TREEHOUSE (tavern)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

TREEHOUSE (tavern)

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Treehouse is the islands first (and only, so far) tavern. It is built 20 feet up in the air, around a huge cotton tree that grows right up out of the sandy beach. The construction looks a lot like the rest of the buildings in Beachtown, shoddy, unattractive, and built with mostly flotsam, drift wood, and thatch.

There is a wide platform that makes up the main portion of the bar. It has a short 4' railing all the way around it. There is a rickety ladder that leads up through an opening next to the tree's trunk. There is also a small cart with ropes attached to each corner that one could get into. These ropes are connected to pulleys high above the main platform, allowing the whole contraption to be pulled up into the tavern for those who are unable to climb up the ladder.

The whole place looks to be in pretty rough shape. The "bar" itself is actually just a long rough plank with a few makeshift stools in front of it. The libation selection is somewhat limited to whatever is readily available on any given day. Right now, the two choices are a weak, watered down grog or RUM. (with or without fruit juice) The back bar is small and only has a few crockery mugs and pitchers next to the main wooden casks and barrels.

There is another wooden platform that acts as a ceiling on the first level, indicating that there may be another floor above. No stairs or ladder can be seen leading up there, however. The ropes from the cart/elevator run right through the upper boards of the ceiling. It also looks like there is a trap door that the cart would fit through in the ceiling, but it is always kept closed.

There is a short makeshift fence that runs around the entire tree. It doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose as it is only about three feet high. There is no door or gate in the fence.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: TREEHOUSE

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Things that happen inside the tavern will happen in this thread.

Miss Tal

Flips a gold coin to Randall, the dark skinned youth. "Well, that should buy us both a drink to quench my thirst after days of travel., she says and takes a seat at the bar. Krystal points to the obvious difference culturally and dress between him and the other patrons, "I would guess you know this place at lot better than them. Do you range far into the forest, can you tell me what's beyond the hills? If I ever needed a trustworthy guide are you the fellow?"

Randall

"Me guess a might know a bit more den mos people out here, but me no jungle guide fi sure. Da loggers at da end of da trail would be da ones to ask about wa pon out der in da bush.

Now den, will ya be haffin rum.......or grog?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Raythan is pushed aside so others are allowed to enter the tavern. The bar is empty other than two drunkards and Randall. He greets each person as they enter.

"Yesa! Yesa! Welcome! Come on up to da Treehouse!

Grog......or rum?

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Monsieur Rose »

"Bonnie"

After entering the treehouse and wandering around for a bit, Bonnie jumps up on the bar and starts talking.
"Excuse me, could I have everyone's attention? Bonnie scans the group.Thanks! I've met some of you and look forward to meeting the rest. I'm Bonnie. First off let me acknowledge that this place is, I'm sure, not what anyone had in mind when they saw that advertisement. I know it wasn't mine when I first got here. But looking around at what promises to be a capable group, I know we can make the best of it and find what we are each looking for. So, in the spirit of cooperation and what is hopefully a long and beneficial relationship....a round of rum is on me!"

Bonnie hops down and makes arrangements with the bartender.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

I still talking Saracen's ear off as they climb up. "...And then my brother fell out of the boat and was screaming at me 'You big...' " He stops mid-sentence when he finally enters and offers up a big smile an wave to the bartender when he walks in. "Hey! Nice to meet you! Monocar Jemara, at your service! And my good friend and business partner Saracen... uh... The Orange!"

He grins hearing the friendly Elf lady from before and nudges Saracen with a grin before turning back to her and the bartender. "Rum sounds good for me. By chance you have something to eat too? I'm starving!" he says grinning and looking eager as his eyes scan the room.
"Wow, this is a heck of a place! I never thought of building something like this before. Well, other than the little treehouse we built as kids. Actually it was more of a deck. My brother called it a death trap... Anyway, who's idea was it? Seems an interesting gimmick and I guess it would be good to keep the zombies out too, huh? Say, what's on the second floor? You wouldn't have rooms up there by chance, would you? I suppose we need to find a place to stay, although I am close to dead broke ever sense Miss Tal cleaned me out. Hey!" seeing the wily elf lady he grins all excited.
"There you are!" he walks over to Krystal and grins. "Any chance I can get an opportunity to win my money back? I'm not going to make it long with only a few coins in my pocket. Dice? Cards? Darts? Eating contest? I know I can eat more than you or probably anyone here." He grins, apparently thinking this is a real feat. "Whatever it is, let's say that you offer me a chance to win some money back if I win, and if you win.... uh...." Snaps his fingers at what he thinks is a good idea. "I'll carry your gear for a week. What do you say?" He grins big hoping the elf will rise to the bait.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes climbs up into the treehouse shortly after the others. He orders a rum and begins to circulate the room, looking for anybody who might be interested in splitting the cost of one of Mr Nehru's shacks.

"So then, anybody still looking for a place to stay? Nehru's prices are a bit steep for my purse, but I don't like the sound of that common room. Had enough of that on the deck of the ship. Do you fancy splitting the cost of a shack until we can all get some funds together? Oh, and something for you to consider: when you share a room with a druid who can talk to animals, you don't have to worry about being overrun by rats or eaten by flying bugs". He winks.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Having no interest for rumorgrog, whatever that is, Jack contents himself walking the outer perimeter of the treehouse platform, enjoying the incredible views of the ocean and the jungle canopy.

A treehouse. A real treehouse! he thinks as he ponders the possibilities:
At Bonnie's words, Jack drifts closer, wanting to be considered part of this "capable group."
Jernau35 wrote:Wes
"So then, anybody still looking for a place to stay? Nehru's prices are a bit steep for my purse, but I don't like the sound of that common room. Had enough of that on the deck of the ship. Do you fancy splitting the cost of a shack until we can all get some funds together? Oh, and something for you to consider: when you share a room with a druid who can talk to animals, you don't have to worry about being overrun by rats or eaten by flying bugs". He winks.
Suddenly, Jack is standing right next to the Man of Nature. He looks up at him and says softly. "I... I am looking for a place to stay, mister. I'm small. So I won't take much room. ...Do you think we could stay here?"
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal

Krystal thanks Randall for his knowledge and knocks back a glass of dark spicy rum, coarse and throat burning and bangs the glass on the table. "Now to business then, no time like the present. The loggers camp is at the end of the trail. How far is that?" Krystal asks Randall flipping him an extra gold and taking the bottle of rum. Looking over the tavern patrons, she sees a few faces from the ship and another elven lady (not a she-elf, or an elfess,).

"Any brave enough to trek to the logging camp can come with me, I leave within the hour. I expect to stay a couple of days and explore the fringe of this settlement. Beats combing the beaches for driftwood. Beachtown ain't going anywhere soon," she says and turns to gather her stuff. Taking a table she pulls up a few chairs and pours the remaining rum from the bottle into several glasses, inviting folk interested in the excursion to join with her.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Monsieur Rose wrote:"Bonnie"

After entering the treehouse and wandering around for a bit, Bonnie jumps up on the bar and starts talking.
"Excuse me, could I have everyone's attention? Bonnie scans the group.Thanks! I've met some of you and look forward to meeting the rest. I'm Bonnie. First off let me acknowledge that this place is, I'm sure, not what anyone had in mind when they saw that advertisement. I know it wasn't mine when I first got here. But looking around at what promises to be a capable group, I know we can make the best of it and find what we are each looking for. So, in the spirit of cooperation and what is hopefully a long and beneficial relationship....a round of rum is on me!"

Bonnie hops down and makes arrangements with the bartender.
Randall gives this behavior a strange look but doesn't interfere once the order is placed. He takes a head count and tally's up the damages.

"Dat be 7 rum toe tal at 1 gold per mug. Dat will be 7 gold, please!
Spearmint wrote:Miss Tal

Krystal thanks Randall for his knowledge and knocks back a glass of dark spicy rum, coarse and throat burning and bangs the glass on the table.
Randall grabs Krystal's hand as she attempts to swipe the whole bottle.

"Ya canna haff da ole bokkle fi dis one coin! It be one coin per mug! Da ole bokkle is 15 gold!!! Dis stuff aint easy ta come by way out ear!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#10 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Randall serves the drinks out to each patron (if Bonnie pays) then he looks to the huge rambling giant named Monocar.

Yesa! Ello der!

NO! We no haffi tings ta eat up ear. Dis only da rum bar.

Der is no rooms eider. Nobody live up above! It only use fi storage!

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Monsieur Rose »

"Bonnie"
Randall wrote: Randall gives this behavior a strange look but doesn't interfere once the order is placed. He takes a head count and tally's up the damages.

"Dat be 7 rum toe tal at 1 gold per mug. Dat will be 7 gold, please!
Bonnie raises an eyebrow at this news, but smiles and hands over the gold.
"Of course, of course. No problem at all." Bonnie turns to the only other rational being in the room and sits down with her.
"I'm Bonnie" She says in elven to Krystal. "What is such a fine lady of the noble race doing way out here? I'd be glad to join you on your expedition, assuming we can have some company."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger harrumphs.

Standing, hands on hips glaring at those who arrived at the treehouse before him, then mutters and stalks back to pick up his satchel. Clearly some of us were somewhat less gallant than others. If I didn't need to nail that Zombie... Where did that old guy go? He retrieves his gear and ascends into the treehouse.
looking around at what promises to be a capable group, I know we can make the best of it and find what we are each looking for. So, in the spirit of cooperation and what is hopefully a long and beneficial relationship....a round of rum is on me!"
Ooooo, rum! The charming Hobbit nearly dances to the forefront of Bonnie's sudden entourage of admirers. My Lady, you are obviously one of good taste, with a definite talent for reading people. Unusual to find such wisdom and courage in one so fair! He shoots a look at Randall, I'll have mine with fruit juice. His sparkling smile and thick dimples return to the Lady. Thank you ever so much, dear Miss, Lightfinger's the name, if you are ever in need of me. He bows slightly, then turns and takes in what passes for a bar.
So then, anybody still looking for a place to stay? Nehru's prices are a bit steep for my purse, but I don't like the sound of that common room.
I'll room with you, Preacher. I like you Wood Priests, I've seen what you can do. Several back where I'm from. I'm safer with you than without. His eyes lock suddenly upon Jack. Bring the Boy with you, he nor I take up much space, and I think this kid's got talent. Did you see him picking off those Zombies with a bow?
Any brave enough to trek to the logging camp can come with me, I leave within the hour. I expect to stay a couple of days and explore the fringe of this settlement. Beats combing the beaches for driftwood. Beachtown ain't going anywhere soon.
Neither am I, I think, Lighfinger answers the Elven beauty, Today I celebrate my first sea voyage, tidy up whichever hut good Wes deems suitable, and have a good meal. Likely scout about the outskirts of the town a bit. Tomorrow you won't able to keep me away from the loggers' trail camp. He gives her a quick wink for good measure. She likes me.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Nuke66 »

Raythan

Raythan extricates himself from the tavern. not real happy with the behaviors of the patrons during the zombie attack.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

After making his pitch for room-mates to all chip in and share the cost of a shack for a week, Wes finds himself in conversation with Lightfinger and Jack, who have both expressed an interest.

"I'm sure we'll all be cramped in there, big or small," he says "I can't imagine Mr Nehru has put more than the minimum of effort into them. Still, it will be a pleasure to have your company. I spoke to Saracen on the way over here, and he's up for sharing too. 'Safety in numbers', he said. Well, we'll definitely have the numbers!"

"To be honest, I think splitting the cost is the right way to go. I don't see the point in renting a shack for a whole week really. Let's face it: we're not here to lie in bed all week, we're here to adventure, explore, and seek fortunes! We'll probably spend most of our time out there in the jungle".

"Now then, I'm just a poor simple country boy, but by my reckoning, 5 gp split four ways is 1 gold and 5 silver each. Do you want to head on over to Nehru's office after we finish our drinks? We can pick up Saracen on the way".
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Jack's little chest swells with pride at the talkative hobbit's assessment of his archery skills.

"I... I would go to the logging camp," he says to the mean, wicked, evil lady.

Then he turns to the kind druid and the funny hobbit: "Maybe we should go to the zombie camp with everyone before we pay Mister Nehru. What if we don't come back?
"... right away, I mean."

Jack looks to the nasty lady and the nice lady named Bonnie, "I can be ready in an hour!"
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Raythan is disgusted by the actions of the two uncaring drunkards in the Treehouse, even more so when they are included in the free drinks. He takes his leave and heads back over to the Hi-Lo.

Randall the barkeep gives Jack a sideways glance when he starts wandering around his bar. Once Lightfinger begins speaking, the elf child is simply passed off as a young Halfling. Lightfinger bravely asks the keep if he could have some fruit juice mixed in with his mug of rum. To which Randall replies, "Yesa! Yesa! No problem! Ya know.......da grog be much cheaper ana lot less po tant if ya'd rader haff dat, likkle fella!" The two freeloading yet quite rough looking patrons have a good chuckle once the juice is poured.

Krystal announces her bold plan of attack of heading out down the logging trail within the hour. Bonnie and likkle little Jack are her only immediate takers. Monocar speaks to the elf lady, but he seems more intent on playing games of chance with her instead.

Ever the wise one, Waesfaren lines up three roomies to share a shack with. Lightfinger and Jack both agree to the idea, but offer the broke druid no monetary assurance. The druid decides to also head back to the Hi-Lo once his mug-o-rum is finished.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal

Krystal takes Monocar by the hand and leads him to the table, "Please, Miss Bonny, let me introduce one of Hochochs' finest young men Monocar, indeed one of the heroes' of the ship. He braved the waves to go face to face with the snarling sharks that sought to sink us, armed only with a spear and much courage." Krystal gives Monocar one of the glasses of rum and pulls a seat for him. "I am sure he will play guardian to us and accompany our trek along the logging road, won't you?"

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger laughs loudly.

Keep your gold, Preacher, I'll cover this. We've already seen the lad here is unencumbered by wealth, and between us, I'd much rather the orange Half-Orc be in my debt than vice-versa. Not that I'd hold anything like that over his head, oh no, I value my head too much. It simply cheers me to know a strong arm will be among us if the need arises. I truly would like a place to call our own, if in fact we do go on an excursion this very day; you never know, we may well be returning in a much bigger hurry than we leave.
5gp deducted.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Monsieur Rose »

"Bonnie"

Bonnie smiles at Monocar. "I believe we've met. I saw your bravery on the beach, so while I'm not surprised at your ship adventure I am intrigued. How ever did you come to be over the side of the ship fighting sharks hand to fin?!"
Bonnie gives Monocar her undivided attention.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar Jemara
Spearmint wrote:Miss Tal

Krystal takes Monocar by the hand and leads him to the table, "Please, Miss Bonny, let me introduce one of Hochochs' finest young men Monocar, indeed one of the heroes' of the ship. He braved the waves to go face to face with the snarling sharks that sought to sink us, armed only with a spear and much courage." Krystal gives Monocar one of the glasses of rum and pulls a seat for him. "I am sure he will play guardian to us and accompany our trek along the logging road, won't you?"

Well, that was not what he expected. The young man finds himself being escorted by a pair of beautiful elven ladies and handed a cup of rum. He finds himself looking at them in disbelief, and in his shock he even looks at Saracen as if to ask is this really happening? He settles in and at least has the decency to blush a little at Krystal's accolades.
"Bonnie"

Bonnie smiles at Monocar. "I believe we've met. I saw your bravery on the beach, so while I'm not surprised at your ship adventure I am intrigued. How ever did you come to be over the side of the ship fighting sharks hand to fin?!"
Bonnie gives Monocar her undivided attention.
He grins a little and takes a swig of his rum. "Well these big fish were coming at the boat and the captain and crew were getting all excited. Captain says, everyone with a missile on the rail. So I ran over and grabbed my spear. I tried to throw it but I missed. Plunk! Right into the drink." He has another sip of his drink. "I'm going to miss that spear. Anyway! I braced for impact and sure enough they rammed the ship. Once I had my footing I spotted a long pole with a gaff hook so I grabbed it up and went back to the rail. By now one was dead from arrows and stuff, another was in the wake eating someone's granny who had fallen off the ship when they rammed. I got ready and asked for someone to lash a rope around me so I wouldn't fall off into the water... I think someone pushed me..." he eyes Krystal suspiciously for a split second remembering. "Anyway, there I was hanging by the rope around my wait with the gaff hook in my hands... This big fish pokes his head right out of the water because he," points a thumb at Wes. "Started making all kinds of weird noises. Apparently it looks up out of the water to see who was skinning mice alive and I wacked him right on top of the head just as everyone let loose arrows and magics and all kinds of buggery on both of them. As we sailed away, the other two fish just turned around and ate their dead buddies instead of chasing us. I thought I would be hauled up... but Krystal here hands me a chum bucket and asked me to start fishing... well... I guess that part isn't important... Point is, after even all that we show up just as those zombie-what's-its were attacking and then I met you."
For just a moment the room stands still and Monocar exist outside of time. The room freezes and takes on kind of a blueish grey toned black and white. There is a small imp on one shoulder and a little cherub on the other. "Uh... what's happening? Who are you?"

"We're your conscious," says the cherub.

"We're surfacing to help you work through the important stuff in your life." says the imp.

"This is strange," Monocar says.

"No,what is strange is the Elven Lady, Miss Krystal," says the Cherub. "Remember how she talked you into betting whether or not the child would jump out of the rigging? You should have stepped in and helped, instead, now you are broke and it serves you right. You know better than that!"

"Oh don't listen to him. You had fun and no one was hurt. So who cares? Besides, looks like you are going to have plenty of more opportunities to make some real money. Not to mention some glory!" says the Imp.

"Hmmm.... I do like money and glory..."

"We're not here for money and glory for the sake of money and glory! Money to open the guild later, sure, but think of all these people here that need help. YOUR help! Think of the good you could do!"

"Yeah, they seem to be in bad shape here. Those zombies were aweful... and apparently there isn't any food..."

"Yeah, they need help, and they will pay out the nose for it... You could be their hero! And look! You have two elven lasses sitting with you. Never mind that Krystal got your money, when you wacked that big fish you won her attention and it is paying off! If you go with them and play your cards right you might even be able to get with both of them and..."

"No! no! no! Stop! These are ladies until proven otherwise! They deserve your respect!"

"I'd like to show them some respect..." he giggles and begins gyrating and dancing a little rudely.

"You guys don't get along very well do you?"

"No." they say in unison.

"You're no help..." he rolls his eyes and waves them away. Slowly the world comes back into focus and the colors return just as time steadily resumes. He looks up to the two elven ladies and smiles wide.
"Ladies, I would be more than happy to help you in any way that I can. It would be an honor to come along with you, but I have two questions. 1. What are we doing? and 2.
" he looks at Krystal. "Are you a dragon?"

Return to “Completed Missions”