Character Generation Q&A

OGRE MAGE
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Character Generation Q&A

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Hello and Welcome!

Please post any comments or questions that you might have.

Campaign ID # is 522

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Character Generation Q&A

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I will post this first in case it's a deal breaker for anyone.

I will require you to write up a short history/background for each of your characters. It doesn't have to be much, I am basically looking for 3 things:

Where are you originally from geographically?

Do you still have any family there (or elsewhere) or any other ties to that area?

How is it that you came to be an adventurer?

It would make it easier for me if you picked places in the general area of the games intro. WoG, somewhere between the Crystalmist and the Lortmil mountain ranges. If your story is good enough, I can make exceptions to this.

Here is a map of the general area. You will be starting out in the Kingdom of Keoland, in the little town of Saltmarsh (not on map), on the west coast of the Azure Sea, on the very northeast edge of the Hool marshes.
IMG_0761.GIF
IMG_0761.GIF (540.88 KiB) Viewed 5259 times

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

You will have 2 options for rolling up ability scores.

You can create and then roll a macro for six rolls of 4d6, dropping the lowest, and placing them in any order. This must be in a macro and show up as a roll in your log.

Or

You can use 72 points, split however you like, with no scores lower than an 8. This allows for every possible class and makes for some pretty powerful characters. You'll need that. :twisted:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

You can take max hit points at first level!

Rangers will take the first 8 and then roll for the second d8. (+ any Con bonus)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

When Buying Equipment:

You can take maximum starting gold to use for equipping your characters. Anything too far out of the norm will have to be run past me first. Remember, if it's not on your sheet, you don't have it.

Please keep rough track of your encumbrance as well. I'm not a huge stickler on this but being overly encumbered will affect your movement rate. Not a good thing when you're running away from..... :shock:

You are not limited to the lists in the books. That would just be mean. :D

Carry whatever you like. Price any other stuff you want according to something similar on the list. If it is anything exotic or off the wall, I will need to approve it first.

There is no gunpowder or greek fire. Oil flasks are simply lamp oil and will be subject to those rules. (no pyros please!) :D

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#6 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Spells Slots and Starting Spells:

I will be using spell slots in this game. You wont need to pick your spells daily. If you are able to cast three first level spells per day, you can cast ANY three spells of that level (Cleric/Druid), or any three spells that you have in your spell books of that level. (M.U./Ill)

Magic Users and Illusionists will start out with a total of 7 spells in their books. The three required spells will be Read Magic, Detect Magic, and Comprehend Languages. The other 4 spells can be chosen by the player.

The 3 required spells can each be cast once per day without using up a spell slot on them.

You will be allowed to pick one more spell each time you level. That spell, and any others that you acquire through adventuring, will then be subject to the Intelligence rules.

We will not be using the UA as far as starting spells go. However, it is possible that you may find some of those spells in books or on scrolls during gameplay, and possibly some of the magic items from that tome as well.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Secondary Skill:

You will be allowed to pick one secondary skill that you can use in your background story if you'd like. If you don't see anything that fits or that you like from the list, you can just make one up.
IMG_0762.JPG
IMG_0762.JPG (269.44 KiB) Viewed 5154 times

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Incidentally, I will likely be rearranging this thread a lot as I continue putting up information.

Please don't take it personal if I have to delete some of your posts to get stuff up to the top. :D

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sheet Tracking:

This is a character building world so it will be imperative for everyone to keep close track of their sheets. You won't need to track things like ammunition or rations, and I will obviously track current hit points etc., but you will be required to keep track of everything else. Especially your wealth, magic items, and spells.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#10 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nuke66 wrote:I looked before I ask this question. Are UA spells available?

I got a chuckle out of this one. :D

We will not be using the UA as far as starting spells go. However, it is possible that you may find some of those spells in books or on scrolls during gameplay, and possibly some of the magic items from that tome as well.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As some of you may have already noticed, I loosened up a little on the race restrictions for the Cleric class. (sorry, only clerics) I am still tweaking exactly how I want to do this, but if you see an elven cleric or whatever out there, dont freak out. You will be allowed to do the same.

So far I have only been doing this on a per player basis, but I will get some rules down in here about how we will do it officially eventually.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Quonundrum »

Cats and dogs, living together ... mass hysteria!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#14 Post by OGRE MAGE »

And now you know why I lock some of these threads. :lol:

Return to “Big Shiny Island (1E Sandbox, with real sand)”