wants to use on the side panels as he finishes cutting and sanding the parts for the drawers.

OOC: Time check? Is Rollo getting hungry? Am I?
You might be hungry, it is the middle of the afternoon and you worked right through lunch.

Mr. Nehru seems happy that another disaster was avoided, further solidifying that he made the right decision by allowing adventurers to travel here for free. He goes about his normal business once he sees the battle is already over and no harm has come from yet another attack on his town. He addresses his carpenter.

"Your work is very nice indeed, Avalaa. I am glad that we could do business together. Say, you must be getting hungry, no? Nalissa and I were thinking about giving Randall's jungle stew a try. Would you like us to bring you some back so you can continue working?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#132 Post by SirOwen »

Avalaa

"Why yes, Mr. Nehru, that would be fine. I think you're going to be pleased with the result. The local wood has a nice, light color to it. I think this desk will brighten your whole office!"

Pointedly looking at the scorched tips of his fingers from the devastating bit of magic he displayed a few moments ago, Avalaa asks,"I don't mean to sound cheap, sir. But a poor man has to look to his few resources. You did offer to buy my lunch, yes? This isn't coming out of my future wages?"
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#133 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Mr. Nehru
"Of course! My treat! Its the least I could do for a brave and helpful adventurer. We will be back with something for you soon. I am going to lock up the front. If anyone stops by with an emergency.....tell them that we are in the tavern."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#134 Post by SirOwen »

Avalaa

Smiling and nodding, Avalaa goes back to work, sparing just enough of his attention to notice if Rollo wants to go out. "Don't you worry," he tells the dog. "We'll eat in a bit. I cannot even imagine you skinny."
"There is no spoon."

Dalor
Strider
Strider

#135 Post by Dalor »

Sotha walks into the Hi-Lo again; his face perplexed and filled with ire at the same time.

"'ello? Where did da mahn go?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#136 Post by SirOwen »

Avalaa

"Oh! Hello. If you're looking for Mr. Nehru, he and his wife stepped out for lunch. He should be back presently. Say, aren't you the man who took on that zombie monster with us a little while ago? Good work on that. You know your way around a blade. Made it dead before Rollo here could even get in a bite." Avalaa holds out his hand. "Pleased to meet you, again I guess. My name's Avalaa."
"There is no spoon."

Dalor
Strider
Strider

#137 Post by Dalor »

Sotha

Sotha takes Avalaa's hand, "I am Sotha Mnumbai." Releasing Avalaa's hand he looks around. "I guess I wait. He tol' me dat I could get da work."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#138 Post by SirOwen »

Avalaa

"Well, he did find work for me! I came here with nothing but my clothes, a couple items and my dog, there." Avalaa throws a thumb towards Rollo, now out of his armor, lying by the wall. "I told him I could build him a fine desk, and bang! We worked out the terms, and now I have a place to live and money on the way."

Avalaa continues cutting some dovetail joints for the drawer corners as he speaks. "So what brought you here, Sotha? If I had to guess, I'd say you are come from the across the southern seas. A long trip."
"There is no spoon."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger strolls into the Hi-Lo.

Smiling pleasantly to all he may meet, the tall Halfling accidentally overhears the conversation between Sotha and Avalaa. Once noticed, his eyes do not leave Rollo. He orders fruit juice and nods to the huge animal. Big dog, He acknowledges, Back home we use them to furrow the fields. Artemis Backbrush, at your service, tho my trade name is Lightfinger. He chuckles a moment. No need to check your personals, I assure you. My intent is to acquire gold, and well, let's face it, no one who frequents here is worth robbing. Except maybe Randall, who keeps robbing us the price of these drinks. I was among those who sought to slay the Zombie-King, or whatever he is. Pity he is so slippery. I almost envy him that. At any rate, when my friends return from their various missions, I intend to once again embark with them on further outings. I'm certain one of the mystic talents would be welcome, as well as one who knows the terrain, if you would be so inclined.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#140 Post by SirOwen »

Avalaa

"Nice to meet you, um, Lightfinger," Avalaa says."I am very interested in joining a group to investigate whatever mysteries this Island might have. I just hope it pays. In any event, I need about another day or two to finish this desk for Mr. Nehru. Making it paid for my shack and some money. I am what the rich people call The Poor People." The mage shrugs. "Other than Rollo, I don't have any friends or partners here, yet, so please keep me in mind. I can pull my weight no matter what the circumstances."
"There is no spoon."

Return to “Completed Missions”