Quest #6.5 "Escaping Camp Water Fall"

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #6.5 "Escaping Camp Water Fall"

#101 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"I've had an idea. I can try and use my entangling magic on it's vines and branches. But it might not work. And if the magic does work, it may well piss the tree off, so it may not want to talk." Wes turns to Krystal and Ferris. "I can try before you go close, to protect you, or after, if we need to pull you out. Again, your call".

"If it works either way", he says to Bonnie, "someone can run in and try to pull that sword out".

"As for walking back to town, I have no qualms about that. But I can imagine that it might worry the rest of you."
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#102 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Tree Thing
Sunday, 28th of Reaping
Late Afternoon, Hot, Humid

Bonnie talks to herself some more before making a few valid points about the current situation the group is in, all the while trying to get the weird trees attention. Krystal squints at the trees backside as it slowly turns towards her friend. After staring at the blade for a bit, she speaks.

"That is no sword blade poking out, unless the sword is giant sized. It looks too big and wide to be a sword, more like the blade of a wolf spear or an ax or halberd of some kind. And only the blade is showing. I don't see any handle. Gods be damned! Did that thing swallow someone who was using an ax and it's just now crapping it out?" The female elf shudders at the thought before continuing.

"Well, the blade is still bright and shiny anyway, and I think most of us know what that means, eh Ferris? It must be something special, but I don't think you will be able to simply tug it out of there. Especially with your bare hands." She looks down on the muscular, chain snapping dwarf but doesn't say anything to him.

Keilif takes a few steps away from the group as he watches the tree's movements. "I think there is some merit in Bonnies idea. If we all spread out around it, surely it cant strike out at all of us at once. I would really like to see if we can get that poor man's body released so we can give him a proper burial."

Krystal looks down at Ferris who is still mindlessly staring at her butt. "Well, what do you say shorty? Should we take a chance that it is full enough that it wont try to eat us and crap us out of its knothole?"

"I am willing to give speaking to it a try as long as the rest of you yank us away if something bad happens. There are surely enough vines hanging around to fabricate a makeshift safety line. I will give it a try if the rest of you agree."

Actions?

Waesfaren Rhey D2 14/16 2/4 first 3/3 second
Ferris 7/7 DM, RM, 1/1 first
Krystal 5/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Keilif C2 15/15 4/4 first
Bonnie T2 9/9
Brufrig Granitesunder F2 13/15
Franny Monkeyslammer 12/12

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#103 Post by Hotgoblin »

Franny downs a few bananas while watching the rest of the group plan their attack. She stashes her fruit snacks and swings from the branches until she reaches the top of the Tree Thing. She scratches her butt on its bark.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie
Near Camp Waterfall, flirting with the trees

"Excellent!" Bonnie expresses her delight in the plan. She starts looking around for vines and such to make a lifeline. "I'll keep talking to it, trying to calm it down. I think."

"So. Come here often?" She tries a subtle approach. "What do you do for fun around here?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Urson »

Aldo
Show 'im yer clevage, Bonnie. People- eatin' tree monsters love clevages..
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#106 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

I've got rope. If you want to try this, I can try pulling ya back if things go bad. If nothing goes wrong, I can try to pull that blade out.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

The druid stands by, ready to cast his magic if things start to go wrong.

He calls out to Ferris "If you have any oil, keep it handy. If things go wrong you might be close enough to get it on the trunk. Maybe we can threaten to burn it and make it let you go".

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#108 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Tree Thing
Sunday, 28th of Reaping

Ferris readies a flask of oil and keeps it in his hand as Brufrig's rope is tied around the waists of he and Krystal. Bonnie continues with her small talk, even though she doesn't understand the trees deep, garbled replies. She, Keilif, Brufrig, and Wes spread out in a large circle around the slow moving leafy monster.

Frannymonkey downs a few bananas before swinging over a few trees and landing right up in the things high branches. She scratches her furry ass on it, though it doesn't seem to even notice that she is there. She discovers other normal signs of everyday tree life up there, a few bird nests, and a squirrel hole, so she doesn't get too worried about it strangling her as she climbs through its many limbs.

Brufrig grasps the rope tightly as Krystal begins her incantation. The pair of chained friends slowly walk towards the massive tree, hoping they don't become the next decorations in its branches. The tree starts to turn from Bonnie towards Krystal as she gets close enough to reach out and touch its gnarly bark. A few of its vine-like branches start to descend and swing low towards the duo once Krystal makes contact.

Ferris stands there dumbfounded as the she elf stares back at it blankly while it grumbles out more incoherent blabber. The gnome notices her eyes grow wide after a few words, causing him to wonder what the thing could be saying to cause such a reaction from the normally unflappable female. One vine lowers itself upon the gnome, trying to rope him around his neck. He bats it away like a cat with some yarn as Krystal continues listening to it.

Evading one more of the pesky vines, Ferris sees the elf hold her arm out to the thing, exposing the back of her hand and part of her forearm. The vine he batted away quickly flicks over towards Krystal and slashes across her outstretched arm, causing a thin red line of blood to appear in the narrow wound. 1 dam She is initially startled somewhat by the trees action, but doesn't seem to be all that upset about it. She turns to the gnome and speaks in common loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Ok, that actually stung a little. Apparently, it would like a little taste of each of us. Once it has tasted what we are made of, a better trust can be formed between it and us. It promised not to hurt us......any worse than that......if we just comply."

Actions?

Ferris 7/7 DM, RM, 1/1 first
Krystal 4/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first (Comp. Lang.: 4)
Bonnie T2 9/9
Franny Monkeyslammer 12/12

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"Come into my parlor, said the spider to the fly" grunts Wes sardonically."Let's be bloody careful here. I've heard these things have some way of lulling folks in, believing them to be harmless. If we go along with it's...suggestion...we should go up to it one at a time, not all at once. And Brufrig and I should probably be the last ones, since we have the best chance of rescuing anyone who's trapped".

He looks at the tree suspiciously again. "I don't like this at all. It's like dangling your lovespuds in the lion's mouth".

Hotgoblin

#110 Post by Hotgoblin »

Frannymonkey swings among the vines hanging like dreadlocks within tree. She stops at the end of one of the branches as she watches Kelif coming closest to her. The little monkey jumps off and lands on his shoulder, her tiny monkey hands cover his eyes and she whispers something into his ear. Shortly after, you see the monkey’s prone body fall to the ground.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Urson »

Aldo
Don' do dat! Dat's the stoopidest thing I heard since my cousin Joey decided ta fly offa da roof!
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Scott308

#112 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

If we do this, it's one at a time so we can try to pull them out if we need to. Let the tree know if it does anything to harm us beyond the taste, we will burn it. I'll burn down the whole forest- sorry,
Wes- if I have to in order to protect our people and get out of here safe.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie
Being one with the tree

"Don't worry Aldo. It's just a blood bond. Those always turn out ok. I mean, except for Tamara, but she had it coming."

"Do you mean all of us? Or just you two? I want to trust the tree, I really do, but I'll let Ferris go first."

"Hey. Is FrannyMonkey ok?"

Bonnie waits until Ferris is tasted, and if things don't go south, will get within range and offer an arm to the tree.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#114 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Tree Thing
Sunday, 28th of Reaping

Wes and Brufrig begrudgingly agree to the trees odd request, but only if they each go in one at a time and there is a chance for rescue if things turn sour. The dwarf, never really understanding magic all that well, tells Krystal to warn it that they will burn it and the rest of the forest to the ground if there is any foul play. Probably not the smartest thing to say to a sentient tree, but luckily for him, the spell only works one way, so she ignores the command.

Bonnie continues speaking out loud to her dead cat Aldo, only amplifying the creepiness of the current situation. She asks Krystal if the tree meant everyone, or just the 2 of them.

Krystal turns to her and says in a dull, flat voice. "It wants a taste of all of us!"

Ferris takes a deep breath and closes his eyes. Holding his arm out next, the tree does the same thing to him, leaving a small bloody welt on the gnomes tiny arm. 1 dam "Ouch! You sonova! Oh, I guess that wasn't so bad. I've had worse!"

The monkey formally known as Franny slips down from the high branches and lands on Keilif's shoulder. She playfully covers his eyes with her furry little hands as she whispers something into his ear. After a few seconds, the monkey falls to the ground with a thud and doesn't move again.

Bonnie notices this action and asks out loud if the monkey is ok as she readies herself to be "tasted" next.

Keilif just stands there unmoving for a second. His face blanches slightly, but it is almost impossible to tell with his wrinkled, pale, white skin.

Krystal translates more of the trees grumbling, failing to notice the interaction with the monkey.

"It doesn't seem like the joking type to me. I don't think that it is lying at all. Maybe we should just do this and get it over with? What information were we supposed to try to get out of it again?" She asks her elf kin.

Actions?

Ferris 6/7 DM, RM, 1/1 first
Krystal 4/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first (Comp. Lang.: 3)
Bonnie T2 9/9

Scott308

#115 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

Ah, Wes, you wanna check on Keilif and Franny? Something doesn't seem right. Keilif- you OK over there? Krystal, Ferris, how are you two doing? Any thing feel weird or different?

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"Don't worry Brufrig. I'm about a moment away from lighting this thing up myself." the druid says. "I don't have a problem with killing something that wants to eat me".

Wes sees Franny fall to the ground, and her strange interaction with Keilif. "You're right Brufrig, something is very wrong here.
Don't go near that bloody thing."
He runs over to check on Franny, keeping an eye on Keilif as he does so. Wes makes sure not to turn his back on the tree.

Hotgoblin

#117 Post by Hotgoblin »

Kelif walks toward the tree with his arm extended, waiting his turn.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie
Giving blood

She responds to Krystal "I think we just need to ask what it knows about this island. How long it has existed, if anything is hidden nearby, who the tree has interacted with? That kind of thing."

Bonnie notices Keilif walking to the tree. "Hey! What's going on with you and FrannyMonkey? Are you ok?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#119 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Tree Thing
Sunday, 28th of Reaping

Bonnie walks up to the tree, volunteering to be the next one to hold her arm out to its whipping vine-like tendrils. She is rewarded with a painful cut on the back of her arm, just above her gloved hand. It stings for a few seconds, 1 dam so she grits her teeth and reminds Krystal what they are doing out here. She then asks the sea priest if he is feeling all right after what just happened with the monkey. He does not answer her.

Instead, Keilif shakes his head violently, as if he is clearing out some dusty cobwebs. He walks up to the tree with a blank face, being the next member to bare his wrist to its demands. The vine writhes and coils around his arm like a demented brown snake.

Krystal and Ferris back away from the reach of the trees branches. They are starting to get the hang of walking while chained a little now that there are only 2 of them still bound together. Krystal continues listening to its grumbling noises. She nods her head periodically and seems to be trying some form of old elvish sign language as she attempts communication.

Brufrig and Wes wait their turns at the tree as they notice the strange interaction with the monkey, causing the druid to investigate. When he gets to the downed creature, he deduces that it is, in fact, quite dead. Flipping FrannyMonkey over with his foot, he sees that the animals eye sockets are now black and empty, completely void of any life.

Keilif slowly steps back from the tree next, never taking his eyes off of it as he does so. That leaves Wes and Brufrig as the only ones who haven't offered up a taste of themselves to the ancient arboreal being.

Actions?

Ferris 6/7 DM, RM, 1/1 first
Krystal 4/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first (Comp. Lang.: 2)
Bonnie T2 8/9

Hotgoblin

#120 Post by Hotgoblin »

Kelif asks ...Is anyone feeling any ill effects from the tree? He assumes some form of allergic reaction could occur.

Return to “Completed Missions”