Everyday Life in Beachtown

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Everyday Life in Beachtown

#61 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Since Wesley has seen no frogs, Chauncey will put off his expedition into the tree line and accompany the Druid to watch the manner of antidote brewing, in case it should prove helpful in the future.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#62 Post by Nuke66 »

OGRE MAGE wrote:
Nuke66 wrote:Raythan

"I figure about 40-50 yards, about half your logs will come from the trail village. The rest we can either expand the clearing, or towards the river. All I know is that I don't want to have a tree within 30 feet." Raythan adds.
Owen
Good idea! A little trail from town to your clearing, about 50 yards out. Let's walk it off and get a closer look at the exact placement. I can get started right away!"
The pair walks down the trail a ways, looking for a open spot to begin. Spying a clearing, they walk around checking the ground for level. Raythan stands in the middle, looking around, he points out a few isolated trees, "Those gotta come down."

He reaches into his purse and counts out 40 gold before shaking Owens hand, "40 a week and 50 upon completion." just to re-iterate the terms before paying the man.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#63 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Heeding the advice of the townie, big Luther decides against a trip to the river this late in the day. He instead takes a stroll over to the community water barrel and helps himself to some cool, delicious H2O. He feels slightly refreshed again, enjoying the drink in the late afternoon heat and humidity.

Wes and Chauncey visit the commoners, hoping to help the poisoned old man and to teach a few minor healing techniques to the others in the process. It takes them a while to brew the concoction, but their willingness to help is not lost on the townsfolk. The people reiterate to them both that most of the adventuring types that come to the island don't like to get involved with the boring day to day functions of the common people.

By the time the pair is finished, the old man looks slightly less distressed. Not exactly cured from his ailment, but feeling a little better from the visit, the old timer manages a smile as thanks to the nice gentlemen who are so willing to help. Once finished, the pair take their leave to see if there is any late evening antics happening at the Treehouse.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#64 Post by OGRE MAGE »

tkrexx wrote:Lightfinger again strolls thru Beachtown, this time cutting a wider swath, desiring to see the outskirts and treeline.

Still hoping to spy old Harold, the Halfling again exchanges polite smiles with anyone he runs across, and conversation with those who may speak.
The old wizard is nowhere to be found, but the Halfling does get a nice tour of the town as he walks about.

He does get one warning from an old woman to be careful as he peers into the jungle in a few places. These no telling what might poke its head out of the trees for a little snack, you know sonny.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#65 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nuke66 wrote:The pair walks down the trail a ways, looking for a open spot to begin. Spying a clearing, they walk around checking the ground for level. Raythan stands in the middle, looking around, he points out a few isolated trees, "Those gotta come down."

He reaches into his purse and counts out 40 gold before shaking Owens hand, "40 a week and 50 upon completion." just to re-iterate the terms before paying the man.
Owen's eyes widen at the upfront payment that he gladly accepts.

Wow! Thanks! I will sharpen my ax and get cutting right away! Come back and check out the progress anytime!

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Jack sleeps hard. It had been a busy day. His dream-filled nap extends til dawn.

Ready to move it along. :)
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger hears a voice during his reconnoiter.
These no telling what might poke its head out of the trees for a little snack, you know sonny.

He stops, glances sideways at the old Woman, then to the jungle, and again to the speaker. Really? He smirks just enough to show a dimple, and nods toward the thick foliage. I've fought the Zombies, seen the Monkoons... What do you think is out there?

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

As they approach the Treehouse, Wes notices that mosquitos and other bugs are starting to show themselves as the day begins to cool. Suddenly a thought strikes him! "You know Chauncey, these bloody bugs will eat us alive out there in the jungle. How about another quick trip beyond the treeline? I think I can find us some herbs and plants that I can use to make something that will keep the bugs away. I know some recipes for aloe and wild garlic. Let's see what we can find. We don't have a lot of time!"

Wes starts to head out to the treeline again, in search of more herbs.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#69 Post by OGRE MAGE »

tkrexx wrote:Lightfinger hears a voice during his reconnoiter.
These no telling what might poke its head out of the trees for a little snack, you know sonny.

He stops, glances sideways at the old Woman, then to the jungle, and again to the speaker. Really? He smirks just enough to show a dimple, and nods toward the thick foliage. I've fought the Zombies, seen the Monkoons... What do you think is out there?
Well, sonny, we got all kind of monsters round ere. The zombies are new, but the monkoons have been around the whole while.

I was speaking of tales that I've heard from many of the brave adventurers who have gone into the jungle and lived to tell about it. They've mentioned owlbears, needlemen, dragon lizards the size of large buildings, and even huge trees that walk around on their own. Ye best be ready if'n ya plan on going deep into the bush on this island.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#70 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jernau35 wrote:Wes

As they approach the Treehouse, Wes notices that mosquitos and other bugs are starting to show themselves as the day begins to cool. Suddenly a thought strikes him! "You know Chauncey, these bloody bugs will eat us alive out there in the jungle. How about another quick trip beyond the treeline? I think I can find us some herbs and plants that I can use to make something that will keep the bugs away. I know some recipes for aloe and wild garlic. Let's see what we can find. We don't have a lot of time!"

Wes starts to head out to the treeline again, in search of more herbs.
As the sun reaches the horizon and the light of the day begins to fade, Wes comes up with an excellent idea in the way of future comfort and sanity. He rushes back into the trees looking around for an aloe plant and some wild garlic. As he searches, the druid recalls the faint smell of both of these natural remedies when he was visiting the common house. It seems that the inhabitants of Beachtown must already be utilizing his newly conceived idea.

Since both plants are quite common in this climate, it does not take the druid long to find exactly what he needs to concoct a salve that should repel most of the pesky insects he fears. Before long, the half-elf is rubbing the pungent smelling goo that reeks of jellied onions all over his exposed skin. He sees the results of his work almost immediately as the mosquitos, gnats, and sand flees begin to leave him alone. He takes comfort in the fact that, even though he stinks worse now, he should still have blood in his body in the morning.

This is the kind of idea that just might save your.........skin out here. ;) Well done sir!

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Do you mind?" asks Chauncey as he samples some of Wesfaeren' bug salve. "Mmmmm, yes. It does seem to help with the pesky and relentless midges. Nicely done, sir. Now, keep an eye out for one or more of those poisonous frogs - they're the real pest. I feel if I can collect a few for study, we may be able, eventually, to concoct an even more effective antidote to the poison that poor bloated individual suffers from..." He begins peering around in the underbrush and up trees, under rocks and behind foliage, looking for any signs of the critters. "I hope they're not too large," he adds, thoughtfully, looking at his small, rubber coated sack.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes helps out Chauncey in his search for the poisonous frogs. Since he lacks Chauncey's protective gear, Wes' help consists mainly of using his spear to flip rocks, move leaves and look under fallen branches.

Once the fading light makes further searching impractical, Wes will retire to his shack for his prayers to Obad-Hai and a good night's sleep.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#73 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Wes shares his bug repellant salve with his friend Chauncey and the pesky flying insects begin to leave him alone as well. Wes then agrees to help the mage find some highly toxic and extremely deadly poisonous frogs. The duo spend some time flipping rocks and kicking over leaves, but despite being able to hear their constant chirping, they aren't able to spot even one of the elusive creatures. If they only had a little advice as to exactly where they should be looking.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Urson »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Heeding the advice of the townie, big Luther decides against a trip to the river this late in the day. He instead takes a stroll over to the community water barrel and helps himself to some cool, delicious H2O. He feels slightly refreshed again, enjoying the drink in the late afternoon heat and humidity.
When his waterskin is full, Luther scouts around for a shady spot to work (probably under the TreeHouse Bar), and spends the rest of the afternoon working with his supply of wire and twine, making snares for rabbit-sized creatures. When the bugs start to get too thick, he'll kindle a fire out in the open, making sure it's a smoky fire that will keep the biting bugs away. soon enough, he'll be asleep.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger swats at a mosquito, but his attention remains on the Hag.
Well, sonny, we got all kind of monsters round ere. The zombies are new, but the monkoons have been around the whole while .... Ye best be ready if'n ya plan on going deep into the bush on this island.
Hm, interesting, the Zombies are new? As in, the past month or so? The Thief responds thoughtfully. Tell me, Grandmother, are you acquainted with old Harold?

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#76 Post by Nuke66 »

Raythan reminds Luthor that they have have a shack to keep the bugs at bay, as he retires for the evening.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#77 Post by OGRE MAGE »

tkrexx wrote:Lightfinger swats at a mosquito, but his attention remains on the Hag.
Well, sonny, we got all kind of monsters round ere. The zombies are new, but the monkoons have been around the whole while .... Ye best be ready if'n ya plan on going deep into the bush on this island.
Hm, interesting, the Zombies are new? As in, the past month or so? The Thief responds thoughtfully. Tell me, Grandmother, are you acquainted with old Harold?
Hag

No, like in the last week er so! They have paid us a visit on 2 different occasions now, and their numbers seem to be multiplying each time.

I don't know anyone here named Harold. What's he look like? Us common folk don't know to many of the adventuring types. Most of em aint around long enough to get to know.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Urson »

Nuke66 wrote:Raythan reminds Luthor that they have have a shack to keep the bugs at bay, as he retires for the evening.
You're right! I had completely forgotten that!
Luther gathers his gear and follows Raythan.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#79 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nuke66 wrote:Raythan reminds Luthor that they have have a shack to keep the bugs at bay, as he retires for the evening.
Luther decides to spend a little time making some snares in hopes of catching some wild game. As he works into the twilight, he notices that some of the townsfolk begin stoking the large fire pit. They throw some green fronds onto it once it gets roaring again and the smoke it creates begins to lightly envelope the whole area. He thinks that this must be another way to ward off the biting insects for the evening.

Raythan stops by to remind the ranger that he has a hammock waiting for him in his shack. The two head off for some well deserved rest for the evening.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

After knocking a few more leaves aside, and turning over a few more rocks, Wes peers out at the gathering gloom as night begins to descend. "Right Chauncey, I think it's fair to say at this point we're only going to find a poisonous frog out here if we step on the bloody thing in the dark. I'm off to bed. Goodnight! Watch yer step!"
Exit, unpursued by mosquitos, Wes.

Return to “Completed Missions”