Chapter 2: The Sinews of War

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 2: The Sinews of War

#1 Post by Pulpatoon »

A Soldier's Life

The enlisted men deposit their clothes and signatures with Quartermaster, and leave with their Army-issued equipment.

The Sawbones welcomes the party back to his tent. He immediately tends to Kurt and Mouse's wounds. He also makes it clear that, while he can't administer or distribute Army materiel to non-enlisted, all the old flesh-based medical supplies are right over here, and haven't been cataloged since... well, since the distance recesses of memory, when the Army first arrived here in the Castle. An oh, his back will be turned while he's seeing to his other patients.

The medical supplies are a pile of dusty leather satchels that have clearly been sitting unattended for centuries. The leather cracks and splits when handled. Inside blue pasteboard boxes, equally fragile, decorated with white figures of dancing fauns and woodland creatures. Central to each design is a fat, laughing goat-man whom the more educated of you will recognize as Silenus, a pagan figure of debauchery. Inside are precious medicines: ambergris, balsam, cardamon, melegueta pepper, musk, and civet, each in a tiny glass bottle. There are also needles wrapped in oil-cloth and waxed thread. The bandages have been reduced to dust, however. Mouse notes that one of these boxes would easily fetch a Guilder or two, back home.

Taking Jake aside, Sawbones measures him for a leg, and then digs around for a matching spare. The procedure is brutal—Wooden Soldiers don't require anesthesia and their bodies don't leak when you drill holes in them—but after several moments of piercing screams, Jake blessedly passes out.

A week passes. There is bed-rest for the wounded (everyone returns to full HP and STR!), and light occupation for the hale. Despite the Toy Soldiers insistence on duty and protocol, they are negligent in practice and pay little attention to the party. The Officers never leave the tent, only occasionally sending the Wooden Boy running about the place with orders of the most inconsequential kind. Bands of soldiers regularly patrol both the Bivouac and the Barricade, but they seem to do so spontaneously, without supervision. When not on duty, they mostly sit quietly.

Every morning and evening, chow is served. A big cast-iron pot of pease porridge is heated up, and any Soldiers not on duty line up with their Army-issued plates, tin and spoons, tin to receive their allotment. Since Toy Soldiers don't need to eat, however, they then line up to dump their provisions in a quiet corner of the Library where a mountain of petrified porridge slouches against the bookshelves.

Jake, after a nasty week of fever and puss, wakes up to find his improbable new leg in perfect working order. Although it is crudely attached by a hinge driven through his knee, it responds to his desires just as his old leg did. It's a little stiff, and he doesn't really have much sensation in it, but with a little practice, he is up and walking. With a little more time, the Sawbones assures him, he'll be dancing the espringale.

The enlisted men's clothes are returned to them, having been been thoroughly lacquered with glossy paint to match the Toy Soldier uniforms. They are now stiff to the point of immobility, (-2 DEX while wearing), but the enlisted men are constantly hassled by the other Soldiers if they appear out of uniform.

The non-enlisted are issued shovels and picks by the Quartermaster and asked to dig a latrine trench for the disposal of pease porridge. However, the floor is paved with large marble flagstones, so there isn't much to be done in this regard, and no one ever checks on their progress.

The soldiers delight in Shaggy Beaker's bell. Any ringing draws the attention of the entire camp, and the soldiers politely request that Shaggy keep the hours for them. He even receives a note from the Officers commending him on "the world of merriment and accord your tintinnabulation so musically wells."

The biggest excitement of the week occurs when a patrol announces that they spotted a flurry of regular-sized white rats at the top of one of the wooden staircases in the Barricaded Hall. The soldiers scurry to put together a detailed report and submit it to the Officers. Nothing more is heard.

Mid-week, an envoy of three Soldiers pass through the wooden doors off of the Library bearing packages, and then returning empty-handed.

Please let me know if you characters pursue any sort of agenda in during this week of idleness, and devise a plan among yourselves for what to do next.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 2: The Sinews of War

#2 Post by Pulpatoon »

ChubbyPixie wrote:Wikerus soon finds he is just as bad at soldiering as anything else. At least the standing around waiting part. Also the sitting around. And lying around. Conversation is no good - none of the wooden enlisted men seem to get his jokes. At all. Somehow he'd imagined more heroics. The most exciting thing that'd happened so far was that he almost got his nether regions painted bright blue. And that was the first day...

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Urson »

Jake will spend as much time as he can in self-administered physical therapy, walking and jogging to get adjusted to his new leg.

At some point, he will speak with the others. What do you guys want to do? Should we at least try to find this princess? Or do we just cop a runner as soon as we can? I'm not sure they'd notice if we disappeared.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Stirling »

'Shaggy' Beaker

delights in the role of regimental sergeant major, extolling roll call and parades. He always liked parades. he is watchful however of Mouse' progress and when fully healed he sets about garnering provisions for an 'expeditious expedition' into the castles nether reaches. (the vials of healing medicines and powders that may combine to cure poisons and disease).

He will check out the library for a scholarly volume on concocting such healing draughts, potions and lotions and 'second' it to supplies in his satchel.

When everyone is ready and a direction has been set, he will venture forth with Mouse in tow.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Urson wrote:Jake will spend as much time as he can in self-administered physical therapy, walking and jogging to get adjusted to his new leg.

At some point, he will speak with the others. What do you guys want to do? Should we at least try to find this princess? Or do we just cop a runner as soon as we can? I'm not sure they'd notice if we disappeared.
Kurt "We should rescue her."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by coil23 »

Horton

He never thought he could find a group more tiresome than people. But these uppity, aimless nincompoops are too aggravating to endure any longer. They simply must escape these wooden fools.

We need to get on about our business. For arranging an exit: I can announce that we have been ordered to go on a scouting mission for signs of where they are keeping the princess and try to bluster through that. Oooooooor....we could set a fire at one end of the camp and in the ensuing chaos we scoot out the other end.

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kurt "What if we mention the princess to our commanding officer? They might send us off to rescue her?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by coil23 »

Hortonshrugs, I already mentioned it once and they paid no mind. Looking around, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

mjulius
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by mjulius »

Mid-week, an envoy of three Soldiers pass through the wooden doors off of the Library bearing packages, and then returning empty-handed.
Langston, seeing the soldiers pass through the doors, cautiously and quietly investigates.
Brick mostly lies around, teasing those in their stiff uniforms.
Wither Whither
Citizen Lich, Level 2; Hit Points: 5
STR +2/12 DEX +3/13 CON +1/11 INT +6/16 WIS +2/12 CHA +3/13

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Pulpatoon »

mjulius wrote:Langston, seeing the soldiers pass through the doors, cautiously and quietly investigates.
Langston observes that there are between two and four guards at the wooden doors at any time. They take six hour shifts.

If approached, the guards declare: "Restricted access! Authorized Army personnel only may access the Tower!"

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Wikerus Blume

After taking in the others' suggestions, Wikerus chimes in:"Agreed. Soldiering's not for me, particularly. Smart looking uniform, but I'm experiencing quite a lot of chafing 'down there...' Perhaps we can go on an expedition to find me some new breeches? Or princess-saving's good, too. I'm for it. Where were they keeping her again?" He does, in fact, look much less idiotic than before in his army-issue gear. "Oh! Ahhh...." he adds, "Just remember now I heard there was some bad 'inquisitor types' running amok up here with some sort of bad intentions and 'must be stopped,' due to 'bringing ruin on us all,' etc... Run across anyone fitting that description? We should keep an eye out. Seemed important."

Wizard Lizard
Scout
Scout

#12 Post by Wizard Lizard »

Vanis leans on his shovel which he grips with calloused hands, a shaggy beard giving him an air of ruggedness and experience.

I'm fine with looking at the floor in search of trapdoors all day, but I have to say, at some point I might find myself acquainted with all those bloody tiles if it goes on. I'm all for saving a princess, but since you guys decided to enlist, it wouldn't be too wise to end up as deserters. Maybe yeah, find a way to get assigned to a rescue operation? They probably want us out of their hair anyway but won't admit it. What with being wooden people and all.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by coil23 »

Horton

To Wickerus' comments about inquisitors, yes, I had heard something similar. We had best be on the lookout for zealots. But being wary of zealots applies to any time in one's life , I suppose.

Horton ponders the mysterious package delivery system. What if we fashioned something that could pass as one of those packages and I just walked it in there to do some scouting? If anything goes awry, one of you could be prepared to start a fire in camp and raise the alarm. In the ensuing chaos we could all get out of here...perhaps with the promise of going to a cache of sand we had found before that could help extinguish the fire.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Stirling »

'Shaggy' Beaker and Mouse

"I wonder if the nursery has been redecorated since we pulled the curtain down. Maybe the babies have gone off for a feed and play somewhere else, we could try that way also though a fearsome maternal figure, some matronly beast patrols the halls nether regions to be sure."

After some thought Beaker proposes a exploratory expedition."It is my view that this encampment is quite rigid, it stays here and holds the territory. That may work in our favour as it is a place we can always come back to and err report to the captain and each other. With that in mind, I propose a group to come and explore a few rooms of the east Wing, going through the portal on the right in the rotunda. We may be away some days, those with me pick supplies and report at evening bell....err, that is after lunch later today."

Beaker and Mouse spend the rest of the time procuring supplies.

I must admit to getting a little lost with so many characters. How many people want to go where?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Wikerus would prefer not to split up. He'll go wherever the largest group goes.

We could always all go explore the rat balcony looking for the princess, then it would be as if we were on an actual mission. And discovering new areas at the same time. There could be other exits up that way, too. Just a thought. Wherever is fine by me, though.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by mb. »

Deet spends the first few days attempting to comply with the solider's wishes for the unenlisted, but even his simple mind eventually realizes the assigned tasks are impossible, and completely unnecessary. After that he spends time investigating the shelves, randomly reading books, and keeping on the lookout for anything resembling records of the castle and its functioning.

Schroff amuses himself by thoroughly exploring the territory he can reach, following interesting smells, and squeezing into corners and gaps, looking for any inobvious escape routes.

As time drags on, Deet is more and more in favor of any plan, any plan at all, that will get the party away from these boring soldiers and their unwinnable war.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Pulpatoon »

When Deet and whomever else is interested (presumably Horton is among them) go to find a good book to read, they find that, upon reaching the shelves, the books are huge. The smallest are as tall as Deet, and the largest could flatten a cottage. Picking a manageable-sized book (bound a bottle-green leather with floral embossments and gold chasing) and wrestling it open, Deet is surprised to find the pages are blank. Checking another book reveals that it, too, is blank. The pages are lovely—smooth, creamy paper of the highest quality, entirely unblemished by ink. Every book checked is blank.

Mouse, ever ready with the street value of the potentially-purloined, states that, to the right buyer in a big city, the Deet-sized books would be worth at least ten Guilders. One of the cottage-squashers could be worth a hundred, although it might take awhile to find the right buyer. Mouse has no idea how to get even the smallest book out of the Castle, however, much less down the beanstalk.

GreyWolfVT

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kurt out of ideas just shrugs "I guess we may have to abandon our post if we wish to venture forth and save the princess."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by coil23 »

Horton musters up the energy of a lifetime to project the hurried bluster of a soldier on a mission. He snaps out a quick salute to anyone nearby as the group hurries out of the camp. Horton does his best to make this look like directed action. He throws out some formation instructions over his shoulder to the rest of the party as they are leaving to complete the brilliant ruse. :roll: He finishes with a dramatic flourish for the benefit of any soldiers nearby before they are out of earshot: We will find her, men, and bring her back here safely. Mark my words.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Pulpatoon »

After a week of convalescence and growing unease with life among the Toy Soldiers, you wake one morning to an unaccustomed pattering sound against the tents. Rain! Clouds and mist have crept in, giving the Army Camp a haunted stillness. The marble floor is slick and treacherous with standing water.

With the party feeling well recovered from their bloody encounter with the rats, everyone agrees it is time to depart the Toy Soldiers' company, and agree that the wooden doors on the Northwest wall seem like a good place to resume their explorations.
coil23 wrote:Horton musters up the energy of a lifetime to project the hurried bluster of a soldier on a mission. He snaps out a quick salute to anyone nearby as the group hurries out of the camp. Horton does his best to make this look like directed action. He throws out some formation instructions over his shoulder to the rest of the party as they are leaving to complete the brilliant ruse. :roll: He finishes with a dramatic flourish for the benefit of any soldiers nearby before they are out of earshot: We will find her, men, and bring her back here safely. Mark my words.

mjulius wrote:My feeling on this (if everyone's game) is that we covertly gather furniture and what nots from the large room and construct a rolling box, maybe just a big dresser on wooden wheels. Pile everyone in and pushed by those who've been painted up like soldiers with Beaker leading the way
Is the group headed straight to the doors, or out to the Barricade to look for parts?

Return to “GARGANTUA - Into the Odd”