Chapter 2: The Sinews of War

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 2: The Sinews of War

#461 Post by Starbeard »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:I don't think the Princess has tried the wand on the hatches since the most recent spinning. She tested the Gluttony looking for a separate exit hatch. It would probably behoove us to check the hatches again before trying to move the large statues that have been predetermined to (probably) injure us.
Good thinking.

The Princess checks the hatches again with her wand.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#462 Post by coil23 »

Horton speaks up before the star voyage commences, yes, yes, how will you return? Do we have rope to pull you back? I wouldn't count on you being able to steer on your own.

And Flintlock, why don't you take that gavel? It may come in handy later and your hands seem capable.

Wait a minute...isn't the void portal a stretched tapestry on the wall?

I fear how we might hurt ourselves trying to haul these statues over to the void. What if we bring the void to them? Before Wickerus goes on his journey we could hold up the tapestry in front of each statue...or better yet, lay it down on the floor in front of each and then just push and let it fall into the void.

Rowenn552
Scout
Scout

#463 Post by Rowenn552 »

Oh right the whole wall was black but I thought it was just painted black. Then there was the white panel that turned like vantablack or something.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#464 Post by Pulpatoon »

Flintlock takes possession of the Gavel of the Unbreakable Seal, and Jake takes the Phase Key.

The Princess
reveals that there are spiked pits beneath all of the hatches except for Lust, which opens on stairs leading down to the second floor of the Tower.

Horton detaches the black panel from the wall. It is a tricky operation, as one side of the two-dimensional surface is not actually there, and his wooden hands keep slipping through into the darkness. When he extracts them, they are covered in frost. He feels no particular discomfort from this, and eventually works out a manner of pinching the material from the back and dragging it where he wants it to go.

Spreading the portal out before one of the statues (which one?), the party prepares to tip the stone Sins in.

Statue-Tipping Mini-Game
It's a group-effort. It will take a combined STR of 30 to tip a statue.
The character with the highest STR in the group must roll against their DEX to guide the statue properly. Failure risks damage to a number of the people trying to tip it, as the statue falls in an unguided way.

Party STR:
Deet 7
Horton Portencium 14 11
Jake Speed 14
Wikerus Blume 12
Flintlock MacAbee 3
Splinters 10
Princess Dormillon 7
Basil Day 2

Actions!
More on Friday!

kensanata
Tracker
Tracker

#465 Post by kensanata »

Splinter volunteers for pushing but doesn't take the lead.
I run a blog. I also run a site for campaign wikis. I wrote a face generator, a character generator, a dungeon mapper, a Traveller subsector generator, and a hex map generator (editable as text).

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#466 Post by Starbeard »

Princess Dormillon will be happy to watch and let them know if they start tipping it the wrong way.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#467 Post by Urson »

Jake looks around, then braces himself to push. OK, everybody! 1...2...3....HEAVE!

Dex: 16 dex [1d20] = 13
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Rowenn552
Scout
Scout

#468 Post by Rowenn552 »

Basil Day

"Ah yes well... I was never cut out for the hard labors but here goes.", the old man that Basil has taken the appearance of sets his staff down and spits a stream of colored paint chips into his hands. He slaps them together and gets ready to help lift... a rush of purplish paint strokes up his face from the (very dramatic) strain he puts forth.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#469 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Flintlock jumps up and down excitedly as the moment of statue-tipping nears. He leans into the statue again, adding his minimal strength to the task.

Jake (14), Basil (2), Flintlock (3) = 19
11 more needed.

Flintlock greedily snatches up the gavel, as offered. Let me know if someone else wants it.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#470 Post by coil23 »

What if we get enough people involved to be well over the value of 30, thus allowing us to better guide it since no one is needing to strain as much?

Jake, Basil, Flintlock, Horton, Wickerus, and Splinters = 52 combined strength

With that can we dismiss the Dex check need altogether or get a bonus on it?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#471 Post by Pulpatoon »

At a certain point, people are getting in each other's way.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#472 Post by mb. »

Deet watches from a safe distance, wringing his hands, "um, couldn't we open a hatch and all attack the statue together, and wouldn't that be easier, and anyway, what about the hatches?" Schroff woofs, underlining his master's concerns.

Rowenn552
Scout
Scout

#473 Post by Rowenn552 »

Basil Day

"Hhhhhrrrrrkkkk sirrr... sir Horton was it? Uuurk would you hhhh be so kind as to rrrrrrkkkk lend us a wooden hand?"

With Horton's assistance that should make 30 and the Dexterity roll was successful I think right?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#474 Post by coil23 »

Horton steps in and helps with the task.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#475 Post by Pulpatoon »

Jake, weakly assisted by Flintlock and Basil Day, strain against the statue of let's say... Gluttony, but are unable to move it until Horton joins them. As the statue tips, Jake guides it safely. The massive weight of stone tumbles through the black portal, and disappears.

Flintlock and Basil, who posses the comparative strength of human toddlers, have exhausted themselves, and have to beg off future tipping.

If Jake and Horton are joined by third party member of reasonable strength, Jake could just run a series of DEX checks for however many statues the party cares to dispose in this manner.

Once the huffing and puffing is over, the quiet and dark of the empty tower presses in on the party. They have two known exits from the Tower: a stairway leading down to an Army they have recently severed ties with, and a portal they have taken to chucking their adversaries through. They have enough food and supplies to last several days, but they cannot stay in this Tower room forever.

Actions!
More on Monday!

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#476 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Oh, all right. I'll tip some statues into the void," says Wikerus as he flops his way over in his new, oversized space suit. "If these statues were even a slight bit less malicious and unpredictable, I'd call it a shame, disposing of such fine craftsmanship. But things being as they are, I am happy to help topple them netherwards." He puts his shoulder into it and heaves with the others. Noting Horton's frosty digits he says "Hmmm... cold out there is it?" When he has a moment, he'll inspect the suit to see whether it seems protection against extreme temperatures...

Rowenn552
Scout
Scout

#477 Post by Rowenn552 »

Basil Day

Basil takes a seat on the dais where Gluttony formerly rested and exhales loudly wiping his forehead and smearing colors together into a brownish mess. With chest dramatically heaving he says to Flintlock, "Well if the stage doesn't work out we would make for fine hands!", he laughs and then promptly falls asleep.

The colors begin slowly swirling about him hardening into a shell.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#478 Post by coil23 »

Horton ponders the options before the group. I am not confident that the fools downstairs would let us pass by them peaceably. They might...or they might grab us as prisoners again, leaving the princess alone. I would rather have another option. Since this wooden farce of a body I am in can withstand the cold better than flesh, we could tie a rope around me and I could go through the portal to see if there is any egress through that void. I can jerk on the tether twice when I need to be pulled back in- assuming there will be time to save me. Any thoughts?

Horton will help with pushing more statues into the void if that is the consensus but would rather hold off in case the group decides to go that route themselves. What if the statues awaken in the void?

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#479 Post by mb. »

Deet scratches his chin, "um, we can ignore the statues if we don't open any more nasty hatches, can't we?"

He shrugs and approaches Horton, pulling a rope out of his pack, Schroff trotting at his heels. He nods at Horton and begins tying the rope around his waist.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#480 Post by Starbeard »

"A fine idea, but do be careful," Princess Dormillon says to Horton.

She excuses herself to walk the circumference of the room, touching her wand to the wall every few steps to see if any secret passages might be revealed.

Return to “GARGANTUA - Into the Odd”