1. Specularum

Rattler45
Runner
Runner

Re: 1. Specularum

#41 Post by Rattler45 »

Hanequin is observing the activity of the group, attempting to discern what kind of people they are and how they conduct themselves. He is also observing the ships hoping to see anything that, to his untrained eye, would be a glaring benefit or detriment regarding any of the ships and their crews.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by tumblingdice »

All three ships seem to be in good repair. The crew members exchange glances and sneer at Hilde's proposition.

In response to Blercer's query, a portly man hobbles up to you from a nearby booth. He appears to be in his late forties. "Captain de Bartuella," he growls, "at your servce." He punctuates his last remark with a belch. "Now," he demands, advancing in your direction, "what in the nine hells do you want? Pleasure cruise?" he asks, laughing at his own joke. At close range, you can see his face is flushed red from drink. You don't smell alcohol on his breath, but you do smell something.

Actions?
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.
"Oh, well, that could be helpful!"
--my five-year old daughter

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by greyarea »

Tret furrows his brow. He nudges Soldath, Maybe we shouldn't take Blercer's recommendation after all.

He's fine with any boat, so long as he get to that island.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by spanningtree »

Soldath - Mage

Whispering to Tret: Not sure about this stewed skipper, one thing to have issues on land, quite another at sea.... something tells me he has a standing cargo of whatever he is ingesting on every voyage.

When Soldath gets a change to ask a question to the captain: Captain de Bartuella, do you have references?
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#45 Post by connivingsumo »

Hildebad ~ Dwarf

Hildebad, somewhat hurt - but also relieved - returns to the group, "Well... ain none of'em seem starved, so that's a good sign!"

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#46 Post by badams30 »

Gristle - Dwarf

Gristle sees Capt. de Bartuella's condition and he starts to chuckle merrily, nodding his head in stupid approval... He mutters "This fella looks like he runs a happy ship, IFYOUKNOWWHATIMEAN, eh? EH? Heh heh..."

OOC: As usual, Gristle doesn't have much constructive to contribute, although his curiosity is piqued and he really wants to know what spirits this guy is hitting, hoping to obtain some for himself.

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#47 Post by Craigers07 »

Blercer - Thief

Blercer laughs at the sight of the Captain.

"It's good to see you again Captain! You look like you are doing well."

"We're looking to explore an island to the south of here and need to secure a ship. Take a look at our map and see for yourself."

Blercer holds his breath and points out the island to him on the map.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#48 Post by tumblingdice »

"References?" the captain asks with a curse. "References!? I've got references in every port. Just ask the ladies." He punctuates this last comment with a bit of well placed flatuence.

Turning to Blercer, he nods in mock obsequience. "These fellows owe you money?" he asks upon rising. "More likely you owe them, knowing you. But who gives a [expletive]. Let's take a look at that map."

Alonso squints as he takes in the faint outlines of the island, then his eyes go wide. He looks to either side, to make sure none of the crew can hear him. "The Isle of Dread," he confirms in a low voice. "Cannibals. Monsters. No existing trade routes. You'd have to be a damned fool to go there." Then, flashing a gold-toothed grin, he asks, "How much you got?"

Actions?
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by spanningtree »

Soldath - Mage

Rolling his eyes. Whores will say what you pay them to say. How does 100 gold coins work?

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#50 Post by badams30 »

Gristle - Dwarf

Gristle laughs at the Captain's mention of women... and his impressive display of flatulence. He butts in and says "From one ladies man to another, I'll be happy to chip in 100 coins of my own to sail on yer fine vessel, Cap'n. Say... you got any hooch on here? I'd hate to embark on a dry vessel, you know what I mean?" Gristle raises a bushy eyebrow and says "whaddaya say, Cap?" He pauses, winces, and tries his best to release a comparable burst of flatulence to punctuate his offer, glancing over at Hildebad as he does, laughing merrily.

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#51 Post by connivingsumo »

Hildebad: Bearded Lady Dwarf

Hilde rolls her eyes and says, "It's like he's 60 years old again and not grown up at all." while muffling a chuckle.

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#52 Post by Craigers07 »

Blercer - Thief

"I'll have to check and see if I have any coin on me. Most of my money is in the bank."

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by connivingsumo »

Hildebad: Bearded Lady Dwarf
Her pudgy hand moves unconsciously toward her coin purse. She leans in toward Blercer and whispers, "I'ner bought a boat be fer. How many coins we need?"

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#54 Post by tumblingdice »

Alonso looks over you ragtag assembly. "Well, since you're friends of Blercer here, I'll cut you a deal. One thousand gold gets you to the Isle and back. But not a penny less!"

Your move. You each started with 100-600 gold on top of all your normal equipment within reason--I hope that was clear--so a grand should be doable. After all this is a suicide mission journey fraught with peril. I've said too much. :?

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by greyarea »

Tret narrows his eyes at Alonso. There are seven of us and you are asking for 1000 even? Tell you what. We pay you 350 now, he turns and looks at Gristle, that's 50 each, and then back at Alonso, and then we give you another 700 when we make shore on this paradise island you're taking us to. And if we get there with out losing all we eat overboard, there will be a bit extra for you as well.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#56 Post by Bloodaxe »

Syrus Once-dark

Syrus voice sounds grim and hollow out of his great helm.
If we pay all the coin upfront how can we be guaranteed you will return for us? I say part before and part after. I dont want to be stranded on someplace named "The Isle of Dread". Getting us there is only half the job.
He pulls out a small pouch full of gemstones. (200 gp value)

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#57 Post by badams30 »

Gristle - Crazy-Ass Dwarf

Gristle stares at Tret, clearly taking a moment to let his words sink in. The light of recognition crosses his face and he winks. "Er, yes! That sounds agreeable! Yup!" He saunters over to Tret and nods, stage whispering "That's good... yer a smart one." He starts to turn, then he whips around and extends a finger toward Tret and he says with a grin "Pull my finger. It's arcane magic, I tell ya... "

OOC: Gristle stands by waiting for the smart folks to seal the deal. He'll produce his share of coin when needed...

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by spanningtree »

Soldath - Mage

Ay, I agree with Tret, 350 coins up front. No more.

Seeing Gristle stick his finger in Tret's face: Watch it Tret! Can't be sure where that's been....

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#59 Post by connivingsumo »

Hildebad: Bearded Lady
Hilde looks back and forth the bickering and haggling, like a cat watching a dangly toy. Confused and unsure, she goes and stands by her brother. "I ian pay'in that much, but me coin is ready when ya ladies quit'cher bickerin."

Rattler45
Runner
Runner

#60 Post by Rattler45 »

Hanequin-Cleric

Is standing by, trusting that a proper deal will be made. Says, I agree that it should be part up front and the remainder upon return to safe harbor.

Return to “The Isle of Dread (Labyrinth Lord)”