Hi-Lo (mercantile)

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Hi-Lo

#61 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

Sold! Brufrig will count out 8 gold pieces, placing them on the counter in front of Nalissa.

That sounds like a good idea, Ferris. I would appreciate the company, and if we can find something to eat, that bucket will come in handy. If you are ready, we can get the bucket and head out now.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#62 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Luther heads back to the Hi-Lo to speak to Mr Nehru.

Sir- I have to ask: who originally planned this colony? Some of us are planning to try and find the source of these walking dead you're dealing with- tell me everything you know about 'em... Please.

more questions will follow, I'm sure.
Mr. Nehru

"Well, in actuality, nobody really planned this colony. It was a bit more of an afterthought. The loggers that were coming back and forth started to bring their loved ones over with them, and then little by little, this town started to sprout up. More and more commoners decided that they wanted to get away from their mundane lives back home, so they paid the fee and came here to start anew. Once there were too many civilians here to keep watch over, Captain Quark decided to start shipping willing adventuring types such as yourself here for free to act as the protectors of the place. He figured that it would work in everyone's favor if we had a few folks that wanted to search the jungle and take care of all the nearby threats."

"As for the zombies, I have no more information that I can tell you about them. This was the second attack in a week. A few days ago two of them wandered into camp from down the trail. They were easily defeated, but it still shook up the community a lot. During the incident today, there were even more of them and I have no more information about them this time than the last. I look forward to anything that you and your friends discover about them. You will be doing us a great favor by putting a stop to the attacks."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Urson »

luther

That explains a lot. A colony that just happened would have a lot more problems than one that had been planned before hand.

As for the zombies, we'll keep you informed.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Zombies! I should imagine we'll be hearing a lot less talk of them after I've dealt with the menace tomorrow!" says Chauncey confidently as he re-enters the Hi-Lo. He seems to be in good spirits, perhaps... slightly buzzed? It's hard to tell. "Mr. Nehru! I require a stout sack, if you please. A small-ish one. Or perhaps two. And, some workmans gloves? Do you have such a thing? They needn't be very fine." He attempts to look pleasant, but seems unable to completely adopt a non-semi-creepy demeanor. He stands there smiling with one eyebrow raised, absently twirling the end of his moustache.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Urson »

Luther

I think we'll need to go to the other door to buy our goods, Chauncey.

Luther does this, smiling pleasantly at the woman tending the shop. Darlin', I could use some more arrows- but I spent every copper getting to this crazy island. Is there any possibility I could get a small amount of credit? Just enough for a dozen arrows, until I can round up something valuable? I'd sure appreciate it.
He's laying on whatever charm he can manage, of course.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#66 Post by OGRE MAGE »

ChubbyPixie wrote:"Zombies! I should imagine we'll be hearing a lot less talk of them after I've dealt with the menace tomorrow!" says Chauncey confidently as he re-enters the Hi-Lo. He seems to be in good spirits, perhaps... slightly buzzed? It's hard to tell. "Mr. Nehru! I require a stout sack, if you please. A small-ish one. Or perhaps two. And, some workmans gloves? Do you have such a thing? They needn't be very fine." He attempts to look pleasant, but seems unable to completely adopt a non-semi-creepy demeanor. He stands there smiling with one eyebrow raised, absently twirling the end of his moustache.
Mr. Nehru just shakes his head in bewilderment.

"Why is it always the smart ones who have the hardest time catching on?"

He nods his head sarcastically once the Bear explains how things work to Chauncey.

"Thank you, gentlemen."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#67 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Urson wrote:Luther

I think we'll need to go to the other door to buy our goods, Chauncey.

Luther does this, smiling pleasantly at the woman tending the shop. Darlin', I could use some more arrows- but I spent every copper getting to this crazy island. Is there any possibility I could get a small amount of credit? Just enough for a dozen arrows, until I can round up something valuable? I'd sure appreciate it.
He's laying on whatever charm he can manage, of course.
Nalissa is certainly charmed by the big bears smooth demeanor. But not enough to bend the rules.

"I'm sorry sir. I'm sure you do mean well and all, but I just can't allow you to take anything without payment. Any credit issued will have to be cleared with Mr. Nehru."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by ChubbyPixie »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Mr. Nehru just shakes his head in bewilderment.

"Why is it always the smart ones who have the hardest time catching on?"

He nods his head sarcastically once the Bear explains how things work to Chauncey.

"Thank you, gentlemen."
"Ahem. Yes, of course... I knew that," says Chauncey weaving perhaps just slightly before turning smoothly on his heel and following the Bear to the other entrance. He listens to Luther's exchange with Nalissa, then interjects: "Good lady, I myself need the following, a pair of small sacks, a pair of sturdy gloves, some darts, like these..." he shows her one of his own metal throwing darts, "...and...how much are the arrows my friend Luther is requesting?" Aside to Luther he adds, "If the price is reasonable, I may be able to accommodate you until such time as you can repay me. Who knows? I may have need of your help in the future. As unlikely as that may seem, given my abilities and resources..."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#69 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa looks thrilled that someone just asked her about an article of clothing.

"Hello there, sir! I have regular ol' cloth gloves for one gold per pair. But I think that you will find these more to your liking."

She pulls out a pair of normal leather work gloves that have some type of hardened substance covering the palms and fingers.

"These are the gloves you need out here! One of the only sensible things that I've gained from the loggers. They coat these gloves with some substance from the tree and they develop a nice durable grip that doesn't take away from their flexibility. I personally love these things."

She pulls out a few sacks that also look to be dipped in the stuff.

"They tried it on sacks too and it makes them nearly waterproof. These are 2 gold each, the normal ones are only 1 gold. The good gloves are 2 gold as well. I'm fresh out of darts. Some pointy hat was in here yesterday and bought all I had.

That'll be 4 gold for your stuff and another 10 if you want to buy your friend a dozen arrows."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger strolls into the Hi-Lo.

His Thieves' eyes quickly taking stock of the general store, the Halfling smiles pleasantly at Chauncey and Luther. Ah! Happy to see you fine Gentlemen preparing for the best and worst this isle has to offer! Has anyone heard any more about the Zombie invasion, or has anyone told you of the Monkoons who inhabit the forest just outside the clearing?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#71 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa keeps an extra watchful eye on the tiny new shopper who has just entered the stores.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Urson »

Luther

That's fine, Nalissa- I wouldn't think of askin' you to break the rules.
I appreciate your help very much, Chauncey. I swear I'll repay you as soon as possible. Say Thankya.

Once business is done in the shop, Luther will stop in for another word with Mr. Nehru.

I had one more thing, sir. Had you considered going back to Saltmarsh to find some sponsors? I would guess that, just like any other town of any size, there are rich folks who want to get richer. If you- or someone you trust- were to find some investors, you might be able to buy the stuff these folks need to make an actual colony of this place, not just a shirttail logger's camp.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by ChubbyPixie »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Nalissa looks thrilled that someone just asked her about an article of clothing.

"Hello there, sir! I have regular ol' cloth gloves for one gold per pair. But I think that you will find these more to your liking."

She pulls out a pair of normal leather work gloves that have some type of hardened substance covering the palms and fingers.

"These are the gloves you need out here! One of the only sensible things that I've gained from the loggers. They coat these gloves with some substance from the tree and they develop a nice durable grip that doesn't take away from their flexibility. I personally love these things."

She pulls out a few sacks that also look to be dipped in the stuff.

"They tried it on sacks too and it makes them nearly waterproof. These are 2 gold each, the normal ones are only 1 gold. The good gloves are 2 gold as well. I'm fresh out of darts. Some pointy hat was in here yesterday and bought all I had.

That'll be 4 gold for your stuff and another 10 if you want to buy your friend a dozen arrows."
"Waterproof bags!" begins Chauncey enthusiastically before remembering his recent lesson in bargaining taught him by the Gnome, Ferris. He realizes he must now have spoiled everything. "Very well... I'll take the gloves, the waterproof bags and the arrows for Luther." Turning to the ranger he adds, "Aim carefully. Misses are expensive here..."

He will then exit the shop to see if he can locate Wesfaeren the druid in order to plan for the monkoon observation mission.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#74 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Lightfinger, Luther, and Chauncey briefly discuss the zombies and monkoons as they take care of some business at the Hi-Lo.

Chauncey gives away his excitement about the dipped bags and realizes that he just blew his chance to try out his newly learned bargaining skills again. He reluctantly hands over the 14 gold and gives Luther his dozen arrows. He then suggests that he and the halfling head back to the tavern to find Waesfaren, hoping to discuss their groups next plan of attack.

Luther heads around the building to see Mr. Nehru once again.
Urson wrote:Luther
I had one more thing, sir. Had you considered going back to Saltmarsh to find some sponsors? I would guess that, just like any other town of any size, there are rich folks who want to get richer. If you- or someone you trust- were to find some investors, you might be able to buy the stuff these folks need to make an actual colony of this place, not just a shirttail logger's camp.
Mr. Nehru smiles and nods his head at the rangers logic, chuckling a bit at the mention of the shirttail camp.

"That does sound like a logical approach Luther, and believe me, I had thought of it. The problem that I am faced with is that this island is as of yet uncharted and unexplored. The captain has been my only contact between this island and anywhere on the mainland, and I am at his mercy as far as who he conducts his business with back home.

Until I have something substantial to entice others that may want to invest, I am unable to do much recruiting of the rich and famous. Most of the adventuring types that have arrived so far are more concerned about how they can benefit from what they find here. Not many are like you and most don't concern themselves with making the town better. But with your maps and exploration, we might just find something that will bring others willing to invest in the betterment of our little town."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Urson »

Luther

Then I'll see what I kin do. Luther grins, starting to feel like Nehru may actually be a decent person after all.

Rejoining Chauncey and the little thief, Luther says, What other plans you fella got for the rest of the afternoon? I got some snares to make, I want to scratch up some drinkable water, and I better get a decent night's sleep. That'll be a lot easier on solid ground, believe me.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger notices Nalissa watching him.

As soon as business with Chauncey and Luther is completed, dimples return to the Hobbit's face, and he immediately sets himself to charm a Lady. Good Day, Miss! I'm happy to see you've met some of my associates. I'm Arte; my trade name is Lightfinger. Fear not, plying my talents here would leave few suspects, I reckon. Wink. No, my needs now tend toward knowledge. Our welcome was a smidge troubling, and my curious nature demands I learn all I can of these Zombies. Where, I wonder, do they come from? Are they former residents of Beachtown? What of those Monkoons? Is it true they stole a baby?? Or do they tend to target food? And, just one more, do you happen to be acquainted with an old GeezElderly Gentleman, possibly impaired in his walking? I ask because he used a rather large walking stick, and, well, I kind of owe him my life. He fried a Zombie for me. Finally he ceases his barrage and leans forward and rests his elbows on the counter, chin upon his hands and stares as deep as Nalissa's eyes as possible, awaiting response.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#77 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa stares at the halfling as he puts on his schmooze, not sure if his intentions are true. By the time he is finished, she is eating out of his tiny hands.

"Well, aren't you just the most charming little thing? I don't know where the zombies are coming from, but they are not people I've ever seen before. They looked pretty old to me, but I just hid in here and locked the door.

The monkoons are a menace its true, but I don't know of any baby being stolen by them. You are right to think of them as pesky thieves. No offense meant of course.

I know the old mage that you speak of. He has been in here a few times. He seems a might frail for these surroundings to me, but he has always been pleasant to deal with professionally. I think he said his name was Harold. He has been here for a few weeks now, I think. He is never around town for very long it seems. He is a bit of a loner and likes to walk around in the jungle all by himself.

Do you need anything else, cutie pie?"

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by tkrexx »

At "Cutie Pie," Lightfinger's smile grows bright enough to light up the room. I have her!

Ahem. Harold, you say. Seems Harold is a hardy individual, toddling thru the forest alone, and all. Yes, very hardy, and confident in himself. The Monkoons, what precisely do they steal? I ask because, in all honesty, I see very little in the way of items worthy of pilfering in Beachtown. Speaking for myself, of course, I couldn't begin to imagine what those little pesties could find valuable. I doubt they would be bouncing around the treetops brandishing Human-sized weapons, or boots, or lanterns, but trinkets, shiny trinkets! Jewelry, coins, gemstones... I've heard of many creatures longing to collect such items. Why, I have a cousin, twice removed, Mayweather by name, who joined an outfit headed to the Tusman Hills for adventure, and they came upon a nest of wasps as big as ponies! Inside each of the nests hollow egg-tubes was a small gem. I guess the wasps put them there for luck?

The rakish Hobbit rolls his eyes in thought. And food. Raccoons and opossums raid our gardens back home, rummage our rubbish, and even sneak thru open windows to steal a rhubarb pie every once and again. I suppose that's what I'm curious about: What do these Monkoons eat?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#79 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa seems astonished at the giant wasp story.

"I'm told they steal anything that is left lying around. They try to get into the gardens anytime there aren't enough people watching.

I think they will eat almost anything, but I don't know that for sure. "

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger rubs his chin in thought.

Hmm... I see. Well! I must thank you graciously for the information you've provided, dear Lady, it will put to good use, I assure you. Speaking of good use, I believe I will purchase a week's worth of rations, if you please. Just the regular rations, I find the iron rations a bit untasty. And another score arrows for my friend, the Bear Man, what's his name? Loomis? He's a Ranger, you know, and the best chance we have for bringing fresh vittles to the tables of Beachtown, which seem to be as needed as protection. He happily pays the steep price with only a slight grimace, then twirls a single coin of platinum under his index finger on the counter. Any other information that comes your way would be ever so appreciated! Smile. And if you see that old... If you see Harold, tell him the Hobbit would like a word with him, hm?
What's the price damage?

Return to “Completed Missions”