Quest #12 "Rapping With The Village People"

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #12 "Rapping With The Village People"

#161 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger fidgets more.

The small Thief tries to appear innocent, strolls to the forest's edge and seems to be relieving himself. He's careful to put the larger folk between himself and the spy in the sea. If a moment comes that he feels he's possibly unobserved, he'll disappear into the leaves.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar
tkrexx wrote:Lightfinger fidgets more.

The small Thief tries to appear innocent, strolls to the forest's edge and seems to be relieving himself. He's careful to put the larger folk between himself and the spy in the sea. If a moment comes that he feels he's possibly unobserved, he'll disappear into the leaves.
Seeing Lightfinger apparently peeing he turns away, but then turns again to check on him and see him just as he is disappearing and assumes he had to go poop. "Everyone make sure to leave Lightfinger alone over there in the bushes. I think he had to poop.
That'd be rude to disturb him or call attention to it..."
What would the hobbit do without a friend like him to watch over him.
Storm11 wrote:Perhaps we could come back under the cover of night and try and quietly board the vessel and ask? the holy champion suggests, visit dipping a pail into the river.

”We could do with digging a channel from the river to the village. Perhaps with undercover pipes. That would save the time and energy of these good folk, and potentially some of the water running to the village could be syphoned off for irrigation purposes.”
Monocar listens and grins nodding enthusiastically. "They could use some of it to water their crops too! That's a good idea!
I bet the Phantatons would be interested in it. The water would probably help their trees grow too and make more of that bread fruit."

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#163 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Brother Gilbert

We can talk about getting water to the village later. In the meantime, we should take our filled water buckets back. This doesn't seem to be the best place to make plans.

He can see that organizing people is going to be a useful skill.
SpinwardMarch

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey stands up from his crouch by the river and gazes out towards the ship, hands on hips, contemplating. Finally, he says out loud "Should we care whether or not we are observed? Are we not free 'citizens' of the settlement, at liberty to go where we please? If the occupants of the ship, currently present or not, are indeed irredeemably evil as Lightfinger suggests, they certainly aren't aware that we know that. The lookout most likely merely guards the ship - to which, lacking a boat, we do not have access. Let us go about our business and seek out this village and our missing compatriots."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#165 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Seeking Out The Village People
Godsday, 2nd of Goodmonth
Mid Morning, Hot, Humid, Buggy

Lightfinger disappears into the jungle and becomes nearly undetectable after slinking only a short way into the bush. Luckily, Monocar is there to keep track of him.

Marge sees this action and frowns.

Saracen suggests going back to town and returning to board the ship after dark.

Marge nods her head enthusiastically.

Chauncey makes his point be known that he is ready to head up the trail, regardless of who is watching.

This makes Marge frown again.

Saracen and Monocar discuss a pipe-line or a trench running the entire 4 miles back to Beachtown.

Marge's ears perk up.

Alordan asks Luther a question about the size of the rafts.

Luther does not answer.

Marge and her group fill the rest of their pails and reform the train, ready to head back to Beachtown.

Brother Gilbert tries to rally the party together so they can all head back to town.

Marge complies.

The discombobulated group seems to be at a bit of a stalemate.

Actions?

Luther R3 20/20
Lightfinger T3 16/16
Monocar F2 21/21
Saracen F/C 2/3 25/25 3/4 first 1/1 second
Chauncey MU3 16/16 CL, DM, RM 2/2 first 1/1 second
Brother Gilbert C1 8/8 3/3 first
Avaala MU2 9/9 CL, DM, RM 2/2 first
Rollo 17/17
Alordan R3 18/18

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Looks at all the goings on and looks at the ship and then the river. "I still want to look for Bonnie and the rest of the missing folks.
Those are good people. What about them?"
He looks hard at Luthar. "Can't this other stuff wait? As far as we know they are still alive out there and could be in trouble. Doesn't that matter?"

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan offers some options, "If we decide not to head up river now, I do know of a row boat that would hold a few of us. We could rent that out and use it to come here and do a water run - might make things a lot easier for us - and give us an option to sneak up to that ship a lot more easy...."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"We've come all this way - I am not of a mind to simply go back," says Chauncey somewhat more crabbily than usual. You get the feeling somebody didn't get enough sleep last night. "Furthermore, Monocar is, perhaps against all odds, once again correct. Waiting another entire day to look for our compatriots is... well, just another entire day spent not looking for them." He turns to Alordan. "I admit I like the spirit of your boat plan, ranger, but what would the few able to fit in it do exactly, once near the ship? Boarding seems necessary to learn anything useful, yet boarding also seems like an inordinate risk. And our "sneaky guy" is..." he waves irritatedly in the general direction of the jungle that swallowed up Lightfinger.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan nods. "I agree that waiting any longer to look into the missing villagers may only bode ill. Perhaps if we carried some buckets up river with us it would look like we are just looking for cleaner water? And i was thinking what that guy up there would actually do if he sounded an alarm - sound a bell? send up a fire arrow or something? Anyway, if we continue we need to be prepared to meet a similar or larger force than ourselves. "

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Urson »

Luther

Luther shakes his head, as if coming out of a daze. Sorry- I was considering possibilities. If I were tryin' to protect the ship, I'd leave at least 5-6 men on board, which means there's at least 5 upriver, doing whatever they're up to.
There were only a couple of men on the bamboo raft when I saw it.
The fella in the crow's nest will probably have a trumpet or some such- the sound would carry better than sending up a fire arrow- unless he has some magic to talk to the men upriver.

How about this: we head back tpward Beachtown, and about a quarter mile down, those of us who are investigating split off and angle back to the river, then follow upstream?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar
Urson wrote:Luther

Luther shakes his head, as if coming out of a daze. Sorry- I was considering possibilities.

Monocar grins a little and his face softens back to normal, but there is a real kind of understanding there too, as he put a hand on Luthar's shoulder. "I know, friend. Me, too."

Urson wrote:Luther
If I were tryin' to protect the ship, I'd leave at least 5-6 men on board, which means there's at least 5 upriver, doing whatever they're up to.
There were only a couple of men on the bamboo raft when I saw it.
The fella in the crow's nest will probably have a trumpet or some such- the sound would carry better than sending up a fire arrow- unless he has some magic to talk to the men upriver.

How about this: we head back tpward Beachtown, and about a quarter mile down, those of us who are investigating split off and angle back to the river, then follow upstream?
[/dialog]
The big man smiles and nods. "I like this idea a lot! We will get to do a quick survey of those areas too to see if there is anything of note too! Maybe we can find some more of that weird breadfruit." Then he remembers Lightfinger and looks at the bushes and shakes his head sadly. The poor little guy must be stopped up from lack of sweets or whatever it is that halflings eat. Maybe we can find some laxatives or some gooserun berries for Lightfinger. I think he has a problem..." He whispers to Luthar so Quietly they likely heard him back on the mainland.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#172 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Brother Gilbert

He rolls his eyes while the discussion goes on. This is like herding cats.

I like the idea of carrying the water back towards the village. Then we can go find your friends.

-sigh-
SpinwardMarch

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#173 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala the Grey

"No matter which path we choose, we are helping someone," says the mage. "I, myself, carried this yoke all the way here from town to bring back water. I will not slough off my work on someone else because we suddenly changed our collective minds. And one more thing... this other group, I'm sorry, I don't know any of them, has been gone for several days, right? So we are no doubt looking at several days catching up to them. It's not like we can avoid a night in the bush by leaving right away. There is time to take the water back and then head out."

Finally, Avaala adds, "Either we are part of the community of Beachtown or we are not. If we are, then this is one of the less glamorous jobs that we still have to do."

Not really feeling like arguing the point, Avaala picks up his yoke and falls in line with Marge's team. "C'mon, Rollo."
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen turns and walks off back with Marge, hefting his flail and shield in case of danger as they go.

To any that return with the pail carriers, he will say I like the idea of hiring a vessel to get us to the ship under nightfall. I have a spell that could make the boat silent so they would not hear us as we got closer. Who knows, if it is a pirate ship we could commandeer it and use it as our base of operations instead of sleeping in hammocks on land. Just a thought. Questioning those aboard might also give us some insight into what this Captain is up to, and where abouts! More intelligence on the enemy could make it less risky than running in blind.” the half-orc says as he walks guard position.
Last edited by Storm11 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greys Campaign.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"All right, fine - we'll come back. This time avoiding being spied by the ship if we can. I'll remind you, however, we did not set out to carry water, but to investigate the ship, find the village and rescue our friends."Chauncey looks vaguely irritated but follows along. After a few steps he says, "Wait.... should we not first collect Lightfinger? I believe he's still, you know... conducting his business."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger stomps from the brush.

A fellow can't even conduct an experiment out here, The dimpled Hobbit grumbles, It could be that a few of us could have staid right there, He nods slightly to his hiding spot, And observe the ship and the activities of her crew, should any return, for intelligence on numbers, intentions, cargo, etc, except for the fact that my disappearance was announced, loudly and repeatedly, by the only people who noticed. His eyes travel to the vessel's crows' nest. He had nothing to say about it. Nor would he, had his crew returned. They may have had other things to talk about. I suppose we'll never know.

So, what's the plan?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#177 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Seeking Out The Village People
Godsday, 2nd of Goodmonth
Late Morning, Hot, Humid, Buggy

Monocar badly wants to go and look for the others. He seems to be missing the elf Bonnie a great deal lately. Alordan mentions that he knows where to rent a small rowboat if the group decides to attempt boarding the large vessel. Chauncey argues the point again, not willing to risk any unnecessary danger delving into the unknown.

Marge stands there tapping her foot in the hot sand impatiently.

Alordan then suggests their splinter group simply take the pails up the trail as if they were looking for cleaner water. Marge scowls at that suggestion, not wanting to see any more of her yokes go missing. Luther suggests heading back to a point on the beach where the lookout wont be able to see them, then head back towards the river through the untamed jungle. Monocar agrees excitedly, but then starts to worry about Lightfinger's unpleasant situation back in the shrubs.

Marge throws her hands up again and starts towards the front of her train, tired of all the indecision. Brother Gilbert and Saracen follow the plump woman, willing to finish the job they have already started. Avaala agrees with this logic as well. Soon he and his dog resume their place in the line following behind the others. Saracen again tries to push the idea of taking Alordans boat and trying to board the ship under the cover of darkness. Eventually Chauncey caves to the logic of his friends who are content to go all the way back to town. Though he feels a bit silly about it now since he didn't bother to collect any water himself. Lightfinger eventually steps out from his hiding spot sweaty and frustrated. He too follows the others up the beach as the entire group departs with several buckets of potable water.

After about another hour of walking back up the beach, the treeline bends enough with the natural curvature of the beach so that the group can no longer see the ship. Marge turns around to address the entire group.

"If you reckless boys want to leave us to our own hard work, then just go! Me and the girls can come back this far to retrieve whatever pails you all leave behind. We do have better things to do of course, but I wont risk leaving this water and our good pails behind."

The wandering monster dice have already been thrown. :D If you want to go all the way back to town now, it will be early afternoon by the time you travel back to this point. I only stopped here to see if that was still the plan. If some of you want to trek back to the river through the jungle now, be my guest.

Actions?

Luther R3 20/20
Lightfinger T3 16/16
Monocar F2 21/21
Saracen F/C 2/3 25/25 3/4 first 1/1 second
Chauncey MU3 16/16 CL, DM, RM 2/2 first 1/1 second
Brother Gilbert C1 8/8 3/3 first
Avaala MU2 9/9 CL, DM, RM 2/2 first
Rollo 17/17
Alordan R3 18/18

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen continues on with Marge back to town, day g goodbye and good luck to any who wish to go to the river and seek out the other party.
Greys Campaign.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Groans in frustration and grabs not one, but two yokes, not really caring, and begins walking at double time with one yoke on either shoulder, trudging up the sand back for town hoping to make quicker time and get moving. To Luthar as they walk and he pants, his injury from near drowning days ago still plaguing him. "Dammit, dammit, dammit... When we get back, lets try to make a line through the areas where the Phanatons are, we can assume those areas are at least somewhat safe. If we keep in the treeline, moving in a straight line, we should still come to the river, right? But the spyguy in the ship won't see us. Maybe we can hump it fast and not lose the entire day and scout the woods while we are at it."

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#180 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Brother Gilbert

He will also go back to the village to finish his job. He wishes the best for the people there.
SpinwardMarch

Return to “Completed Missions”