Hi-Lo (mercantile)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Hi-Lo

#41 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Scott308 wrote:Brufrig Granitesunder

After getting directions from little Sally, Brufrig wanders into the store at the front of the Hi-Lo. I was wondering if you could order some special items for me, assuming you don't have any for sale. I'm looking for some books, mostly things for kids to read, but some for adults would be nice as well. And candy. I would like to buy a bunch of candy, different types, whatever the kids like these days. If you could order some from the mainland that would be great.
Nalissa gives Brufrig a strange look, wondering why a full grown dwarf would be asking about kids books and candy. She replies to him tentatively.

We don't have much in the way of books here, and none of them are kids books. Is there anything specific you are looking for?

The next ship should sail later today or tomorrow. If I put in an order, I can usually get stuff in about a week, depending on the weather. It isn't cheap to order specialty items delivered way out here though.

As far as candy goes, we don't normally have any of that either. Not much call for that around here. However, I just might have a private stash of saltwater taffy that came in on the ship two days ago. I might be willing to barter off one or two pieces of it if you really want some that badly. As long as you don't tell Mr. Nehru about it, that is. What have you got to trade?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#42 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

No, nothing in particular. I was talking to some people and books and candy were both mentioned as things that are hard to get, and I thought I'd buy some. Make the kids happy. Gotta be tough for them, living on an island like this. Thought if there were some books for older folks too, some of them might enjoy them in their free time. I don't have anything to trade, but I have coin. I assumed that was how things worked here, but if it's a barter system, I'm out. If you want to come up with a price, I'll be happy to pay now. If you want to sell a couple pieces of that taffy, I'd be willing to buy some of those, as well.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#43 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa laughs a little until she realizes that the dwarf is being serious.

Im sorry. Let me take a guess that one of the people you're talking about is little Sally, right? That little girl is a smart one, she is. Did you take a look around at the majority of the other settlers here in Beachtown, master dwarf? Sally is one of only a handful of folks in this town that actually can read.

I don't think many of the others here would give two thoughts about getting some books to read. If you want to help the people, you should use your fighting skills instead of your gold. What we all really need is something substantial to eat. You may have noticed that there is no livestock here. Cattle, hogs, and even chickens don't do well here in this tropical environment. We need a group of hunters to search the jungle for some wild boar or maybe even something bigger than that. Bring back some meat if you want to gain favor around here. For a nice shank of ham, I will give you a handful of candy for your young friend.

Scott308

#44 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

The dwarf chuckles. Yes, Sally is one of the people I have spoken to. In fact, both of those suggestions were hers. I'm still interested in ordering books and candy, even if she is the only one who ends up reading any of them. You never know, someone else may have an interest. She's no doubt much smarter than I am even at her young age, and I'd hate to see her lose that because she is here on the island. And I'm sure the candy will be a big hit with all of the children. As for helping people with my fighting skills- I am planning on doing that. I had spoken with a couple other adventurers on the ship and will be working with them. Livestock don't do well, here, but what about gardens? Clearly there is a lot of plant life in the jungle. Has anybody tried growing fruits or vegetables? I would think that those should be easy to get to grow here.

Hunting isn't exactly an occupation dwarves are very good at. It is hard to sneak up on animals as we go crashing through the forest, but I'll see what I can do to help out with food. For now, if you can give me a price on the candy and books, please?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#45 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa smiles at the kind gesture.

To tell the truth, I don't really know how much common reading books cost. Why don't you give me 15 gold down, and I will see what I can get for you. I will order both books and candy. You can pay me the balance once they arrive. Give it a good week though, our limited commerce is quite slow around here.

She smiles again and reaches into her side purse. She tosses you one piece of her taffy. normal dex check to catch it, please. :D

You can give this one to Sally for now if you'd like. She really is a good kid. DONT tell her you got it from me though, or our little deal is off! She says the last line with a wink.

Oh ya, plenty of folks got gardens going and other potted food plants started. There are a few gardens over by the community barracks, on the other side of the loggers trail. I don't think it's gonna be enough, though. We need the loggers to come back and clear more land, but they only seem to be interested in cutting down one particular kind of tree these days. You must be fresh off the boat huh? If so, Thanks for helping with those creatures. That was good timing if I've ever seen it.

Scott308

#46 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

The dwarf reaches into his coin purse, extracting the requested funds and slides them across the counter to Nalissa. Sounds good. I'm not in any hurry, I know it'll take a while to get things from the mainland. If for some reason I am not able to make it back, due to some unforeseen occurrence out in the jungle, please give whatever this down-payment will cover directly to Sally for me. That is the problem with this profession, you really can't make solid plans for the future because you don't know what tomorrow will bring.

The dwarf attempts to catch the proffered candy, but it ends up falling to the floor. Not the most graceful, even for a dwarf. Good thing I didn't try to make a career out of catching things. Brufrig smiles as he picks it up, putting it in a pocket for later. Thank you. I'll make sure to keep my source a secret.

One particular type of tree, huh? Must be something worth a pretty copper. I'd think making sure your people have food would be more important. Loggers can't cut trees if they starve. But, what do I know, I'm not the business type. Fresh off the boat, well, I fired my crossbow at one of the creatures before I stepped on land, so about as fresh as it gets. Do those creatures show up often around here? Ever have any other trouble with creatures or wildlife? For that matter, does anybody know anything about this island, other than it has some sort of tree that is worth the hassle of comin' out here to cut? The flyer I saw that brought me here didn't really have much info on it. Not sure what I'll be doing here yet, so I'm trying to figure out a plan still. Gotta meet up with the friends I made on the boat, see if they have some idea what we're gonna do.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris the gnome.

Ferris will take a good look around the stores of the shop. Poking into crates and clambering on his bucket to get a better view of what is on the higher shelves.

"Well Miss Nalissa, the tents seem fair and weather proof, I'll take the big one, stakes and guide ropes and all." He doesn't bother to haggle over the price but makes an offer on the other two,

"Perhaps as my venture grows I can have first dibs on the other two, I'll pay a extra gold and reserve them for a week if that is okay? Pardon me for saying but your stores are looking pretty thin on the ground? Oil is expensive, perhaps you know of some tar pits further inland where I can forage pitch for torches and camp lights. Even distilling the rubber sap from some of these trees can refine a source of cooking or lighting fuel. I supply Nalissa stores and you profit from your ever consuming customers?""

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by ChubbyPixie »

OGRE MAGE wrote:
ChubbyPixie wrote:"100 is a fair price, of course - if all you want is information. Considering the risk of death to myself and my companions will be very real and ever present, we couldn't accept a gold piece less than... 150... and the lodgings for my team thrown in as well. And provisions. Just think, once the zombies are gone, you'll have many fewer deaths of potential renters. That must be worth something to you?"
Mr. Nehru thinks for a while, looking a bit disturbed at the counter offer.
"I will agree to the 150 gold for putting a stop to the monsters. However, I simply cannot offer any more than that. You will have to pay for room and board as well as any provisions you might require. Do we have a deal then?"
Chauncey seems a bit shocked that the negotiation tactic worked at all - dickering over money not being "in his wheelhouse," per se, or indeed a thing he had ever even considered trying before. He tries to play off his astonishment. "Yes, yes, I see your position, Mr. Nehru. Consider it 'a deal,'" he says and shakes the proprietor's hand, while briefly and simultaneously turning and giving Ferris a look that communicates "who knew?"

"Yes, yes, Ferris, indeed," he says afterwards privately, "I've already secured a shack. You may store your belongings in there and consider us 'partnered up' if you wish." Turning to Luther and Raythan: "But of course you are welcome - I witnessed your fighting skills firsthand, indeed, I nearly punctured you with an errant dart, as I recall." To Saracen: "You, sir are the lynchpin to this entire operation - I am delighted you're on board. I feel without you we couldn't possibly succeed. The reward, of course, will be divided equally amongst all the participants. It's only fair and right."

When Brufrig is done picking himself up off the floor after the toffee incident, Chauncey approaches him. "Perhaps you overheard, sir. I've accepted a job to clear out the zombies and would appreciate having one of your skills along... unless your intention is to pursue more domestic humanitarian aid for the islanders? It is my belief that ridding the island of foul undead may be the best service we can provide. Also, if you haven't a place to stay as of yet, I've just rented a shack - a quiet one at the end. You're welcome there. As is our friend Wesley... Wesferen, is it? Yes. We'll be rooming with the Gnome. He seems a good sort. What do you say?"
Sorry for the delay! Trying to get everything out in one post. :)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#49 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bluetongue wrote:Ferris the gnome.

Ferris will take a good look around the stores of the shop. Poking into crates and clambering on his bucket to get a better view of what is on the higher shelves.

"Well Miss Nalissa, the tents seem fair and weather proof, I'll take the big one, stakes and guide ropes and all." He doesn't bother to haggle over the price but makes an offer on the other two,

"Perhaps as my venture grows I can have first dibs on the other two, I'll pay a extra gold and reserve them for a week if that is okay? Pardon me for saying but your stores are looking pretty thin on the ground? Oil is expensive, perhaps you know of some tar pits further inland where I can forage pitch for torches and camp lights. Even distilling the rubber sap from some of these trees can refine a source of cooking or lighting fuel. I supply Nalissa stores and you profit from your ever consuming customers?""
Nalissa smiles at the gnomes antics as she keeps a sharp eye on each person in the store.

"Yes, I realize that our selection isn't the best at the moment and that our prices might seem a bit ridicules to you. As Mr. Nehru likes to say a lot......you are more than welcome to take your business elsewhere." She says this last line with a slight disgust, as if she doesn't really agree with the sales tactic of "take it or leave it".

"I cant let you reserve the only other available tent for only one gold piece. I would loose lose my job over that. However, now that you've bought one, I can put in an order to get some more here. We should have more of them in another week or so. That's the best I can do, I'm afraid."

"Now, as far as finding similar stuff out there in the wild that will replace things like oil and torches, that is entirely up to you. I don't know of any tar pits out there, but I have heard that there are some huge rocky pools of some strange grey substance. Nobody has brought any of it back yet though. I wonder what it is?"

Scott308

#50 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

I do not have a place to stay, yet, so I would be happy to share your shack. As for hunting zombies, I think I may pass. It seems you have a large group already, so I think I'll do some exploring closer to the village.

Turning to Nalissa, he asks, Can you tell me more about this grey substance? Is it a liquid of some sort? Maybe I can buy some sort of container to store some in. Any idea where it was spotted?

I was planning on heading out with Chauncey as discussed on the boat, but if he has gathered up everyone else in town in the mean time, I guess Brufrig will go it alone.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#51 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa smiles at the dwarf and whispers. "Next time I will just hand it to you."

"My favorite time of the day here is very early in the morning, when there is hardly a soul in town stirring. I like to walk down to the water and watch the sun rise over the jungle. It's beautiful really, if you can stand the swarming flies and mosquitoes that are trying to eat you.

I was down there one morning when I saw a small party of adventurers walking down the beach, headed back to town. They told me about the pits of grey stuff, said they saw them past where the sand ends and the jungle begins. They didn't say how far though. I don't think anyone from that party is still around here either. That happens a lot, actually. But hey, if you don't want to go out looking for them alone, I'm sure you could find someone around town here to go with you. Not many of the adventuring types in Beachtown are real sharp, but most of them are usually looking for good, strong people to join up with."

Scott308

#52 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

Hmm. I think I'll head out that way. Do you have any glass jars with lids that seal? I could use some of those to collect some of the grey ooze.

Turning to Chauncey, he hands him the taffy. Hey, Chauncey, do you by any chance have any candy? If so, could I have a piece? What's that you say? That is your last piece but you'll let me have it? Thank you, sir. You are very kind to part with this. After he gets the candy back from Chauncey, he explains, Now I can tell Sally that I got this from a friend I met on the boat, and he doesn't have any more, keeping your involvement a secret, Nalissa.

I'm assuming Chauncey gives him back the taffy. If not, we can roll for initiative. :lol:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#53 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa smiles again at the kind, if slightly confusing gesture.

"I've got a tin bucket, a few empty glass flasks, two canteens, an iron skillet, and a few wine skins, but I'm afraid I don't have any glass jars for sale."

Scott308

#54 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

Do the stoppers have flasks? If so, I'll take those, the canteens, and the bucket, please.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey the Adequate
I had written down that those coming with Chauncey were
Ferris
Raythan
Luther
Saracen (responding to a post he made in the Hi-Lo - so I thought he was in there)
Brufrig (if he accepted)
Was going to seek out Wesferen... aaaaand including Chauncey that's too many, I see just now... whoopsies. Hmmmm...
Chauncey is confused by the toffee exchange. Then, sees clearly that it must be a Dwarven custom with which he is unfamiliar. "Aha... yes, Brufrig. Please, I give you my toffee freely," he says, handing it over with a small flourish. "Now, as things are settled here with the room, I will hence to the Treehouse-structure. Anyone care to join me?" With that, he rather abruptly exits the Hi-Lo, seeming suddenly preoccupied.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#56 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The dwarf reaches into his coin purse, extracting the requested funds and slides them across the counter to Nalissa. Sounds good. I'm not in any hurry, I know it'll take a while to get things from the mainland. If for some reason I am not able to make it back, due to some unforeseen occurrence out in the jungle, please give whatever this down-payment will cover directly to Sally for me. That is the problem with this profession, you really can't make solid plans for the future because you don't know what tomorrow will bring.

The dwarf attempts to catch the proffered candy, but it ends up falling to the floor. Not the most graceful, even for a dwarf. Good thing I didn't try to make a career out of catching things. Brufrig smiles as he picks it up, putting it in a pocket for later. Thank you. I'll make sure to keep my source a secret.

One particular type of tree, huh? Must be something worth a pretty copper. I'd think making sure your people have food would be more important. Loggers can't cut trees if they starve. But, what do I know, I'm not the business type. Fresh off the boat, well, I fired my crossbow at one of the creatures before I stepped on land, so about as fresh as it gets. Do those creatures show up often around here? Ever have any other trouble with creatures or wildlife? For that matter, does anybody know anything about this island, other than it has some sort of tree that is worth the hassle of comin' out here to cut? The flyer I saw that brought me here didn't really have much info on it. Not sure what I'll be doing here yet, so I'm trying to figure out a plan still. Gotta meet up with the friends I made on the boat, see if they have some idea what we're gonna do.

Sorry! I think that I missed this post.
Nalissa nods somberly as the dwarf speaks of the troubles of the adventuring lifestyle. I know what you mean. It happens a lot here, actually.

I don't know much about the trees here really, just that they can get pretty huge out there I guess. Mr. Nehru handles all the business with the loggers, which is fine by me. Those guys give me the creeps. They aren't really part of our settlement. They looked more like plain ol' sailors to me at first. Ugly ones! I like em a lot better when they're all out in the bush.

We do get an occasional visit from........undesirables now and again. The logging trail gives anything wandering around out there a pretty easy path directly to us here. That's why you burly fighters and holy crusaders are given free passage to get here, in case you haven't figured it out yet. You're supposed to keep us all safe from the jungle monsters!

We really don't know much about the island yet. Randall would probably be best to get the latest gossip and rumor from, not me.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#57 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Do the stoppers have flasks? If so, I'll take those, the canteens, and the bucket, please.
Nalissa

They sure do. Lets see then......for the bucket, 2 flasks, and two canteens.....your total will be 25 gold pieces. Do you still want them?

Scott308

#58 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

On second thought, how about one canteen and the flasks? I don't want to spend everything I have right now.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#59 Post by OGRE MAGE »

"That's probably good thinking. That will be 8 gold then, please."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#60 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris

"I have a bucket, taken from the boat I cooked on. No holes and makes a good step up for short legs like us." Ferris says to Brufrig.

"If this Chauncey fellow and the rest of us 'undead exterminators' aren't leaving until the morning, we could walk up the beach to explore the rocks, maybe get a bucket full of fresh crabs, mussels and cockles. What do you think?" the gnome asks the dwarf, eager to stretch his legs, figuratively of course, happy to be gnome size.

Return to “Completed Missions”