Hi-Lo (mercantile)

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Hi-Lo

#21 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen moves over to the others at the mention of his name. He listens intently at the mention of undead, and looks from the magic-user to the gnome. "I am willing to accompany you against the foul undead wandering the island. Clearly these are ancient and have been raised by some nefarious power for a while. Finding the centre of this infestation seems like it bodes well for both Beachtown and ourselves. How will we split the fee between us however, I would like to get that resolved before we set off."

He will ask Mr Nehru about food in town, where it's from, how it's stored, and the same with water.

Once this is resolved he will find the Druid and pay his share for the shack.
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#22 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Mr. Nehru replies to Saracen.

"I am afraid that food is also a big issue here lately. There is no current "stores" of food yet. Fruits and other foraged greens and nuts are prevalent enough, but the people want more. Fish is also easy enough to obtain, but man cannot live on fish and fruit alone. If any of you are out there in the bush and are able to kill something edible, please don't just leave it to rot. The townspeople could really use some fresh red meat in their diets. You may have already noticed the lack of livestock here. That is something that we just cant keep around for very long. Any help feeding the people will also be rewarded."

"As far as clean and potable water goes, it is usually fetched from the Dutty River, about three clicks east of town here, just down the beach a short walk. We still haven't located any springs or wells on the island, but the river water has worked well for us thus far."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Storm11 »

"Saracen nods at this. "Pholtus has given time the incantations to purify food and drink if that would be of help, and the conjuring of fresh water is another boon from the great lord of blinding light. Just to keep in mind. Would you be paying the same wages for the red meat for town sir?" he asks keenly.
Greys Campaign.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by ChubbyPixie »

OGRE MAGE wrote:
ChubbyPixie wrote:
OGRE MAGE wrote:"Thank you Mr. Chauncey. And, welcome to Big Shiny Island!

If it is work that you are seeking, I do have one issue that needs investigating if you feel up to it. Its these damn undead that keep coming into town. I have no idea where they are coming from and lack the time to investigate it properly myself. If you would like to look into that for me, I would offer a small reward for any information that you could obtain about it. The amount would depend on the detail of information, of course. Does that sound like something that might interest you, sir?"
"Hmmm." replies Chauncey. "Interesting proposition. I think this could be managed, yes - with the proper team assembled. Not to be crass, but what sort of monetary recompense are we talking about, sir, in totality, and for what exact result? Information only? Eradication?"
"Well, Eradication would certainly be worth more to me than a simple investigation. I will pay you 100 gold coins if you can find the source and put a stop to it. Does that sound fair to you sir?"
After conferring with Ferris, Chauncey looks thoughtful for a moment. A very shrewd gnome, this one. "Ahem, yes... " he replies to Nehru "100 is a fair price, of course - if all you want is information. Considering the risk of death to myself and my companions will be very real and ever present, we couldn't accept a gold piece less than... 150... and the lodgings for my team thrown in as well. And provisions. Just think, once the zombies are gone, you'll have many fewer deaths of potential renters. That must be worth something to you?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#25 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Storm11 wrote:"Saracen nods at this. "Pholtus has given time the incantations to purify food and drink if that would be of help, and the conjuring of fresh water is another boon from the great lord of blinding light. Just to keep in mind. Would you be paying the same wages for the red meat for town sir?" he asks keenly.
"Thank you for offering your priestly services, sir. I must admit that I wasn't sure of your intentions once I first saw you, but I am often reminded that you cant judge to rashly in this place. I will call on you if the need arises, good Saracen. As for your question, I will offer you monetary compensation on a case by case basis, depending what you bring to the table, if you will pardon the pun."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#26 Post by OGRE MAGE »

ChubbyPixie wrote:"100 is a fair price, of course - if all you want is information. Considering the risk of death to myself and my companions will be very real and ever present, we couldn't accept a gold piece less than... 150... and the lodgings for my team thrown in as well. And provisions. Just think, once the zombies are gone, you'll have many fewer deaths of potential renters. That must be worth something to you?"
Mr. Nehru thinks for a while, looking a bit disturbed at the counter offer.
"I will agree to the 150 gold for putting a stop to the monsters. However, I simply cannot offer any more than that. You will have to pay for room and board as well as any provisions you might require. Do we have a deal then?"

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by Nuke66 »

Raythan

As Luther stops, the half-elf says "I would like to extend an offer for you to room with me, rent is paid for a week, we can discuss additional options later."

As he over hears the conversation with Chauncey, Raythan adds. "Please keep us in mind as you plan to venture out." Gesturing to Luther. "And I'd like to talk later."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris

Spits on his palm and shakes the hand of Chauncey, "Well I think that is more than Adequate don't you, partner!"..

If Chauncey has paid 5gp for the shack, then Ferris will pay his quarter share back to Chauncey for a hammock in 'Team Deader than Dead Shiny Explorers', (1gp, 3 sp should cover it), "Say if this Orange priest Saracen and the fellow Wes come we have a full shack and a good team. When do we leave?" he asks Chauncey and digs out a fine quill from his pack, whispering, "Better get it all agreed and down on paper, written contracts better than verbal promises and all that,"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Urson »

Luther
I'd be glad to have a place to stash my extra gear- I'll take it and say-thankya.
I'll need a couple days- maybe more- before I can even safely think about this plan to map the island- I"ll get back to you on that, Mr. Nehru- but one of the jobs I anticipated when I shipped out for this place was hunting for the colony. I reckon that would be a good place for me to start.

what time of day is it?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Jack bursts in and announces, all in one breath, "A bunch of us at the treehouse are going to the logger camp! Zombies! Except for the sleepy druid! Anyone want to come?! ...oh... um... I need more arrows, mister! Please?!"
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#31 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bluetongue wrote:Ferris

Spits on his palm and shakes the hand of Chauncey, "Well I think that is more than Adequate don't you, partner!"..

If Chauncey has paid 5gp for the shack, then Ferris will pay his quarter share back to Chauncey for a hammock in 'Team Deader than Dead Shiny Explorers', (1gp, 3 sp should cover it), "Say if this Orange priest Saracen and the fellow Wes come we have a full shack and a good team. When do we leave?" he asks Chauncey and digs out a fine quill from his pack, whispering, "Better get it all agreed and down on paper, written contracts better than verbal promises and all that,"
I might have missed it, but I am not sure that there was ever an invitation to room together proposed by Chauncey. (Correct me if I'm wrong, please)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#32 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Urson wrote:Luther
I'd be glad to have a place to stash my extra gear- I'll take it and say-thankya.
I'll need a couple days- maybe more- before I can even safely think about this plan to map the island- I"ll get back to you on that, Mr. Nehru- but one of the jobs I anticipated when I shipped out for this place was hunting for the colony. I reckon that would be a good place for me to start.

what time of day is it?
Mr. Nehru

"Oh, that is great news Mr. Luther! Great news indeed! Anything that you could "bag" out there will surely be appreciated by all of us here. And do take your time on the mapping. It is a large island, after all." The midday sun continues to shine through the windows of Nehru's private back office.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#33 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Inferno wrote:Jack, lost boy:

Jack bursts in and announces, all in one breath, "A bunch of us at the treehouse are going to the logger camp! Zombies! Except for the sleepy druid! Anyone want to come?! ...oh... um... I need more arrows, mister! Please?!"
Mr Nehru seems a bit startled by the sudden intrusion into his office. "And what is your name little boy? Did you come here with your mum and da?" Oh, and the store is in the front of the building, not back here. They will be happy to help you if you just go around to the front door and ask about the arrows you seek. There's a good little boy"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:
"There's a good little boy."
"I'm older than you are!" Jack says as hurtfully as he can muster. He sulks around to the front of the building and says to the person behind the counter, "....Um... my... father... sent me to buy arrows for my, er, HIS quiver... How much?"
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#35 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The shelves in the front of the store seem a bit bare as the elf boy trots up to the counter. There is a large woman behind it that gives Jack a suspicious look as he asks for arrows.

"Arrows eh? Well that is something that we actually do have a lot of. They aint cheap though. Most of the things we have in here are very hard to get and cost a lot more than what you might be used to paying for them.

We sell them by the dozen for 10 gold. Or, ya can get 2 dozen that fit nicely in their own little quiver for 20 gold.

So, what will it be? And why doesn't your father just come in here and get his own arrows?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Inferno »

OGRE MAGE wrote:"And why doesn't your father just come in here and get his own arrows?"
"Because he says the prices here are criminal!"' Jack explains.

"One quiver full and another 7 to top off this quiver, please!" Jack says, producing five worn platinum coins minted by a forgotten empire when the world was young.

25 gp = 5pp, right? Will update sheet. Thanks.

After that, Jack races back to the treehouse... and adventure!
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#37 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The large woman looks at the coins for a long time, flipping them over in her fingers many times. She finally puts one into her mouth and bites down hard on it before finally seeming satisfied as to their worth.

"Oh, sure. I guess that does make sense. Thank you for your purchase and come see us again if you ever need any more of them."

Yes, 1pp = 5gp.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris

Will wait for Chauncey the Abundant to conclude the deal with Mr Nehru and then goes next door to see what supplies they might have. He starts looking for lanterns and flasks of oil, "Excuse me shopkeeper, do you have any tents or rather large water proof ponchos'?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#39 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa the Shopkeeper

Well hello there! And yes, we do have two tents for sale right over there on shelf 3. They aren't huge, but you should be able to get 4 or 5 people in them. Maybe more if they are all your size.

The tents are 20 gold pieces each. A real bargain way out here in the middle of the sea.

I'm afraid we don't have any ponchos though. Sorry.

You also see a shelf with a few oil flasks (10gp each) and one hooded lantern. (50gp)

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#40 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

After getting directions from little Sally, Brufrig wanders into the store at the front of the Hi-Lo. I was wondering if you could order some special items for me, assuming you don't have any for sale. I'm looking for some books, mostly things for kids to read, but some for adults would be nice as well. And candy. I would like to buy a bunch of candy, different types, whatever the kids like these days. If you could order some from the mainland that would be great.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Return to “Completed Missions”