Chapter #5: Adventure #5 The Hermit's Riddle

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Chapter #5: Adventure #5 The Hermit's Riddle

#1 Post by GreyWolfVT »

The Hermits Riddle
Not too far from the Valley of Echoes lies the small village of Talv. The mystic Mahara is well known in Talv, and for years has been visited by villagers in need of advice or healing. In return, the villagers try as best they can to take care of the old man, making sure he is always clothed and well fed. However, about a month ago, tragedy visited the small village when those sent to deliver the hermit’s food failed to return.

Talv can be located on the front of card 1, and a close-up of the village and the Valley of Echoes is provided on the front of card 2. This adventure can take place when the PCs stop in Talv on their way to the Haunted Lands during “Eleven Baneful Gates.”

The first of this news was found as the group of adventurers arrived at Talv and were greeted by a Tarvan shepherd who informed the group about the mystic hermit Mahara, and the travelers that have gone missing sent to deliver food and other goods from Talv to the old hermit. They learn from the villagers about the tragic disappearances of travelers sent to visit the hermit Mahara in the nearby mountains. Too afraid and superstitious to leave the safety of Talv, the villagers mentioned that the council of elders seek anyone to go find Mahara in the mountains, for surely the wise mystic knows what has befallen the other travelers. The council of elders of Talv are offering a 500 gp reward for any adventurers willing to undertake their mission. The council of elders gave the directions to Mahara’s cave in the Valley of Echoes.

The Valley of Echoes
The Valley is a desolate pass between two short mountain ranges, strewn with large, black rocks that have tumbled down the steep slopes. Many of the boulders are over 10 feet tall and restrict the vision of even to anyone mounted, vision is restricted to several hundred yards. A ranger or warrior with tracking knowledge will note nothing but the passage of mountain goats and an occasional mountain deer. After departing Talv, travel to the valley passes uneventfully for the first day, broken only by brief sightings of mountain goats picking their way among some higher ledges along the sides of the valley. During the first night, however, everyone is wakened by a lone hyena howling nearby.

Valley of Echos Map:

Actions?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter #5: Adventure #5 The Hermit's Riddle

#2 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Dubb

Suddenly awake, Dubb casts about for the cause. "That may be a problem. Hyenas rarely roam alone. I can't imagine we'd be prey, but something isn't right here."

Dubb gets up and starts to don his armor.

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by Zeromancer »

Ameer, also now awake, peers about the camp for any signs of imminent danger. Seeing none, he reaches only for the jambiya which he sleeps with and decides against donning his armor for the time being. "Relax, my friend. This canyon got its name for a reason, no doubt sounds are carried for great distances within its confines. Besides, the hyena I'm familiar with are mainly scavengers, and none of us are dead, yet... he says (to Dubb), pauses for a moment, then adds, "Nevertheless, we should be vigilant."

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Dram »

Anuzal- Awakens hearing chattering from the Hyenas. Maybe we should move the camels towards the center of the camp. Make some smaller fires on the outside of camp.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex

Abrex stirs and wakes at the tailend of the strange howl and comments, "I thought I heard rumors of WereHyenas and that may be a little different that just a pack of hyenas. I can't remember if it was a coucil member or the bar owner or someone else who spoke of this. Make sure the camels are protected."

Abrex gets his Longsword and Buckler ready
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by ravenn4544 »

Asad grunts and holds out his sword, "Here's how you deal with hyenas!"

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I hope this helps with any confusion. Your first day of travel is entirely uneventful. You all setup a campsite for the night and it is fairly quiet until roughly 11pm full moon is out and you hear the sound of a hyena howling.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#8 Post by Scott308 »

Benham Iskandar

The cranky sha'ir awakens to the sound of the hyena. Can we not get one decent night's sleep out here? First those damned giant bugs, now this blasted hyena! Although, becoming a werehyena could be rather interesting. I wonder how painful the transformation is. Stretching, he calls for his gen. Jafar, bring me back an invisibility spell.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Dram »

Anuzal puts on his gloves and cloak then pulls his scimitar. Were Hyena missed that conversation. We could of prepared for that before we left Talv.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Zeromancer »

Ameer beams a smile in the elf's direction as he continues to keep an eye and ear out for approaching danger. "Werehyenas? There's no such thing, merely tales spun by a few superstitious locals." he says to Anuzal, then chuckles politely. Inwardly, however, the scholar is growing at least somewhat concerned as his experience has taught him that there is always a bit of truth to every story. He turns to the hired grooms while donning his armor and says, "Do as Anuzal suggested, bring the camels in from the camp perimeter."

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex

Abrex gets his armor on and scans the direction of the noise and tries to gauge the distance the creature may be from them.

Abrex says, "Does it sound like it's getting closer? Be ready we don't know how fast these creatures are. Normal or otherwise. We should shield the casters a bit. Fighters in the front row. Caster behind us a bit. Leave room between the fighter for the casters to cast at the beast(s). Fighters circle up around the caster if there are more than one and attack from more than one direction."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Also wish to clarify that Alara Jamal's genie did leave the sword and dagger that were identified with someone when they left their room in the morning. Storm11 posted as such.
Storm11 wrote:If anyone comes knocking upon the little shair’s door, Alara will crackle into view within the corridor.

My master is exhausted from his divination today. He asked me to give you back the dagger and the sword with these messages. Both are enchanted, neither with any extra powers. They both bare enchantments that make it easier to hit and are sharper than your mundane weapons, causing more significant damage. He says he will see you upon the Morrow once he has recovered his strength.

+1 longsword and +1 dagger.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex

Abrex accepted the LS+1 from Alara bought breakfast for them.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Dram »

Anuzal - Did not get the dagger. I guess he thought he would see the mage the next morning.
Last edited by Dram on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Hyena in the Moonlight

The Hyena howls again in the night it sounds like it has not moved from it's current location. Nobody can see exactly where the creature is but they can still hear it every so often howling. Looking around in the night you almost think you spy the shadowy silhouette of a hyena in the distance maybe 100 yards away in the same direction you are heading to locate the hermit Mahara. Other than the one lone hyena you don't spy any others near it and that makes you wonder where is the hyena's pack?

Actions?

Does the party currently have a campfire going? Would you have made a fire when setting up camp? Anyone carrying any light sources?

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex

Abrex would have made a campfire if enough wood, tinder were available and scavenged more wood for the night.

Abrex lights his hooded lantern as well and softly says, "We should stay close by the fire my friends. I will light my lantern too. Perhaps we can see a bit further. The Hyena may be trying to lure us out as prey. Stay by the fire and look out into the darkness all around us or up higher. It's the ones we can't hear we should watch for."

Abrex has his sword and buckler ready.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Dram »

Anuzal- Gets into his back pack and pulls out a globe. I acquired this item back in Mulsk. It creates a light source but permanently hangs on your shoulder till destroyed or you die. I do not like the idea of having something hanging over me over all the time, but I figure one of you mages may like it. He looks to the wizards and clerics.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by ravenn4544 »

Asad seeing no immediate threat will take a watch or sleep.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex

Abrex keeps an eye out for a bit then also decides to head to bed turning off his lantern to get some rest unless there is activity worth pursuing other than howling.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Dubb

"It seems I may have gotten dressed for nothing. Still, it is very curious. It's almost like it's trying to lead us on. To what?" Dubb muses as he prepares to take watch.

Return to “Archive”