Chapter 3: The Glittering Tower

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3: The Glittering Tower

#141 Post by Pulpatoon »

The remoras confer with each other, trying to piece together enough words to convey a coherent thought. "Door goink to... home. Water-home at... home for water-home, yes?" One extends his arms outward, as though cradling something large, and rocks it back and forth, slowly. "Mens. And god-man." They raise their arms up high, indicating great height. "God-man very very very... good. And money. He hearingk you killink with night sky, wantink meetink you. Money? Money for you?"

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Pulpatoon »

Assuming Starbeard doesn't mind: The Princess' wand reveals a sea-tunnel cove. A graceful, beautifully crafted, single-masted, 90 foot galley is moored here along a slick, narrow rock jetty. The desultory waves of low-tide lap at the sides of the tunnel. Several pirates lounge or tend to maritime chores around the jetty and on the boat. Several are armed, but do not appear particularly on-guard.

The remoras, startled by the sudden invisibility of the door, attempt to walk through it. They fall back, rubbing their fishy foreheads.

Opening the door will require a successful STR check, should that be of interest.

Actions!
More on Friday!

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#144 Post by mb. »

Deet lets out a heavy breath, and wipes his forehead, "ah, good friends, water but not underwater. Good good yup yup." He pats one of the fishermen lightly on the shoulder, and looks around for his beefiest companion...

Raising a brow at the fishermen, he asks, "um, the, ah, men there," pointing at the pirates, "also friends, to, ah, us? Yup? Yup?" pointing back at himself and companions.

Schroff adorably swivels his head, following his master's conversation. Deet surreptitiously wipes his hand on the back of his shirt.
Last edited by mb. on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#145 Post by coil23 »

Hold on a second. Those look like they're from the same group that attacked us. So this is the trap? Horton stares at the remoras suspiciously.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Pulpatoon »

The remoras puzzle over how to best answer you in their limited fluency: "Men of us lookink for money-things in place of Eld. Eld very danger. Men lookink to fight, findink you. Now, Ondrj askink you, come to him, talkink. Not sendink very men with very weapons. Sendink we. Talkink, yes?"

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#147 Post by mb. »

Deet nods cheerfully at the fishymen, then turns and shrugs at his companions, and steps back to let the strongest among them try the door. Schroff keeps watchful eyes on the fishymen.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#148 Post by coil23 »

Horton nods, satisfied enough with the answer to proceed with the plan though he's not sure exactly what he was hoping they'd say. He will help with the door as needed.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

The not-so-clever-Flintlock is satisfied with the answer of the fishmen, but he does begin to wonder, What's an Eld? I thought that were the wizard.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Starbeard »

The Princess examines the sailing vessel through the invisible door. "They do not look the sort to keep a comfortable ship. I would very much like to rest myself in a proper chair before too long. At the very least we can appreciate that this pirate captain recognizes prefers colloquium and remonstration to skulking and skulduggery."

She steps back and waits for those more physical than her to open the door.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Urson »

Jake

The young man steps up, bracing himself and attempting to force the door open.

ST: 14 [1d20] = 13
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Pulpatoon »

Jake pries the door open, with a loud groan from both door and man.

The pirates in the vicinity of the door look up and watch the company enter the cove. Most look curious, a few look hostile.

The smell of the sea is strong here, and curiously sweet—almost citrusy.

The remoras lead you along the slick stones of the jetty, walking nearer you and with greater confidence now that they are surrounded by their fellows. The usher you up to the ship on a gangplank, and back to the aft-deck.

Piled on the deck are heaps of plush pillows covered in rich fabrics. Seated upon them is a tall, muscular man in a high-browed hat, silk pantaloons, and a doublet opened to reveal a broad expanse of grey-skinned chest. He has the face and toothy maw of a shark.

Before the man sits an elaborate silver samovar and a crystal decanter filled with something red and purple.

The shark man stares at you with expressionless black eyes, his body taunt with some unspoken tension.

The remoras ooze up to the man, addressing him in a language you do not recognize, and then tucking themselves up against either side of his chest, where they noisily nuzzle in.

"Come," rasps the shark-man, "Take a drink with me. I grow bored and weary from my long voyages, and would hear how you have taught the night sky to kill." His tone and pitch sound are calm and polite, but the stirring of his muscles give the impression that it is taking every ounce of his self-control not to fling himself upon you and eat you where you stand. "Would you take tea? Wine?" His scaly hands indicate an array of delicate crystal cups set in silver holders. "I am Ondrj, captain of this vessel, and master of these... men. I apologize for any difficulties you have had with them, and thank you for helping dim their enthusiasm for uncoordinated rapine and plunder. Sit and tell me of yourselves, and let us see what we can do for one another." One hand gesticulates elegantly as he speaks, while the other grips the fabric of a pillow tightly enough to tear its brocade.

Actions!
More on Monday!

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#153 Post by coil23 »

Horton is uncomfortable with this situation but sees no way out of it at this point that won't invite hostilities. But one precaution they can take is to present the wood closer to the shark than the flesh. With that he makes to have a seat first that is close to the shark and casually gestures to the flesh and blood members of our crew to sit in such a way as to be further away with Horton (and Splinter?) in between.

Once seated, the librarian bows his head in deference to the shark. It is dark magic indeed, sir. I shudder to think it was needed at all considering the fate to which it consigns its victims and I pray it will not be needed again. 'Tis lucky it performs only by our commands for in the hands of the wicked or the foolish it would be... Horton just shakes his head in sorrow, unwilling to finish that thought.

The ones who attacked us, what can you tell us of them? What is your group's relationship with them? And these strange white apes, what can you tell us of those exotic creatures, sir?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by Urson »

Jake

Jake settles himself, ignoring Horton's caution. Thank you, Captain. May I have a glass of wine, please? He meets the SharkMan's eyes, full of youthful confidence.

Jake's gonna die.....
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by Pulpatoon »

When Jake addresses him, Ondrj's shoulders spasm in an arrested lunge, his teeth clamping shut with an audible snap. Forcing his shoulders to relax, he nods to a nearby pirate who rushes forward and pours wine for any who show interest.

Ondrj says, "I apologize. The men were mine, sent to explore my cousin's tower. I hope there are no hard feelings for their lack of prudence—I assure you I bear you no ill will for having dispatched a few to clear your path. I am burdened with a band of cutthroats, thieves, and tax collectors—filthy degenerates to the last!" He swivels his head to snarl at a passing pirate, who drops a buck of dirty water and scampers away.

"The apes are creatures of base toil, but whether they serve the Eld or my cousin, I do not know. No more than I know where your allegiances lie. Tell me, what brings you to Medved's Tower? Who do you serve? What do you seek?"

kensanata
Tracker
Tracker

#156 Post by kensanata »

Splinter, sitting close to the shark man, starts to tell our story: Well, we used to be soldiers in Frankenland, a long time ago. We were sent to a giant tower, and I mean a real giant's tower with rooms 50ft high. Our goal was to free the princes, and he points at her, and to find the wizard. But now it seems that the wizard is lost or fled, and in one of his rooms we found a ship with which to sail the void. And we did and arrived here. Whether Medved is the same wizard as our wizard we do not know. Nor do we know whether our wizard was one of the Eld. But we sure want to find out.
I run a blog. I also run a site for campaign wikis. I wrote a face generator, a character generator, a dungeon mapper, a Traveller subsector generator, and a hex map generator (editable as text).

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Starbeard »

The Princess takes a seat on the room's most comfortable chair, if she can find one.

"The strange wooden man speaks correctly. I am the Princess Dormillon, daughter of the King of Franceland. I was assumed from my wedding altar by the magician Drosselmeyer, with the intent of transforming those who would rescue me into a personal army of enchanted minions. Through them he seeks to wage war against his mortal enemy, the rats who plague his estate. I must ask, on what terms do you hold allegience to my father the King?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I lost me brothers on account of the wizard. Drosselmeyer was convinced he'd found powerful magic stowed in an abandoned room, but couldn't get to it on account of them giant, white rats. He started looking for proxies to fight the rats in his stead. He fashioned me and me brothers into a giant, wooden man. Once freed, they joined the cherubic legions in the heavens above. I miss them so. Flintlock sniffles a few times in their memory. Then spits. I'll get that bastard for what he done to me and mine... He slams his metallic fist onto the table with the puny thud available to one of his infantile strength.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#159 Post by coil23 »

Horton nods in agreement to the stories being shared. While a dangerous scene to be sure, this already seems more agreeable than the teeth-grindingly officious, demanding, and incompetent soldiers. Nothing for it but to wait for the other shoe to drop here and see what new disaster finds them.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Pulpatoon »

Ondrj: "A wizard? Medved is no wizard. He is a god. A minor one, keeping to his quiet corner of the weird world, but a god. I am very nearly one myself."He slaps his chest, disturbing the remoras who appear to be nursing. "But a few more centuries to go!"

"'Drosselmeyer' doesn't sound Eldish, but they are liars, so who knows? The ship and the void sound like them. Cunning creatures without a dram of red passion rattling around in their lily-white hides. Joyless. They work strange energies, and could certainly play at wizardry, if it suited them They do not belong here—not upon the Persimmon Sea, and not in the Glittering Tower. Entirely vexatious.

"I would care to hear a word or two more about this other tower. A room of power? Guarded by rats? I daresay my band and I could handle a few rats.

"I will lay two options before you: the first being that I continue upon my present agenda, and you on yours. If you wish to harry the Eld in search of this wizard, I would do my charitable duty and use my vast and magnificent resources to aid you. Gold? Items of wondrous magic? Yours, if you make enough folderol to drive them from the Glittering Tower.

"Or. Guide me and my men back to this tower of giants. Show us these rats, and this room. Let us see what there is to be seen."

Starbeard wrote:The Princess: "I must ask, on what terms do you hold allegience to my father the King?"
Ondrj's laugh is a vicious hacking gurgle. "Let your father raise a temple to Ondrj the Reaver! Tell him to pile the altars with fatted calves and lovely slaves and gold and jewels and and frankincense, and then wash it all down with blood. Then we will see how I regard him."

Return to “GARGANTUA - Into the Odd”