Everyday Life in Beachtown

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Everyday Life in Beachtown

#341 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Marge hangs on the monks every word, all the while doing exactly as he says. She tries to imagine the island as it may someday be, but she lacks the mental fortitude to put her mind in another place here.

After trying a few times, she closes her eyes and walks blindly, hoping that will help. When she opens them again, there is a fat black fly sitting on her forehead. The fly stings her, causing her to shout out and slap the thing hard against her head. She looks back at Jaxsen with a dejected look on her chubby face as she wipes off her hand on her pants.

"I never was much at intense concentration. I think it comes from having to do too many things at once every waking minute of my day."

"I will try it again back at camp when I don't have so much to do. We need to stay on our guard out here."

The group is now about a mile from the river and will be there before too much longer. The water gatherers look nervous and continue to stare out at the calm blue sea as they move along.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#342 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

"All is well, Marge," says Jax. "As I said, this is something that takes a lot of practice. And you have gotten along without it all this long while. When we have more time, I will be happy to work with you on this, if you like."

As Marge comments about being on guard, and the other women closely watch the beach, Jax slowly moves over to the seaward side of the group, putting himself between them and the water. He doesn't comment on it and he doesn't let the others see any sign of apprehension.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#343 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Marge tries a few more times on the final leg of the journey with little success before eventually stopping all together. Several of the women smile at Jaxsens gesture, glad to have an armed helper along for a change.

When the group gets a few hundred yards from reaching the river, they spot a few animals around, drinking and bathing at the sandy shore wher the river feeds into the sea. They look like huge, buck toothed rats from this distance, possibly around three or so feet long. There appears to be around 5 of them in all.

Marge stops the train and squats low, looking at Jaxsen and then back to the creatures at the shore. She points to one more slightly larger animal that she spots up at the edge of the jungle, watching over the others.
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG (96.48 KiB) Viewed 275 times

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#344 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

"Normally," says Jaxsen, very quietly. "I would suggest we just wait for them to finish and then take our turn. Or maybe just move up, passively, and share the water."

He hesitates a moment and then goes on, "But I noticed that there is not a lot of food in town. Do you think the people would eat such creatures? I could try to bring down one or two of them." He looks directly at Marge. "It is not my decision to make. It will be as you say."
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#345 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Let's pick this action up over here.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#346 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen, once he helps drop off the acid filled beetle bums, heads back to the beach in town, and confines his experiments with the glass. He also retrieves other glass shards, and looks through them out out to see and back into town at the local’s there, focussing on one in particular to see if he notes any differences or changes.

Once that is done he will continue to experiment with the suns rays until it’s fiery orb dips below the horizon.

He will then seek out Chaucey to see if he is alone.
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#347 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Chauncey has the 3 beetle carcasses dragged over to a flat spot in the clearing near to the house that Raythan is having built. He wants to stay out of the heat of the sun but still be far enough away so nobody is harmed in case things go terribly wrong with his experiments.

Luther joins up with the adequate wizard, telling him what he has already learned about the bugs strange anatomy.

With an extremely sharp blade, the steady handed wizard begins his first incision.......

*the sound of dice clattering on the table*

After some sweating and guessing, the mage makes a few more cuts. He thinks back to all of the nasty things his parents made him do when he was younger, never realizing that his childhood experiments of cutting up frogs, mice, and cats would have ever aided him in real life. He eventually gets a large piece of the bugs thick carapace removed and is now able to accesses the things guts a little better.

He gives Luther a play by play in his usual cheery tone as he cuts and scrapes. The ranger just nods his head and holds his breath, trying to stand on the opposite side of the disgusting acid delivery tube.

Eventually, Chauncey cuts back enough of the guts to find something interesting. Well, to him anyway.

It seems that the dangerous bugs have an intricate mixing and delivery system for dispersing their toxic weapon. The gore covered wizard finds that there are actually 3 separate chambers inside the bug that are tied to the acid shooting system. By the way these chambers are set up, it would appear that there are 2 natural chemicals that the bugs produce, each in their own separate stomach-like organs. The mage deduces that once the juices are mixed together in the third chamber, they are pushed through into the long, thick, leathery propulsion tube that Luther discovered earlier. Once the acid has been mixed and delivered into the firing tube, it clenches up its internal muscles and the caustic juice shoots out in a deafening explosion.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#348 Post by Urson »

Luther

The ranger, who was certain he'd have to do this himself, watches closely, trying to learn whatever he can.

I wonder how long the stuff is potent after it gets mixed? I mean, if it goes flat quickly, we might hafta figure a way to deliver both parts to the troll and let 'em mix on his rotten hide.

Despite the gory work being done, Luther soon finds his stomach rumbling and growling like a late-summer storm.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Hmmm... interesting! Yes, quite. This actually makes our job a bit more manageable, And quite a bit safer,” replies Chauncey. ”Two thin, clay half-pots or two glass vials bound together with a bit of rattan should hold each individually harmless substance in it’s own compartment - when thrown at the creature, they should break and mix, with some volatility, on impact, I would imagine. I will run to the Hi-Lo now to see what stock they have. Would you, perhaps, suss out whether there is an accomplished potter on the island? Or even a mediocre one would do, I suspect.”

With that, Chauncey will scamper off to the Hi-Lo to see what can be found...
Sorry for the redundant posts. Trying to get caught up.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by Urson »

Luther

That sounds like it will work. I don't know if there's a potter around- I think we'd have seen his work by now, but I don't know.

When Chauncey heads for the Hi/Lo, Luther goes to the Treehouse.

Randall- I know I owe you for stew and drinks, and I'm sorry I can't pay you yet. Can I get you to extend me a little more credit for another bowl of stew?

"I will gladly pay you Monday for a hamburger today."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#351 Post by SirOwen »

OOC: Do Avaala or Monocar, under the Treehouse, see Chauncey running around?
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#352 Post by OGRE MAGE »

SirOwen wrote:OOC: Do Avaala or Monocar, under the Treehouse, see Chauncey running around?
Sure!

As you can see, the town is not that large.
:D

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#353 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Urson wrote:Luther Randall- I know I owe you for stew and drinks, and I'm sorry I can't pay you yet. Can I get you to extend me a little more credit for another bowl of stew?

"I will gladly pay you Monday for a hamburger today."
I answered this Treehouse question in the Treehouse thread.

viewtopic.php?f=446&t=6325&p=330433#p330433

Don't make me start docking xp. :lol:

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#354 Post by SirOwen »

OOC: Avaala and Monocar are under the Treehouse, but Chauncey is running around town, so I'm going to put this HERE.

Avaala

Seeing Chauncey running towards the Hi-Lo, Avaala calls out, "Chauncey!! Hey, come over here for just a moment. I've got something I think you'll appreciate!"

When Chauncey approaches, Avaala says, "I was a bit beat up, but I remember you talking about how to store the acid from the beetles. When we got back, it occurred to me that the bar must have empties. And sure enough, Randall was willing to sell me a dozen fragile glass bottles, as well as a dozen sturdier glazed clay jugs. I think these will hold the acid quite admirably. We just have to get them back to wherever you are conducting your work on the bodies."
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#355 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen awakes refreshed and revitalised. He takes a swig of water and then settles in to commune with his spiritual nexus to replenish his magic.

In 45 minutes he is brimming with light magic, and dresses in his armour and orange robes and heads off to find the injured.

He will search out Jack first and then Monocar. He will offer his first curing spell to the elf boy.

[1d8] = 4

Then he finds the mountain and bestows the Healing light of Pholtus upon him also.

[1d8] = 7

After refilling his waterskin the holy champion will wash his robes small clothes and hang them in the light of the sun to dry. Whilst waiting for these items to be ready he will cover himself in some shade and work on his crystal upon the Beach. Laying out his religious paraphernalia the half-orc begins to bless the crystal lens and sanctify it to Pholtus, bathing it in the suns rays whilst he does so.
Greys Campaign.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by ChubbyPixie »

SirOwen wrote:OOC: Avaala and Monocar are under the Treehouse, but Chauncey is running around town, so I'm going to put this HERE.

Avaala

Seeing Chauncey running towards the Hi-Lo, Avaala calls out, "Chauncey!! Hey, come over here for just a moment. I've got something I think you'll appreciate!"

When Chauncey approaches, Avaala says, "I was a bit beat up, but I remember you talking about how to store the acid from the beetles. When we got back, it occurred to me that the bar must have empties. And sure enough, Randall was willing to sell me a dozen fragile glass bottles, as well as a dozen sturdier glazed clay jugs. I think these will hold the acid quite admirably. We just have to get them back to wherever you are conducting your work on the bodies."
"Ah Haaaaa!" exclaims Chauncey. "Avalaa, you've surprised me with a solution to the bug juice puzzle! You've actually just caught me coming from the Hi-Lo, where, unsurprisingly, they were unable to help me. Let us make our way to the dissection area and get the acid bottled up."
Chauncey heads off to the Beetle Juice Thread... :)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#357 Post by OGRE MAGE »

It seems like everyone is getting the hang of the off timing and posting in multiple time frames thing fairly well so, I will advance this to the morning for the players who have already retired for the night. If you are still in the middle of something or want to do something else before going to bed, go for it. I won't start the next mission until everyone is done and ready to go.

Post Juice
Freeday, The 26th of Reaping
Early Morning, Hot, Muggy, Buggy

This new day begins much like the last, hot, with lots of bugs. As the adventurers awaken to start their day, a few of them come to the realization that, if they survive this place for one more day, they will have spent an entire week here on this island so far. There are stories abound of folks who were far less lucky.

Raythan continues the work on his "off the beaten path" jungle house, still climbing up into the tall trees from time to time to check on his captive carpenter. He has abandoned the idea of adventuring for the time being, at least until his roof is erected. He has all four walls up now and is starting to work on laying the rafters across the tops of the walls. Not surprisingly, Nuke has informed me that he will be backing out of this game due to its rapid pace. I will still keep Raythan around for the time being as an NPC in case anyone would like to have a word with the reclusive half-elf cleric/wizard sometime.

As the townies begin their daily routine, members of the hunting group begin to rise to meet the day. Saracen is first one up, gathering water to drink and wash with. He seeks out his most injured friends and heals them using the power he has regained overnight. Jack and Monocar are both aided by the priests efforts. Ever the mysterious half-orc, Saracen then gets to work on his own affairs. The orange priest goes down to the beach so he can be the first one to greet the powerful rays of the sun as it rises over the trees. He sets out an array of religious tokens and holy water, blessing and saying a short prayer over each item. The priest seems almost obsessed over the circular palm sized piece of glass that he has been working on for days. It becomes pretty obvious that he has something special in store after spending this much time and effort over such a simple thing as a hunk of magnified glass. He remains secretive and tight lipped about the whole affair, shedding even more mystery on the odd item.

Alordan rises feeling slightly better than he did, despite the way he still looks. The ranger spends his morning in deep thought mixed with intense training, boosting the mans confidence and energizing him to want to do even more now. After some intense concentration, he gathers his hooks and rope, hoping to find the crew that is going after the sea troll. He remembers Saracen saying that he wouldn't be going after the troll today, but he still wants to see if there is any interest in scouting the beast out for a while at least.

Everyone has gained 2 hit points back for sleeping in the comfort of their own shacks. Some of you have even leveled up overnight. :D

Luther R2 20/20
Jack 7/10 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Lightfinger T2 10/10
Chauncey MU2 10/10 CL, DM, RM, 2/2 first
Saracen 12/12 1/3 first
Avaala 5/5 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Monocar F2 14/21
Alordan R2 8/13

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by Urson »

Luther

The big ranger wakes up feeling refreshed and ambitious. He walks past the group working on the acid bombs, and asks a few questions, looking slightly baffled by the answers.
He speaks briefly to Alordan, getting information on finding the local who made his hooks, and then goes to find this blacksmith.

Friend, this was once my grandfather's broadsword. You can see it's junk now. I need a couple of things, if you can manage them: I want the metal turned into a harpoon point that I can use- with strong hooked barbs to keep it from pulling back out. And, if possible, I'd like the hilt separated, so that I can keep it as a memento.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#359 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Looks up from his work and looks from the sword to the ranger with sympathy. "Wow, sorry Luthar. I'll do whatever I can to help."

OM, what are the chances of Monocar at least knowing how to fashion a shaft for the harpoon?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#360 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bluehorse wrote:OM, what are the chances of Monocar at least knowing how to fashion a shaft for the harpoon?
As a logger, he would have a good understanding of using jake poles and similar items as levers. I think he would be able to whittle together a simple shaft fairly easily.

Return to “Completed Missions”