Chapter 3: The Glittering Tower

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3: The Glittering Tower

#221 Post by Starbeard »

The Princess begins to thump her fists against the big hairy ape. "Unhand us, you brute! Shoo! Skit-skat-skidaddle!"

(What am I rolling unarmed, a d4?)
Princess fisticuffs: [1d4] = 4

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by Pulpatoon »

Nets:
Oh, dang, how do nets work?
I think we might call this another contested Save. Wikerus' DEX of 15 vs. individual DEX Saves from the affected pirates (10). Much better odds than Flintlock's WIL roll.
Wikerus: [1d20] = 8 Success by 7. That'll be hard to beat.
Pirates: [1d20] = 10 [1d20] = 7 [1d20] = 6 [1d20] = 2 Only one Pirate succeeded more than Wikerus!
In the Portal Room
The Pirates clumped together to discuss Flintlock's subterfuge, making an easy target for Wikerus' net. Even as they reach for their weapons, the net descends upon them. One of the four is just far enough from the group that he is able to side-step. He draws his rusted cutlass and attacks Wikerus!
[1d6] = 3
This brings Wikerus to exactly 0 hp—Which means Wikerus is now the recipient of a Scar!
[1d6] = 4 + 3 = 7.
And Wikerus' Scar is: Shaken Nerves - You stammer, twitch, or shake, unless you use something to calm your nerves.
Please roll 1d6, and add that to your max HP, next time you have a chance to Rest.
Crit Damage check: [1d20] = 6
You're still up on your feet!
The pirate's cutlass lands a blow with the side of the blade on Wikerus' head. It leaves him with nothing worse than a long, purple bruise, but the sight of the blade coming so close to lopping his head off rattles something deep inside the poor man.

In the Rag Room
Deet and Schroff lie still. Splinters reloads. Jake steps back to try to study the ape's movements and try to find an opening.
The Princess batters at the ape with her delicate, manicured hands, the unfamiliar thrill of combat inspiring her to discover the improvisational joys of scat. Whether it is the pummeling or the vocals, the ape seems flustered.
The pirates continue to attack.
Princess attack: 4
Pirate attacks: [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 5
Total damage: 6

Characters in melee range: Ragroom Pirates 1, 2, 3, 4; Jake (5); Princess (6)
Targets: [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5
Everyone but Pirate 1 and the Princess!
Damage: [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 5
Pirate 2: 3 Crit Damage: [1d20] = 8 He's okay.
Pirate 3: 4
Pirate 4: 6 Crit Damage: [1d20] = 13
Out of Action
Jake: 5 (down to 5 hp)

I'll allow Jake an Advantaged attack roll next round, for having spent this round studying the ape.
One of the pirates is knocked unconscious by the the ape's blows. Another receives a solid blow, but stays on their feet. The other two are beginning to look weary. Jake takes a blow, but shrugs it off.

Actions!
More on Thursday!

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#223 Post by coil23 »

Horton did not understand the pirates' speech but between their shifty looks and "Now or never!" he got the gist. He uses his wooden sword and attacks the net-free pirate attacking Wickerus.
He is eyeing the tactical space as well, looking to see if any of the pirates are close enough that we could shove one or more through into the void. Especially the netted ones- they will likely get in one another's way so we may have a better chance of shoving that crowd.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by Pulpatoon »

coil23 wrote:Horton did not understand the pirates' speech...
Horton does understand their speech, having anointed himself with Wikerus' potion.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#225 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Flintlock used the distraction to undo one side of the tapestry and seeing it around, enveloping the netted pirates and, perhaps, the Cutlass-wielding one as well. He tries, in his way, to avoid his companions, knowing he would have a difficult time explaining to the others what has occurred.

Is that a DEX check, I hope?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#226 Post by coil23 »

Pulpatoon wrote:
coil23 wrote:Horton did not understand the pirates' speech...
Horton does understand their speech, having anointed himself with Wikerus' potion.
Oho! In that case, Horton's wooden sword strike is done with the High Umbrage Modifier of +75% chance of a crippling strike and +90% chance of sending the enemy's mind reeling in shame FTW! :lol:

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Max Hit Point Increase: [1d6] = 2 (Added to character sheet)
"How d..d.dd.d.... you f..fiend!" stammers Wikerus. He smacks the pirate right back with the flat of his axe, instinctively feeling it would be in bad form to use the edge part.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by Pulpatoon »

Rag-Room
Auto-pilot engaged.
The Princess continues to pummel with her fists.
Splinters fires his musket.
Jake takes his swing.
The three remaining pirates jockey for opportunities to get a good blow in.
Princess: [1d4] = 2
Splinters: [1d8] = 3
Jake: [1d8] = 8 [1d8] = 5
Pirates: [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 5
Group attack: 8
Ape Crit Damage check: [1d20] = 14

Characters in melee range: Ragroom Pirates 1, 2, 3; Jake (4); Princess (5)
[1d5] = 4 [1d5] = 1 [1d5] = 1 [1d5] = 1
Damage: [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2
Jake takes 6 damage. He is at 0 hp, and STR 13. Crit Damage check: [1d20] = 10 Passed!
Pirate 1 Crit Damage: [1d20] = 6 Passed!
It is Jake's carefully studied blow that seems to make the difference, the upswing of his maul catching the ape below the chin. The great beast staggers, but does not fall. It shakes its head, and lets out a wounded bellow. He grabs up one of the pirates, shakes him violently, and throws him at Jake. Jake and the pirate are both knocked to the ground.

Splinters sees the Eld look into the room, and then flee.

Portal Room
Flintlock DEX check: [1d20] = 7
Flintlock gracefully sweeps the potral-tarp over the netted pirates. There is a brief cry of pain and dismay, quickly muffled.

Horton and Wikerus close in on the free pirate.
[1d20] = 19
Crit Damage failed.
Horton distracts the pirate with wild thrusts of his wooden sword, allowing Wikerus to land a solid blow from behind. The pirate falls to the ground.

Outside, you hear the movements of the pirates who ran into the urn-room.

Actions!
More on Saturday!

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by Urson »

Jake

Jake lies there a second, gasping for air- the pirate knocked all the wind out of him.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#230 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Nice! whispers Flintlock as he sweeps the tapestry over the last pirate (with a wicked smile on his metallic face). He hurriedly tacks the tapestry back in place and tries to look inconspicuous. He tries to motion to Horton and Wickerus to get to the other edge in case the pirates charge them.

Poor pirates! :o

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by Starbeard »

The Princess' blue blood boils over, surging with the newly discovered thrill of mortal combat. She continues to beat against the ape, shouting utterances that will cause her to blush once the adrenaline dies down.

Princess Dormillon attack: [1d4] = 4

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#232 Post by coil23 »

Horton blinks in amazement that the three of them survived all this just now. He peers into the tarp to see if the pirates are visible floating out there. If they are not or are too far away to be obvious, he will suggest the three of them tell any incoming pirates that their brethren rushed forward without them to get saying they wanted to get to the treasure first. They went thataway!

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by Pulpatoon »

Portal Room
Flintlock sweeps up the remaining pirate and re-hangs the portal just as an additional 4 pirates enter. This group does not enter with the panicked rush of the previous group—they had some time to mill around in the urn room and calm down deciding to go looking for the others.

Horton checks to see if the cosmically-defenestrated pirates are visible... ...and they are not! The wooden soldier encourages the pirates to chase after their comrades, in their native tongue. "They wanted the treasure for themselves! They went thattaway!"
Horton WIL (8): [1d20] = 15
And, again, the pirates pull up short in suspicion.
Horton and Wikerus:
"You don't just speak foreign? You were spying on us!"
"Where'd they go? Did they take the boat? Why didn't they wait for us?"
"Scurvy dogs! Ondj will smoke their hides for this!"
The pirates notice that Horton has his wooden sword out, and that Wikerus is holding his axe. They draw their weapons.

Wikerus: please note the loss of your net, floating in the interstitial nothingness with three bound pirates.

Rag Room
Jake catches his breath, while the Princess continues to rain blows upon the ape—she is starting to get a feel for how to hold herself and direct the energy of her arm to land a solid punch.

The Princess lands solid enough a blow for the ape to turn his furious attention to her. He grabs her with one hand, and punches her savagely with another fist. His other arms lay into one of the pirates.

The Princess falls to the floor, her royal blue blood flowing freely. There are 2 pirates left standing, although one is unsteady on his feet.
The third pirate, the one flung into Jake, picks himself up and flees the rag room.

Then, Splinters' musket fires, and the ape falls!
Princess: 4
Splinters: [1d8] = 3
Pirates: [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6
Total damage: 6

Ape targets: Pirates: 1, 2; Princess: 3
[1d3] = 1 [1d3] = 3 [1d3] = 1 [1d3] = 3
[1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 4
Pirate 1: 6 pts dmg
Princess: 7 pts dmg
This brings the Princess down to STR 2!
Crit Damage check: [1d20] = 17 Failed!
Pirate Crit Damage check: [1d20] = 2
OHH! Would that this number had come up one roll earlier!
Apre Crit damage: [1d20] = 10 Failed!
Actions!
More on Monday!

kensanata
Tracker
Tracker

#234 Post by kensanata »

Splinter is turning into a master sniper. He just reloads, aims and shoots like a machine as long as he sees any enemies.

After the fight, I'm going to look for a pirate cutlass of some sort. Just in case my bullets run out.
I run a blog. I also run a site for campaign wikis. I wrote a face generator, a character generator, a dungeon mapper, a Traveller subsector generator, and a hex map generator (editable as text).

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#235 Post by Starbeard »

The Princess falls to the ground, one hand clutching her breast and the other extended upward and covered in royal blood. Before collapsing she cries out:

"Brute force or bribes of diamonds
Bend others to your will,
But gentle words have greater power
And gain more conquests still!"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#236 Post by coil23 »

Horton [speaking in his own common tongue] realizes the pirates are reacting to his drawn sword. He indignantly addresses their reaction: of course I'm at the ready! Am I deaf? It sounds like hell came crashing down out there! I planned on being ready when it waltzed in here. So what happened? And your mates rushing ahead without you is between you and them. He lowers his sword but does not sheath it, craning his neck as if to try and better hear what is going on beyond this room.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#237 Post by Urson »

Jake

Still wheezing and coughing, Jake kneels over the Princess and does whatever First Aid he can manage. Your pardon, Miss... he says as he presses a bandage improvised from his shirt-tail against her most obvious wounds.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

In the dark recesses of the cave, Flintlock's body easily blends with the stone wall. His maul is gripped firmly in his hand.

camouflage, please.

kensanata
Tracker
Tracker

#239 Post by kensanata »

Splinter waits for targets…

If there is a lull, if nobody needs a shootin', and I can see the princess lying there, I'll count to three and leave my cover behind the boat, rushing towards the princess, trying to help in any way I can (probably uselessly holding her head and crying for her not to leave us).
I run a blog. I also run a site for campaign wikis. I wrote a face generator, a character generator, a dungeon mapper, a Traveller subsector generator, and a hex map generator (editable as text).

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#240 Post by ChubbyPixie »

coil23 wrote:Horton [speaking in his own common tongue] realizes the pirates are reacting to his drawn sword. He indignantly addresses their reaction: of course I'm at the ready! Am I deaf? It sounds like hell came crashing down out there! I planned on being ready when it waltzed in here. So what happened? And your mates rushing ahead without you is between you and them. He lowers his sword but does not sheath it, craning his neck as if to try and better hear what is going on beyond this room.
"Yes! C..cc.ccareful now! Head on a swivel! They could be here any minute!" says Wikerus, hefting his hatchet and bouncing comically from foot to foot in "readiness" while looking past the pirates to the door.

Return to “GARGANTUA - Into the Odd”