Hi-Lo (mercantile)

Dalor
Strider
Strider

Re: Hi-Lo

#141 Post by Dalor »

Sotha

Watching the two talk, Sotha strikes on an idea. "I know da place o' a pair 'o ruins. I seen dem on me way 'ere." He looks back and forth at the two standing with him and then rethinks his idea. "God-sized lizards dat eat us be 'round dem doe."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Hi-Lo

#142 Post by OGRE MAGE »

In the Back Room
Mid-Afternoon

Small talk is made in the back room of the temporarily closed Hi-Lo.

The normally sound halfling is slightly confused as to his current whereabouts following the tumultuous battle.

Sotha drops a bomb on his unsuspecting new friends, telling them of secrets known by him alone.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Hi-Lo (mercantile)

#143 Post by SirOwen »

Avalaa

"So... Sotha, do you think a quiet mage and his big, but obedient dog, a much quieter halfling and a trained jungle warrior might avoid and sneak past these man-eating lizards? Or are they only good for running away from?"

"Well, because this is supposed to be a newly discovered island. And the story makes it sound like it's actually an old, abandoned island. And if they abandoned it in a hurry, who knows what got left behind? I make really nice desks, but only out of desperation. I'd rather be a wealthy adventuring wizard.... with his wealthy adventuring dog."

Avalaa finishes sanding the joints on the drawers, fits them together and slides them smoothly into the runners in the front of the desk. "Damn this is going to be a nice desk." Avalaa mutters.
"There is no spoon."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger rubs his chin in further confusion.

Hmm, he mutters, his eyes trailing across the room, No one's ever accused me of being quiet before. Quite the opposite, in fact. I'm usually told I babble entirely too much. Oh! You mean...He covers his eyes with a hand and bursts into giggles. Yes, of course. I can be utterly unheard.

Still, I do believe it would behoove us to wait until my friends all return. We've already had several unpleasant run-ins with the local wildlife, both natural and otherwise. I myself was nearly devoured by a shadowcat! Seems every time some of us cart off into the jungle with too few in attendance we get into trouble. What sounds like a good plan has indeed been foolish, and many of us have paid a painful price.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#145 Post by SirOwen »

Avalaa

"Well then," says Avalaa. "The only thing I want more than being a wealthy adventuring wizard is to be a breathing adventuring wizard. Wait it is, then. Thanks for the insights, Lightfinger!"

Avalaa goes back to working on the desk. His plan is to create a desk with no nails, screws or even dowels. His strategy is a series of tight locking joints, swelled by the humid air into permanent lock. So the pieces are all just to size when first fitted, a bit oversized as they swell and lock together, and then sanded back to their proper size and moisture sealed to keep them the perfect size. Finished, it will be solid as a rock and look like a single piece of wood.

He finishes the joints and fits them snugly together. Now he needs to let the humidity work on the structure for a day or so, to swell the dry pieces.

He and Rollo eat the stew Mr. Nehru brought back from the tavern, Avalaa getting most of it, but Rollo getting a little spread over his food as well.

"Mr. Nehru," Avalaa tells the man. "The parts for the desk are finished and assembled. But everything is at a critical stage at this point. We are waiting for the moisture in the air to swell the wood and lock all the pieces together tight. That's going to take about a day. Just don't disturb it or let anyone else touch it tonight and tomorrow. After that, it's just a matter of sanding, sealing and polishing. We're almost there."

After making sure that Nehru understands not to fool with the desk, Avalaa stands up, puts Rollo's armor on him, and they go for a walk around the compound, before calling it a night.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#146 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Mr. Nehru is quite impressed with the quality and look of the desk so far and he listens to his instruction intently. He gladly hands over the large wooden bowl of Randall's jungle stew to the man and his dog.

"Well I have never seen such quality and knowhow. This thing is truly going to be a piece of art when you have finished. If you keep doing work this good, I will have to find some more items for you to construct. You really do have the magic touch when it comes to woodworking, master wizard. If it weren't for all of the dangers around here, I would tell you to give up on your dreams of adventuring, but we really do need folks like you to help eliminate threats like we had here today. If we keep having these uninvited zombies roaming into town, I fear that we will never be truly safe here."

The proprietor and his worker, Nalissa get back to their duties around the store, thanking Avalaa once again as he makes his way back to his free shack for the night.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#147 Post by OGRE MAGE »

ravenn4544 wrote:With one task in the works, Alordan heads to the Hi-Lo to look at getting some rope to go with the hooks.
Getting Close To Mid Day

Nalissa is at her usual spot behind the counter. She smiles at you as you enter.

"Yes sir? What can I do for you today? As you can see, we have everything that an adventurer needs right here in one place."

The dark skinned, not so attractive looking, large woman smiles pleasantly as she looks you up and down.

"So what have you and your friends been up to out there in the jungle? I see that you are still in one piece, so you must know what you are doing. Found anything exciting out there yet?"

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan stares at the lady without responding for what becomes an uncomfortable silence "er - sorry ma'am. Exciting is not the word I would choose, but it's a word. We lost a comrade yesterday. A terrible beast came from the water and slew him with one mighty bite - it was... terrible."The site of the gore and the blood he keeps to himself, of course. It's enough that he'll have that in his mind's eye for a long time to come..

"We aim to kill the beast. kill it dead for the good of the island. To that end, I'm interested in any line you may have that is thick and sturdy. Maybe some of the sturdy sheets that you provide to the sailors in the area?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#149 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa looks ashamed at her choice of words once she sees the pain in the rangers eyes.

"I didn't mean......I am sorry to hear that you lost a friend. Especially if you are speaking of that damn sea monster that stalks the eastern beach. The water gatherers have told me about that one." She looks around the storeroom after the request for strong line.

"There are definitely dangers that need to be dealt with around town. I am glad to have you big strong fighter types here to help. It is a huge boon for this settlement, that is for certain."

She looks around again and over her shoulder a few times before continuing.

"I will tell you what......the sailors always leave tons of rope behind here and there. We have been saving it to recoil and then sell, but if you are putting it to good use, why don't you just take what you need. Do NOT tell Missa Nehru that I gave it to you though, or he will feed me to the sharks."

There is a mismatched pile of used but nice rope coiled up in one corner that she points to. There is enough thick, strong rope to make several fishing lines.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan smiles and nods thanks "Ma'am, that is most appreciated. My thanks for your help - I am glad to see that folks like yourself are looking out for the greater good of the town. With so much unknown about the secrets of the jungle we ought all be as thoughtful as you." With a small bow he rifles through the rope taking the most suitable lines to help weave his trap....

He leaves 3sp in thanks on the counter.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by ravenn4544 »

OOC: if it makes sense based on the crab planning, Alordan could go with them as the hooks and ropes are in progress.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#152 Post by OGRE MAGE »

SirOwen wrote:Avaala rubs the coconut oil into the wood of the desk and drawers and polishes the top. He spends a little more time than actually necessary to get as good a finish as he can.

"Mr. Nehru," he says as he finishes it. "Here is your desk. And I would wager that it is among the finest pieces of furniture within a hundred miles."
"It is a thing of beauty to behold. A real masterpiece. You have proven your wood crafting skills ten fold and have produced something even better than you originally described. A skill like that could make you rich back on the mainland, Though, admittedly, there likely isn't much of a call for such artistry here on the island."

I know we agreed on free lodging while you worked on it, but I don't think that does you and your skill enough justice. How about if I offer you a permanent shack, take your pick, for as long as you would like to stay here. Would that work for you as a little extra compensation?"

"Tell me......did you do this all by hand? Or, was there a little magic involved? I had heard that you took down that undead monster nearly all by yourself, and with a great and powerful spell, indicating to me that you must possess a great deal of arcane skill as well."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#153 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

Avaala actually blushes at all the praise. "Thank you, Mr. Nehru. I am just glad you like it so well."

"A permanent shack? In addition to the 25 gold? Yes, sir, that would be quite acceptable. Thank you very much. As for which one, Rollo and I like the one we're in. I may make some improvements on it, if you don't mind."

Avaala smiles and shakes his head. "No, sir. No magic, although I wish the man who taught me my craft was here to hear you ask. Higher praise could not be bought!" Avaala shrugs. "I wanted to learn a new craft when I was much younger. I wanted to learn magecraft and I found a new teacher. That big blast I used on the monster was a parting gift he gave me."

Avaala reaches down and scratches Rollo behind the ear. He looks back up at Mr. Nehru and grins, "And if the mage business doesn't pan out, I might be able to help with some nice shelving and cabinets to store your inventory."
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#154 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Mr. Nehru

"Yes. Of course it is over and above the promised gold. And still well worth it in my opinion."

"As you may have noticed, I take an extra liking to anyone who is serious about making improvements to our little community here. I know that it doesn't look like much yet, but I have some serious aspirations about this place. I know we can make a go of things out here, and I appreciate anybody who is willing to lend a hand. You seem like someone who also cares about their community. I respect that."

"I know we are not without problems here, but with folks like you and your friends around, I also know that things will get better for everyone, eventually."

"Can you tell me of your future plans a little? I might be able to lend some advice or maybe even assist you to some degree."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#155 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

"Truth to tell," Avaala begins. "I don't really know. My teacher and I had both decided it was time for me to get out into the world for some practical learning to augment my magical skills. I packed up a kit, spent most of my money on my friend Rollo here, to help with unforeseen troubles, and hit the road. A few weeks later, I saw the advertisements for adventurers to this Island and signed up. Really, all I have in mind is helping the people here, make a few friends, and become a rich and powerful wizard one day." He finishes with a smile. "A NICE, rich and powerful wizard."

Avaala considers the offer of help. "How are you set for tools? I know as a cabinet maker, tools make everything go faster and easier. I know we're all looking to make a profit, by hook or crook, but you might consider them an investment. And if you are asking me personally, I could have finished that desk faster with real varnish, and as a mage, I always need writing gear, quills paper and the like."
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#156 Post by OGRE MAGE »

"I can get things from the mainland, but it does take some time. I know that people grumble about my pricing, but there isn't much I can do about that until we can establish a more frequent and financially friendly shipping system. The good Captain Quark is our only means of transport now that his co-captain has deserted him. He is rather upset about it, but the man is far too busy with his usual route to be able to look into the issue."

"Tell me, have you or any of your friends made contact with the rouge captain or any of his crew while out in the jungle, per chance? They seem to have completely vanished, but nobody has seen them sail away from the island, so they have to be around here somewhere. The last I heard, they were cutting trees to ship back to Saltmarsh, but that endeavor seems to have stopped recently."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#157 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

Avaala shakes his head. "I haven't seen the captain, but I haven't been here very long, and I don't think I've been more than a few feet into the jungle as of yet. But I will ask the others and get back with you."

The mage considers the question a little more carefully, and then says, "You know, given some of the wildlife, and even monsters, on this island, I hope nothing happened to them. Maybe we should look into this. It might be a bit, though. I know the others have some score to settle with a troll that lives off the coast somewhere, so they'll want to deal with that first. But then maybe we should look into this, especially if the wood shipments have stopped."
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#158 Post by OGRE MAGE »

"They have stopped shipping lumber all together. That ugly pile of black logs is still sitting there on the beach. Pretty soon, I am going to let the townsfolk take them and use them for building material."

"I know that the jungle is not a safe place, and that the island is full of dangerous monsters, but these guys were pretty tough and well equipped. And there was like......30 of them. I don't think they simply vanished or all died somehow. They were a pretty grizzled bunch, if you catch my meaning."

"If you guys are going after that damn troll, that should take precedence. I have heard that it killed another poor adventurer recently. News like that doesn't exactly bolster morale around here. Especially with our water gatherers. The sooner that beast is dealt with, the better!"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Some time the following morning after talking to Avaala, but for potentially leaving for the beetle hunt.

"Mr. Nehu! :D Just the man I need to talk to. So I have an idea for helping everyone here in town. Back home, my family ran a logging and lumber company. I spent most of my time helping my dad in the mill slicing and forming raw trees into dimensional lumber for building. Now, imagine that in the hands of someone with a little skill and knowhow. What could they do? Even someone with no skill, could request lumber all uniformly cut according to a plan, and could peice it together for say a shelter, or a chicken coop. We could give out lumber kits, precut for projects. Quality of life goes up, everyone is happier and healthier. We have plenty of trees to feed it, and now you can ship easily packed bundles of lumber to the mainland for a good price when we begin getting a surplus here. I can build and run it, all I need it the axe i have here for that. What I need from you, is to get a letter out to my dad, asking for the sawblade. So... what do you think?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#160 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

"Very well, then. I'll be sure to ask the others if they have seen the crew. Good night, sir."
"There is no spoon."

Return to “Completed Missions”