1. Specularum

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 1. Specularum

#101 Post by spanningtree »

Soldath - Mage

Soldath toasts poor Anja also. He will keep a sharper eye on the crowds around himself
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#102 Post by connivingsumo »

Hildebad: Bearded Dwarf Lady

"I'm not one ta'go lookin fer a fight, an I don pass no judgment either, but this..." the horror of the head is burned in her eyes, she stares - blankly - at the woman's lifeless face... "...this, this I have a judgment fer. She- no one- sep'tha one that did this, deserves this."

Hildebad is lost in an elevated state of rage. The bitching, the griping, the nagging is mostly all in good fun. This silent anger, this is the one that's unpredictable, this is the one that's explosive. She takes the nearest ale, lowers herself to the table's bench, and slowly drinks it.

She sits at the table so she can look Anja in the face while she sips someone's ale.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#103 Post by tumblingdice »

You drown your sorrows, fears and rage in booze for what feels like a long, long, long time. Not everyone has first-hand experience with the Iron Ring, but you all wonder, to yourselves and aloud, what interest they have in the Isle of Dread, and how your paths may cross again.

The crowd especially subdued after the spectacle with poor Anja's head, and Luther gives you a wider berth than usual.

Blercer: the odds of picking someone's pocket without drawing attention to yourself at this point are about the same as the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field...

After getting good and drunk, you turn in for the night. Since hangovers aren't much fun, let's skip to the good part...

Day 3, Gangplank of The Brazen Strumpet, Specularum docks, early morning

A beautiful, sunny, spring morning greets your foggy senses as you make your way through the streets of the capital toward the docks once again. Reaching the harbor, you see The Brazen Strumpet in all her glory. Captain Alonso de Bartuella gives orders as his crew make last minute preparations: loading a few more barrels, swabbing the deck, painting a few railings. "Gentlemen, ladies. Welcome aboard the happy harlot. Pay up, and we'll be on our way. Our first stop will be in the Minrothad Guilds (see map in Background information). That'll be our last stop for fresh water for a good long time, so hold it as long as possible. Got it?" He laughs to himself, regardless of your reaction. Nodding toward a gentler soul to his left: "Buckstar here's my first mate. He'll show you to your quarters. Any questions afore we shove off?"

Actions? Any questions before we shove off? Sorry for the delay.
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.
"Oh, well, that could be helpful!"
--my five-year old daughter

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#104 Post by greyarea »

Tret winces, Yeah, one question: Can you stop yelling?

Me poor 'ead.

No actually, another question for you. What are the Minotaur Guilds? And why are we stopping there? I thought we were going directly to this Isle on the map.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#105 Post by tumblingdice »

"You haven't been too far from home lad, have you?" Alosono asks, partially amused by Tret's line of questions. "Don't sweat it, lad. They're on the way. We'll be there a few hours, possibly an overnight, tops. Just gotta refill our water. Traders and sailors without equal, those Minrothaders. Closely allied with the Empire of Thyatis, and that's saying something. No minotaurs on the islands, from what I've seen. Gotta watch yourself, though. The merchant princes there hold all the power. Don't step out of line."

Any other questions.
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#106 Post by badams30 »

Gristle - Super Dwarf of Legend

Gristle walks carefully on board and glances at Hildebad and says at a whisper "You know I don't like water, right? Oh, I wish Sod was here..." He shakes his head in resignation then he reaches into his pouch and retrieves his 400GP emerald and hands it to the captain with a nod and a wink. "Hey Cap'n... you got any libation on here? I'm a bit thirsty already..."

Gristle raises an eyebrow and says loudly "HANEQUIN! Did you hear that?" After a brief pause, Gristle leans to the left and produces a large burst of flatulence, and then he starts to laugh uncontrollably and then proceeds to pace the deck, acquainting himself with the vessel and any crew friendly enough to talk.

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#107 Post by Craigers07 »

Blercer - Thief

"I'll make sure to steer clear of the uppity merchants over there Captain."

Blercer hands over 100 GP.

"I hope the drinks are free on this voyage."

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#108 Post by tumblingdice »

Of course! The spirits flow freely here. You think any of use would be here if they didn't?

A passing sailor punctuates this rhetorical question with a rummy belch.

And it goes without saying, of course, that the finest wine is served at my table. Where, as my honored guests, you'll have the rare pleasure of joining me.

With that, the captain adjusts his trousers, then winks at Hildebad.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#109 Post by greyarea »

Tret murmurs something about when the buffets open on this cruise ship, but it could have just been aching over his head. He pays the man and boards, wishing the ship would stay still but grateful that at least there's a reason the floor seems to move from under him.

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#110 Post by connivingsumo »

badams30 wrote:Gristle - Super Dwarf of Legend
Gristle walks carefully on board and glances at Hildebad and says at a whisper "You know I don't like water, right? Oh, I wish Sod was here..."
"Yeah, I know. Just get yer booz and a bucket - for the boat-roockin, not the booz - and drink yerself asleep. We'll be at the waterin-hole b'fore you know it." she says patting her brother on the back.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#111 Post by badams30 »

Gristle - Dwarf

Gristle pats his sister on the back "Be careful, eh? I've just got a feelin' about this. Ain't nothin' can kill us Stonefists, but I'm a bit worried. And we'll keep ol' Hanny in good health, eh?"

Gristle will take a seat somewhere on deck, staring landward and watching as the coast disappears once the boat casts off.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#112 Post by spanningtree »

Soldath - Mage

Soldath pays his keep and boards. Massaging his temples from the night before he will look to quench his hang over with hair of the dog.

OCC: How much gold should he deduct?
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#113 Post by connivingsumo »

spanningtree wrote: OCC: How much gold should he deduct?
OOC: I thought it was 500, so Gristle's gem + the 100gp from Blercer would've covered it; on the other hand, I could be wrong - as in - I'm not sure about Tret's payment.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#114 Post by Bloodaxe »

Syrus Once-dark

Syrus hands the small bag of gems to the group. (200 gp value)

I grow weary of this place, let us be off.

Rattler45
Runner
Runner

#115 Post by Rattler45 »

Hanequin laughs at all of the head spinning hung over people in his group and boards the ship. Waiting to hear the answer to the question of what has been covered for the trip and how much still needs to be paid, happy to contribute his fair share.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#116 Post by tumblingdice »

Alonso beams as he eyes the coins and gems in his hands. "Aye, it appears Master Blercer and his brave friend of short stature have the fee covered. Why don't you all settle up with him later. Let's be off!"

The captain gives a few orders, and before you know it, you're finally on your way.

OC: The DM hand waves the stop in Minrothad, and before you know it, you're out on the open sea. More tonight.

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#117 Post by connivingsumo »

tumblingdice wrote:OC: The DM hand waves the stop in Minrothad, and before you know it, you're out on the open sea. More tonight.

Hildebad finds herself above deck more than below, even when chilly or during rougher waters. She feels drawn to the mysteries below the sea, but also terrified of what denizens may live in such an inhospitable darkness below the surface. Aside from checking on her sea-sick brother, and checking in with the rest of her party, she enjoys looking off the bow and stern, wondering what adventures are ahead, and the mystery of the island that is their destination.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#118 Post by greyarea »

The tossing waves made that hangover seem much longer than usual, but Tret is on deck more often than not now and his lunch is staying where it ought.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#119 Post by tumblingdice »

The adventure continues in part 2. The Sea of Dread.

Return to “The Isle of Dread (Labyrinth Lord)”