Everyday Life in Beachtown

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Everyday Life in Beachtown

#501 Post by Urson »

Luther

Early in the day, Luther wanders out of his shack, yawning and scratching indelicate places. Within the hour, he's geared up and ready to go. He stops by the general store and the tavern.

I'm going out hunting. Please let the other adventuring types know, so they don't decide I've disappeared.

OM: Luther's heading for the 2nd hex west of town- the first one past the one marked 'Monkoons'
FA FO
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#502 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Chauncey notices some nice improvements made to Avalaa'a shack when he enters. He also notices that his magic crayon has dwindled another 1/4 inch after his wonderful drawings.

Hey CP, do me a favor. Try to determine who is all going back with you on the slavers run so I can get a head count as to who is going where. Thanks!
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#503 Post by ChubbyPixie »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Chauncey notices some nice improvements made to Avalaa'a shack when he enters. He also notices that his magic crayon has dwindled another 1/4 inch after his wonderful drawings.

Hey CP, do me a favor. Try to determine who is all going back with you on the slavers run so I can get a head count as to who is going where. Thanks!
Thatll be my next task as soon as I can find time to post his quest for party members.... :)
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#504 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Urson wrote:Luther

Early in the day, Luther wanders out of his shack, yawning and scratching indelicate places. Within the hour, he's geared up and ready to go. He stops by the general store and the tavern.

I'm going out hunting. Please let the other adventuring types know, so they don't decide I've disappeared.

OM: Luther's heading for the 2nd hex west of town- the first one past the one marked 'Monkoons'
Luther heads out towards the west to try his luck at bagging something big to bring back to town. Smartly, he lets a few people know about his intentions before he leaves. He finds that the beach trail heading west is getting a little more use now. He looks around for tracks, but doesn't find anything substantial to follow. Cutting into the jungle about a mile from town, he searches for any usual signs of game. He doesn't find much this close to the settlement.

He moves around a bit more, trying to cover more ground as the morning passes.

Please make a percentile roll for me Urson, Thanks!
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#505 Post by ChubbyPixie »

How about this... (might require a little time jumping between his convo with Avalaa and the next morning)

Early the next morning the settlement awakens to find a finely scribed piece of parchment tacked to the treehouse at ground level, next to the rope ladder, with a familiar looking dart. It reads: Harken to me, fellow adventuring types! Excursion proposed, the results upon which our very existence as a cohesive, autonomous town unit may depend. Leaving in one day’s time. Please inquire at the shack of Chauncey the Adequate at your earliest convenience. Those in favor of slavery and oppression need not apply.

P.S. Will the literate please be so kind as to pass this along orally to the less readingly inclined? Thanks so much. - CHAUNCEY.
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#506 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

The big man gets up early the next morning as is becoming his custom. He gets himself out to the beach and washes off in the surf before going to "his spot" on the beach where he has been joining Scaracen for morning prayers to greet the sun. That being done, and feeling reinvigorated after a night of rest and his spiritual recentering. He then munches half of his ration of crab cakes before going to grab a set of buckets, wanting to just do some work while he heals up today and hoping to avoid having to walk with that mean of Marge.

Two questions:
1. Could Monocar carry a yoke with two buckets on each shoulder for 4 total... and yes, I mean with water.
2. How many trips could he make in a day just hoofing it back and forth?
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#507 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bluehorse wrote:Monocar

The big man gets up early the next morning as is becoming his custom. He gets himself out to the beach and washes off in the surf before going to "his spot" on the beach where he has been joining Scaracen for morning prayers to greet the sun. That being done, and feeling reinvigorated after a night of rest and his spiritual recentering. He then munches half of his ration of crab cakes before going to grab a set of buckets, wanting to just do some work while he heals up today and hoping to avoid having to walk with that mean of Marge.

Two questions:
1. Could Monocar carry a yoke with two buckets on each shoulder for 4 total... and yes, I mean with water.
2. How many trips could he make in a day just hoofing it back and forth?
Sure, he can do that. He is definitely strong enough.

The trip is about 4 hours back and forth if you hustle, so he could essentially make 3 or even 4 trips in one day. (random encounter rolls would still apply of course)
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#508 Post by Urson »

Luther

percent[1d100] = 36

Luther smiles as he prowls the jungle. He's well aware that dealing with the monsters- and these slavers- is important, but the fact that folks are near- starving in town gnaws at him. He lifts his head, sniffs the breeze, and continues north.
FA FO
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#509 Post by SirOwen »

ChubbyPixie wrote:Pausing just outside Aavala's door, Chauncey has a thought. He once again pulls out the crayon and a piece of paper from his pack and quickly sketches out seven darts to restock his supply:
IMG_9948.JPG
He then knocks on the door. "Aavala! Are you quite home? I wish to speak with you, my friend."
Hey, OM: Before the small brazier, the pearls and now the darts, the magical crayon had four and a half inches remaining.
If the mage answers, Chauncey will fill him in on the results of the excursion up the river, the destroyed village and the news of the slaving enterprise he gleaned from the cheeky sailor and from Wesley's accounts. He'll also tell him of the temple said to be beyond the illicit fields. "Finally, my dear Aavala, I wish to impart custody of the Amazing Crayon into your hands for a time. I've had a small bit of use of it and fear I will exceed my due if left in possession. Please take good care of it and use it as you see wise." he says. "Oh, and eh... I may need to borrow it for more darts in the future. I seem to lose these suckers roughly every other throw..."
Avaala the Grey

Avaala actually hugs Chauncey. "I am so very glad to see you. So many of these jungle excursions have ended badly. But then, what was I thinking? You are, after all, the Guildmaster of Mages of this entire island!" He then sits and listens carefully to Chauncey's tale. "Amazing. You give them an easy solution and they wind up chopping their way into whole new injuries anyway. It's true, you know? Not everyone has the wits to do what we do." As Chauncey offers him possession of The Crayon, Avaala nods most solemnly. "I will take the greatest of care."

Then Avaala returns to business, "Chauncey, I have discovered a new enchantment! It is... heh... blindingly powerful! Pardon the pun, but this spell can actually make the caster, or another person, completely transparent! Proof against the keenest of eyes! True invisibility! When we have an opportunity, you must copy this. I can think of a dozen uses for it without straining."

Once Chauncey tells him about the slavers, Avaala nods again, "I suspect they must be in league with those bloody pirates from the ship Green Flash. Saracen and I rescued a warrior and a young boy from it. Nothing but villains. Slavery would fit right in with what we saw. Unfortunately, I have already promised to set out with that young priest in search of a mysterious structure within the jungle. It would speak badly of me, and our guild, if I were to renege on my word."

After a moment, Avaala continues, "Perhaps it is for the best. Should either adventure prove to be... fateful... not all the magical aptitude on the island shall be lost."
"There is no spoon."
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#510 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

As the water train returns to town, and they take their leave of Marge, Jaxsen thanks Gwen. "It was very enjoyable to speak to someone who already knows of the Hive Queen. I am beginning to think one of the reasons I have been brought here is to bring the first word of Her to this island. Do you think that is possible? Could a lowly grub like me be so honored?"

He reaches into one of his pouches and pulls out a bit of jerky. "Would you like some? It was a clean animal, some sort of huge rodent I have not seen before, and I dried the meat myself." Gwen may get something of a mixed set of signals from Jax. He can seem so focused and serious one moment, and then a complete insect-addled yokel the next.
"There is no spoon."
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#511 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey cries out and flinches dramatically when Avalaa goes to hug him, sure he is being betrayed and attacked by his only fellow guild member seeking to displace him. It takes him a moment to realize what is happening and even then he is unsure, having never been hugged before. And it's not the kind of scenario one stumbles upon in the reading of dusty magical tomes.

"Celestian's glittering tunic!" he cries. "...Oh!... er, yes, Avaala. I'm also glad you aren't deceased." After getting a grip on himself and exchanging information, he says: "This spell of yours, I believe, will prove quite useful. You leave tomorrow? As soon as you are back from your excursion, we must trade knowledge once again. My spell of Spider Webbing has already proved intensely practical - I think you'll find it a fair trade. With it, I zoinked a bad guy straight into a river where he died a horrible drowning death!" Chauncey smiles at the memory. "Oh... I did try not killing him, before killing him," he adds.

"Well, best of luck to you sir. Find us some new magic in this temple or whatever, won't you? I, of course, will do the same." With that he leaves and retires for the night.
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#512 Post by ChubbyPixie »

The next day (the day of posting the notice...)

Approaching Monocar on one of his several trips back into town bearing water, Chauncey asks for the giant man's assistance. "Monocar, will you aid me in my endeavor to free the villagers who were enslaved? It's all the work of this Captain Bing - he must be stopped, and only I... with your help, of course... possess the means to stop him! We'll have to work on some sort of signal to indicate who I've ensorcelled, to avoid their needless slaughter, of course, but I would very much like you on my team. I plan to gather a strike force, as it were, and leave tomorrow. What do you say, sir?"
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#513 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Urson wrote:Luther

percent[1d100] = 36

Luther smiles as he prowls the jungle. He's well aware that dealing with the monsters- and these slavers- is important, but the fact that folks are near- starving in town gnaws at him. He lifts his head, sniffs the breeze, and continues north.
The big bear of a human surveys the land and stalks around through the area west of town. Even here he sees a lot of signs of hunting and trapping, but no signs of any local game left. There are a few tracks here and there, but nothing substantial to go off of.

Luther realizes that the jungle has been over harvested here as well. Seeing a few tracks makes him glad that there is at least some sign of life, but he wonders how long it will take for the area to replenish itself again.

After a thorough morning search roughly a mile in each direction, the ranger moves north and continues searching for something to bring back for the townsfolk to eat. After another extensive search shows him little change in this next area, he stops for a second to hear what the jungle has to say. Suddenly, an almond fruit drops from the tree above, hitting him directly on the top of his head. When he slowly looks up, he sees a furry stranger staring down at him.
IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG (41.62 KiB) Viewed 467 times
Action?
tomlowshang
Tracker
Tracker

#514 Post by tomlowshang »

SirOwen wrote:Jaxsen Reiter

As the water train returns to town, and they take their leave of Marge, Jaxsen thanks Gwen. "It was very enjoyable to speak to someone who already knows of the Hive Queen. I am beginning to think one of the reasons I have been brought here is to bring the first word of Her to this island. Do you think that is possible? Could a lowly grub like me be so honored?"

He reaches into one of his pouches and pulls out a bit of jerky. "Would you like some? It was a clean animal, some sort of huge rodent I have not seen before, and I dried the meat myself." Gwen may get something of a mixed set of signals from Jax. He can seem so focused and serious one moment, and then a complete insect-addled yokel the next.
Gwethglersinwen Larendirina

Gwen chews on the offered jerky. "Tastes like chicken."

Gwen remembers a little more about Bralm now and its not all positive, so she treads lightly. "I've only read about Bralm in history books, which doesn't qualify me to answer your questions."

"If you'll excuse me, I must speak with Mr. Nehru."
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#515 Post by Urson »

Luther

Seeing the Treefolk, Luther gets to his feet and follows the same process he did when he went up into the canopy: He looks toward the fellow- but does not meet his eyes, he smiles without showing any teeth, and he spreads his hands in front of himself, to show he's not holding a weapon.

I am Luther. I've met a lot of your kinfolk near the human town. I mean no harm. He knows the TreeFolk won't understand him, but he's hoping a calm voice will show his peaceful intent.

Luther then takes a long drink of water from his waterskin and holds the skin out to the observer in the tree.
FA FO
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#516 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The phanaton watches Luther's actions closely, not concerned that it doesn't understand a word he says. He doesn't take the offered drink, but he does make an offer of his own.

He points to the center of his furry little chest and then down at Luther. He does this again two more times. Then a large breadfruit drops straight down from some higher unseen branches. He catches it in both hands with barely a look up. He points to the green cantaloupe sized bumby skinned fruit and then, again points back down at Luther.

The trained ear of the ranger senses more movement, much higher up in this huge breadfruit tree.
SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#517 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jax parts ways with Gwen and then spends the rest of the evening with the villagers, tending the cooking fires, serving up to others whatever has been grown, hunted or fished from the sea for today's meal. After supper, whatever activity seems to be the most difficult and/or helpful will catch Jax' attention and his help.

(Weaving baskets, tying fishing nets, whatever)

As he works, he tells stories about the Crystalmist Mountains where he grew up. Mostly the parables he grew up with, praising the hard work of those who built something important for their friends and family.

Finally, he returns to the common house and settles in for sleep, thinking about heading into the jungle tomorrow to find the mysterious wooden dwelling.
"There is no spoon."
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#518 Post by Bluehorse »

ChubbyPixie wrote:The next day (the day of posting the notice...)

Approaching Monocar on one of his several trips back into town bearing water, Chauncey asks for the giant man's assistance. "Monocar, will you aid me in my endeavor to free the villagers who were enslaved? It's all the work of this Captain Bing - he must be stopped, and only I... with your help, of course... possess the means to stop him! We'll have to work on some sort of signal to indicate who I've ensorcelled, to avoid their needless slaughter, of course, but I would very much like you on my team. I plan to gather a strike force, as it were, and leave tomorrow. What do you say, sir?"
Putting down his double load, he stretches. Chsucy, I'd love to, but I'm beat. I need some time to heal before i get into another fight. I want to though. I really do. Did Maag ever find you? Met him last night in the treehouse... big halforc guy. Looks like he could kick like a mule. We should bring him along. Fresh perspiration on things as my daddy always says.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#519 Post by Urson »

Luther

Luther bows his head and pulls his hands close to his body, trying to indicate I'm not worthy. He recalls the Phanaton consider the breadfruit a delicacy and a special gift.
FA FO
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#520 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Studying the lower tree limbs closely, Luther doesn't actually see any of the plump breadfruit hanging from them, just like most of the other food bearing trees around town.

When he bows and draws his hands in, the creature takes pity on him and tosses the round fruit onto the ground at Luther's feet. As soon as it lands, another drops from above which he also catches deftly. And then another. He continues tossing the fruit until there are nearly a dozen of them lying on the ground.

The phanaton finally stops and stares back at Luther as he catches yet another globe out of mid air. The creature smiles again and pats his furry tummy this time. He points at the fruit and then again at Luther.

Return to “Completed Missions”