Chapter #4: Adventure #4 Eleven Baneful Gates - Part 1

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Chapter #4: Adventure #4 Eleven Baneful Gates

#61 Post by Zeromancer »

Ameer has now wrapped his head completely with the turban, leaving just a small slit to see through. The man dismounts and positions his camels among the ring, takes a sip from his waterskin, and peers away from the camp in several directions as he attempts to determine the positions of his scouts.

"I will not shelter myself with magic if there is not room enough for my men as well. I choose to face the storm in the matter Fate has determined for me, and I will endure." Ameer replies, his voice slightly muffled by the head shroud.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Bluehorse »

Emma

"let me try something that might help..." she cast move sand and tries to move the sand aroind the group in a creasent shape and banks it as a large dune against the impending storm, building it as high as stable as she can before her control fades. She will then join the others, wrapping up in canvase with the camels.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#63 Post by GreyWolfVT »

After the Sandstorm:

With the sandstorm quickly on it's way some of the group joins Jamal and Benham in their magical shelters the rest cow the camels and take cover under the smaller tents, blankets and canvases. As fast as the storm came so too does it pass. Everyone manages to sustain no injuries other than to now be covered is a light layer of sand everyone survived the storm. The sandstorm was a interesting thing to experience for those who had never encountered them before. You've managed to learn quick thinking and action is best when a sandstorm hits. However as everyone is recovering from the sandstorm they notice something else heading towards the group that must have ridden behind the sandstorm using it for cover. Riding on horseback heading towards the group is about two dozen men dressed in proper desert travel attire, weidling shields and scimitars, some spears, and javelins. You estimate that you have enough time to head to Sakina Canyon and hide in the canyon or mount a defense where you are.

Actions?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#64 Post by Zeromancer »

Ameer assesses the state of the camp and its occupants as he directs his men to repack the utilized supplies onto the pack camel. Whilst this was going on, he catches sight of the approaching riders who were undoubtedly desert raiders, perhaps unusually crafty ones given their proximity to the passing storm. Fighting a pitched battle at this locale would be a tactical folly, he must attempt to sway the group from standing their ground.

"My friends, I recommend we make haste for the canyon. We should try to evade this adversary until we can battle them on our own terms." the scholar suggests as he mounts up.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Dubb

"Raiders. Always raiders." He looks around at the state of the group, unsure if they can get riding in time. "I see your reasoning, Ameer, but I am less confident about our ability to outrun them."

Dubb shrugs, seemingly not overly concerned about the raiders. "But avoiding conflict is a worthy idea. Let's mount up and make for the canyon." Dubb smiles broadly. "We will reconsider if they keep gaining on us."

Dubb finishes unlinking the camels and packing things away.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex Myzeen

Abrex gets his stuff ready and helps anyone else get theirs ready that needs it.

Abrex states, "Right. Mount up folks best speed to the canyon. While we might be able to handle the raiders it wouldn't be without cost. If fate forces a fight so be it, but best we try to avoid it if we can. In case we need to fight let's hope the Sha'irs can even the odds a bit."

Abrex makes sure the others get going before he does then stirs his camels on as fast as he can safely ride but not letting anyone fall behind.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal will scuttle down out of the rope trick, appearing ten feet up in the air after the rope unravels and shimmying down it.

He sends Alara off for an improved Phantasmal Force spell and gathers his gear together and then helps the others.

With assistance he mounts and follows the leaders off towards the canyon.

She’s back in 6 minutes empty handed. [1d100] = 67 : [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5 : [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6 : [1d6+3] = 5+3 = 8 : [1d6+4] = 5+4 = 9

”Again Alara, hurry!” he says urgently, and the feb vanishes in crackling sparks of lightning. She is back even sooner this time, in only three minutes. ”It’s not there master,”[1d100] = 68 : [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6 : [1d6+2] = 1+2 = 3 : [1d6+3] = 6+3 = 9 : [1d6+4] = 6+4 = 10

”A sleep spell then,”the halfling says shortly, and she vanishes once again.

[1d100] = 79 : [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5 : [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8 : [1d6+3] = 5+3 = 8 : [1d6+4] = 5+4 = 9

Five minutes later she is back. ”Nothing!”. The sha’ir hisses in frustration. For heavens sake Alara, what’s wrong with you!phantasmal Force!”

In less than no time Alara returns smiling. ”Here, I have it!” she croons and the halfling looks mightily relieved. ”Let is ride hard for the canyon!”

How Long to get too the canyon from where we are, and approximately how many people are chasing the company?
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#69 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Throwing out some rough math the sandstorm was moving at 25 mph and hit in 15 min, so the storm was about 6.25 miles away when the group saw it. The raiders are on horses that are moving between 25-30 mph and were behind the sandstorm a little distance at least so I'm going to say they are about 8.5 miles away and will be to the group in 20 minutes. Yes I know that means your seeing more details than likely possible with the human eye. However if anyone has a spyglass that is how you made out the details. ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Ullek
Tracker
Tracker

#70 Post by Ullek »

Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan "Quickly loads his gear onto his beast, and secures the bindings and prepares to follow group into the canyon, where he will seek the high group and prepare to deal real pain on their attackers with his composite longbow" At approximate 300 paces I will start attacking if no other venue is available.
"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers"

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by ravenn4544 »

Asad the Lion contemplates mounting his camel and charging the oncoming hoard! Thinking of the suggestion of the cavern, however, it would provide a greater defense and the means to deliver more dead foes to the waiting hands of Fate. "To the caverns! Let us defend ourselves there- or die trying!!! MOVE!!"

He pulls and kicks his camel to move as fast it will go, taunting the enemy as he laughs "Catch me if you can, Dogs!!"

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#72 Post by Scott308 »

Benham Iskandar

Seeing the raiders approaching, the sha'ir begins preparing his camel to flee. While he does so, he puts the efreetkin to work. Fetch me the Sleep spell. A few minutes later, Jafar returns empty handed.
When the gen returns with no spell, Benham rolls his eyes. Are the two of you trying to get us killed? Go back and look again!
At least you aren't wasting much time as you are off doing...whatever it is you do other than find my spells!
Let's try something different, shall we? I need a magical Web. Go!

Cowering, the efreetkin tries to defend his efforts.
I'm sorry, Master! The sleeping spell just isn't out there. I will bring you back this spell, I have a good feeling.
Jafar takes a little longer to return this time, but he is successful. Master! Here is the spell you requested! he says, excited to have been able to be of service to his Master.

You imbecile! Can you do nothing- what? You found the spell? The gods have decided to bestow upon us a miracle this day!

He will head out whenever the group is ready to depart, helping out where needed if necessary.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Dram »

Anuzal packs his gear quickly gets on his camel and heads for the canyon. Come quickly lets get to the cave.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

GreyWolfVT

#74 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Tactical Retreat: To Sakina Canyon

The spell casters prepare for the upcoming confrontation with the raiders and the group scrambles to gather their stuff get the camels up and moving heading to the Sakina Canyon. With quick action and quick thinking the group and all the hired help everyone manages to get off to the Sakina Canyon ahead of the oncoming band of desert raiders. With time to spare, you make it down into the canyon and the raiders reach the canyon but don't come out into your direct sight one of them presumably the leader shouts out "We know you are there, and can hear us. Come out and no harm will come to you. We have you outnumbered. Come peacefully and give us all your coin and we will leave. Come now think about it, try and fight us and die we take everything even your camels. Don't put up a fight we take only your money and leave you be. You have until the count of ten." at this time you can hear there are horses moving around into positions possibly some coming around to go down into the canyon after you. Then the voice starts to count "One....two....three..." more movement is heard and it sounds like low talking possibly to get the ranged raiders in position.

Map: Rough idea of the current layout. The Raider force is split into 3 groups of 8 however you can't see this from your vantage point the horses represent where you are hearing their movements from. The Camel represents all of the adventuring party's location however the raiders can't see you either currently.
Map Sakina Canyon.PNG
Map Sakina Canyon.PNG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 509 times
Actions?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Storm11 »

can the raiders see us?
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#76 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Storm11 wrote:can the raiders see us?
Nope I thought I made that statement in my post above but no they cannot see you currently they are moving so they can try and see you same from your end you cannot see them either. Just giving a visual for where you are and where you can hear the raiders.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Storm11 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:
Storm11 wrote:can the raiders see us?
Nope I thought I made that statement in my post above but no they cannot see you currently they are moving so they can try and see you same from your end you cannot see them either. Just giving a visual for where you are and where you can hear the raiders.
Thanks. I got that we couldn’t see them but wasn’t sure if they could see us as they are looking down upon us.

Jamal will whisper to the others. Perhaps I can even the odds a little and frighten them off with an illusion of some more adventures to even the odds. What do you think? We could have ridden here to the reinforcements we had!”
Greys Campaign.

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#78 Post by Zeromancer »

Ameer listens carefully to the raider's words and immediately begins formulating a plan of action in his head. He quickly swaps out his robe with another colored off-white and of much finer quality and properly rewraps the turban about his head. He turns to Jamal and says "Such magic may help make my ruse more convincing - how many of these illusory beings can you create?" The robed man spins his mount, and addresses the group as a whole, "They may not buy my attempt at deception, in that event, we may have no choice but to fight. Several of you may want to try to circle around behind them while I have their attention." Finally, he shifts his gaze toward his personal guard and adds, "You four are with me, weapons at the ready."

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Dram »

Anuzal - Put on his cloak and gloves and disappears from sight. Everyone move into the shadow of the canyon wall.I will move farther down see if they able to get down here into the canyon.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Bluehorse »

Emma

She searches her memory and has only a few ideas that may or may not be practical. She draws her Jambaya and looks up half expecting hell and high water to come pouring over the rim at them.

"I can conjure a fog cloud... or produce a mirror image of someone..."

Return to “Archive”