Everyday Life in Beachtown

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Everyday Life in Beachtown

#461 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I will address Monocars actions and any other new happenings in town in my next post. (soon come)

Again, thanks for your patience. :mrgreen:

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#462 Post by Bluehorse »

OGRE MAGE wrote:I will address Monocars actions and any other new happenings in town in my next post. (soon come)

Again, thanks for your patience. :mrgreen:
;) seriously, no rush! Happy you are getting a much needed recharge.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#463 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger prowls the town a bit, politely greeting any he meets with a smile. He seems to be on lookout... And then winds his way to the Hi-Lo.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#464 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Monocar, Brother Gilbert, and Lightfinger take some time to check through the town proper again. They notice that, for the most part, it remains much the same. But a few subtle changes are easy to spot once you poke around a bit.

The general living conditions are still quite deplorable. The townsfolk are dirty and hungry, with some of them already showing obvious signs of malnutrition. Other than the Hi-Lo, the buildings are ramshackle at best, and there doesn't seem to be much improvement at all on that end. The buildings closest to the water are starting to get a little too close to the splashing surf. In fact, the squat stone tower made from bilge stones is starting to lean slightly towards the sea from the constant swirling patterns of the ever changing surf that constantly laps up at the sandy shoreline.

The mountain of a man absentmindedly searches the tree line for good lumber, but once again finds nothing of the sort. Every stitch of deadfall or fallen branches has already been used for firewood. Any handles he makes will have to be from green wood.

It is also easy to spot that there is still no fruit, nuts, or other edibles hanging from any of the nearby trees. The entire area around the town for miles has been nearly denuded of anything edible.

Looking for an easy way to make a sanding device, the huge fighter gets creative. Though he finds plenty of sticky substances in Randall's garbage, none of it works to his liking. He is about to give up when he walks past the large pile of cut black trees that are still haphazardly piled near the shore. The gooey sap that leaked from those trees might be just what he needs to create his sand leaf.

He notices that most of the discarded logs are still there from when they first arrived. In fact, it looks like the townspeople have gotten brave enough to use them now, as they have begun to individually drag them over to the fire pit to be burned.

Lightfinger keeps up with his positive demeanor, greeting those he meets in town whenever he can. Along his way to see Nalissa, he notices that the dwarves who were starting to heavily populate the place are no longer anywhere to be seen around town. He does not spot the old wizard known to him only as Harold, but still sees many hopeful, novice adventurers fresh off the ship, ready to cut their fortunes out in the harsh jungle and beyond.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#465 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Brother Gilbert

Tell me, Monocar, why the village is so forlorn, and its people so poorly fed? I do not know of the history of this island or its inhabitants. Given the heat and moisture, there could be food in abundance.

FYI: Br.G. comes from a farming family.

I didn't read back on the posts, so I could play Br. G. as the newcomer.
SpinwardMarch

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#466 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar makes a mental note that he might have to score the treelines for serviceable wood while he is out adventuring and likely gather it up on his way back. He does notice the logs though and immediately uses some of the black sap to try his experiment in making sandpaper leaves. Successful or not, he will then move on to inspecting the logs with a closer eye, taking his time and taking advantage of not being under the suspicious eye of Bert and Ernie, making notes on how they were harvested, moved, stacked, and whatever he can draw on from his background in such things to try to determine why these trees were being so exclusively harvested. Monocar will also look for smaller branches of the wood nearby that he might be able to use. He will still take a sample of the wood, bark, and even the sap to take to Avaala and Chauncy for them to examine and share whatever he observes as well to see if they can unlock some clues about it.

He then turns to Brotha-G. (wiki wiki waah!) and then turns to look out over the people of the town as he tried to answer the question. "It has been this way since we got here some time back. We've done what we could. Luthar sets up fish traps. We took down a crab the size of a horse the other day. Then there was some bit bugs, and even the fruit from the other day, but none of it seems to be really helping. These people are like too little butter spread out over too much break if you know what I mean. I['m afraid that if we don't find them some real stable food supplies, they might really start to starve.

"And then there is our missing friends. I don't know if you heard or not, but we have some friends that went looking up the river some days back, and they haven't returned. I'm worried about them. I am going to see if anyone will join me to go looking for them.
A rescue mission maybe... either way, I will go alone if I have to. The phanatons asked us to go talk to a village that is apparently out that way, so I figure that is as good a place to look for them as any just for starters. Get stoned with two birds, as my dad used to always say... or something like that. He used to say a lot of stuff, but I didn't always understand it..."

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#467 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Brother Gilbert

(to Monocar)
These poor people, is there something amiss with them that they are unable to find food?

He gazes at the village and looks puzzled.

Are they unable to go fishing or grow some food plants?

At any rate, I cannot help all of them. Perhaps looking for your friends would be a good idea. I am willing to go along and offer what assistance I can.
SpinwardMarch

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#468 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The massive fighter reminds the good brother of the plights of Beachtown.

Any nearby food sources have already been gathered and eaten. Any new edible food sources are consumed as soon as they are discovered. It is dangerous for the commoners to search too far into the jungle for more. They were all told to fear the monkoon people so there was never any connection made between the 2 rival groups.

Similarly, the sea and its usual bounty has also been fished out in this area. The townsfolk have a few small boats to use for fishing, but their recent over harvesting has caused the normal food sources in the immediate area to dry up almost completely. They still do a lot of fishing, but they don't do much catching.

The town has started agricultural endeavors, but the land they use to farm here is inadequately small for their growing numbers. Farming experiments are currently in progress, but growing crops takes time and effort, and lots of fertile land. This process is ongoing.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#469 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen, come the morning, will find Luther and offer to cast his healing light magic over the ranger. [1d8] = 6

He will also go to the town water supply and see how much water is left within, and how much it could take. He is prepared to cast two create water spells into the water supply which would create 16 gallons of water.

He will also see if he can try and gather some of the trolls bones to make some
Augury plaques.
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#470 Post by ravenn4544 »

Do we know if there are any other islands close by? Just wondering if any type of trade relationships could be arranged if so.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#471 Post by OGRE MAGE »

This island was never charted before now, even though this isn't exactly a remote location on the Azure Sea. It was rumored that it just appeared here one day, about 3-4 months ago.

You know of one tiny island right off of the shores of Beachtown, but so far that has yet to be explored.

viewtopic.php?f=446&t=6346#p293953

There may be other small islands nearby as well that you don't know about yet. The captain might have more information about that. But as far as you know, except for BSI, there are no other islands anywhere near to this one on the navigation charts.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#472 Post by Urson »

Luther

After Saracen's visit, Luther is very much himself again. Thank you, Saracen.

Luther gathers his bow, arrows, and daggers, plus his waterskin. He heads toward the river, telling any of the PC's he meets I need to be alone for a day or so. I'm going hunting- maybe I can collect enough meat to make it worth my trip.

THE HUNTER

Luther slips into the woodline outside of town, an arrow nocked on his bow. He moves carefully, his ears, eyes, and nose attuned to the jungle around him. Any track, any scat, any broken branch is examined to gather clues about the local wildlife. His mind is still, accepting whatever may come.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#473 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Brother Gilbert

(regarding the village's food situation...)

I have some knowledge of farming from home; after I learn more about the island, perhaps I could advise them on better means.

Br. G is reminded about why he "left" (was forced) to leave home: He has two big, strong, older brothers who took to the agricultural life with enthusiasm, and are set to inherit the family lands. He, on the other hand, was smaller and weaker... and well, much smarter. So he was sent off to the "church" as a way to get him out of the way.
SpinwardMarch

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#474 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Saracen heals the ailing Luther first thing in the morning before checking out the towns community water casks. He finds both of them well over half full, noting that his 16 gallons won't really add much to the current reserves. And now with the troll no longer a threat to the water gatherers, he decides to save his magic instead.

Most likely slightly late with this newest idea, he starts thinking about retrieving some of the dead troll bones. He will have to go back and see what is left in the ashes where the thing was burned half way up the beach.

Brother Gilbert continues wandering the town, helping where he can. He sees that the townsfolk could use some help in organizing their renewable food crops, and since he knows a lot about farming himself, he vows to help them once he is more knowledgeable of his surroundings.

After all the recent excitement, the loner woodsman Luther needs some time to himself. He decides that he will do some hunting, to clear his mind and to help feed the hungry people. Hearing no arguments from any of the others, he goes off into the wild all alone. (new thread forthcoming)

Monocar is very worried about his lost friends. Since he knows that they were last seen heading east, to the river, the same direction that the phanaton chieftain told them of a village of native hunters, he decides to roust up some friends and head that way immediately. (new thread forthcoming)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#475 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As the newest members of the town prepare to rest for the evening, they all see something odd happen about an hour or 2 before sundown.

Alordan the ranger goes down to the dock and starts talking with some Beachtown folks there that you haven't seen before.

After a bit of conversation, the ranger jumps into a small fishing boat with one stranger and they start heading towards the much smaller island just off the south coast.

Anyone watching sees the boat head straight for the tiny island, eventually disappearing from view as it rounds the far end.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#476 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As the sun starts to drop below the Azure Sea, the boat swings around the back of the island again and heads back to the main beach.

Fortunately, you can clearly see that both Alordan and his new friend have made it back to shore safely right before total darkness sets in.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#477 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen awakens late and heads out to see how Fisherman Joes vicious little spawn is. He will cast a healing spell over the little murdererous creature if he has yet to awake after a good night’s rest.

The holy champion thanks Joe again for his help and suggests they get out of town for a while, as the villains on the flash may try and re-take his son. If Joe isn’t amenable the orange clad warrior-priest shrugs and bids him good day.

Saracen will then wander off to find the town’s illustrious leader, and fill him in on just what is happening upon the green flash, slavery, bugbears, kidnapping, and waiting for the captain to return.
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#478 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Saracen finds Joe at a shared shack that the fishermen live in near the beach. The two meet outside.

"Come back to bust my boys head open again, priest? If you really care, you might like to hear that he woke up just fine this morning. He is still very groggy and uncertain about what happened during this whole thing, so I don't think it would be too good for him to see your face again anytime soon, no disrespect meant of course."

"Out of town? And just where do you suppose we would go, exactly? We aren't going anywhere until June is up again and we can have a good long talk about what happened. If you're worried about our safety, why don't you big bad adventuring types go and do something about them? That's what you're here for, ain't it?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#479 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#480 Post by Jernau35 »

Maag

Maag wanders over to the communal huts in search of information. "Anybody rahnd 'ere go out 'untin' in the jungle to the west"? he calls out. "Ah'm lookin' for information about a big square buildin' over dere. Might be sumfin in it for ya, if ya got sumfin good".
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Return to “Completed Missions”