Hi-Lo (mercantile)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Hi-Lo (mercantile)

#161 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bluehorse wrote:Monocar

Some time the following morning after talking to Avaala, but for potentially leaving for the beetle hunt.

"Mr. Nehu! :D Just the man I need to talk to. So I have an idea for helping everyone here in town. Back home, my family ran a logging and lumber company. I spent most of my time helping my dad in the mill slicing and forming raw trees into dimensional lumber for building. Now, imagine that in the hands of someone with a little skill and knowhow. What could they do? Even someone with no skill, could request lumber all uniformly cut according to a plan, and could peice it together for say a shelter, or a chicken coop. We could give out lumber kits, precut for projects. Quality of life goes up, everyone is happier and healthier. We have plenty of trees to feed it, and now you can ship easily packed bundles of lumber to the mainland for a good price when we begin getting a surplus here. I can build and run it, all I need it the axe i have here for that. What I need from you, is to get a letter out to my dad, asking for the sawblade. So... what do you think?"
Mr. Nehru thinks about this idea for a while before responding.

"You know, with the loggers mysteriously gone missing now, that might not be such a terrible idea at all. Nay, in fact, I think it sounds like a great idea to me. I haven't seen our builder Owen in days, but with good lumber here that he doesn't have to scrape together from the woods and the beach, he could start building some sturdier shacks and common buildings for the people."

"Where is your father located? If you are sure he can send along what you need to build a mill, I am pretty sure that I can get him a message. I am pretty amazed that you say you can build a mill with nothing more than your ax, but if you think it can work, I am willing to give it a try. Like you said, there is certainly no shortage of trees around here."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar
OGRE MAGE wrote: Mr. Nehru thinks about this idea for a while before responding.

"You know, with the loggers mysteriously gone missing now, that might not be such a terrible idea at all. Nay, in fact, I think it sounds like a great idea to me. I haven't seen our builder Owen in days, but with good lumber here that he doesn't have to scrape together from the woods and the beach, he could start building some sturdier shacks and common buildings for the people."

"Where is your father located? If you are sure he can send along what you need to build a mill, I am pretty sure that I can get him a message. I am pretty amazed that you say you can build a mill with nothing more than your ax, but if you think it can work, I am willing to give it a try. Like you said, there is certainly no shortage of trees around here."
Grins mischievously. "It's called a saddle scrib. You are able to fit bucked logs together at the corners. Our mill back home was made this way. The walls go up fast, and you pack clay and grass into gaps. It's quick and stays insulated. A good sturdy structure. The rafters go up much the same, and we can start with a thatch roof. Once we are cutting timber, we can save some of the ends off the trimmed lumber and in no time we have some decking and ramshackle shingles. Now, I'll be the first to say some carpenter's will speed things along with the later part of the work, but it can be done with an axe and a knife. That's how my dad did it back in Hochoch. I've already talked it over with Avaala, and he is interested. I think his help and a little work, we can really help people out around here. I plan to either find a spot on the river so we can utilise a waterwheel to drive the blade. Nice and steady. I can train a few good sturdy villagers on how to prep and mill the wood once we're up and running and have as steady a supply of work ready lumber as we can get timber in to feed it."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#163 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Mr.Nehru

"I must say that it sounds like you have a good plan started already my large friend. And if you get Avaala involved, I have no doubt that it will work. He is a young man with good vision. Just look at this desk he crafted for me."

"Give me the details and the letter you intend to send along, and I will see to it that your father gets your message. Clearing more of the trees around here is just what we need to not only build more structures, but it will be a great way to open up more land for agriculture."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Tries to keep a straight face when clearing land is mentioned... the man mentioned Owen too, but last night when I said anything about the situation with the Monkoons and Owen, I was afraid there would be a riot. Randall was ready to burn the jungle down... what should I do?

And the world went silent and seemed to stop...
Cherub: we should be honest! There is no doubt! Mr Nerhu is a sensible man.

Imp: are you kidding me? And ruin everything. Just smile and leave. The sooner we bag thr bug, and kill the troll, the whole thing will fix itself.

Id from his cage. "YEAH! KILL!" NOM,NOM,NOM!

Cherub: A lie of omission is still a lie...

Imp: Who cares?! Lets get a move on before we miss all the fun. Give the man a letter and and get out!
Moncar waves his hand around his face as if swatting at gnats. "I care..." Looking at Mr. N., he looks down to think and then back up. "Sir, there are some things you need to be made aware of concerning Owen, clearing land, and the Treefolk, or as you mistakenly call them, the Monkoons...

Monocar slowly and calmly explains everything that happened days ago when he and Luthar made contact with them, and what progress the other group made as well. He then explains what happened with the troll and their plans that are still evolving to deal with him. He tells him about the fight with the troll that cost the elf his life, their venture with the crab and how they are planning to get some acid for their next trap. "...and now that I think of it, we need to make time to check on Burt and Ernie, too. Those vegimites about done our whole group in. So you see, sir. Thos whole island is wrot with dangers and I am afraid that they may be closing in. I honestly think our best bet, is getting friendly with the Treefolk. This is their home, and I bet they would be able to assist us as scouts and warriors from the highground. I really think we need to hold off clearing from the Forrest where they make their homes."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#165 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Mr. Nehru listens to these revelations with great interest, proclaiming lots of "hmmmmmms" and "you don't say's" as the fighter speaks. Once Monocar finishes, the man thinks long and hard on this newly understood information.

"Let me tell you a little bit about what happened when we first arrived here on this island. I didn't just come here on a whim, you know. I brought quite a bit of help along with me. Help that was vital in making the right decisions and also in securing our survival here. Unfortunately, as you might have already guessed, they didn't all survive themselves."

"We thought we were playing it smart by not trying to populate an area too close to the river and the heavy traffic of wild animals and dangerous monsters that would certainly be found there. That is why we built this place so far from a viable water source. And, it worked just fine........at first. But by the time we had several trees cut and a few buildings up, we realized that we wouldn't be alone out here no matter how far we built away from the river."

"That is when the first bit of trouble happened. We had a lot of strong minded individuals here at that time, and most of them had their own agendas and reasons for being out here in the first place. We had a crew of "leaders" that were in charge, you see, but I was the one who had to take all of the suggestions from these leaders and try to choose the correct path that would be best for the entire group. That didn't always work out at first."

"To make a long story short, yes, the monkoons were here before us, regardless of whether we knew about them or not. At first, we just tried to push them back further into the jungle, but that didn't seem to work at all. It became apparent that a lot of the monsters on this island are very territorial and don't like to move outside of their specific habitat."

"The monkoons fought back fiercely once we started infiltrating their domain, but by that time we were already set up here and we didn't have the time or extra energy to find another spot to set up town. Those of us that were here from the very beginning can remember vividly the unrelenting tactics of the crafty little tree people. They were small, but they were also many. Unfortunately, things got a little out of control when a few of my leaders started killing the monkoons by the score. After about a hundred or so of their number were killed by powerful fire magics, their guerilla tactic skirmishes stopped. They decided to retreat up into their tree tops and leave us alone after that happened. They have been a nuisance ever since that day, but at least the attacks have stopped. It is definitely not my proudest moment out here, but some of my leaders thought it necessary to kill indiscriminately, and without my consent, in order to save the budding community."

"I have had no luck in attempting communications with them since that happened. If you have a way to help smooth things over with them, I highly encourage you to do so. I have never thought of them as evil or overly dangerous to us, but I feel like the damage we caused them when we first arrived is now irreversible. I pray that you can prove me wrong about that as I too believe that a shared existence here would benefit both parties."

"Please continue trying to make nice with them and smooth over the damage that we've already caused. If killing the sea troll will aid them as well, then I too believe that is a good place to start. Perhaps afterwards, we can have a discussion with them as to where we can clear some of the jungle and what areas we need to leave alone for them. I have no doubt that a mutual and beneficial co-existence can be obtained with a little kindness and tact. "

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Listens closely, taking in the information and nodding. He thought on it all a moment, the look on his face careful and considering. Maybe he wasn't just a lumkhead after all, if slower and more deliberately thinking than most. He looks up, "I want you to know that my friends and I are fully vested in the idea of peace. We'll do whatever we can to assure it happens. I won't judge you either, based on what you've said. I think we have common ideas, so to speak. If you get a chance, you might talk to Randall. He is... well, i think he is one of those people that feels more than he thinks. They are good to have around, because they work hard and make things happen, but I'm afraid he has some hard ideas about the Treefolk. He said some things last night that chilled me to the bone, kind of like some of the parts of your story just did. Honest, not judging, just an observation. I'm afraid hot ideas and too much drink could lead to... we you're smarter than me, and you've seen it before. I'll leave that lie. But maybe you can plant some seeds in his head to hold off on anything agressive towards the monko... Treefolk. Lets try making friends first."

That being said he switches back to the letter. "yeah, about the letter, could i borrow a pen and paper? Call it a advance on ypur first rick of lumber?" he at least has the good taste to look a bit embarrassed to ask.

assuming the paper and quill are forthcoming...

Dear Daddo,

It's me! Your son, Monocar. I'm having a lot of fun on my adventure. Guess what? I am on Big Shiney Island! People need a lot of help out here. Everthing here wants to eat your face. That reminds me, Deverin died... but you don't know him. I think I might have died a couple times, too. I kust can't be sure. My nose itches. Anyway, I am on Big Shiny Island, and lots of peepul people need help. One thing I have been doing is clearing trees to help people build houses and farm more land. I remembered this is how you got started. Then I got an idea. If I built a lumbermill like you did, we could put people up in some good houses real quick. People are living in shacks made of driftwood here. It's kind of awful. Anyway, I was hoping you could send a mill blade and a set of tools so I can make a difference out here like you taught me. Even If it were one of the older ones that needed sharpening, it would be better than nothing, and I have the time to work that out myself. I sure miss you guys and think of you a lot. I can still hear your voices in my head like you and mom giving me advice and Listairn telling me to shut up and get to the point. I love you all and will say extra prayers for you every night.

Your sun son,
Mon :) car!

With that he'll hand the letter to Mr. N. For aproval with a big grin.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#167 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Mr. Nehru happily lends the Mountain a quill and some blank parchment. He continues talking as the big man writes.

"Randall was one of the first members of the community to come here. I don't really know the young man very well. I don't spend a lot of my time drinking or carousing, you see. But, I find him to be kind and resourceful when necessary, and I have never had a problem with him or with what he does here. I believe he was one of the........Treefolk did you call them? Yes, Treefolk. I like that name far better than monkoons, myself."

"Anyway, Randall was already here when the Cannon was preforming his vicious burning and killing. I don't know if Randall helped, or even took part at all, but I knew that he didn't care much for them. His treehouse was a big target for them when we first arrived. Before we had a lot of the trees cleared out, they could climb up and glide from tree to tree, ending up in the top of his. They caused him more trouble than anyone else. That might be part of his intense dislike for them. But, if they are as intelligent as you say, then I agree that we need to try to adapt with them instead of trying to run them off like we initially tried to do. I am glad to hear that you and your friends feel the same way as I do about it."

The proprietor reads through Monocars note, smiling and chuckling as he mulls it over.

"The Jemara's of Hochoch, you say? I will give this to Quark and see to it that it gets delivered to the right place. Hopefully the overland delivery doesn't take too long as I am really starting to see the validity of your idea. I will let you know as soon as I hear any response on this. Thank you again for your help out here my young friend! A lot of folks that come here couldn't care less about this community. They are just here to explore and make their fortunes. And, most of them haven't fared very well, if you get my meaning. Now, go out there and kill that damn troll if you can!"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Smiles under the praise and feels like he has found a kindred spirit out here. When he is dismissed he smiles broadly and snaps a military salute. "Yes, sir!" he about faces and rushes out, running into the doorframe before shaking it off and rushing out the door to join his friends. "The whole island will have my wood!"

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger tries to brush himself off.

The day's rough activities have taken a toll on his appearance, but he finally shrugs and enters the Hi-lo. After all, it's only Nalissa. Whew! What a day! The Hobbit announces his presence to anyone already there. Bugs! Big, hideous bugs that can melt a Man with acid from their bum. Did you catch that? Melt a Man! Luckily for my friends, my swordsmanship saved the day, yet again.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#170 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The large, dark skinned Nallisa peers down over the counter at her tiny hero as he speaks.

"That actually sounds really awful, Arti! I am so glad that you survived such a terrible ordeal."

"Now, are you buying something, or just here to schmooze?"

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger sputters, but collects himself.

"Schmooze??" The Hobbit acts aghast, but approaches the blubbery Nalissa with open hands, Dear Lady, we have something special, you and I! After all, you must admit, I've not asked of you anything I have not paid for... Yet. The handsome little devil winks and smirks just enough to show a dimple, almost as if he's practiced the expression. He then clears his throat. The fact is, regardless of the danger the bugs posed to us, they had absolutely no treasure. Quite rude of them, actually. However, we did have a brief encounter with what has been described as a "Grey Man"... It made me think of old Harold. The Grey Man was ... How shall I say it ... Entertaining some young children who had taken the initiative to collect coconuts along the shore. It's possible the fellow was intent on protecting the lads and lasses from the abundant predators about. His big brown eyes roll up toward his quarry. Harold hasn't made an appearance lately, has he? I'd certainly like to thank him for saving my life, and those of the children ... IF indeed that was him.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#172 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa nods in understanding at the words of the Halfling.

"If ol' weird Harold has been around town recently, I haven't seen him. But like I told you already, it isn't uncommon for people to go missing around these parts. Besides, Harold might have had grey hair and beard, but he wasn't completely grey. What you're describing sounds more like a......

The big woman visibly shudders with fear.

"A ghost!"

"I sure hope the children learned their lesson and don't go wandering off down the beach again. Like you said, it is pretty dangerous around here."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey scampers into the Hi-Lo just in time to hear the last of the conversation. ”What’s all this ghost talk?” he says, then immediately changes the subject. ”Lightfinger. Nalissa. If you please, I’d like to see what you have in the way of small glassware, preferably individual half-globes that can be bundled together easily and held in the hand for throwing.” He waits patiently for a list of suitable glassware stock.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#174 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa is slightly startled by the rapid actions of the usually calm wizard. She listens to his inquiry with a confused look.

"Small glassware? Individual half-globes? What is that?"

"If it is specialty items, we can get them, but not anytime soon. I hear that Quarks partner has found more lucrative endeavors and is no longer sailing to and from this island. That means that Missa Nehru will have to start charging even more money for the hard to get items that we sell."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger gives Chauncey a polite but irritated glower.

Arrogant highbrow, anyway! She was ready to spill her guts! And what guts she has. His demeanor returns to charming, and the Thief interjects with one final question. Ah, my Dear, could you impart one more small piece of knowledge? Do you know if Harold is musically inclined? Meaning, has he the talent of playing any musical instruments ... Say, like a flute?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#176 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa thinks about it for a moment and replies.

"No. Not at all that I know of."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger rises his eyebrows in concession.

Ah. I see. Arte tries not to show any disappointment. I will return, you can bet on it. He winks yet again and saunters back out the door.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#178 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa kisses the air as the handsome little shireling takes his leave.

"You do that, cutie!"

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Hmmm..." Chauncey frowns. He watches Lightfinger exit the shop, completely unaware he has rankled the fancy halfling. "Well, I suppose there's nothing for it, madame. Perhaps someone else in the party has found some sort of serviceable solution to this conundrum and will surprise me with it. I bid you good day." He turns and exits to seek out Luthor.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#180 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nalissa just smiles as Chauncey makes his way back outside.

She likes it when someone asks here something that she doesn't know anything about. Especially when they just drop the subject without pressing the issue any further.

She begins to close up her shop for the evening.

Return to “Completed Missions”