Word on the streets: Out of Character Chatter

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Word on the streets: Out of Character Chatter

#361 Post by Zeromancer »

With regard to water, depending on the season we're presently in, a camel may not need to drink water at all. It would get all the water it needs from the fresh fodder it finds on the journey.

2126 - Arabian Adventures, p.80

"Provided it is initially well-watered and fed, a camel can go up to a seven days without suffering the ill effects of dehydration. On the eighth day, however, normal effects for dehydration set in. At the end of each day that an animal does not get its full requirement of water, there is a 10 percent chance that it will die. The chance is cumulative, increasing by 10 percent with each successive day. On the day that an animal again drinks a full allotment of water, it is completely rehydrated; future checks for death by dehydration start at 10 percent."

1077 - Land of Fate, p.34

"Most importantly, a camel's need for fresh water is minimal. It can go without water for two to four weeks during winter and early spring, when grazing is good. The desert's green plants satisfy the camel's need for water. It is a misconception, however, to believe that a camel can survive for long without water and fresh fodder. When the spring days grow warm, a camel begins to need watering about once a week. During the height of summer - when Zakhara's deserts are as dry as tinder and ash-camels must be watered every two days to remain healthy. A camel in top condition can survive two weeks without water and food, but few nomads would purposely risk so valuable a life for a foolhardy trek."

I imagine that some of our characters would already have this knowledge (in game), and if they didn't, a few questions of caravan masters or other desert wanderers would reveal all of this to us.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#362 Post by GreyWolfVT »

No season was mentioned in the module so I'm just going to say it is summer. I was also reading some of the material from those two books and I would suggest that you folks get Desert Camels as it mentions a lot of the other camels are not ideal for Desert travel.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#363 Post by Zeromancer »

Sure, no problem. Summer it is then.

Also, as Ameer has never worked with this group before, he will certainly request his share of the additional 1,000 gp just as he had taken the 1/9 (?) share of the 2,000 gp advance offered previously. No one has suggested any sort of group fund IC yet, either, so as far as he knows, this is every man (or woman) for himself. If trust is earned and should he decide to stick around after his appointment ends, then maybe he'll consider donating to the group cause as a whole. Ameer only wants what he is entitled to, whether it means declining a share of the prior adventure's rewards, or asking for an equal share of the advance to fund this expedition.

GreyWolfVT

#364 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Hey there looks like 3 of you haven't updated your character sheets to level 4. Also Zeromancer need a character sheet posted eventually bro. :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#365 Post by ravenn4544 »

Asad sheet updated.

He needs to get equipment prior to departing. Is that 300gp he has alloted to him if I understand correctly? Anything unused would return to the party pool?

Anyone mind if I claim a xtra healing potion? Did someone already take the +1 shield?

Thanks!

GreyWolfVT

#366 Post by GreyWolfVT »

You can keep the 300 gp that is allotted to each so yes Asad gets 300 gp if you don't want to keep the change it can go into the group "pot" we'll call it I guess. Otherwise keep the change so you still have your own private funds as well. Also thank you for updating Asad's sheet. :D

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#367 Post by ravenn4544 »

Thanks.

Do we all need to trade our horses for camels? Or do we have enough now between us (we could sell extra horses if so)?

Asad would also like to trade in his studded leather for chainmail. Without any haggling ability I assume I sell at 'B' and by at 'A'?

GreyWolfVT

#368 Post by GreyWolfVT »

The way I'm running haggling is if you don't want to haggle just pay the N (normal) price. The horses won't do as well in the desert compared to the camels so I would suggest trading them over for desert camels. So far looks like we have a trend in getting 2 camels for your transportation the other to be more like a pack animal. Also if you want that group fund can be used for getting the camels if you really want to hold onto the horse and leave it in Muluk that is fine. You have some NPCs already staying behind that can take care of the animals for you. Also yes that is fine in trading in the armor.

Pretty much though going back to the haggling you can haggle if you have the NWP if you pass you get the lower cost if you fail the roll you pay the higher cost. However I also mentioned somewhere maybe in a PM a while back (months ago) that anyone can haggle but with out the NWP you roll off versus me if i win you pay more if i lose you pay less. We can haggle per item or in bulk if you want.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#369 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Raven,

Dubb had taken the shield, I thought Asad had that large two-handed scimitar. If you want the shield, that's fine with me.

GreyWolfVT

#370 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Asad's sword was nothing more than a fancy sword worth more coin than battle worthy the thing was pretty much more ornamental and less functional and not magical as he had hoped.

Also as for Dubb's statement about water if you heed Rashad's advice you will follow the river from Muluk past the Sakina Falls and have plenty of access to fresh water for a few days before entering the desert.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#371 Post by ravenn4544 »

Are the scimitars one or two handed in this case? Would affect any shield decision. With an upgrade to chain and dex bonus, i'd be at 3 which isn't bad so if you need the shield more than I do have at it!

GreyWolfVT

#372 Post by GreyWolfVT »

ravenn4544 wrote:Are the scimitars one or two handed in this case? Would affect any shield decision. With an upgrade to chain and dex bonus, i'd be at 3 which isn't bad so if you need the shield more than I do have at it!
From what I just read it does not say either type of scimitar is 2-handed just says one is medium sized the other is large.

Sword, Great Scimitar = Large, weight 16lbs, speed factor 9
Sword, Scimitar = Medium, weight 4lbs, speed factor 5

Sword, great scimitar: This weapon has a huge, curved blade. It is most commonly wielded by the local ruler’s executioner, which is why it is also dubbed the “headsman’s sword.” Deadly but cumbersome, a headsman’s sword is the best weapon to use against an opponent who is going nowhere.

If it were me based on this description I'd say the Great Scimitar could be used 2-handed mostly due to it's size and weight.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#373 Post by ravenn4544 »

Thanks - i'll assume that it is 2-handed to be effective. Honestly, wielding 16lbs is a lot of weight one handed.

Dubb- the shield is yours!

GreyWolfVT

#374 Post by GreyWolfVT »

ravenn4544 wrote:Thanks - i'll assume that it is 2-handed to be effective. Honestly, wielding 16lbs is a lot of weight one handed.

Dubb- the shield is yours!
That's how I had Rashad using it as well. The description of being "the headsman's sword" makes me believe it would be 2-handed in nature.

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#375 Post by Zeromancer »

Did we decide to depart in the evening and travel at night? It will certainly save water and wear on the animals if we go this route, and it's what Ameer suggested IC as he departed to make his preparations. However, if the group as a whole elects to travel by light, that's fine too.

GreyWolfVT

#376 Post by GreyWolfVT »

It sounded like leaving the next day was the plan I'm just trying to keep things moving from my end so you guys aren't all sitting here going why the heck hasn't the DM posted an update. ;) :D

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#377 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex will follow Ameer’s departure time.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

GreyWolfVT

#378 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Just want to double check everyone added HP for any level ups, and adjusted THAC0, some of you should have gained a NWP or a WP slot by level 3 for Warriors, by level 4 for Rogues, Priests WP at level 4 and NWP at level 3, Sorry Mages you are stuck until level 6 on WP and level 3 for NWP slot gain.

To help with THAC0 and Proficiencies I added the tables from the PHB for 2e here: viewtopic.php?f=443&t=6194&p=344914#p344914

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#379 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex is saving his Weapon Proficiency slot. He has added HP, No change in Savings throws yet. Thac0 updated. I think he is set. His next WP Level 3+6 will be Tight Group Clubbing Weapons: Belaying pin*,
Club, Footman's mace, Horseman's mace, Morning star, Warhammer. His NWP he took at Lvl 3 was Etiquette.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

GreyWolfVT

#380 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Cwreando wrote:Abrex is saving his Weapon Proficiency slot. He has added HP, No change in Savings throws yet. Thac0 updated. I think he is set. His next WP Level 3+6 will be Tight Group Clubbing Weapons: Belaying pin*,
Club, Footman's mace, Horseman's mace, Morning star, Warhammer. His NWP he took at Lvl 3 was Etiquette.
Thanks for mentioning that I forgot to say Saving Throws thanks for the reminder ;) I'll add the saving throws table to the forum as well save folks digging out books or pdf files all the time :D

Return to “Archive”