House Rules:

Spearmint
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

House Rules:

#1 Post by Spearmint »

House Rules:...ever changing as the game goes on.

First of all let me express I am not a rules lawyer and your player character may 'in character' attempt to do anything and may very well achieve it if he rolls high enough. This section is to help me run the game in a challenging and enjoyable way. So we are all going to learn as we go along and these rules are all subject to change if they appear to be too overpowered, ineffective or just plain stupid. However as the DM I will arbitrate any final discussions and decisions. Hopefully these house rules will just help the game flow and manage game mechanics in a simple and understandable way.

It will include another couple of 'in game' characteristics which will be important for your character as he adventures.

The following are some house rules developed so far: :)

Dice Rolling:

Please use the dice roller when you make an attack roll, use a skill or make a saving throw. Link the rolls please so I can see them. It is your character and I want you to take responsibility for all their hits and misses, heroic actions, desperate saves, inspired knowledge or lack thereof. Make a macro which reflects your action and the appropriate bonus or penalty modifiers. for example:

Granville the Great, swigs from a bottle of rum, tainted with poison from the sap of a jungle toad.

Granville save vs poison [1d20+1]. Surviving thus Granville the great attacks the native chief with his magic dagger. Granville melee attack [1d20+2] Dagger Damage [1d4+2]

It is your responsibility to know the macro accurately so please check all the modifiers are included in the text. In combat situations, you may be faced with multiple attacks and I will roll these using real dice, in real time on my desk. I just don't have the patience to link 20 or 30 different attacks and damage differentials. I will post a narrative of the action and consequences of successful or unsuccessful rolls. As Gary Gygax said,
Quote:
DMs' dice rolling is just for audio effects only.

Critical Hits and Fumbles:

If you roll a natural 20 on an attack roll, it will be counted as a critical hit. All critical hits do double damage from the weapon type plus or minus any modifiers due to strength, magic, miscellaneous conditions. Granville the great critically hitting the chief would do [2d4+2] damage with his dagger.

Fumbles: A natural roll of 1 on a d20 is counted as a Fumble roll. These will work in different ways. Fumble during melee and the opponent may get a free basic melee attack in return as you are off guard. Fumbling range attacks may cause different results. They could be minor disasters like slipping over, snapping a bow string or shafting your comrade in arms. I will narrate them as necessary.

Firing into melee: At short range, characters may fire into melee without any penalty or danger to allied combatants. A miss will be counted as missing all combatants. At medium range and long range I will roll to see if the fired projectile hits a 3rd party or misses.

Skill Checks:

Skill checks are rolled when the characters need to overcome a problem, attempt an action or gather information. Instead of rolling a d20 I find it easier to class the difficulty level of the problem or action and then get you to roll a number of d6 dice vs an attribute you are using. So an easy to solve problem or action may need you to roll [2d6], as problems or actions go from easy to nigh on impossible you may need to roll, 2,3,4,5 or even 6d6 (easy, normal, hard, difficult, impossible)

For example, jumping from the balcony to swing from the chandelier in the tavern might be a normal task, roll [3d6]vs the characters dexterity ability score, playing tug-of-war with an ogre over a chasm might be might be a very hard difficult roll [5d6] vs strength.

Return to “Castle Amber (1st Ed D&D)”