Hi-Lo (mercantile)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Hi-Lo (mercantile)

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Hi-Lo is a mercantile store that sells, buys, and trades in most goods. Their inventory is normally quite limited and the prices are exorbitantly high. The building itself looks well made, with square walls and several hardwood shelves throughout. It is adjoined with a smaller room that is portioned off behind the main interior of the building to form a private office for the owner, Mr. Nehru.

Anything pertaining to purchasing items or lodging will be handled in this thread along with any dealings with Mr. Nehru regarding "work".

Shoppers might have noticed a new flyer now hanging prominently above the counter in the general store:
Guild Flier.jpg
Guild Flier.jpg (101.18 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
SirOwen wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:59 pm"And lets say the Initiation Fee is 50 gp. Out of which, your cut is one gold and ten silver, just to hold the funds and issue a receipt. Monthly dues are 33 gold and your cut is one gold each. Along with your share of all off-island ordered magical supplies, this could be quite profitable."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Hi-Lo

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Mr. Nehru

"All right then folks, if you need accommodations, listen up!

I have a few private shacks available, they can hold up to 4 people. I rent them by the week for an upfront charge of 5 gold coins. You can only rent them by the week. More of them open up all the time.

I can also offer you a bed in one of the common houses for 1 gold a week, but I must tell you that it is a rather crowded and unsanitary place to sleep for my liking.

Well then, who's first?"

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Mr. Nehru, sir, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance," says Chauncey. "I would be delighted if you could help me with the procurement of some decent lodgings here in one of your most well appointed shacks, please. I'm sure I should like also to buy some general supplies in the near future, but for now, in addition to the room, would you be so kind as to let me know where I might find provisions of a less mundane nature? That is to say, magical. A delightful island you have here, sir. Have you lived here long?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

"Nice to met you sir! We have nothing in the way of magic for sale per say, but I can usually get some speciality items brought in from the mainland in about a week or so.

All of our shacks are decorated the same. 4 hammocks, a chair, a table, and a chamber pot. I will require a payment of 5 gold before I can assign one to you.

I have been here longer than anyone else in Beachtown. Tomorrow will be 2 months."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Oh, I see..." says Chauncey, a bit disappointed. "Well, I suppose I'd better secure the best, eh, of that type that you can manage." He hands over five golden coins.
Deducted.
"One on the end, if you please. I'll need as much quiet as can be managed... for my studies." He frowns. "At this rate, my funds will soon be depleted. Is there any means of gainful employment on the island for a man of my peculiar talents?"

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Nuke66 »

Raythan

Raythan also hands over 5 gold for a room. He thinks to himself than he could commission his own shack for about as much.

He was surprised as he climbed the ladder only to step into the local pub. He passes, still a bit confused.

OOC: man you guys move fast!

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes shakes his head in disappointment when he hears the cost of the shacks. His funds being currently depleted, due to donating towards Jack's passage on the Twisted Fate, he's unable to meet Mr Nehru's price. Deciding that he needs to round up a room mate, he heads on over to the tavern to gauge who may be interested in sharing the cost.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen is happy to share with Wes. Safety in numbers and all that!" he grins in his feral unnerving way.
Greys Campaign.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Urson »

Luther

I guess I'm sleepin' rough for a while. Luther says, obviously not bothered by the idea.

Mr. Nehru- has anyone made a good, reliable map of the island? If not, I'm thinking I might do it.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#10 Post by OGRE MAGE »

ChubbyPixie wrote:"Oh, I see..." says Chauncey, a bit disappointed. "Well, I suppose I'd better secure the best, eh, of that type that you can manage." He hands over five golden coins.
Deducted.
"One on the end, if you please. I'll need as much quiet as can be managed... for my studies." He frowns. "At this rate, my funds will soon be depleted. Is there any means of gainful employment on the island for a man of my peculiar talents?"
Mr. Nehru replies calmly after searching through his ledger.

"As of right now, the shack closest to the trail in the back row is available. It seems that the previous occupant hasn't returned yet from investigating the jungle. That happens a lot here, unfortunately."

Nehru takes your 5 gold coins and places it in a strong looking lockbox that sits on the corner of his desk. He then writes your name in a large log book.

"Thank you Mr. Chauncey. And, welcome to Big Shiny Island!

If it is work that you are seeking, I do have one issue that needs investigating if you feel up to it. Its these damn undead that keep coming into town. I have no idea where they are coming from and lack the time to investigate it properly myself. If you would like to look into that for me, I would offer a small reward for any information that you could obtain about it. The amount would depend on the detail of information, of course. Does that sound like something that might interest you, sir?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nuke66 wrote:Raythan

Raythan also hands over 5 gold for a room. He thinks to himself than he could commission his own shack for about as much.

OOC: man you guys move fast!
Nehru holds out his hand to collect the coins.

Do you have a preference as to where? Do you also require your own private quarters, or do you have a roommate in mind?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Urson wrote:Luther

I guess I'm sleepin' rough for a while. Luther says, obviously not bothered by the idea.

Mr. Nehru- has anyone made a good, reliable map of the island? If not, I'm thinking I might do it.
Mr. Nehru

"That is a great question my large friend. Unfortunately, the answer is no. I haven't been able to convince the good Captain Quark to circumnavigate the island yet. He thinks it might be too dangerous to sail in these uncharted shallows. It would be a mighty undertaking doing it overland, but I would certainly pay dearly for them if you have skills in that area. What did you say your name was again?"

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris the gnome,

Lifts a pouch of egg shaped stones, emptying it onto the office desk. "These came from here I am lead to believe, most worthless but nice smoothed quartz, calcite, this here a piece of red granite. Where are the 'shinies' this island is reputed to have? Got a fancy heavy pick and a strong arm for digging?" Ferris looks at the state of the office and chief Nehru, not convinced that a motherlode as yet been found.

"Is that 5 gold pieces for the shack or 5 gold pieces for the bed in the shack?" he asks Mr Nehru then in an aside to the Adequate he says, "Rough camp on the dock for a week and save the gold, buy enough wood to build your own and then rent out space to under cut these prices. Are you in with me?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Urson »

Luther

Name's Luther- some folks back home call me The Bear.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by ChubbyPixie »

OGRE MAGE wrote:"Thank you Mr. Chauncey. And, welcome to Big Shiny Island!

If it is work that you are seeking, I do have one issue that needs investigating if you feel up to it. Its these damn undead that keep coming into town. I have no idea where they are coming from and lack the time to investigate it properly myself. If you would like to look into that for me, I would offer a small reward for any information that you could obtain about it. The amount would depend on the detail of information, of course. Does that sound like something that might interest you, sir?"
"Hmmm." replies Chauncey. "Interesting proposition. I think this could be managed, yes - with the proper team assembled. Not to be crass, but what sort of monetary recompense are we talking about, sir, in totality, and for what exact result? Information only? Eradication?"

To the Gnome, Ferris, he replies "Sir, I don't believe I've made your acquaintance. I am Chauncey the Adequate. I'm afraid 'roughing it' will not be possible for me to begin - I need my rest and space to study. I agree the price for the shack is rather exhorbitant, but I assure you, I don't plan to reside there long - I intend to be incredibly wealthy. I see you are familiar with gems and the mining of such - I will have need of regular accesss to gemstones in future, when I achieve the highest levels of wizardry, dispensing Wishes and such, and therefore would be delighted to 'team up with you,' so to speak, in some venture or other. In fact, how would you feel about joining me in discovering the source of the zombie scourge? I've just been offered the job and am looking for compatriots. We should also seek the assistance of the cleric, Saracen. And some other fighting types, I would imagine. What do you say?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The old man continues scribbling names into his ledger.
"It is nice to make your acquaintance, Mr. Luther. Do you require lodging too? If not, please step back outside while I take care of some business here. Thank you for coming to the Island, sir!"
Bluetongue wrote:Ferris the gnome,

Lifts a pouch of egg shaped stones, emptying it onto the office desk. "These came from here I am lead to believe, most worthless but nice smoothed quartz, calcite, this here a piece of red granite. Where are the 'shinies' this island is reputed to have? Got a fancy heavy pick and a strong arm for digging?" Ferris looks at the state of the office and chief Nehru, not convinced that a motherlode as yet been found.

"Is that 5 gold pieces for the shack or 5 gold pieces for the bed in the shack?" he asks Mr Nehru then in an aside to the Adequate he says, "Rough camp on the dock for a week and save the gold, buy enough wood to build your own and then rent out space to under cut these prices. Are you in with me?"
Mr. Nehru gives the gnome an astonished look when he discusses trying to undermine his business right in front of him. He flicks through the bag of colored stones with a slight hint of interest. He picks one up for a closer look and responds.

"If these did come from here, how did you get ahold of them? I don't know of any mining that is going on here? Are you sure that you weren't simply duped by someone who sold you some colored glass in the guise of gems? There is not much value here that I can see.

The 5 gold is for the shack rental, for 1 weeks time. There are no actual beds in the shack. But there are 4 hammocks that you can use."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

ChubbyPixie wrote:
OGRE MAGE wrote:"Thank you Mr. Chauncey. And, welcome to Big Shiny Island!

"Hmmm." replies Chauncey. "Interesting proposition. I think this could be managed, yes - with the proper team assembled. Not to be crass, but what sort of monetary recompense are we talking about, sir, in totality, and for what exact result? Information only? Eradication?"
"Well, Eradication would certainly be worth more to me than a simple investigation. I will pay you 100 gold coins if you can find the source and put a stop to it. Does that sound fair to you sir?"

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by Nuke66 »

Raythan

As the conversation, Raythan gets his gold out, as he holds it out he confirms. "5 gold a week for a cabin?"

He waits for a reply, turning to Luther, "Hold on a moment Luther. I'd like to speak with you."

He marks the conversation between the proprietor and the gnome, noting the Gnome for further discussion.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris

picks at the loose stones with his pick, then picks his nose in disgust. "Sure most of these are not valuable, make pretty sling shot and counter balance for weight measures. Must be some other gems here, rock and sand hide plenty underneath, perhaps pearls in the reef clams."

He re-pouches them and takes Chauncey to one side. "Okay, we can team up and split everything equally. If we are to unearth the undead crypts and their secrets we need a cleric at least, perhaps another weapon smith."

He discusses the offer from Mr Nehru with Chauncey, "The gold sounds good but never accept the first offer!" he says tapping his nose and stroking his beard in a 'knowing the trade' kind of way. "Push for 150 gold but accept 120gp with one team shack with hammocks thrown in for a full week and a two days expedition supplies days of fresh food and clean water."

He looks to Chauncey to negotiate, perhaps being much more a man of motivational words and inspirational charisma.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Raythan pays 5 gold for a random cabin as he listens to the conversations in the room. He asks Luther to hold off so the two can talk.

Ferris seems a bit insulted by Nehru's words as he collects his faux treasures. He mentions that there must be hoards of shiny gems around hidden in the sand and rocks of this island.

Mr. Nehru

"You know, I do remember a small band of dwarves that came to the island about a month ago. They also spoke of mining and claims as you do. They trekked out into the jungle shortly after they arrived and I haven't seen one of them since."

Ferris pulls Chauncey aside to have a private conversation about how to better approach his negotiations.

Return to “Completed Missions”