Chapter #1: Introduction to Adventure One: Flick of the Tail

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Chapter #1: Introduction to Adventure One: Flick of the Tail

#1 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Flick of the Tail

“A fish in the pot is worth two in the sea.” ~Old fishermans proverb.

Babazadeh has never been a lucky fisherman. Today, when he cast his net along the coastline west of Muluk, his efforts yielded nothing except some bloated coconut husks and a rusted anchor. Babazadeh threw his net into the sea one last time and called upon Fate for better luck. When the time came for him to draw in the net, he discovered he had caught a magnificent fish, covered in ruby scales that flashed like fire in the afternoon sun.

Babazadeh was disentangling the brilliantly-colored fish from his nets when it squirmed in his hands and begged him for its release. At first Babazadeh was astonished and apologized to the fish, but he soon regained his senses and explained that selling it in the bazaar would bring enough money to feed his family for a year. The fish promised great wealth in exchange for its freedom, but the fisherman ignored its desperate pleas. Sealing it in a pot, the fisherman carried his valuable catch back to the city.

When he reached the grand bazaar, other stall keepers were amazed to see him carrying such a heavy pot and asked to see what it contained. Having heard these same merchants mock and ridicule him countless times in the past, the fisherman proudly uncovered the jar. Immediately, the ruby-scaled fish stuck out its head and regarded its audience with a calm stare. Among the merchants and stall tenders watching the fish was a young porter named Khalid. When the eyes of the fish and the kind-hearted porter met, Khalid knew that he must act at once to save the beautiful creature from a dinner plate. Without further thought, he snatched the fish and ran.

At first, Babazadeh and the rest of the merchants were too astonished to do anything but stare in wonder at the audacious theft of the porter. While the other stall tenders laughed at the fisherman’s most recent turn of ill fortune, Babazadeh set off in pursuit of Khalid. The chase did not last long, since had Fate directed a large mule train to cut off the young porter’s escape near a well in the bazaar.

Babazadeh was on top of Khalid in an instant, raining blows and insults on the porter with all the fury of a sandstorm. In desperation, Khalid tossed the fish into the air. All eyes in the bazaar were on the scarlet fish as it slowly arced toward the mouth of the well. It plopped on the low wall surrounding the well, and with a flick of its brilliant tail, disappeared over the edge into the water below.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

GreyWolfVT

Re: Introduction to Adventure One: Flick of the Tail

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Map of Muluk & Environs
Muluk and Environs.png
Muluk and Environs.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 1657 times
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

GreyWolfVT

Re: Introduction to Adventure One: Flick of the Tail

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Map of Muluk
The adventure begins at the Grand Bazaarof Muluk (Area 2 on the map below)

Muluk’s grand bazaar sprawls under the open sky. Visitors quickly become lost amidst the chaotic array of covered stalls and bewildered by the disorienting overload of sights and smells.

Foods of all kinds can be purchased here:
dates, wild honey, roast mutton, olives, steamed rice, pomegranates, sweet breads, and succulent fruit juices.

Eating at the bazaar is roughly one third the price of sitting down to a meal in a restaurant. Besides food, the second best bargain at the grand bazaar is indigo dye, which is sold here by plantation owners directly to the cloth dyers. Finally, all kinds of trade goods from the other Free Cities can be obtained at the grand bazaar: exotic potions and magical scrolls from Qadib, agate from Hafayan merchants, coffee and red glazed pottery from Liham, and finely-crafted metalwork from Qudra. Although the distinctive purple clothing of Muluk can be purchased at the grand bazaar, it is greatly overpriced in order to rob ignorant travelers of their money. Most sensible citizens shop for apparel in the cloth bazaar. (Area 3 on the map below)

Map:
Muluk.jpg
Muluk.jpg (567.55 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
Map Key:
Muluk Map Key.png
Muluk Map Key.png (129.89 KiB) Viewed 1641 times

GreyWolfVT

Re: #1: Introduction to Adventure One: Flick of the Tail

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Each of you wanders into the bazaar and notices a large crowd assembled near one of the many wells. The throng is assembled around the fight between Babazadeh and Khalid. You all see Khalid toss the fish into the well, after which Babazadeh pounds Khalid and swears even more furiously. At last, with the young porter a bruised heap on the ground, Babazadeh turns his eyes skyward and calls upon Fate for a second time " Kor, Loregiver hear my call remove this bad luck that befalls me, I'll give anything to be saved from such ill-fate."

Babazadeh the fisherman begins pleading with the crowd, "Please wont anyone help me? Someone, anyone help me gather my fish from the bottom of the well..." asking for help to retrieve his lost fish at the bottom of the well. Seeing that the excitement has ended, the audience throws a few disparaging remarks at the unlucky fisherman and disperses, leaving the miserable Babazadeh standing beside the well with the bloodied porter and each of you.

Babazadeh the fisherman wants nothing more than to recover his catch; he eagerly explains how valuable his talking fish would be if sold in the bazaar, "If you help me get my fish back it would provide me with enough money to feed my family for a very long time. If...you help me I promise to share half the profit with you. What do you say huh?" not waiting for anyone to reply Babazadeh "I must admit though that the fish may be more than just a mere fish, it spoke to me though that matters little to me all I care about is getting the money to take care of my family. If I can earn the money from selling the Genie Fish then so be it. Will you help me?" The young porter, Khalid was knocked senseless by Babazadeh’s beating.

Actions?

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Bluehorse »

Emma Springdawning

Making her way eagerly through the Bazaars seeing what wonders they may have to offer, She hears the commotion and moves to see what is the matter. Seeing the brutal beating that Babazadeh delivers unto Khalid, she winces but stays back until things have calmed a bit before moving in and first checking on Khalid...

ooc: Assuming he is okay...

Emma moves over to Badazadeh. "Hello, Bayım. Let's say you calm down and tell me what happened?" She tries to use her courtly charms to lower his blood pressure a bit so he is less likely to starting beating on the other man again and maybe share some more details about what just happened. "You say you lost your fish? Where did it go? The Well you say? Do you maybe know where it leads?"

Emma Springdawning

[1d20] = 1 vs CHA (12)

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Dram »

Anuzal Keeping his face covered he stays to the back watching the commotion. He begins to walk towards the well when the crowd disperses Then the women approaches the Babazadeh. He will listen to their conversation listening to see if he may able to offer any help.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex hears all the commotion and wanders over after buying some freshly baked bread and some fruit from a street vendor. He thinks to himself, "What a beautiful day and what is all this commotion about? I guess I will go check this out." He strolls over staying close to the buildings and listen further.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by max_vale »

Rahkeem; human male Corsair (Fighter)

Rahkeem had come to Muluk four days ago and the long-time sailor was already missing the sea, though not his last crew. As usual, the good natured warrior-of-the-waves had joined a crew of pirates and rogues and while he didn't mind relieving rich merchants of luxury goods that were only going to the wealthy; he was NOT a fan of unnecessary carnage or the taking of goods intended for the masses and ESPECIALLY not the taking of slaves. When his last crew had done so, he objected....violence broke out, and now here he was....in a port city, with no ship to sail on....

He found himself in the bazaar and had witnessed the luckless fisherman and the young Porter/Thief who snatched the wondrous fish and then tossed it up into the air/towards the well where it disappeared. Without meaning, too, he found himself rushing over as the fisherman beat up the young lad and then lamented loudly and called on the crowd for help.

Rahkeem's first thought was to check on the poor beat-up young man, but his new acquaintance Emma beat him to the punch and uttered soothing words to the aggrieved Porter. He also noticed another pair of newly met companions; Anuzal and Abrex standing nearby and listening to the conversation. Shrugging his shoulders and seeing that FATE had seemed to bring them here for a reason, the Corsair decided to act on his instincts.

He turns to the unlucky fisherman and says; "I am Rahkeem ibn Hamad al-Qudra; a sailor and warrior and one who knows the signs of Fate when he sees them. I will attempt to search for this magical fish of yours, but I cannot promise to return it to you as it may tell me a tale worth keeping it out of someone's cooking pan. If it does not, I will return it to you; if it does and I release it; I will give you 10 pieces of gold from my own purse which should feed you and your family for a few days at least. It's certainly not what you would have received had you sold the fish; but on the other hand, if the fish is enchanted as you say; perhaps it is the cause of the young lad there;" at this Rahkeem nods his head towards the poor unconscious porter, "-stealing the fish and therefore your pummeling of him was unjust."

The warrior-of-the-waves shrugged off his armor, his boots and his belt of weapons, keeping only his Dirk in his teeth as he takes in his new companions with a look and smile. "It would certainly seem that Fate is calling us to her today my friends! Please watch out for my gear and wish me well." With that, he dives into the well and begins his search for the fish...

OOC: Using Swimming NWP
Last edited by max_vale on Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#9 Post by Scott308 »

Benham Iskandar, Human Sha'ir

Benham Iskandar moves through the crowd, with difficulty at first, until the crowd notices his travelling companion. Then they cannot move away quickly enough, making sure to give him, and the efreetkin accompanying him, as much space as they are able. He hears the whispers as he walks through the crowd. He always hears the whispers, no matter where he goes; they no longer bother him. The whispers, that is- although the people no longer bother him anymore, either. Most are fearful of the pair and go out of their way to avoid crossing them. The common-folk are afraid of genies, and by extension, those who deal with them or their kin. Though the efreetkin is small, he is a symbol of terrible power, power that none wish to have brought to bear on them. The sha'ir greatly enjoys the fact that the stupid and the superstitious, often one and the same, fear him. Most days, a trip to the bazaar just brings tedium. Today, however, after picking up some writing supplies and enjoying a delicious sherbet, he has come upon some sort of disturbance. Apparently, someone stole the fisherman's magic fish, which is currently in the well. This is certainly more interesting than a typical trip to the bazaar! He'll have to hang back, see how this plays out. Maybe there is an opportunity for him in this whole affair.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal Al Asir, halfling sha'ir arrived in Muluk to see some relatives in the halfling district. Starting to sense he is being taken advantage of by his kin to use his genie magic to improve their coffers, the young wizard has come to the bazaar to hide from his relatives.

Hearing the commotion the young halfling wanders towards the fight staff in hand, his beautiful djinnling Alara flying beside him at his shoulder. Seeing the fish flop onto the well and fall within the sha'ir rushes forward to look into the water to see where it had gone.

"Magnificent wouldn't you say my dear?" the sha'ir breathes trying to get a better vantage of the well on his tip toes.

Alara shrugs and flies in front of his face. "Don't you think you should see if that poor young man is ok first. That beast of a fisherman beat him senseless, and you are more worried about a fish!" Her blue skin glistens in the sun, her long white hair billowing about her as the small creature flits about.

Jamal frowns at this and waves the gen away. "The gnome is seeing to the young human, what more do you want me to do Alara?" he gripes exasperated. This seems to be a long standing good natured bickering between the pair.

"Can you fly within and see if you can shed a little light on things?" Jamal asks his disapproving djinnling, as he fishes out a scroll case and cracks it open, sliding out a charm on a leather thong, the stone glimmering with an intense magical light. Placing it over the 10 inch tall geniekins neck he ushers her over to the well mouth.

"I am not going in there, it smells terrible." she grumbles. "Just to the waterline my dear, and hurry, before the fish swims away. Be careful and stick to the wall now." the halfling urges fluttering his small hands towards the well in a gesture to get on with it.

Sighing loudly Alara shakes her head and floats slowly down the well, keeping to the wall of the structure and shining the light charm into the darkness as she goes.

Well, what can you see?" the small sha'ir calls, is it there?

"Give me a minute to see will you!" floats up a tiny exasperated voice, as the well brightens with light.
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter #1: Introduction to Adventure One: Flick of the

#11 Post by ravenn4544 »

Asad the Lion strides forward through the crowd with mighty shoulders back and head held high. The smart ones noticing him move out of his way. Those that didn't get bumped or pushed aside indifferently as Asad makes his way through the world. He approaches the commotion at the well with a stick of meat in one hand and massive sword strapped to this back.

Looking into the well, and looking back at Babazadah he laughs loudly and exclaims, "Fate favors the fish!!"

Asad pays the beaten man at the base of the well no mind.

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Emma: In checking no Khalid you discover he has been beaten to unconsciousness and is for the most part alive but far from ok.
Bluehorse wrote:Emma moves over to Badazadeh. "Hello, Bayım. Let's say you calm down and tell me what happened?" She tries to use her courtly charms to lower his blood pressure a bit so he is less likely to starting beating on the other man again and maybe share some more details about what just happened. "You say you lost your fish? Where did it go? The Well you say? Do you maybe know where it leads?"
Badazadeh responds back quite charmed by Emma "Why beautiful lady did you not see this young porter stole my fish and threw it into the well. As to where the well leads I do not know."

Rahkeem: in confronting Badazadeh he responds to your speech.
He turns to the unlucky fisherman and says; "I am Rahkeem ibn Hamad al-Qudra; a sailor and warrior and one who knows the signs of Fate when he sees them. I will attempt to search for this magical fish of yours, but I cannot promise to return it to you as it may tell me a tale worth keeping it out of someone's cooking pan. If it does not, I will return it to you; if it does and I release it; I will give you 10 pieces of gold from my own purse which should feed you and your family for a few days at least. It's certainly not what you would have received had you sold the fish; but on the other hand, if the fish is enchanted as you say; perhaps it is the cause of the young lad there;" at this Rahkeem nods his head towards the poor unconscious porter, "-stealing the fish and therefore your pummeling of him was unjust."
Badazadeh looking thrilled that someone has offered to get his genie fish back "Oh thank you thank you, I can agree to your terms but I think the genie fish would fetch a higher price." aside from that he looks ashamed of his violent act after the lecture "Forgive me I was overcome with frustration and rage and took it out on the porter."

Afterwards Rahkeem discards his gear and tosses it on the ground near his friends and unthinkingly dives into the well... realizing then that the well is over 50 feet deep, and the well doesn't appear to have water for at least the first 30 feet or so...possibly more

Jamal: gets his answers from the djinnling that accompanies him.

Alara "I can't see far enough down to see the fish, but the well is deep and doesn't have water for a fair distance down." she then obeys and goes down to the waterline and after some time returns back "The well goes down fifty feet before i could see the waterline and I couldn't see any fish in the water down there. But there is a small, brick-lined tunnel. at the water's surface. Oh and your friend Rahkeem is alive he made it to the bottom."

Asad: the fisherman does not look happy at your statement with a sour look he responds to you.

Badazadeh "That is not funny will you not help me as your friend did diving down the well?"

Rahkeem: does splash down in the water, and Alara does indeed see him swimming in the water at the bottom of the well. You too see in swimming around the pooling water that is roughly 20 feet deep as you discovered in swimming and looking for the fish to which you could not locate. You notice there is a small, brick-lined tunnel.The conduit is 2 feet by 3 feet, and filled with 9 inches of water. To go down the brick lined passage you would likely have to crawl on your knees.

Everyone else: watchs on as Emma charms the fisherman, the porter remains bloodied and unconscious and their friend dives down a well as a Alara another friends djinnling goes in and out of the well.

Actions?

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Dram »

Anuzal gladly takes the charge of watching over the Rakheem gear. Comparing his weapons and armor to the fighters. Then he turns and addresses the merchant. You got a jar or bowl to put the fish in. I will lower it down on my rope.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Bluehorse »

Emma

She flashes the unlucky fisherman a smile. "Well, my friend is down there looking for your fish now, and everyone seems to be interedted in helping up here, too. Now why don't you take a deep breathand help me with the man you pombled just now? He's going to come too soon, and it will be a lot better for you if you are seen being remorseful and helping him. There were too many witnesses and you are too well known to cover it up. Lets make a good show of you trying to make good on it before the guard gets here. Come on. I'll help you, and everything will be okay. " all the while she gently guides Badazadeh over to Khalid and kneels down.

"Now lets take a look. I'd imagine your used to patching yourself up on occasion what with fishhooks and sharp fins ect nicking you all the time. What do you think we need to do to help this poor man? Does he need bandages? Water? I really am interested in what you would do if say this was a loved one." she continues trying to coax him into taking a peaceful action, playing on his rising guilt just a little, but staying careful to remain subtle. Secretly hoping to elicit some help from any spectators in the crowd as well.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal the halfling sha'ir calls Alara back to his shoulder and whispers something quietly to her. The flying djinnling takes off the glowing charm from her neck and ripples from view.
Jamal has sent his gen to find a feather fall spell.[1d100] = 36 : [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7 : [1d6+2] = 1+2 = 3 : [1d100] = 19
After Alara fades away Jamal will tie the sun charm to the top of his staff and wander over to the fallen porter and the gnome lady.

Greetings and salutations. Alas we could not find your fish at the base if he well, for there is a tunnel that leads from the wells bottom. It looks likely that the fish may have swam off along the viaducts under the streets of Muluk. Do you know where they lead perhaps? the halfling asks running his fingers through his curly blonde hair.

My name is Jamal Al Asir, and I am a wizard. There may be something we can do for you, should you assist the porter you took your frustrations out on." The blue robed halfling smiles and raises his eyes, fiddling with an ornate gem around his neck, resting upon his bare chest.
Greys Campaign.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by max_vale »

Rahkeem ibn Hamad al-Qadra; human male Corsair (Fighter)

Rahkeem had grown a little scared on his dive down, when he realized the deep well was less than half-full, but the splash-down did NOT result in painful injuries or death, so once again, Fate had smiled upon him….for now…

Looking for the fish, he saw no traces, but when he surfaced, he saw the small tunnel. Treading water, he called up to his companions; "It would appear that the fish swam down a small tunnel….perhaps 2 by 3 feet or so and with less than a foot of water flowing down it. I will crawl after it, but Emma or Jamal, if you either or both of you wanted to come down, you'd probably be better suited to explore this avenue."

He will tread water for a few moments, awaiting an answer, but either way, he's prepared to crawl down the tunnel after the fish...

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#17 Post by Scott308 »

Benham Iskandar

It appears the group will be heading down into the well. Any hope of a reward for rescuing the magical fish seems to indicate the necessity of taking that path, anyway. The human sha'ir begins speaking to the efreetkin on his shoulder, who seems unhappy about the conversation. After a moment or two of bickering, the gen blinks out of existence, making the crowd near him more comfortable...for the time being, anyway.
He sends his gen to find a Float spell from the Sea domain. Fire gen aren't big fans of that domain, but if he must, he must.

1st Level Wizard Spell (55%): [1d100] = 7; Search Time (rounds): [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5; Delay (if rolled 00): [1d10] = 1
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Dram »

Anuzal gathers up the fighters gear. "I do not know about going down the well." Anuzal yells down the well. Is the tunnel man made. Maybe someone knows where the entrance is to this aqua-duct.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

GreyWolfVT

#19 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Badazadeh shrugs "I do not know where the well leads or the tunnel in the bottom of it." looking at the porter the fisherman decides guilt ridden and charmed perhaps aiding the porter to consciousness is the right thing to do. Digging out some first aid stuff the he carries for injuries when fishing Badazadeh bandages the porter as best he can. "I've done the best I can for the porter but it appears in my blind rage the poor man needs more than bandages." the porter remains unconscious it appears the bandages didn't help the young man beyond just stopping the bleeding.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal, halfling sha'ir nods to himself as he watches the unlucky merchant tend to the porter. "You may be right indeed, some clerical healing might be what the young man needs now. Perhaps there is a temple near by that you could take him too?" the little blue wizard asks curiously.

Hearing the voice of the human from beneath in the well Jamal will skip over to the opening and peer within again, standing on his tiptoes. "We are working on the young porter at the moment but that isn't a bad idea!" he calls down helpfully.
Greys Campaign.

Return to “Archive”