Jamal: Asides - Chapter 5.1 - Adventure 5.1

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Jamal: Asides - Chapter 5.1 - Adventure 5.1

#1 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Jamal invisibly on his phantom steed rides from Talv two days behind the others and sets off following the trail they went on. His first day of riding is hot but he manages to make it until the night with no issues or encounters. He finds the evening oddly calm and quiet. The night sky is clear and he can see the moon and stairs quite clearly it is quite the sight to behold. The next morning he finds signs of where his friends had camped most likely on their first night he was not too far from where they camped. The halfling sha'ir feels confident he is on the right trail. Travelling part way through his second day he notices something glimmering in the sands ahead something golden reflects the sun light when he hits just the right angles.

Actions?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Jamal: Asides - Chapter 5.1 - Adventure 5.1

#2 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal will send Alara for another invisibility spell before resting.

[1d100] = 58 : [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4 : [1d6+2] = 5+2 = 7 : [1d6+3] = 6+3 = 9 : [1d6+4] = 4+4 = 8

And she comes back empty handed. He sends her for a second time and she returns successful.

[1d100] = 5 : [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7 : [1d6+2] = 2+2 = 4 : [1d6+3] = 1+3 = 4 : [1d6+4] = 1+4 = 5

Jamal attempts to cast the spell [1d100] = 48 and does so successfully, renewing the invisibility magic upon him for another 24 hours before he sleeps.

In the morning he gets up early and sends the wind gen off for a Phantom Steed enchantment. [1d100] = 100 : [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2 : [1d6+2] = 2+2 = 4 : [1d6+3] = 2+3 = 5 : [1d6+4] = 2+4 = 6

She is gone an inordinately long time [1d10] = 5 for almost two hours. She returns empty handed and apologises for the delay. Grumpily the sha’ir asks Alara for the spell again. Again she is terribly delayed [1d100] = 97 : [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7 : [1d6+2] = 2+2 = 4 : [1d6+3] = 1+3 = 4 : [1d6+4] = 1+4 = 5 and returns just under an hour and a half late, unsuccessfully.

An ordinary camel then the halfling orders and wearily the wind gen crackles from existence on this plane. [1d100] = 17 : [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7 : [1d6+2] = 2+2 = 4 : [1d6+3] = 3+3 = 6 : [1d6+4] = 1+4 = 5
In seven minutes she is back with a mount spell and within a few more Jamal has conjured a light horse and saddle and is speeding off into the distance.

Upon spotting the shiny thing in the sand Jamal asks Alara to fetch an unseen servant spell and she disappears to find one immediately. [1d100] = 85 : [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5 : [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8 : [1d6+3] = 5+3 = 8 : [1d6+4] = 6+4 = 10 She returns some five minutes later shaking her head. Jamal demands she find it and off she pops again returning empty handed. [1d100] = 72 : [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6 : [1d6+2] = 1+2 = 3 : [1d6+3] = 6+3 = 9 : [1d6+4] = 6+4 = 10

i need that spell Alara. Get it! NOW! the halfling grumbles. [1d100] = 86 : [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3 : [1d6+2] = 1+2 = 3 : [1d6+3] = 3+3 = 6 : [1d6+4] = 3+4 = 7 Only minutes later she returns shaking. its not there Master. she whines. ”GO!” is all he says.

After a good 6 minutes she returns relieved. [1d100] = 16 : [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6 : [1d6+2] = 1+2 = 3 : [1d6+3] = 2+3 = 5 : [1d6+4] = 6+4 = 10 I have it I have it

Casting the spell successfully Jamal conjures the servant [1d100] = 41 and lifts the shiny thing with his mind, moving to the maximum range rbefore attempting it.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Shiny stuff in the sand

The bright object in the sand nearby, gleaming brighter than the sun above. Investigating the object turns out to be a 12-inch-long golden feather that magically glows with its own bright light. The unseen servant pulls the feather from the sands nothing happens to it. The unseen servant brings the feather back to Jamal. Jamal has never seen anything of this nature before. He is puzzled what kind of bird could this have come from?

Actions?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal peers closely at it, suspicious. ”It is clearly magical. But what made it, or where is it from”

Alara flies closer and peers also. Beats me, but it sure is shiny. Can I have it?”

The Sha’ir shakes his head. We don’t know if it’s damgerous or not yet. I think I shall get the servant to place it in my pouch and close it up for now until we have time to examine it more carefully.

With that he floats the feather into his pouch and closes the lid with it.

With that he spurs the horse on.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Golden Feather save it for later
Deciding to play it safe the Sha'ir has his invisible servant place the golden feather in his pouch to be examined at a later time. Nothing happens the feather is stored in the pouch and the steed is spurred onward. Jamal and his companion(s) continue onward in the hot desert journey they come to a few places where they can see large dog tracks that head off in the same direction as the trail it appears a large number of camels went. Naturally Jamal figures this to be the others he is trying to catch up to. Looking around all the sha'ir sees is the mountain ranges and sand. Still he continues on at one point he sees a mountain goat up on a part of the mountain range grazing. Still a fairly uneventful journey thus far aside from the golden feather. Jamal is still likely a good day or so behind the others about one third to half way through the pass in the valley of echos. Near night fall Jamal establishes a camp and is alone with Alara and his steed. As he is setting up camp he notices something odd a head protruding from the ground the word “LIAR” on his forehead which appears to be branded there.

Actions?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal screams into the night, and leaps back. Alara flies over and has a peer at the head.

Is it severed, or still attached? the little wizard asks horrified.

Rolling her eyes the wind gen peers more closely to have a look.

Dont be such a sissy! she croons, looking at the neckline.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Buried in sand

The eyes open and the head looks at Alara and Jamal then talks "It's still attached." as it appears the dao is buried up to his neck in the sand. Question would be why is he buried and why is "LIAR" branded upon his bald head and who would bury a dao in the sand up to their neck, brand "LIAR" on their forehead and leave them there?

Actions?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal steps back involuntarily. Arent you an earth genie? How are you stuck in your own element? the sha’ir asks suspiciously, calling Alara over to him. Seeing that it is a genie the wind gen hastily regrets deferentially. Your pardon your eminence. Is there any way we can help? she asks fearfully.

”ALARA!” Jamal cries in exasperation. He peers suspiciously at the earth genie and awaits his response none the less.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Buried Dao

Dao replies "several decades ago by a sha’ir named Adnan al-Raqi, I was buried here by his magic." the dao appears calm and collected even for being buried in sand up to his neck. "As for a way to help yes if you wouldn't mind digging me out. It would be nice to be out of the sands." the dao blinks the sands from his eyes. "It would be nice to be more than a mere head again."

Actions?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal frowns and looks suspicious. Thats all it will take? Digging you out by hand and you are free? I don’t think I believe you!”

He moves further away from the genie and calls Alara with him.

I would like you to bring me back a spell called ESP if you wouldn’t mind my dear. I would quite like to see what’s in this Dao’s mind before I begin digging. Don’t you think?” Alara nods conspiritorially and crackles our of existence on this plane swiftly.

[1d100] = 36 : [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6 : [1d6+2] = 1+2 = 3 : [1d6+3] = 6+3 = 9 : [1d6+4] = 6+4 = 10

Whilst the Air Gen is off the sha’ir turns to the dao and asks What species of genie are you? I forget?

Alara is back within three minutes with the spell to hand. Feeling it’s power enter his mind the sha’ir turns and swiftly casts the ESP spell but feels the magic slip through his fingers. [1d100] = 100

Damn it. Again Alara if you would. I moosed it up. “ Shaking her head and sighing the wind hen vanished once again. Within five minutes she is back again triumphantly.

Once again Jamal tries the magic, casting the spell successfully this time [1d100] = 33 and then concentrating on the daos thoughts.

An unseen servant spell if you wouldn’t mind my dear whilst I am busy! the invisible sha’ir says distractedly, and off Alara bustles. In four minutes she returns diligently with the required spell, and waits hoveringin the air beside her master as he works his own genie magic.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Buried Dao: Humble Sands
OOC: Lets do a Genie Lore check.

Dao looks at Jamal puzzled "You too are a Sha'ir are you not? I'm a dao. From the elemental plane of earth." the genie says nothing more and waits to be dug out if he will be. "I am trapped here by powerful magics. Doomed to wait for someone to dig me out. So far nobody has." he adds. The dao does not move which leads Jamal to think perhaps he is more than just buried in the sand he might be magically bound by other means under the sand as well. After all in the training to be a Sha'ir Jamal was taught about Genie Prisions one of the most useful powers the shairs have involves the imprisonment of genies. This doa keeps referring to a Sha'ir that imprisoned him with magic it is possible considering the training a Sha'ir goes through.

Actions?

OOC: Genie Prisons is on page 35 of the complete Sha'ir's handbook btw.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Storm11 »

I understand

Jamal nods his head and senses the genies surface thoughts with his magic.

Why have you got LIAR written on your forehead? he asks conversationally whilst sensing the thoughts of the creature.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#13 Post by GreyWolfVT »

ESP: Reading thoughts of a Dao

Jamal senses the dao to be telling the truth despite the branding of "LIAR" on his forehead.

Dao sighs having become more humble from his time trapped "I'm called Caiphas, here is my story. I was buried decades ago by Adnan al-Raqi. He used magic means to trap me so that I would remain buried until I could convince good travelers to dig me out and unlock the magical chains that render me powerless. A cruel twist of fate for an earth dao." he pauses to allow Jamal to weigh his words so far the Sha'ir senses honesty from the Dao. "To prevent anyone from beleiving me he branded LIAR upon my forehead as you can see. Though the humor of this is that he cursed me to only be able to tell the truth." again Jamal can sense this is all truth not a lie. "I have learned my lesson believe me. I have endured unrelenting assaults from skeptical passers-by and the savage elements in my condition. I have learned my lesson don’t insult
a powerful sha’ir. As of yet no traveler has ever believed me."
he ends his tale. Waiting and watching Jamal's reactions with a passive face. None of what is said has Jamal sensed to be untrue in any way. Through means of the ESP spell Jamal can sense that the Dao's thoughts match his words exactly and that all the Dao can think of is being freed and granting his savior with a gift of 3 wishes. Knowing the nature genies are with wishes though the Sha'ir knows he will have to be very precise and careful with how he words a wish.

Actions?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal nods again as Alara settles upon his shoulder. Be wary master she whispers into his right ear.

The little sha’ir calls forth the unseen servant successfully [1d100] = 42 and begins to dig out the sand around the genie with it.

what will you do to me if I free you? Do you offer anything for the service I may provide?

An improved phantasmal force spell now Alara if you please my dear he whispers back. Within four minutes the wind gen materialises smiling. [1d100] = 38 : [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2 : [1d6+2] = 2+2 = 4 : [1d6+3] = 2+3 = 5 : [1d6+4] = 2+4 = 6
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Caiphas "I will grant three wishes to to you if you free me from my prison." again words match his thoughts with no sense of a lie at all.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal smirks at that. I am a sha’ir of some note, and I know well the promises of geniekind. If you promise to grant me three wishes and not twist the wishes negatively against me or those I care for, I will try and free you from your prison. Once free, and my wishes are granted, what is your plan then? Where will you go?

He will encourage the unseen servant to dig the sand as quickly as possible.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Caiphas "Back to my home plane. I've seen too much of the sands out here to care to stay in this place."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Storm11 »

Well then, let’s see about setting you free then! Jamal says smiling.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#19 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Caiphas "You actually believe me?" the dao sounds skeptical seeing as he has been stuck here for decades nobody has ever believed him. "Well Sha'ir you are the first but I suppose that is because you are far smarter than the other travelers have been." as far as you can tell that is as best a thanks you will get from a Dao.

GreyWolfVT

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

how do you plan to dig the dao out?

Return to “Archive”