Everyday Life in Beachtown

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Everyday Life in Beachtown

#301 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Inferno wrote:Jack, lost boy:

At the sight of the approaching ship, Jack loses interest in searching the beach. He scampers to the town pier to watch the big boat dock and its passengers disembark, especially the funny dwarves.

Then he quietly sneaks after that mean jerk, Captain Quark, to secretly eavesdrop on what he has to say to Mr. Nehru.
Huffing and puffing from his long jog back to town, Jack sneaks around and in between the buildings on shore, trying to prevent the mean grown-ups from seeing that he is following them. He sees the two men enter the captains stone building, so he gets up close to the squat tower to see if he can hear what they are talking about. With no windows to be seen, the lost boy presses his ear up to the thick wooden door.
Give me a d20 roll, please.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#302 Post by OGRE MAGE »

SirOwen wrote:Jaxsen

The blond man with the apparent poverty issues walks down the ship's plank. He smiles as he sees all the people moving around, performing their functions. 'I need to find my place here,' he thinks. 'I know I have something to contribute. I may only be a grub, but even the grub has its place.'

He stops the first person who gets close to him. "Excuse me, but who is the master of this great hive?"
A random dirty middle aged woman from town looks a little confused at the mans odd question, but is nice enough to respond all the same.

"I think you are looking for Mr. Nehru. He lives over there, in that nice wooden building with the Hi-Lo sign out front. It is the makeshift general store around here, though the prices are far from general. Unfortunately, its the only store, really. I am not sure what you mean by hive, though. There are no bee keepers here yet. None that I know of, anyway. Are you one? A bee keeper, I mean. We sure could use some fresh honey around these parts! Welcome to Beachtown stranger. What are you called?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#303 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen

"My name is Jaxsen Reiter, thank you.
Perhaps you have saved me a trip to see Master Nehru. You say this town needs honey? Perhaps this lowly grub has found his place in this hive already! So many thanks!"
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#304 Post by OGRE MAGE »

"No problem, mister. I mean Jaxsen. If you are fond of flying insects, you have definitely come to the right place. This damn island is so full of bugs that they are almost thick enough to carry a man away. If you know how to keep bees, you will make a great addition to our weird little community here. Let me know when the first batch is ready. I could use something sweet to eat out here."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#305 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Jack runs past, giggling mischievously, up to no good, looking for something or someone.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#306 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen

Jaxsen wanders the town, getting a feel for the rhythms of the place. He finds the watering hole (up in a tree!) and the stores for the hive. He isn't hungry and needs no more than he has, so he stops at neither of these places. He finds the long rows of shacks and admires the simple, perfunctory manner of all of it.

'And all the children of The Queen seem to rule this place!' he thinks as he notices the flies, fleas, mosquitos and insects of all kinds. 'Bralm has truly blessed this island!' He offers up a quick prayer to The Hive Queen for bringing him to this paradise.

He does notice that many of the humans seem to be a bit.... thin. 'Two jobs, then. A hunter for the hive, and a keeper for my brethren, the honeybee.' Deciding that the watering hole must get its food from somewhere, he turns around and goes back to the Treehouse. He climbs up and looks around. "I will work as a hunter for this hive!" he says to everyone present. "Who are the other hunters and where do they dwell?"
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#307 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As the excitement from the new arrivals and the community crab boil breakfast starts to die down, life around Beachtown begins to convert back to normality. The townsfolk go about their usual every day business again as the day grows hotter.

After what must have been a long discussion, Mr. Nehru and Captain Quark exit the stone building, both looking rather upset about something. Nehru heads back to the Hi-lo while the captain begins heading towards the long dock. Anyone down in that area spots something a little odd as they suddenly see an orange and black striped Maine Coon cat leap from the deck of the docked ship and sprint up the long floating pier as fast as it can run. Once the fat house cat hits the sand, it begins to sprint up the sandy beach in the direction of the river.

The Captain just shakes his head, still seemingly very annoyed. He mumbles something to himself as he heads back to his ship. "At least it wasn't all black. As if my luck isn't running bad enough right now!"

The strange cat sprints up the beach as if he is being chased by a hungry dog and is quickly out of sight.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#308 Post by OGRE MAGE »

SirOwen wrote:Jaxsen Reiter

Jax climbs down from the Treehouse and approaches the jungle tree line. He stops just short of it, and stands stock still, staring into it and listening intently. If he hears nothing more menacing than the insects, and sees nothing within his immediate area, he slowly enters the trees, halberd at the ready. He only goes in about 20 feet, and then turns to his left and parallels the tree line. He keeps his senses sharp, looking, listening and smelling. This place is new to him, and he knows it is the threat you don't see coming that eats you.

His primary intent is to not get eaten.
His secondary intent is to learn about the Monkoons.
His tertiary intent is to acclimate himself and learn the nature of the area around the town. (His new hive.)

He will follow the tree line, stay within 20 feet of it, and move perhaps a mile, all the while looking, listening, smelling and committing to memory.
Jaxsen enjoys a little solo recon mission amongst all of his tiny insect friends. He finds this jungle to be full of the tiny pests that annoy most folks, and that they come in every size and shape out here. As he revels in the cacophony of their beautiful music, he begins searching this thick bush for any signs of the thieving animals Randall wants eliminated.

Keeping close to the settlement, he starts combing through the nearby jungle to see what he can learn. He finds plenty of evidence that people have been in here before, (footprints, broken branches, etc.) but none of the furry creatures show themselves to him as he searches. A few things become evident to the lawful human almost instantly and he keeps track of them as he searches.

1) This entire area is void of any low hanging fruit or any other edible vegetation.
2) There is no normal signs of usual wildlife here or anywhere else nearby. The place looks completely hunted out.
3) The bugs around here are plentiful, the most the monk has ever seen in one place before. They seem like normal insects to his trained eye, but their sheer numbers are like nothing he has seen before.

After a few hours of searching, he finds that he has gotten himself a short way away from the town. (about a mile) Just as he is about to give up on his search to learn more about the strange tree critters, he spots one all alone in the distance. It is sitting alone on a tree branch watching him from about 15 feet in the air.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#309 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen

'Locusts,' Jaxsen thinks. 'They have stripped everything they could reach, just like locusts.'

He considers the size and density of the insect population. Could it be that the Hive Queen has reserved this place for her own children? Jax dismisses the idea quickly. "One hive cannot survive alone. All things feed on each other," he mutters to himself.

When he sees the Monkoon sitting and staring at him, Jax freezes. The smartest predators look like the easiest prey. Jax stares back at the Monkoon intently, trying to elicit a reaction.

If that fails after a couple minutes,
Jax looks around for signs of a trap or ambush.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#310 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The single monkoon stares back for a long time. Then he picks something out of his armpit with his long fingers. He looks at it for a second before popping it in his mouth and eating it. He seems to be enjoying the long distance stare down with this new stranger.

Jaxsen sees no indications that this might be a set up or some type of ambush.

Another buzzing mosquito lands on the monks nose.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#311 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen watches the Monkoon with growing concern.
'So the little runt thinks he can sit there and tease me? We'll see about that!' OK...
15 feet up, how far laterally?
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#312 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The monkoon just stands there on his tree branch staring back at you from about 30 feet away. The jungle is still quite thick here, but you can watch him through a small open patch in between the branches and some huge ferns.

He begins jumping up and down on his branch in a non aggressive manner.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#313 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen

Jaxsen lays his halberd against a tree, and slowly slides a javelin out of the quiver on his back. He judges the line of sight he has on the Monkoon and tries to decide whether he has enough view between the branches and leaves for a practical shot, or if the combination of a medium range shot, and the cover afforded to the Monkoon makes it more of an effort in futility.

OOC: If the odds are seriously against the throw, Jaxsen will pick his halberd up, and try to move to a better spot, continuing to stare down the Monkoon to distract it.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#314 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The monkoon stares back with a rather blank expression, not sure what to think of this blonde haired intruder.
IMG_1141.JPG
IMG_1141.JPG (41.62 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Jaxsen evaluates his current position, wondering if he could make an accurate shot on the thing with his javelin. The overgrowth is so thick here that he might not hit it with a crossbow. He knows he would need to get much closer to make a valid attack due to all the hanging leaves and branches.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#315 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen decides to move in for a better throw. He continues to look for traps or an ambush by others like the one showing itself. He keeps the head of the halberd down, in his left hand, to prevent snagging on the foliage. He keeps the javelin in his dominant hand.

OOC: If a decent throw at no more than medium range makes an appearance, Jax will take the shot.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#316 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jaxsen moves in closer to see if he can find a spot where there might be less branches in the way of his throw.

He has to circle around the dead head of one massive fallen cotton tree with huge fan shaped roots that blocks his way. The foliage in this undisturbed portion of the jungle is rather thick and almost impossible to move through freely. He leaps over a large flat topped rock and finds himself almost directly under the branch with the monkoon standing on it.

With any luck, a good throw from this vantage point would likely hit the little furry monster. The creature continues to watch the monks fluent movements through the rough jungle, now looking almost straight down to spot his current position. The monkoon makes no threatening movements, seeming more curious than aggressive.

If you would like to attack, please provide a roll. Thanks!

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#317 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen is beginning to have doubts about this endeavor. He looks at the Monkoon staring at him harmlessly. 'THAT is a vicious marauder and thief of children?' he thinks. 'I do not believe I have been told the whole story.'

Jaxsen puts the javelin back into his quiver and looks for an adjacent tree. He will not climb into the same tree with the Monkoon, but will climb up to the same level. (15 feet, yes?) Once he is perched near the Monkoon, he will attempt to speak to it. Once he figures out that they do not share a language, Jax starts to play. He makes faces at it. Sticks his tongue out at it. Throws handfuls of leaves at it. He tries to figure out how smart this creature is, and he believes that if it is willing to play, there is likely very little malice in it.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#318 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The lone monkoon watches Jaxsen's actions closely and with obvious curiosity. The furry creature follows his movements with his knowing eyes as Jaxsen finds a nearby tree and grabs on. Once the monk begins climbing, the monkoon begins jumping up and down on his branch again. He settles down a bit once conversation is attempted, but gets excited after verbal communication fails.

The monkoon seems more confused than curious once Jaxsen sticks out his tongue and throws leaves, but he doesn't seem terribly offended by the actions. After a short while, the monkoon seems to tire of the shenanigans. He looks Jaxsen right in the eyes and points straight up the trunk of his tree. He then begins waving his spindly arm as if to say, follow me, if you can.

The nimble tree dweller leaps from his branch and grabs ahold of a higher branch about 10 feet above his as if it were simply a game. In seconds, the monkoon is up the tree and out of sight.

Action?

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#319 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen finds himself in the unusual position of doubting his objective. He came out to hunt these things, and now doesn't know if he should. But he doesn't doubt his climbing skills, and pauses only long enough to plan the first thirty or forty feet of the climb.

He doesn't think he can take the halberd any higher, so he lodges it here, doubting anything will see it 15 feet up. Then he starts climbing, trying to catch the Monkoon.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#320 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jaxsen begins climbing even higher up the tree, starting to doubt his original main objective. He leaves his halberd hang and gets moving.

Once up in the thick leaves, he cant see much of anything other than the next few branches above him. He stays focused as he climbs higher and higher, trying to catch up to the much faster monkoon.

Can I get 2 separate normal Dex checks from you, please? [3d6]

Return to “Completed Missions”