It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:08 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:23 am
Posts: 1136
Jake
Jake is about to attack one of the pirates when he remembers the gadget he picked up a while back- the Portal Key. He quickly uses it to open a portal in the wall to allow himself and the other party members to pass through into the room. Have fun with the Eld!

_________________
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:24 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:35 pm
Posts: 4066
Flintlock attempts to throw off his captors, grunting and pulling as the pull him to the portal. The pirates pick Flintlock up—one on each arm and one on the legs, and they swing him back and forth like a cradle, building momentum for a really good toss. The metal man goes sailing into the supernatural darkness, where he collides with Horton. Horton grabs ahold of Flintlock: "I've got you!" he says, his voice oddly muted in the vast emptiness. Together, they slowly somersault, the portal growing ever more distant.

Things are looking dire for this pair. While Horton had been just a hair past reaching distance, they've now been knocked considerably farther, and will only continue to drift away. In a round or two, they will be considered lost.

Wikerus, meanwhile, is shocked to discover his lame attempt at deception caused the pirates to drop their hold on him. They look at each other with a blank expression for a half second before they realize their mistake, and move to recapture their prisoner.

Flintlock STR (3): [1d20] = 11

Wikerus WIL(16): [1d20] = 13
I won't always let this work, but what the hell, it worked this time.


Jake uses his Key to open a door through the wall from the hallway to the Portal Room. The remainder of the party can now bypass the two pirates blocking the door, and engage the six pirates inside the room, if they wish.

Actions!
More on Friday!

_________________
Master of Game, Architect of Adventure, Domineering Hand of Dread Consequence, GARGANTUA, (Into the Odd)
Salt Peter, sailor, The North Spine Campaign (LL)
Jiminy Gurglesquelch, shoggoth, Tales of the Gam'A Zone (Mutant Future)
Abijah Dun, warrior, The Monastery at Dimwater (1ed)
Coat-of-Nine-Hides, beast-master, A Company of Corpses (B/X)
Brother Dumphey, cleric, A Company of Corpses (B/X)

WEBCOMIC!==>>The Mummy's Sabbatical
Gaming blog==>> An Abominable Fancy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:58 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:23 am
Posts: 1136
Jake

IF he can't attack this round, he will next.

Jake charges, walloping the nearest of the pirates with his maul. Get a rope through that hole!

maul[1d8] = 5

_________________
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:07 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:07 pm
Posts: 3511
Location: Ithaca, NY
I'm having images of the Illustrated Man, with Horton and Flintlock sailing through space together, eventually sailing into a star or being incinerated in some atmosphere.

Flintock takes a moment to look around and finds the void beautiful. He smiles at Horton and pushes off with all his (puny) strength, aiming Horton towards the portal and himself deeper into the void. See you later!

This has been great fun! I am hoping for an equal and opposite reaction-reaction. Perhaps A DEX check for targeting? Maybe Horton has a water bottle he can use as a thruster for adjusting the trajectory.

And maybe Flintock will get luck and end up in the tower again. :) (With a bunch of frozen pirates...)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:13 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2249
Ha! I can't believe they fell for the oldest trick in the book! :)

Wikerus uses their hesitation to his advantage and lashes out with the blunt end of his axe, aiming for the kneecap of one of the rascals.
Axe Attack!: [1d6] = 5

Over their heads he watches Flintlock sail into the void. A rope! Why didn't I bring a rope! Always bring a rope! he thinks.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:18 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:09 am
Posts: 2814
Location: England
The Princess charges into the Portal Room shouting, "Scallywags," "Ne'er-do-wells," and, "Loathsome criminal types!"

She rushes an unoccupied pirate and attempts to push him through the portal into the depths of the Cosmos.

STR and DEX rolls, if/when needed:
url=http://www.unseenservant.com/default.asp?do=showone&id=127804&macid=0]STR (7): [1d20] = 20, DEX (13): [1d20] = 17[/url]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:47 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:35 pm
Posts: 4066
Grappling Thoughts:
Chris McDowall, author of Into the Odd, has put this forward as the approach to grappling:
Quote:
It's an unarmed attack (d4) but the target has to pass a STR Save if they want to disengage from the grapple. While you're grappled you can only fight unarmed or with knife-sized weapons.

I guess we would conclude that an attempt to pin someone or knock them into a portal is what happens as a Critical Damage result from grappling. How does that sit with everyone?

So it looks something this:
• If you want to grapple someone, simply announce that you're grappling them, and they are grappled.
• State what condition you hope to impose on them (restrained, prone, pushed, etc.).
• Roll d4 for damage. If you get a Crit Damage on them, the condition is achieved.
• The target, on their turn, can either continue to grapple, rolling their own d4 for damage and announcing what they're trying to do to you, or they can roll STR to break free.

Looking at this, the perhaps-obvious point occurs to me: Crit Damage can be interpreted as "accomplishing what you most want to impose on an opponent." The default setting for Crit Damage is "Unconscious and Dying." But whenever you want to do something else, like knock someone out, or disarm them, you're still seeking Crit Damage.

I guess I kinda knew this. It's how a lot of monster effects work in ItO: If you're an squid that is trying to swallow someone whole, that happens on Crit Damage. But I hadn't glommed onto its broader application.


Let's you and him fight:
The Princess pushes. [1d4] = 4
Pirates Crit Save: [1d20] = 16 Failed!
Wikerus axes. Axe Attack!: [1d6] = 5
Pirates Crit Save: [1d20] = 5 Success.
Jake mauls. maul[1d8] = 5
Pirates Crit Save: [1d20] = 5 Success.
Splinters and Deet fire upon the two pirates in the hallway (they being the clearest targets).
[1d8] = 4
[1d8] = 6
Pirates Crit Save: [1d20] = 1 Success.

Pirates attack!
Pirate 2: (Wikerus)[1d6] = 5
Pirate 3: (Wikerus)[1d6] = 5
Total Damage: 5
Wikerus STR is reduced to 7. Crit Dmage check: [1d20] = 17 Passed!

Pirate 4: (Jake) [1d6] = 6
Pirate 5: (Jake) [1d6] = 3
Total: 6
Jake STR reduced to 7. Crit Damage check: [1d20] = 5 Passed!

Pirate 6: (Princess) [1d6] = 3
Princess STR reduced to 1! Crit Damage check: [1d20] = 15 Failed!

Pirate 7: (Splinters) [1d6] = 5
Splinters STR reduced to 8. Crit Damage check: [1d20] = 4

Pirate 8: (Deet) [1d6] = 2
Deet STR reduced to 4. Crit Damage check: [1d20] = 20 Failed!


The party and the pirates come together in a terrible clash! The Princess leads the charge, barreling into a pirate reaching for Wikerus, and knocking him, tail over teacups, into the portal void. Wikerus' axe bites into a pirate's leg, and Jake clocks another with his maul.

Outside, in the hallway, Deet and Splinter's muskets discharge as they fire on the two pirates blocking the door.

But the pirates give as good as they get. With flashing cutlasses, they strike each member of the party. The previously-wounded Deet and Princess both fall to the ground. Jake, Wikerus, and Splinters are bloodied, but remain standing.

Out in the Void, Flintlock heroically sacrifices himself in order to fling Horton back into the light. Horton tumbles back into the Portal Room, narrowly avoiding a collision with the Princess-pushed pirate. He finds himself in a room full of angry pirates and badly wounded compatriots.

Flintlock continues to sail, off into the darkness.

Actions!
More on Monday!

_________________
Master of Game, Architect of Adventure, Domineering Hand of Dread Consequence, GARGANTUA, (Into the Odd)
Salt Peter, sailor, The North Spine Campaign (LL)
Jiminy Gurglesquelch, shoggoth, Tales of the Gam'A Zone (Mutant Future)
Abijah Dun, warrior, The Monastery at Dimwater (1ed)
Coat-of-Nine-Hides, beast-master, A Company of Corpses (B/X)
Brother Dumphey, cleric, A Company of Corpses (B/X)

WEBCOMIC!==>>The Mummy's Sabbatical
Gaming blog==>> An Abominable Fancy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:02 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:07 pm
Posts: 3511
Location: Ithaca, NY
Flintlock takes one last look at the portal, waving goodbye to that sorry lot of fools. Not Al bad, he supposed, but too moral to have any real fun. He looks ahead, waiting for the next portal curtain to pass through.


Several weeks later, a diminutive, metal man marvels at a supernova and narrowly misses a collision with a defunct NASA probe.

Fun game. Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:00 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 am
Posts: 2481
Horton is struck by the sacrifice of his companion. Desperately, he grabs the nearest pirate by the arm and tries to swing him into the void. If we can dispatch these cretins quickly enough, I can be launched back out to retrieve Flintlock.

[1d6] = 3


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:40 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2249
Wikerus, waning in strength and feeling desperate, tries beaning the pirate that rudely attacked the princess. She's royalty...
Axe Attack!: [1d6] = 2

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:17 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:35 pm
Posts: 4066
Wikerus Axe Attack!: [1d6] = 2 Pirate Crit check: [1d20] = 12 Failed.
Horton [1d6] = 3 Crit check: [1d20] = 8 Failed.
Jake's Maul: [1d8] = 2
Pirate 1 (Wikerus) [1d6] = 4 STR: 3. Crit check: [1d20] = 7 Failed.
Pirate 2 (Jake) [1d6] = 3 STR: 4. Crit Check: [1d20] = 16 Failed.
Pirate 3 (mirror Splinters)
Pirate 4 (mirror Splinters)
Pirate 5 (Splinters) [1d6] = 6 STR: 2. Crit Check: [1d20] = 13


Wikerus leaps to the fallen Princess' aid, knocking her attacker to the ground. A pirate cruelly strikes him from behind, and Wikerus drops to the ground next to the Princess, an arm draped over her still form, protecting her even in after consciousness has fled.

Splinters reaches over his shoulder and pulls a string, activating his Mirror Engine. Suddenly the hallway and portal room are filled with images of the Wooden Boy, distracting the pirates while the real Splinters hurriedly reloads. Two pirates fling themselves upon illusions, but one happens to strike the genuine article. With a soft crunch, Splinters is knocked out mid-reload, spilling his gunpowder and shot.

Jake attacks a pirate, narrowly missing and smashing a fist-sized chunk out of the wall with his maul. The pirate returns the blow, catching Jake in the stomach. He falls, bleeding.

Horton tumbles back through the portal, sword swinging. He catches a pirate behind the neck and uses his momentum to fling the pirate into the Void before his painted boots even hit the floor. It is a singularly dashing moment for the former librarian.

Unfortunately, the only audience to his daring do are three deeply pissed-off pirates. His compatriots litter the sandstone floor.

Jakes' portal to the hallway winks out of existence. Through the still-open door to the hall, however, Horton sees flashes of blue light, and the sudden smell of a lightening-strike. The two pirates in the hall drop in twisted heaps, as Eld rush down the hall.

Looking into the portal room, an impossibly slender Eld in cucumber-and-rose armor calls out in a language Horton can now understand: "Drop your weapons and cease hostilities! Surrender yourselves or face immediate correction!" The Eld carries a short baton that crackles with blue sparks.

ACTION (singular)!
More on Friday!

_________________
Master of Game, Architect of Adventure, Domineering Hand of Dread Consequence, GARGANTUA, (Into the Odd)
Salt Peter, sailor, The North Spine Campaign (LL)
Jiminy Gurglesquelch, shoggoth, Tales of the Gam'A Zone (Mutant Future)
Abijah Dun, warrior, The Monastery at Dimwater (1ed)
Coat-of-Nine-Hides, beast-master, A Company of Corpses (B/X)
Brother Dumphey, cleric, A Company of Corpses (B/X)

WEBCOMIC!==>>The Mummy's Sabbatical
Gaming blog==>> An Abominable Fancy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:39 pm 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:23 am
Posts: 1136
Jake

The overly-bold teen coughs in pain, too busy trying to press a hand to his wound to do much else.

_________________
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:11 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 am
Posts: 2481
Cucumber-and-rose armor: how dreamy! I simply must have some!

Horton raises his hands in surrender. Gladly. These monsters have destroyed my party. They barely have the patience to set the bait before they are tripping over themselves in their rush to betray. Quickly, will you help me retrieve my compatriot thrown into the void here? Please! Tie a rope to me and throw me toward him. Once I grab him you can pull us back in.

Horton, with hands raised and meek expression in place, takes a sidestep to be sure he isn't too close to any of the pissed off trio or too close to the portal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:52 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2249
Wikerus twitches. In a recurring nightmare he won't remember (especially if he doesn't survive) he is once again late for stone-cutting class. It's more of a memory, really.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group