Chapter 2: The Sinews of War

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 2: The Sinews of War

#441 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Flintlock​ spits on the ground and crosses arms defiantly.That's a lot of fancy words, Private Poplar Pants. But I ain't taken no money and I ain't no soldier, so your rules is like wet gun powder. They don't hold no water, see? Asides, I'm a metal man, so I outrank you, 20 to one.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#442 Post by Starbeard »

kensanata wrote:Splinter shakes his head vigorously and tries to make himself taller: I did take the king's coin, perhaps. But it was ages ago! I can hardly remember. Can you? Did you see the rags downstairs? Did you see how old everything is? The Wizard turned us from fleshmen into woodmen and this is how we survived all these eons. The services the king paid me for I have long since rendered. And now that I have rescued the princess, I will enter her services as I consider the deed the king has tasked me with done. We have rescued the princess. And with that, my service ends. Who knows whether Francenland still exists? If the king is not made of wood or sleeping in a glass coffin, he is surely dead. And I am a free man of wood, now! And you are, too.
The Princess looks perturbed. "His Majesty dead? Nonsense. Of course he is alive, it can't have been more than a week since I was captured. That detestable wizard must have boiled your brains with his magic as well."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#443 Post by coil23 »

Horton scans the soldiers with a jaundiced eye. You are quick to cover up your former commander's treason with hollow sanctimony. And after all we did for your company... The librarian shakes his wooden head sadly. We can part in peace- leave your threats for someone else. Our duty calls. I suspect we will find greater loyalty from the princess than we did from your troop.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#444 Post by Urson »

Jake

Yeah- thanks for the new leg, but we're done.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#445 Post by Pulpatoon »

The Party exchanges their final words with the company of Wooden Soldiers, who then open the hatch before Gluttony. The statue of Gluttony does not animate. The soldiers descend the stairs into darkness, followed by Shaggy Beaker, Mouse, and Vanis. Just before his head disappears, Shaggy calls to the others, "Give 'em hell, and come back whole!" He rings his bell for emphasis.

The hatch swings shut, and the tower spins again. At this point, the party has their tower-legs, and are able to remain upright throughout the revolution.

The hatches now read:
Lust: Of the paths before you—AH! It's happened again!
Gluttony: More of our brothers! Gone! Consumed by some implacable foe!
Greed: Avartia is departed, to return no more—how bitter the remembrance!
Sloth: What is to done? What hope could we have? All is hatred, loneliness, despair, rage, ruin, and decay!
Wrath: We must be prepared to visit thrundering retribution on our oppressors!
Envy: Why should any of you still live and Invidia lie in ruin? How is that just?
Pride: There is no greater tragedy than this: Noblest Superbia fell first.

Through the closed hatch, the sound of Shaggy's bell diminishes with distance.

The Princess applies her wand to the statue of Gluttony. There is no secret door beneath it.

EDIT: As he left, Shaggy pulled two items out, one from his pocket, one from Vanis'. "Here. You'll need these more than we will. I picked this up from that handsome idiot after he got munched up by that big bloke." He hands over the gavel that Kurt attempted to wield against the Nutcracker Golem. Vanis' item is a strange clockwork device, about the size of kidney pie. "Poor fool never even used it."
Kurt's Arcanum: Gavel of the Unbreakable Seal: One door, window, etc. is sealed until you open it.
Vanis's Arcanum: Phase Key: Phase through a wall or floor with any objects you are carrying.
Actions!
More on Wednesday!

kensanata
Tracker
Tracker

#446 Post by kensanata »

Splinter looks at the inscriptions and hangs his wooden head. Not again! Not again!
I run a blog. I also run a site for campaign wikis. I wrote a face generator, a character generator, a dungeon mapper, a Traveller subsector generator, and a hex map generator (editable as text).

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#447 Post by coil23 »

So how many players and how many characters are we down to now?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#448 Post by Pulpatoon »

The Quorum, as of present:
Deet & Schroff: mb.
Horton Portencium: coil23
Jake Speed: Urson
Wikerus Blume: ChubbyPixie
Flintlock MacAbee: Rusty Tincanne
Splinters: kensanata
Princess Dormillon: Starbeard

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#449 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Did Rowen step out of the game? I thought we still head our fair thespian, Basil Day.

Rowenn552
Scout
Scout

#450 Post by Rowenn552 »

Sorry about that I'm still here. Work and home stuff (especially weekends) have been crazy busy though.
Last edited by Rowenn552 on Tue May 23, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#451 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Wikerus, from within the boat, dips his head awkwardly in the huge helmet and looks after the party members who depart, a pang of sadness coming over him. "Um... could someone give me a little push?" he says after a moment.

Rowenn552
Scout
Scout

#452 Post by Rowenn552 »

Basil Day watches the soldiers leave, shrugs and gives wikerus a push, then joins the Princess and the large metal man by the statue of Gluttony to see what this magnificent wand does to the statue.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#453 Post by mb. »

Deet inspects the hatches, sighs, and rubs his fists over his face, "oh dear oh dear oh dear..." He looks around at everyone, "the texts don't even make sense any more. What do we do now?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#454 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Flintlock smiles wickedly. Good point. Let's push these statues into the blackness now.
Then we can poke around the room more. Or we could do it the other way around if you like.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#455 Post by Pulpatoon »

Rowenn552 wrote:Sorry about that I'm still here. Work and home stuff (especially weekends) have been crazy busy though.
Apologies for leaving Basil Day off the list!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#456 Post by Starbeard »

The Princess taps her wand to her chin while lost in thought, causing her head to flicker in and out of visibility. "Each of these hatches appears to be a trap, and none of their labels are trustworthy. Yes, let us toss these statues into the abyss! Perhaps the answer to this riddle is to eradicate it." She takes a seat and waits for the statues to be disposed.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#457 Post by Pulpatoon »

If the party decides to dispose of the statues, please describe the plan, and who is going to be helping.

Also, lease let me know who, if anyone, took the arcana offered by Shaggy before he left. If memory serves, Deet, Splinters, and the Princess all have arcana, and Flintlock and Basil have arcana-like powers.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#458 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Flintlock is happy to take an arcane item. He's greedy like that. But since he is new to the group, I am not having him claim anything. Unless folks say it is okay. He likes the gavel because it is like the maul, but smaller.

I don't think the Princess has tried the wand on the hatches since the most recent spinning. She tested the Gluttony looking for a separate exit hatch. It would probably behoove us to check the hatches again before trying to move the large statues that have been predetermined to (probably) injure us.

Flintlock pushes on one of the statues again with his hands. He comes close to a hernia, but has no success moving any stone.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#459 Post by Urson »

Jake

If no one minds, that clockwork gadget looks interesting. Mind if I have it?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

kensanata
Tracker
Tracker

#460 Post by kensanata »

Splinter goes to the boat and says to Wikerus, Hm, how are you going to come back in? Do you want a rope? Or do you want a strong push in order to cross the void between the stars?
I run a blog. I also run a site for campaign wikis. I wrote a face generator, a character generator, a dungeon mapper, a Traveller subsector generator, and a hex map generator (editable as text).

Return to “GARGANTUA - Into the Odd”