It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:28 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13575
Location: Packerland
Day 2, On The River Trail
Never Split The Party
Godsday, 23rd of Reaping
Early Evening, Hot, Humid, Buggy


Franny slips off into the jungle at the side of the trail as soon as she hears the strange noise. Krystal creeps up ahead slowly, listening intently at the pounding. She sees only more trail when she moves forward, while the smacking noises seem to be coming from even further ahead.

Ferris keeps one eye on Keilif and the other on Krystal’s backside. Seeing the scout move up beyond the next bend, he sneaks over to the right side of the trail to have another look at the river. It too bends ahead, blocking his view of anything other than more foliage. He doesn't spot any more of the bamboo skiffs, but does notice that the river is flowing even faster here and there is a loud crashing of water coming from up ahead, possibly indicating rapids or a waterfall of some kind close by.

Aldo purrs at Bonnie again before sprinting off after Krystal and the mysterious pounding noises. (see private thread)

Bonnie keeps right on talking to the strange cat as if it can understand her, which might seem completely normal if she were only a few thousand years older. She draws out her bow and slowly creeps up the trail with Brufrig and Keilif, who are also trying to move along with her as silently as possible.

After a few more bends in the trail, Krystal starts to see another clearing developing in front of her. With the sun now setting and darkness about to creep in, it is hard to make anything out in much detail, but she is certain that there is another large clearing just up ahead. Her assumption becomes even more obvious once she hears the pounding noise cease and the telltale signs of voices on the air coming from far off in the distance.

Actions?

Ferris 6/7 DM, RM, 0/1 first
Krystal 4/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Keilif C2 7/15 2/4 first
Bonnie 6/6
Brufrig Granitesunder 11/15
Aldo 2/8

alone in the jungle:
Franny Buurlslammer 9/12 (see private thread)

still in the clearing:
Waesfaren Rhey 10/10 2/4 first
(still in private thread)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:48 am 
Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:30 am
Posts: 173
Ferris

The gnome will sneak a bit forward to the river bend then turn back to the trail and the elf's rear.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:47 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 11:42 am
Posts: 2154
Krystal

The pounding ceases because the shift is at an end. The men working in daylight to dam the river? Krystal thinks.

She will listen to the voices, distinguishing between the common languages. She tries to approach the edge of the next clearing, still tucked into the leafy shadows behind fallen logs and thick trunks.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:36 am 
Offline
Ranger
Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:26 am
Posts: 680
Bonnie

When she hears the pounding stop, Bonnie halts and listens intently for a moment. "Sounds like voices. People." She starts moving again, looking out for scouts or perimeter guards. "What's our thought? The loggers moved here and enlisted the natives?" She addresses Keilif "Let's keep this amicable. No complaints or arguments until we assess."

Bonnie starts moving a bit quicker, trying to reach the voices.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:50 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13575
Location: Packerland
Sorry about the MEGA post, but there is a lot of stuff to detail here.

Day 2, On The River Trail
The End Of The Line
Godsday, 23rd of Reaping
Early Evening, Hot, Humid, Buggy


Ferris keeps himself near the river as he moves forward. The roar of the rushing water is nearly deafening as he gets closer to the clearing. He pops out near the edge of the river bank to see something truly amazing.

Krystal tries to keep to the shadows of the foliage, thinking that there must be a bunch of dam workers nearby that have just gone through a shift change. She peeks out of the edge of the jungle and sees something truly amazing.

Bonnie turns to Keilif and Brufrig behind her, petitioning the opinionated priest, telling him to use tact here and not fly out of control. She lets her curiosity get the best of her when she walks right past Krystal into the clearing, glad to hear voices in a language she can understand. At the very end of the trail she has been following for the last two full days, she sees something truly amazing.

The well-used path following the river this whole way has finally reached its end at a massive opening in the jungle that stretches as far as your eyes can see. The river meets its end here as well, in the form of a huge waterfall that must rise at least 100 feet into the sky. The entire eastern side of this clearing ends abruptly at a massive black rock cliff face that the roaring waterfall pours over, depositing immeasurable amounts of water into a tumultuous lagoon that forms the mouth of the Dutty river. The waterfall is about 40 feet wide at its base, spewing heavy sprays of cold water in every direction. The mist it creates in the air actually cools off the area around the base of the waterfall a few degrees as it sprays about. The rocky outcroppings and uneven ground in that area form a huge pool that churns and roars with the sounds of the crashing flow of water.

There are several wooden buildings in the clearing and you see a few more of the long skiffs pulled up onto the shore of the riverbank. You count at least 5 of them in the waning sunlight, complete with pulling ropes and long push poles piled up nearby. Next to the row of beached skiffs are 3 more of the long thatch drying barns with the open ends, just like the ones you found in the last clearing. There are a few more of the smaller huts built close to the edge of the pool as well, most of them are tucked away towards the huge cliff wall that runs to the northwest and eventually disappears into the jungle foliage.

Looking further into the clearing, you see that the land has been stripped of the thick jungle for as far as your eyes can see. There are several plots of crops that are planted in neat clearings that rise up in elevation and stretch out amongst the rolling hills of this fertile looking farmland. The hills continue on for what seems like miles, offering you a wondrous view of the raised, cleared, and manicured land that is still being bathed in the orange glow of the last few waning rays of natural sunlight. Small huts dot the landscape of the fields, the noise from the pounding of wood seems to have been coming from far off in that distance.

You can see several dark-skinned men moving around off in the distant fields, along with a few more of the giant, yellow skinned brutes that you already encountered. There are sounds of several voices coming from the many different huts and shelters in the immediate area around the waterfall. Aldo is there too, a few yards ahead of you in the clearing. There are 2 young men (X) walking towards the cat, but they don’t seem to be acting hostile towards him at all. One of the white skinned humans walking towards him is holding a shiny machete while the other has a sword on his belt.

There is a commotion coming from the long building just past the drying barns. It sounds like there might be a party going on in there or something. The pair of men moving towards Aldo spot the group as they walk into the clearing. They smile at you and wave for you all to come on in to join them.

Actions!

overhead map:
Attachment:
IMG_1400.JPG
IMG_1400.JPG [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 106 times ]


positions:
Attachment:
IMG_1401.JPG
IMG_1401.JPG [ 558.96 KiB | Viewed 106 times ]


Ferris 6/7 DM, RM, 0/1 first
Krystal 4/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Keilif C2 7/15 2/4 first
Bonnie 6/6
Brufrig Granitesunder 11/15
Aldo 2/8

alone in the jungle:
Franny Buurlslammer 9/12 (private thread)

still in the clearing:
Waesfaren Rhey 10/10 2/4 first
(private thread)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:31 am 
Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:30 am
Posts: 173
Ferris

was thinking of sneaking up the riverbank to get behind these fella's, bet the black skinned fellows are press ganged in the fields by the ogres. But having been seen he decides to take some initiative. (not the dice rolling kind though!).

"Hey Boyz!", he waves in a friendly manner to the two armed guards, "I'm big Fez, these are my trading buddies. Gronk sends his greetings, he said you lot were up here and he has the 'picnic stuff ready' when Capt' Bing passes by. Fancy a smoke buddy?". The gnome approaches waving his tobacco pipe and a few sprinkled herb leaves. he lights it offering it out to the man nearest the river.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:18 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:23 am
Posts: 1295
Aldo
Playing the typical skittish cat, Aldo bounds away from the two men, heading for the nearest drying shed. His tail is still up, indicating he's not scared.

Yo Bonnie! Ya hear me? I dunno what else dey got goin' on here, but dey's definitely got a buncha that South Evony Gold growin' here. I tink somebody been sellin' pipeweed onna black market. Keep on yer toes- dey may not like de idea of cuttin' us in.

_________________
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:11 pm 
Offline
Ranger
Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:26 am
Posts: 680
Bonnie

Equal parts shocked and impressed by the sights, Bonnie reacts slowly. She then starts running after Aldo, calling out to him "There you are my precious! What's that you say? Oh, I agree completely!" She follows him into the drying barn, if that's where he's going.

"Sorry guys! My cat seems to be free-spirited!"

Her bow is still out, but not ready as she runs after Aldo.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:09 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 11:42 am
Posts: 2154
Krystal

"Fine enterprise you have here. A real old Ponderosa ranch. What's the party for?" she comments, walking behind the gnome.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:08 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 2535
Location: Oregon, WI
Brufrig Granitesunder

His head on a swivel, Brufrig tries to note where everyone is located, sorting everyone into a threat hierarchy in case trouble breaks out. He'll stay near Ferris, hoping he is assumed to be a bodyguard. His crossbow ready, he leaves it aimed low in a (hopefully) nonthreatening manner.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:00 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13575
Location: Packerland
Day 2, On The River Trail
The End Of The Line
Godsday, 23rd of Reaping
Early Evening, Hot, Humid, Buggy


Keilif starts to turn back towards the trail, badly wanting to flee this place. He calms down slightly when he sees that nobody else in the party has the same idea as him, thinking that someone must have a hidden plan for how to deal with this dangerous situation. He decides it best to keep his mouth shut for now to see what the others have in store.

Aldo makes a quick dash into the first drying barn, finding it nearly filled with more of the pungent herbs hanging from the rafters. It smells the same as the stuff you found wrapped in bails at the last barns. Bonnie does what she does best, flashing tail and telling lies. She follows behind Aldo and the second guard follows her, shouting loudly over the roar of the massive waterfall with his hands cupped over his mouth for better amplification.

"HEY! YOU ARENT ALLOWED IN THERE! COME ON BACK OUT HERE SO WE CAN TALK TO YOU!"

Ferris initially thinks about hiding as well, but takes a slightly different approach instead. Packing the bowl of his pipe with his newly acquired herbs, he offers the closest guard a smoke while doing a little name dropping, fishing for information.

Krystal and Brufrig stay close to the gnome, following his lead while Keilif sluggishly brings up the rear. The dwarf sees another human a few hundred feet down the jungle line, also heading in the groups direction. The machete toting human smiles at the gnome as he replies to Krystal first, looking towards the long shack and then back to the elf.

"That's just some hard working guys having a bit of rum and a laugh after a long day out in the fields, is all."

Accepting the pipe and inspecting the contents closely, he answers Ferris.

"Oh, you talked to Gronk, eh? And he said something about the captain, did he? Say, where did you lot come from, anyway? The town? That ain't exactly close by."


Actions!

Ferris 6/7 DM, RM, 0/1 first
Krystal 4/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Keilif C2 7/15 2/4 first
Bonnie 6/6
Brufrig Granitesunder 11/15
Aldo 2/8

alone in the jungle:
Franny Buurlslammer 9/12 (private thread)

still in the clearing:
Waesfaren Rhey 6/10 2/4 first
(private thread)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:56 am 
Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:30 am
Posts: 173
'Big Fez'

"Go on sonny, take a deep drag. A relaxing way to end a hard days labour eh? Not like them aboriginals in the fields. Treat them mean keep them keen. Ain't that Captains' proverb."

Ferris engages in some banter while the guards look us over. He doesn't trust them not to take a swing at us but tries to act comfortable in the surroundings.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:43 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:23 am
Posts: 1295
Aldo

The assasin cat sneezes when he gets a good sniff of the herb drying.

If we could snag all this, we'd be rich in a week! It smells almost like South Evony Gold, but it's stronger. My boys back in Erebus could put dis onna street, sell it for all the traffic would bear, we'd be rollin' in coin! I don't know much about the setup here, but I says we got a major smuggling op goin'.
Watch yer ass, Bonnie- guys like dese, dey tend ta leave a lotta shallow graves behind.

_________________
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:14 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 11:42 am
Posts: 2154
Krystal

"Do we get to meet this Captain Bing or not. Should we do business with that other pirate Quark instead?" she asks expecting the guys to offer some hospitality to us.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:20 am 
Offline
Ranger
Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:26 am
Posts: 680
Bonnie

Bonnie bends down to pick up Aldo when she reaches him. "Naughty boy! Always running off. Stay with me while we meet our new friends."
Assuming Aldo lets her pick him up and cradle him, she does so.

She turns to meet the guard who followed her in. "WHAT?! HARD TO HEAR YOU WITH THE WATERFALL. LET'S GO OUT SO WE CAN TALK."

She, possibly with Aldo, will walk back out of the barn keeping a fair distance from the guard.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:09 pm 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:23 am
Posts: 1295
Aldo
Aldo head-butts Bonnie under the chin and purrs loudly.
Me? I'm de ideas guy- youse the one what's gotta sell him on it.

_________________
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:06 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 2535
Location: Oregon, WI
Brufrig Granitesunder

Waiting to see where Ferris goes with his act, the dwarf stands nearby in bodyguard mode.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:15 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13575
Location: Packerland
Day 2, On The River Trail
The End Of The Line
Godsday, 23rd of Reaping
Early Evening, Hot, Humid, Buggy


Realizing neither male is actually answering each other's questions, the machete man continues playing along with Ferris as the third guard arrives on the scene. No weapons are drawn or brandished aggressively. The guard takes the pipe and sucks in a fake draw, blowing out almost no smoke.

"Never heard Cap say that before."

When Krystal inquires about Bing.

"Oh ya! We can take ya to the captain! He's always looking for new folks to work with. Your Quark is nothing but a pussy. He doesn't approve of our new business endeavors here, so Cap has cut all ties with em."

Brufrig stands as tall as a dwarf can, watching Keilif shift nervously from foot to foot as his eyes dart around the clearing.

The shouting in the barn seems to be drawing some attention from the barracks as a few more men begin heading towards the meeting. They also smile and wave as they close in, apparently looking forward to seeing some new faces in camp. Bonnie spots several more men exiting their huts, they all seem quite interested in the newcomers. Machete man turns to shout at the oncoming men. "They're here to see the captain!"

The guard with Bonnie nods his head and points to his ear. He points down the row of barns, towards the fields. "CANT HEAR YOU! LETS GO OVER THERE SO WE CAN TALK WITHOUT YELLING!"

Actions!

Ferris 6/7 DM, RM, 0/1 first
Krystal 4/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Keilif C2 7/15 2/4 first
Bonnie 6/6
Brufrig Granitesunder 11/15
Aldo 2/8

alone in the jungle:
Franny Buurlslammer 9/12 (private thread)

still in the clearing:
Waesfaren Rhey 4/10 2/4 first
(private thread)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:21 am 
Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:30 am
Posts: 173
Big Fez

Not comfortable with the unwelcome welcome, too many machetes, too many long legs looking to cut him down to size, no tavern, no roasting succulent hogs. Just slaves in the ogre patch and bales of leaf...

"whoops" he says as an itchy trigger finger sets off the bolt from his pickbow as he reaches around to grab his loaded weapon. ferris crossbow [1d20+1] = 19+1 = 20 bolt damage [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5 It hits the man with the pipe. After firing, if the man falls over Ferris will grab his pipe and leg it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:05 pm 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:23 am
Posts: 1295
Aldo

The cat squirms away from Bonnie, dropping to the ground and running for the bunkhouses.

Ima lookit their place, see if I see anyting that tells us more about 'em.


He dodges any grabbing hands, slashing with a claw as needed.

_________________
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 515 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group