Hi-Lo (mercantile)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Hi-Lo

#81 Post by OGRE MAGE »

tkrexx wrote:Lightfinger rubs his chin in thought.

Hmm... I see. Well! I must thank you graciously for the information you've provided, dear Lady, it will put to good use, I assure you. Speaking of good use, I believe I will purchase a week's worth of rations, if you please. Just the regular rations, I find the iron rations a bit untasty. And another score arrows for my friend, the Bear Man, what's his name? Loomis? He's a Ranger, you know, and the best chance we have for bringing fresh vittles to the tables of Beachtown, which seem to be as needed as protection. He happily pays the steep price with only a slight grimace, then twirls a single coin of platinum under his index finger on the counter. Any other information that comes your way would be ever so appreciated! Smile. And if you see that old... If you see Harold, tell him the Hobbit would like a word with him, hm?
What's the price damage?
Nalissa
"That will be 15 gold for the rations and 10 more for the arrows. I will let ol' Harold know that you would like to see him the next time he comes in.........Lil' Arte." She smiles widely and seductively at you, showing a few missing teeth. She never takes her eye off of the platinum coin under your finger.

That's 25 gold plus the 5 gold tip = 30gp.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger gives Nalissa one final wink before exiting the establishment, and gets as far away as he can before choking back a gag. The ghastly things I subject myself to for the general well-being of this party!
Cash adjusted.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Walks into the shop of the Hi-Lo and grins big at the pleasent lady working behind the counter. "Hello! My name's Monocar, Monocar Jemara. Looks like a nice little store you have here. Bet you keep busy here huh?"

He walks right up and takes her hand in both of his and shakes them enthusiastically. Then he turns and starts looking around at everything. "I don't suppose you have something simple for hunting like a sling or a bean-flip? We went up the logging trail earlier and heard about those Monkey Koons plus we were attacked by a bunch of plants... kinda crazy when I think on it. Anyway, we are going to try again in the morning and I figured having something with a reach would be good in case they attacked or better yet we saw something worth eating. Say..." He looks at her and smiles even bigger.
"If we got a few rabbits, and I saved the hides, do you think anyone here would be interested? Maybe someone can make a nice hat or scarf out of them, that has to be worth something. A pretty lady like you would looks dazzling in a rabbit fur scarf! Speaking of rabbit... what do you have for food? I've not eaten since we were on the ship this morning and one thing my brother back home said was that I could never be called late for supper since I was always the first at the table. I have some rations, but to be honest they are kind of boring and I'd rather save them for the trail. We're going up the trail tomorrow, did I tell you?

Hey! If we make it to the Logging camp, is there anything you need delivered? Mail or anything? Maybe something you would like to have brought back? I'd love to help out. What do you know about the trail heading that way anyway? Do bushes usually go swatting pretty elven ladies on the tushy like that? I didn't tell you about that did I? Bonnie is her name... well I was carrying her back to town when the bush whacked her on the rump... oh hey! Bonnie got bushwhacked! That's kinda funny! Bushwhack Bonnie... sounds like a pirate name! Arg! I'll need to tell her that one... I bet she will get a giggle out of that.

I'm a little short on gold at the moment, but I was wondering if you would be willing to trade? Not that I can't pay, I just want to know for future reference and all that. Like if I wanted to trade my crowbar for an axe or something like that? Looks like we need axes more than crowbars around here. I come from a family that got a start in logging you see, and I look around here and see all kinds of opportunities! What a great place to get a start! Well, you know that already don't you? Anyway I might need an axe soon, what do they run around here? Just a standard woodsman's axe, not like one of those fancy mithril ones that never dull or anything.

Oh, and is there a nice place around here to camp overnight? Don't need a week in the shack if I am leaving in the morning and all that, just one night, or if you know someone I could shack up with for one night and pay them a little silver or something. Shack up... Ha! Kind of litteral in this case I suppose... Hey! My friends back home used to look at me like that, right about the time that my brother would tell me to Shu...oh...." he blushes a little and smiles at the pretty lady taking a breath.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#84 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa 's usually wide smile fades little by little as the brute blathers.
Bluehorse wrote: Looks like a nice little store you have here. Bet you keep busy here huh?"

"I don't suppose you have something simple for hunting like a sling or a bean-flip?

"If we got a few rabbits, and I saved the hides, do you think anyone here would be interested? Maybe someone can make a nice hat or scarf out of them, that has to be worth something. A pretty lady like you would looks dazzling in a rabbit fur scarf!

What do you have for food?

Hey! If we make it to the Logging camp, is there anything you need delivered? Mail or anything? Maybe something you would like to have brought back?

What do you know about the trail heading that way anyway? Do bushes usually go swatting pretty elven ladies on the tushy like that?

I was wondering if you would be willing to trade? Like if I wanted to trade my crowbar for an axe or something like that?

Is there a nice place around here to camp overnight?

Hey! My friends back home used to look at me like that, right about the time that my brother would tell me to Shu...oh...."
he blushes a little and smiles at the pretty lady taking a breath.
Well, since this is the only store on the island so far, I do keep pretty busy here.

Sure we do.....we have spears, slings, bows and arrows, and daggers. We are all out of darts right now though.

She starts shaking her head in confusion when the fur hat and scarf is mentioned.
You do realize that it is like 90 degrees outside here......right?

We have some rations for sale, standard and dungeon type. Not much else in the way of food though, I'm afraid. You must eat a LOT I'm guessing?

I don't need you to bring anything to the loggers, and I certainly don't want anything that they might have to deliver here.

I have never been up the trail very far, but I don't know of any bushes that attack people. Are you sure you weren't just a little caught up in the moment?

Sure! We barter all the time here. Most folks don't even have coin. I have 2 axes but no crowbars. I will trade you straight up, your crowbar for a normal wood ax if you are ever interested.

You don't have to rent a shack, but I've found that most people who sleep out in the open around here regret it pretty quickly. This island is hot and muggy, making it difficult enough to sleep in good conditions. There are also a LOT of biting and stinging insects that like to crawl up into places you really don't want them, especially after dark. I should also mention that we are certainly not the only inhabitants of this place either. There is no telling what might want to come up and have a taste of you while you are asleep out in the open. You can camp anywhere outside that you want to, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it unless you absolutely have to.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar Jemara

Beams as the woman passes on all the information and genuinely listens taking in all the advise and suggestions. "Okay, I'll start with a sling. Maybe we can get some meat tomorrow.
OGRE MAGE wrote:Nalissa
I have never been up the trail very far, but I don't know of any bushes that attack people. Are you sure you weren't just a little caught up in the moment?
"What moment?" You can almost hear the crickets.

OGRE MAGE wrote:Nalissa
Sure! We barter all the time here. Most folks don't even have coin. I have 2 axes but no crowbars. I will trade you straight up, your crowbar for a normal wood ax if you are ever interested.
"Oh! That's good! When we get back I was thinking of taking on some clearing and thinking of the treeline. Im a logger and a carpenter by trade back home, and thought maybe I could get some people together and make some more permanent buildings, and eventually help get a lumber mill up and going, maybe encourage some more tradesman to start a farrier or blacksmith and the like. If you hear anyone that interested in that, I'd sure appreciate you telling them. Maybe we can build you a place first. A nice log cabin with a heavy door to keep the zombies out." He grins. Somehow you get the impression the lovable fool would keep his word.

He nods slowly as he listens to her advice to find shelter. "I didn't think of that... I suppose I can find someone that would let me rent a space in their shack for one night. Any suggestions? Do the only rent out by the week or could I get one for just the night?"

He takes out his money purse, ready to pay for the sling.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#86 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa

Mr. Nehru only rents the private shacks by the week. You cant get them for any less than 5 gold, but you don't have to stay the whole week.

She looks the mountainous man up and down before continuing.

They aren't exactly spacious. I think you might have a hard time convincing someone to share theirs, but you could definitely ask around. Otherwise, we do offer beds by the night in the common houses. Those are only one silver per day, but its not exactly nice or quiet in there.

Your intentions to clear more land is great news and will be very much appreciated by the gardeners. They are already running out of room to plant crops. I will let people know and maybe get you some help.

As far as the sling goes, I have one here for 2 gold. I can throw in 20 bullets for another 3, making the total for both 5 gold pieces. Would you like to buy it? I cant take credit.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar Jemara

Reaches into his coin purse and pulls out three gold looking a little embarrassed, but hands her all three. "2 for the sling and one more all all the help. Thank you!" somehow, despite obviously being now dead broke, he still smiles cheerfully. "Sounds like I'll be in the common room tonight! Have a great evening, ma'am!" he walks out putting the sling in his belt whistling loudly.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#88 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa looks excited by another unsolicited offer of free gold.

Thank you for your business and good luck out there!

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

Bonnie rushes up to the door, trying to make it before it closes.
"Hello? Are you still open?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#90 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa Was just about to lock up for the day when Bonnie arrives.

"Hey! Aren't you the girl that got real sick? How are you feeling now? Better?"

The well meaning shopkeeper looks down at your hands and her eyes grow wide.

"Goodness gracious! Is that from your sickness?"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

A bit put off by the blunt nature of the shopkeeper, Bonnie pauses for a heartbeat then recovers.
"Thank gods you're still open! Yes, my hands. I touched something out in the Jungle, and had a bad reaction." Bonnie blushes slightly. "I'm surprised you remember me, but yes, I was quite sick when I first got here."

She leans in conspiratorially, and looks around before she speaks again. "Just between us girls, my hands are a bit of an embarrassment. It's hard to keep up appearances and ... direct attention ... to my better features with bright blue hands."
"Do you have anything that could help, or maybe cover them? I'm meeting some people at the tavern in a few minutes."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#92 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa

"I like how you say that as if you are going to a formal ball or something. I'm afraid I don't have anything real fancy, but I can order you some fine leather gloves. I guess that won't help."

She goes to a side shelf and retrieves a pair of white cloth gloves.

"This is the best I can do for now. One gold per pair. We also have them coated in a waterproof substance if you'd rather. Those are more though."

"What do you think?"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

Bonnie is visibly relieved to see the gloves. "Yes! Those white ones would be great! Thank you so much."

She puts down a gold coin, and puts the gloves on. "Could we keep this between us?" She asks with a embarrassed smile, "I don't want to be know as the blue handed elf lady."

Thanks again! I'll see you later.

Assuming everything is ok, Bonnie makes her way to the treehouse.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#94 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa seems genuinely glad to help. She chuckles at the request.

"Sure thing, dear. I am always glad to help! Come back any time!"

She goes back to closing up her shop for the day.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#95 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Storm11 wrote:Saracen will take the centipedes to Mr Nehu as he requested. He will also ask the good leader of Beachtown if he would pay the poor half-orc for calling upon his god's Magic to increase the water in the store of town.
In the dark of the night, Saracen walks around to the back of the long since closed Hi-Lo, hoping to find Mr. Nehru still there. He sees a few candles still burning in the darkness so he knocks softly and enters.

Mr. Nehru is shocked to see the pair of two foot long bugs at first.

"Oh my, those are huge! And disgusting! Much larger than the ones we see around here!" He gets up from behind his large desk and takes a closer look at them. "Eeeewwwww! You should take those down to the fire pit and let the men tending the fire cook them up. They might make for a nice breakfast treat for the early risers at least."

When asked about replenishing the water stores for gold, the skinny man replies. "Well, I couldn't pay for such services, but it would save the people that usually fetch it every morning a trip or two. Let me think about that and get back to you."

"Say, were any of you able to learn more about the zombie intrusions?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Storm11 »

"We didn't come across any sign of the zombie trail, but we found a second track and headed off down there towards some kind of dwarf mine, following some tracks of some small footed humanoids. We were attacked by massive apes and a panther that nearly finished off the halfling before we ran it off, as well as the giant centipedes. They are a good group of adventuring folk but we need more provisions if we are to make the mines, more waterskoks and rations and perhaps a mule of some sort. Things to think about. I sure would appreciate some kind of way to make a living as I have no money left and the jingle was not a lucrative place. Good evening Mr Nehru and sorry to disturb you so late."

With that the holy champion will head to the fire pits and deliver his centipede delicacy, hoping the fine cooks can feed the village at breakfast with their carcasses.
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#97 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The self proclaimed leader of Beachtown nods often and even jots down a few notes as the half-orc tells his tale. He nods in approval at his words when he leaves, sincerely wishing him a good evening.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#98 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

After Monocar helps bring the body back to town, Brufrig will bring it the rest of the way to Mr. Nehru's office. Hauling the body inside, the dwarf calls out, Mr. Nehru, sir? I'm sorry to bother you, sir. On the road outside town, we were accosted by bandits, who we killed. We found a note on this one that read like this guy might be your nephew, although we don't know for sure that the note hadn't been taken from someone else. Anyway, what I'm tryin' to say is that if this is your nephew, I thought you should know. If not, we killed the people that robbed him. Maybe robbed other people in town, I don't know. If anyone had run into bandits, they shouldn't have to worry anymore.

Having said his piece, the dwarf stands there, waiting uncomfortably for Mr. Nehru's response.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Urson »

Per a PM discussion with BlueHorse, Luther will wait until the visit with Mr Nehru is finished before he approaches Monocar to suggest lending him some clothes and gear.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Return to “Completed Missions”