Chapter 3: The Glittering Tower

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3: The Glittering Tower

#161 Post by Urson »

Jake

Jake bites his lip, trying not to react to this monstrosity claiming to be a god.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Wait. How long does it take to become a god? Is there a ceremony? And what do I get for getting there?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Wikerus is uneasy. He doesn't care for the shark man's body language. Still, he's polite and a decent conversationalist. He looks to the others. "We couldn't possibly get this lot back to the rat tower if we tried, could we? Not all at once. Seems like an arduous undertaking at the very least. I say we continue the search for the wizard."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

it would be one way to kill them all. we just say that as long as they stay in the boat, they will be fine. Hide the space suit and have Flintlock or the wooden men demonstrate it...

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Starbeard »

Tough decision. Is the Princess still carrying the urn?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#166 Post by coil23 »

While it may be a chore, I am intrigued by the idea of ferrying this lot back to the other tower. The idea of unleashing this horde on the rats, soldiers, and ugly babies pleases me. Or if we want to be malicious once they are on the staircase, we could suggest they look up to see the beautiful cherubim. If we go that route, I think we should get all but one of our people on the other side before they have a majority over there though. Horton would volunteer to be the ferryman to bring them over, load by load.

But I'm easy. What is the consensus?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Urson »

Jake

I'm with you, Wilkerus. It took way too long to get over here, and getting everyone- plus The Captain and his boys- back would be a lot harder.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

But they've got a bigger ship. That could hold them all. And then they would just need to hold their breath. I bet a near-god could manage it. Flintlock looks to the shark-man, with eyes of death to see its reaction.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Pulpatoon »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Wait. How long does it take to become a god? Is there a ceremony? And what do I get for getting there?
Ondrj laughs his ugly laugh. "I admire your ambition, man of pewter. But it takes more than that to court divinity! Worship! Millenia of fear and worship! Find a corner of men's hearts and colonize it!"

Ondrj the Reaver watches the exchanges, both verbal and silent, between the members of the party with quick, glittering flicks of his eyes. maintains a steady stream of light small talk—describing the provenance of the samovar ("Pried from the hands of the wailing tsarina...") or how a passing sailor acquired a particularly disfiguring scar ("Flayed at the hands of a wailing tsarina...").

With the party uncertain how to proceed, Ondrj purrs, "Your concern for my crew is touching, but we are prepared to assess the risks ourselves. Let us do this: You will show us the room that contains this passageway. We will determine whether an expedition is called for. You may join us, or remain here, as your livers dictate." At the mention of livers, the shark-man openly salivates.

Ondrj stands, dislodging his remoras, and is immediately joined by a dozen of his armed pirates. The samovar and wine are cleared away and there is an obvious expectation that you will set out for the portal room now.

Ondrj: "Shall we?"

Actions!
More on Monday!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Starbeard »

The Princess remains seated, according to custom. "I see no reason that we should not show you the way to the tower, though I dare say we will wish to press onward here ourselves. If ever you find yourself in Franceland, We hope you will do us the honor of entertaining Our court for a letter of marque. Blue-blooded privateers are an unfortunate rarity these days."

She will be the last to stand, following the party whichever way it goes.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Flintlock's face becomes contorted as he does some figuring. Finally, he speaks. I can show these fellers the way, and get them on the path, but you'll need yer own boats. Because you'll have our boat over there and then we can't get home. Besides, it'll go quicker with more boats. We had to come over in several loads to get us all here. He fails to mention the need for fleshies to be in a suit and hopes no fleshies offer to help him lead the pirates to the portal.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Keeping his face as still as possible, so as not to betray doubt or fear, Wikerus tries to reason out what exactly is transpiring here. The piscine reavers seemingly already know of the room with the void tarp - how could they not? - they were entering it just after the party arrived. Why had they not made use of it till now, if their interest were to travel to the other side? Perhaps the boat itself is enchanted is required for passage, in which case, their boats won't work. Had they already tried? He suspects a trap, or at least being stranded here forever. He smiles, weakly. "Ahem... have you lived here long? Any points of interest for those who remain behind to check out? I was contemplating a bit of sight-seeing..." he ventures.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#174 Post by coil23 »

Horton waits to hear the responses to Wickerus' questions.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by Pulpatoon »

Ondrj looks annoyed and tired of the effort of conversing politely with the party instead of attacking them. Now that there is a plan in place, he brusquely departs, snapping orders at the pirates.

Soon, a long boat has been provisioned with basic expedition gear and lifted onto the shoulders of the six sailors who will go through the void. Another six sailors arm themselves to accompany the others to the portal room and guard against the Eld.

One of the remoras, his face flushed from his extended nuzzle at Ondrj's side, answers Wikerus' questions. "Ondrj, God-Man, Reaver, comink to Dunes one hundred years. Lookink for money-cattle Medved Master owink him. Medved livink up in tower with very bears. Beyond is Dunes. Red dunes."

Ondrj returns to the party at this point and, his mind too occupied to maintain pleasantries, barks, "You lot, go with my boys. Show them where to go and then you can bugger off up an Eld's ass. BUT. If my men don't come back—for any reason—I'll pull the skin right of you!" Whipping his head around to note the non-human members of the party, he continues, "I'll have the rest of you on the carpentry bench, and this one," he points a finger at Flintlock, "gets beaten into an anchor."

And with that, you're off.

The expanded party returns through the ramping tunnel, up to the trapdoor into the rope room. It takes the pirates a good hour to maneuver the longboat through this trapdoor.

If there are any hijinks you want to get up to, this seems like a good time.
Actions?
More on Wednesday!

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#176 Post by coil23 »

Horton does not care for the abrupt rudeness one bit. He catches the princess' eye when the pirates are not looking and gestures a question about pouring the urn's contents in the doorway between the pirates and our party to slow them down from coming after them once the pirates are in the room. We can set up the void tarpaulin and then move back out of the room. Or instead of that convoluted plan, maybe just use the gavel to keep them in there once we are out of the room.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"So, I guess I'll skip the sightseeing and go with you, then?" says Wikerus, putting up no visible resistance to being herded out the door. He walks stiffly, eyes forward, trying desperately to think of a plan that doesn't end in cross-wise bifurcation at the hands of the captain. Well, the face, really.

"You'll want to keep arms and legs ...and fins ...in the boat at all times," he says. "It can get chilly, so you might tighten your scarves." As he walks he remembers he has a net. A net! Nets are good for fish, should things go south, as they inevitably will...

And just like that, it suddenly occurs to him that the urns contain the memories of the wooden soldiers. He casually works his way over to Splinter.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Ignoring the obvious threat to his person, Flintlock opens up to the shark-man. You're hurrying too much, Captain. There's things you don't, yet, know. The room we left from had terrible, living statues. We only just escaped their ferocity, but some others want so lucky as us Your gonna want to send two boatloads of these menacing-looking lackeys to secure the room. And like the wooden man said, the trip is kind of chilly, so you'll want to take an overcoat. With that said, Flintlock joins the procession back to the room they started in, taking a spot near the front so he can suruptitiously tap the door with the gavel when they arrive. He doesn't want the shark to know about it and try to take it.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Urson »

Jake

Jake is puzzled by the whole operation, unsure why everyone is so ready to help this monster and his crew. But.... if they go to the other side, at least they're out of our hair.he thinks.

kensanata
Tracker
Tracker

#180 Post by kensanata »

Splinters stands up and follows the crowd. His main objective will be to push ahead and move the party's boat out of the way, with the space suite hidden away in the boat. He really doesn't want to surrender that.
I run a blog. I also run a site for campaign wikis. I wrote a face generator, a character generator, a dungeon mapper, a Traveller subsector generator, and a hex map generator (editable as text).

Return to “GARGANTUA - Into the Odd”