Whispered Asides and Backroom Squabbles: OOC

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Whispered Asides and Backroom Squabbles: OOC

#181 Post by Urson »

Ok, just a quick note: I will be out of contact from Friday the 31 to Monday April 3. That weekend is Whos-Yer-Con in Indianapolis. I'll post a short after-action report when I get back. If you need to NPC Jake for that weekend, go ahead.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Pulpatoon »

I'm looking forward to your report!

kensanata
Tracker
Tracker

#183 Post by kensanata »

How easy is it to reload a musket? Is it going to be one shot per fight, one shot every two rounds, or anything like that? My personal interpretation would be that muskets are fired just once in close quarters. Next up is the bayonet charge. Or the stabbing with forks.
I run a blog. I also run a site for campaign wikis. I wrote a face generator, a character generator, a dungeon mapper, a Traveller subsector generator, and a hex map generator (editable as text).

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#184 Post by GreyWolfVT »

You know Pulpatoon this recent action just gives a whole new meaning to "Another one bites the dust." well it was good while it lasted gonna just let the nutcracker kill me off entirely ... no action is taken by kurt...
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by Pulpatoon »

My gut is that a musket would take a round to reload, but there's nothing in the rules as written, and ItO's combat rounds are pretty abstract, so I'm going to say that you can deliver a shot per round.

Which brings up the issue of ammo.

Whaddaya say we try out the Ammo-die scheme?

We'll say an average supply of ammo is worth a d6. Doubling or tripling your ammo supply gets you a bigger die.

Every time you end a combat situation in which you discharged your firearm, roll yer ammo die. On a result of 1, reduce your die size. d10 -> d8 -> d6 -> d4 -> out of ammo.

Unless you have specifically listed "extra ammo" on your inventory, your ammo die is a d6.

Sound good?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by Pulpatoon »

Suicide by Nutcracker, GreyWolf?!

Do you want to roll up a new character, or are you looking to retire from the game?

kensanata
Tracker
Tracker

#187 Post by kensanata »

I'm not sure sure how I feel about ammo. It depends on the kind of game we play. If there is plenty of opportunity to refill then tracking it is pointless. In my B/X games people return to town or encounter arrow shooting enemies all the time so I stopped tracking ammo. The alternative here is a game where every shot is precious, Resident Evil style, in which case tracking those precious shots would be more appropriate, a bit like scrolls. But then again, perhaps items that only get used a limited number of times should be more powerful. Long story short: using an ammo die is ok, I don't really mind either way, but I'm not a fan.
I run a blog. I also run a site for campaign wikis. I wrote a face generator, a character generator, a dungeon mapper, a Traveller subsector generator, and a hex map generator (editable as text).

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Pulpatoon »

Splinters was equipped from the Wooden Army camp, so it seems fair to assume that the Wooden Soldiers have musket shot—although the party has seen no sign of any Wooden Soldiers other than Splinters so armed. So the Bivouac could be a source of ammo, or not. In either case, it is more than likely that the party will have strained relations with the Soldiers after their violent exit.

There is presumably ammo at the bottom of the beanstalk, in the village of Ballyjack. But that's getting harder to reach, the deeper you go into the Castle.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for foraging ammo along the way.

So, ammo is a finite and dwindling resource.

But ItO is not a resource-tracking game. The game hand-waves away things like tracking torches and rations, with a quick "You got that stuff." Ammo is never mentioned. This suits me just fine, as it's all I can do to remember to track HP, and I still screw that up as often as not.

Rules-as-written, I guess a gun can fire infinitely. This may not be so big a deal. My first vision was of Splinters firing d8 after d8 of damage from his sniper-spot, which seemed too powerful. But combat tends to be pretty short in ItO (as poor Hans can attest). Several others are armed with rifles, and they haven't become combat-panaceas.

Here's some options:
1. Ignore ammo.
2. Ammo dice.
3. Track actual ammo usage (BOOOO).
4. Running out of ammo is a possible fumble-condition.
5. Ignore ammo, but make firearms take a round to reload.

Number 5 might be my favorite. Nothing to track, and it encourages "fire your gun and draw your sword" behavior, which is very flavorful for the flintlock-era.

But, given that there hasn't been a problem, perhaps we don't need a solution. I'm happy to go along as we are, and then revisit this list should we feel the issue needs addressing.

Lastly there's the dreaded GM fiat. If you guys spend long enough in the dark without resupply, I'll just announce at some point that you're low on torches, or water, or toilet paper. And I could do that for ammo, too.

GreyWolfVT

#189 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pulpatoon wrote:Suicide by Nutcracker, GreyWolf?!

Do you want to roll up a new character, or are you looking to retire from the game?
well at this juncture I think I'll retire my good man. Though I must admit it was a wicked ride Pulpatoon :D
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#190 Post by coil23 »

Horton would just like to add puzzlement at how the soldiers would have any rancor if the party were to return. There was a violent incident that unfortunately took two of the soldiers' lives. As you can plainly see on Horton's torso, he too briefly fell victim to the mysterious assailants. (They attacked from behind but struck his front. It was fantastic and frightening.) It would behoove everyone to find out who or what attacked the camp on the flank while the rats were attacking on another front. And the soldiers could perhaps explain how something could sneak past this giant nutcracker to attack the camp from this side. Yes, that information might go a long ways to unveiling their common enemy.

Just wanted to throw that in. ;)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by Pulpatoon »

Never too early to start honing a good alibi.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by Pulpatoon »

GreyWolfVT wrote:well at this juncture I think I'll retire my good man. Though I must admit it was a wicked ride Pulpatoon :D
Via con Crom, GreyWolf.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#193 Post by mb. »

As the other noisy cloud of smoke producer in the party, I'd favour number 5 as well. No thanks with tracking anything, but a round to load a flintlock (if you know what you're doing, otherwise it just became a short staff) sounds reasonable.

GreyWolfVT

#194 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pulpatoon wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:well at this juncture I think I'll retire my good man. Though I must admit it was a wicked ride Pulpatoon :D
Via con Crom, GreyWolf.

I guess Kurt, Will & Hans via con Crom

I however will be around still ;)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by Pulpatoon »

With the recent departure of Mjulius and GreyWolf, we're down to 4 regularly-updating players. I've pm'd Stirling and Wizard Lizard to see if they are still following the game.

Four is a perfectly cromulent number of players, but I put it to you: would you like to open this game up to active recruitment? Would you like to take on a second character, if you don't already have one? Do you have anyone, either on this board or off it that you would especially like to see subjected to the dark pleasures of CASTLE GARGANTUA?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by ChubbyPixie »

I'm open to open recruitment, or whatever you think is best. I honestly would have trouble running another character.... unless, it were something simple, like an animal, or a mute, clockwork automaton.

Wizard Lizard
Scout
Scout

#197 Post by Wizard Lizard »

Hey, I'm terribly sorry for not taking the time to come and check out the game for so long, it seems my schedule got the better of me. Maybe I'll try and get back into posting regularly when I have my diploma (which, hopefully, should be in a few months) but as for now, I'm going to have to drop out. Please feel free to murderize Vanis or keep NPCing him as needed; I've not held my side of the posting schedule deal so I don't really think I should have a say in it. :oops:

I wish you guys good luck with the Castle's grotesques inhabitants, may your damage roll high and your saving throws never falter.

-Wiz

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by Pulpatoon »

Good luck with the diploma, Wizard Lizard! You'll be welcome back with open arms whenever you choose to return!

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by Pulpatoon »

Two new updates in the rules thread, codifying things we've been discussing here.

ON THE PROPER USE OF FIREARMS

THE SCOPE OF AGENCY IN A CRUEL AND CAPRICIOUS WORLD

GreyWolfVT

#200 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Well heck the end of Kurt and Hans really bites (pun intended) but it appears the truth is that now they are all dust in the wind... or gummy human mashed flesh in a giant nutcracker mouth I guess if you want to get literal and graphic...

Return to “GARGANTUA - Into the Odd”