Chapter 2: The Sinews of War

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Chapter 2: The Sinews of War

#381 Post by mb. »

When one of the hatches of his focus unexpectedly opens, Deet jumps, and backs away, raising his musket. Schroff backs up with him, growling low. Deet keeps his musket trained on the officer's head, waiting for his reply...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#382 Post by Pulpatoon »

I'll go ahead and further investigations and conversation as they come in, but hold off on any mechanics-and-turn-based actions until Wednesday. If this results in too fast a pace, let me know.

The Officer looks to the Princess. "Are you purporting to be the Princess Dormillon? Impossible! She is captured by the perfidious and thrice-damned rats! This is Drosselmeyer's Tower—it would be absurd for the Princess to be here."

Taking in the environs, her spits accusingly at the party, "Where is the Wizard? What have you done with him?"

Four of the soldier are working to hold the hatch they came through shut, and three others are standing poised with swords around it. The rest are arranging themselves strategically around the party. But they are distracted by an unconcealed curiosity about the Princess. One pointedly places himself between Deet's musket and the Officer.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#383 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

any word regarding Flintlock's attempt to dislodge Gluttony? His I ital attempt was to push it towards the abyss, but perhaps on top of the wooden soldiers is best.

With the intrusion of the soldiers, Flintlock's body changes color to match the statue he is near, camouflaging​ himself.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#384 Post by Pulpatoon »

Oh right! Sorry about that. Given that Flintlock's maximum STR is 3, and has been reduced by injury to 2—which would basically be toddler-level—I'm going to say that he doesn't get far trying to dislodge the giant stone statue.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#385 Post by mb. »

Seeing that talking is a possibility, Deet lowers his musket a bit, and Schroff's growl becomes intermittent, "um, sir? There's no wizard here sir, just the Princess." He nods at her, and then gestures at the hatches, "we have a damn hard riddle here sir, but if we pick the right hatch, my guess is we'll find the wizard. He maybe, um, made this riddle to... keep people out?" He shifts from foot to foot, "maybe you could help us solve it? And we can find him together? And ask him what you should do? Sounds like we don't have much time... sir."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#386 Post by coil23 »

Horton nods with deference before leaning over to gently whisper in the princess' ear, we'd best be off immediately, m'lady. If you recall, we are on a mission serving you so no time to answer questions. Trust me- we've seen firsthand how their(the soldiers') judgment gets people around them killed. Announce one of the true hatches and then we'll be off before the soldiers get so brazen as to delay us, yes?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#387 Post by Starbeard »

The Princess once again grows testy and overly formal. "You are mistaken, wooden man, about both ourself and the magician Drosselmeyer. We are the Princess Dormillon, and our father is the King of all Franceland. Gaze upon this royal tiara!"

Calming a bit, she reasons with the officer. "Allow me to explain: on my very wedding to day to the Prince of Bourgeoisia, the magician stole me away to this dismal castle. I had at first thought he intended to wed me himself, but after some clever interrogation I discovered that his true goal is to lure my father's soldiers into the castle, where he can enslave them for his own purposes. He despises rats, and desires an army of his own to conquer them. If you truly believe that the rats have captured your princess, then the magician has duped you utterly; which means that you must be the soldiers sent to rescue me! It saddens me to see that Drosselmeyer is succeeding in his plans! But it may not be too late to foil his nefarious plans. How long have you been cursed, and do you know when the next wave of the King's soldiers are due to arrive?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#388 Post by coil23 »

Horton grinds his teeth while remaining studiously silent with a blank expression. He wonders what the crashing together of naive entitlement and officious incompetence will yield- a floor littered with corpses,indecision, and running in circles while reason, insight, and self-preservation are lost in the wind, no doubt. The librarian waits with baited breath for what the officer will come up with now.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#389 Post by Pulpatoon »

Even before the Princess points to her tiara, several of the soldiers have been taking notice of it and her wand. One of them whispers in the Officer's pine ear.

When the Princess mentions Franceland, the Soldiers, including Splinters and Horton, visibly register sudden recognition and a deep longing.

The Officer to the Princess: "You bear the seals of your post. And your words stir us with... echoes of recollection. Until further confirmation can be achieved, you will be afforded the respect and privileges due a member of the Royal Family."

Stiffly dropping to one knee and lowering his head, he intones with a trilling R, "Yourrrrrrrr Majesty."

Standing up again, he continues, "Major Lieutenant Extraordinary Platinum Bonus Class Grandifolia, presenting. It is my sad duty to report that our current circumstances offer us manifold vexations.

"Vexation the first: We appear to have been betrayed by the Wizard Drosselmeyer, and pulled into a war of his devising for purposes unknown. Further, he has abandoned us to it.

"Vexation the second: The balance of said war having recently been upset by... interlopers, we are now besieged by the Enemy. Our numbers have been depleted—by engagement with the Enemy, by unfortunate mishandling of explosive materials, and by an inexplicable trap in the room below us.

"Vexation the third: Ma'am, I regret to inform you that you have fallen into the company of miscreants and villains. They are oath-breakers, thieves, and murderers. It is very likely that they are in league with our Enemy."

Noting, with a surprised start, the presence of a still oddly-garbed Splinters, he adds, "And yet more, they are corrupters of Youth. What evil sway they might exercise on innocent minds is not to be discounted. Trust not whatever impression they may have made upon your Royal perceptions.

"Ma'am, I beg you put yourself in our protection while we round the bounders up, and put them on immediate trials for their wickedness. In your name, Justice will be swift and decisive."

Rowenn552
Scout
Scout

#390 Post by Rowenn552 »

Basil Day

In the confusion, appearance of the wooden soldiers, and resulting back and forth conversation Basil found himself falling asleep. It lasted mere moments but when he roused he now appeared robed and carrying a staff, his very obvious costume beard hung crooked on his face. He stepped out of a pile of paint chips in sandaled feet and *hrr hhrrm'd*, "I do beg pardon m'lady and m'sirs but if what I've heard his true then wouldn't it be rather prudent to take this argument elsewhere? If the Enemy has managed to push your rather competent looking force back this far and they are still coming then I suggest that we and the Princess meet you all on the other side of that portal yonder? Hm, yes?"

Then bowing veerrry low and making a dramatic show of an old humbled man he adds, "If this does suffice m'lady?", and Basil gives the princess a knowing wink.
I'm not sure if you're taking dice rolls for things but essentially Basil is attempting to persuade these wooden soldiers into attending a meeting on the other side of the portal into space. A meeting with the intention that our group would be following after them; we would not be however. Added the wink bit, just realized I had forgotten that.

Will(19): [1d20] = 18
19 Willpower and still almost didn't make that... sheesh
Last edited by Rowenn552 on Tue May 09, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#391 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Flintlock is confused by the appearance of the old man. Where did that guy come from? And I thought the blackness wasn't safe... He stays camouflaged by the foot of Gluttony, ready to run down one of the portal hatches, in case of trouble.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#392 Post by Starbeard »

The Princess shows no sign of being swayed one way or the other.

"We can assure you, Major Lieutenant, E.P.B.C., that these ruffians in our company are of no threat to us. If Drosselmeyer has played a trick on you, then he has played a trick on them as well, and the two of you on each other. These sweet rapscallions, ill-mannered and uncouth as they appear, have hearts of gold. They have saved me from my cursed slumber, and for that I owe them my gratitude and my trust."

The Princess gives a warm smile to each member of the party in turn, lingering especially on Basil, whose hand she grasps in thanks, and Horton, whom she pats lovingly on the head before giving his bald scalp a gentle kiss. Then she turns back to the Major Lieutenant.

"I would order you to abide by our decision to treat these gentle miscreants as friends and competent advisers, but instead I urge you to find it in all of your hearts to set aside any past differences, for my sake, and for the sake of the kingdom."

"I will, of course," she adds, "remember your exploits to my father, and to the Marshall General, when we return."

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#393 Post by mb. »

Deet's mouth gapes as the Princess speaks, and he stares wide eyed back and forth between her and the officer. Schroff's head swivels in sync, of course. By the end, Deet is leaning on his musket, and apparently can't decide if he should smile or prepare for mayhem. Or maybe take a nap.

He waves his stained hanky at the Princess, "um, should we maybe um?" He nods significantly at the hatches.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#394 Post by Pulpatoon »

mb. wrote:Deet waves his stained hanky at the Princess, "um, should we maybe um?" He nods significantly at the hatches.
Deet notices that something looks different about the hatches. Upon inspecting them a little more closely, he sees that the plaques on them have all changed. They now read:

Lust: Pick Avartia, of course.
Gluttony: Pick Gula or Acedia and be done with it.
Greed: You should have chosen Luxuria before, but now you shouldn’t.
Sloth: Wait, where’s Superbia? What happened?
Wrath: Pick me, or else Invidia, or—by Bastet’s garters, you’re right! Superbia is gone!
Envy: If Gula is wrong, then Luxuria or Avartia must be right.
Pride: Look upon my noble ruin! Smashed by the shit-caked hands of bobolynes and mumblecrusts! They were jealous of my many exquisite qualities—they hated that which exceeded them.
Starbeard wrote:The Princess shows no sign of being swayed one way or the other.

"We can assure you, Major Lieutenant, E.P.B.C., that these ruffians in our company are of no threat to us. If Drosselmeyer has played a trick on you, then he has played a trick on them as well, and the two of you on each other. These sweet rapscallions, ill-mannered and uncouth as they appear, have hearts of gold. They have saved me from my cursed slumber, and for that I owe them my gratitude and my trust."
Major Lieutenant EPBC Grandifolia: "I am sorry to hear that you have fallen under their sway so quickly, and are unable to distinguish Truth and Reason from Base Lies. That being the case, I shall make my duty clear to you—as a member of the royal family, you are to be treated with courtesy, respect, and, so far as possible without contravening loftier command, deference. Further, you are to be protected from harm, no matter the source—even if that source be your own poor judgement. We are not under any obligation to obey you, however, Ma'am, as you are not a member of the military hierarchy."

Except for the four soldier who are holding down the hatch they passed through, the rest of the wooden soldiers respond to a hand-signal from their Officer and draw their weapons.

Grandfolia: "Drop you weapons and allow yourselves to be placed under arrest! Only by coöperating can you expect to earn treatment as civilized prisoners of the Crown. Resist, and you shall be put down as unlawful combatants."

From the deployment of the soldiers, they are not aware of Flintlock's presence by the statue.

Actions!
Next post: Friday morning, around 10am EDT, 2pm GMT (or when I've heard from everyone—whichever comes first)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#395 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Not oiking the uppity tone of the toy soldiers, Flintlock moves sneaks down the length of statues, farthest from his new companions (from your picture, it seems like it would be Envy) and lifts the hatch, hoping for a statue to animate, causing a distraction. He darts back behind the next statue if it does animate and tries to lift a second hatch.

Basically looking to animate one or two statues, preferably the ones nearer to the soldiers, if that makes sense.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#396 Post by mb. »

Schroff catches Flintlock's sneaky move and tugs at Deet's pants leg. They both try as surreptitiously as possible to distance themselves from the opened hatches, and get a clear line of sight on the officer, though the musket's not aimed, yet. "Um, sir officer sir? Don't make this mistake sir. We aided your men, maybe some of them here, against the rats, and we freed the Princess, sir, and we've slain only foul monsters here in the castle. Mostly. Sir." He and Schroff nod around at the soldiers, Deet with an uncertain smile. "We could all be, um, friends? Yup?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#397 Post by coil23 »

Horton gives a withering glare of 'I told you so' to the princess and prepares to choose which hatch to blindly try for.

Rowenn552
Scout
Scout

#398 Post by Rowenn552 »

Basil Day

Strokes of rose paint up Basil's face from an unseen hand at the Princess' grip. He takes in the motion around him and the shared glances of his allies. He has decided he does not like the tone of these soldiers, not one bit, and will bolt for whichever hatch his new and interesting compatriots choose.

Feeling very tense he gives the Princess a little squeeze back, he whispers, "M'lady, I don't think this is going well."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#399 Post by Starbeard »

The Princess throws herself in front of the most number of party members as she can. "Stand behind me, low-born comrades! They may be fools, but they daren't harm their princess!"

She commands the Officer in her most officious tone: "Impudent servant. You force us to place our life at risk, so that if you harm a single one of these poor souls you shall have to harm us as well. We have no doubt but what our King will think of such actions, or your commanding officer, or even the magician Drosselmeyer! If you value your heads and your livelihoods, we suggest you reevaluate your treasonous and seditious proposal."

She eyes him quite threateningly now. "It is clear to us that you are of no help. Nevermind! we shall await the next troop of soldiers to rescue us, whose morals have not yet been tainted by the magician's treason. We only hope that the King has room in his heart to grant you mercy for failing your quest. Leave this room immediately, and us in peace!"

She looks around imperiously, and notes whether anyone in the party has prepared an escape route.
Last edited by Starbeard on Thu May 11, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#400 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Wikerus looks nervously from the princess to the captain as the conversation goes back and forth. He doesn't fancy tussling with these soldiers, but he also will not be taken prisoner willingly. He makes no obvious move, but waits to see how the negotiations will go.

Return to “GARGANTUA - Into the Odd”