The Witchwood

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The Witchwood

#1 Post by Marullus »

Witchwood Tower.png
Witchwood Tower.png (331.01 KiB) Viewed 829 times
About a mile northeast of The Meetinghouse, a dark and forboding forest sprung up, covering about five acres. As June 2021 ended it was fields and by mid June the forest was thick and tangled enough to bar most passage and shroud all beneath them in shadows. The thick rose and berry brambles hopelessly snare clothing of anyone coming near.

A large round tower stands near the forest's center, its peaked roof visible from miles away rising above the trees.

The forest is enchanted, inhibiting the passage of any sentient being except those with the cresent moon brand of devotees of Beith (which includes Clerics, Rangers, and Wood-witches). Someone truly determined can hack their way in at 1/4 movement.

Internal Characteristics:
For those who enter, they find these places inside. PCs may roleplay here freely as a setting. It is OOC knowledge for others.

Sacred Grove
A huge white birch tree sprawls at the center of a sacred Grove, it's thick canopy sheltering the ground beneath. The forest floor beneath, only dappled by sunlight through the day, is covered by only thick, soft moss.

Tower of the Witchwood
In September 2021, Bianca funds dwarven construction of a five story, 40' round tower. It has library, laboratory, kitchens, and common room, and beds for 12 coven witches as well as Mother Lita as the lucky thirteenth. The tower replaces the Camp Site, the artisianal spring now bubbling in an elegant fountain outside the tower's front door.
TowerOtTE.jpg
TowerOtTE.jpg (428.91 KiB) Viewed 829 times
Camp Site
A small clearing housing four canvas-sided tents and a large cookfire in the center of them; without any permanent structures, this suffices for the small number of the Coven. A bubbling artisanal spring of fresh water supplies the needs of those gathered here.

Services
  • Those staying in the campsite have meager accommodations (canvas tents) but access to a plentiful supply of berries, greens, and fresh-grown fruits. (Followers of Beith receive free Normal Meals.)
  • Sworn followers of Beith who depart on an expedition from Beith's Watch can take up to 5 days of fresh food with them (no preserved foods).
  • Sworn followers of Beith who stop here are gifted one Potion of Extra Healing before departing on any expedition.
  • Mother Lita can Dispel Magic for those whose needs are found worthy. (Roleplay the request in the sacred grove.)
  • Coven members have access to the following spells from tomes kept by Mother Lita. They can be transcribed for the cost of inks by sworn Coven members.
    - Burning Hands (1st)
    - Charm Person (1st)
    - Comprehend Languages (1st)
    - Detect Magic (1st)
    - Read Magic (1st)
    - Find Familiar (1st)
    - Floating Disc (1st)
    - Light (1st)
    - Magic Missile (1st)
    - Protection from Evil (1st)
    - Shield (1st)
    - Sleep (1st)
    - Unseen Servant (1st)
    - Ventriloquism (1st)
    - Invisibility (2nd)
    - Web (2nd)
    - Stinking Cloud (2nd)
    - Detect Evil (2nd)
    - Locate Object (2nd)
    - Dispel Magic (3rd)
    - Fireball (3rd)
    - Monster Summoning I (3rd)
    - Lightening Bolt (3rd)
    - Plant Growth (4th)
  • The treasury of the tower is kept secure, but the items within are available to a coven member who requests their use for the service of Beith.
    Potion of Dragon Control, clearly labeled with name and effects, (LL p.111) Charm Green Dragon 5d4 rounds.
    A Dusty Potion (Identified by Mother Lita as a potion of Clairvoyance)
    A Ruddy Brown Orcish Potion (Identified by Mother Lita as a potion of Human Control [Humans])

NPCs:
Mother Lita, Coven Leader
Lita.PNG
Lita.PNG (396.66 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
Numen, the pseudodragon

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Witchwood

#2 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

25 July
Winnie (and Bianca) return to the Witchwood, easily passing through the dense undergrowth. They go straight to their sisters to discuss recent happenings. They are hopeful they will not be driven away, killed, etc, and allowed to return to town to assist with the next outing to the goblin-held tower.

Winnie explains that the book remains in Idmi d'dun, having not had sufficient time to fetch it. We were hopeful Caspar would bring it here, but he sent word he did not feel comfortable.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

Winnie and Bianca seek Mother Lita in the Sacred Grove when the moon rises. She stands under the stars, gazing upward, the hood of her ebony cloak falling back from her braid of dark hair. She doesn't turn to look at you, but Numen does; the tiny two-foot dragon which is curled across her shoulders. "Death comes with you, children... and death follows after. What have you done?" she says, her tone heavy.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Years she'd from her psyche and Winnie immediately feels like a child again, fearful and ashamed. She does her best to compose herself. Mother, we were in the town when we heard people spelling of an ancient dwarf tower inhabited by goblins. Tales were told about magic lost there, so we decided to join the adventurers. She shifts her satchel, We found three spell books and an ancient scroll. But at a terrible cost. Winnie pauses for Bianca to speak. She should be allowed to frame it as she will.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Bluehorse »

Bianca

Felt a chill roll down her back where once she would have felt warmth at the sounds of the voice of one of her sisters, much less the voice of one of the Mother's of the covens. She looked up where Lita stared as if searching for some answer as to where to begin or to see what signs and omens she saw there in the heavens. Slowly she lowered her eyes. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes before she began to speak, her eyes opening as she did but staring at the ground, focused far off into a place she could only see in her inner self. "On our first night in the town, I let my eagerness get the best of me. I heard one of the townsfolk speaking of a strange book they found. I asked for a look... as I began to examine it, something happened." At this point she looked at Winnie as if she were apologizing. She turned back to Mother Lita and continued. "Something... there was something *in* the book, and it attacked me, latched onto a deep part of my mind. I felt the pain as it fed off of me, taking... something... and in turn, placing itself there in its place. I have a dark place in my mind, Mother. A place where it gnawed out a hole for itself to reside like a worm in a nut. I cannot get it out... I fear I might never get back that which it fed off of..." She has to clutch her staff with both hands as she continues to hide the trembling there.

"We did follow the adventurers on their journey in order to seek out the books for want of bringing knowledge to our coven. I kept what happened with the book secret. I thought I had control over it, but... I had.... have begun to have more and more nightmares... sometimes waking ones. I know now that this darkness talks to me; whispers as if it is my own thoughts, tempts me. I've... I've craved the spilling of blood when before I would have shunned the idea... Then..." She looks over to Winnie. "Then I knew something was wrong. I confided in my sister. We were already at the entrance to the tower. We agreed we would finish the task we pledged ourselves to, and come back here for help. We found ourselves walking a dark path... deep into a secret cavern entrance behind the waterfall. More and more Winnie and I discovered we were also in dark company. There was a cleric... The follower of the Blood God... his lust for dealing death seemed to infect everyone... Winnie and I tried to save the Gnolls...
but they slaughtered them. All of them; the men, the mothers, even the children. There was nothing we could do."
Her emotions are starting to rise a little as she begins to recall the details she works so hard to forget these past days.

"After the slaughter... We explored further. We found a lab. The lab was... it appeared there had been experiments done on the dead. I could feel the dark place in my mind growing more excited. We performed rites for the remains there. It seemed to calm the dark place... give me center again. But as we explored further, there was a room of ash where a fire elemental attacked us. We were lucky and made quick work of banishing it back to wherever it came from, but then..." She turns her head away from Winnie as she recalls the gruesome sight of the pudding when it latched onto her sister's legs and left nothing in its wake. "There was a black pudding in the next room. We tried to flee, but it followed. Winnie had the forethought to spread oil and block its way, but before we could light it, it attacked her... The shock and bloodloss... it was too much... I summoned the flames to fight it off of her, and it crumbled away, but... When I pulled her back, her legs... there was nothing left... I..." She sobbed a little, faced once more with the feelings of what she lost that day and for the first time voicing them. "Winnie... I felt you... leave... You were gone...
I dragged her back to the lab... throwing off the carrion on the table... I was desperate... praying for help... before I realized it,
I had the vision of a rod we had only just discovered... I... I somehow knew how to use it... I surrendered to that knowledge and took it from one of our dwarf companions and... I picked up one of the silver tools... I channeled the energies from my feet like we always do when casting, I focused on the rod and the silver... I felt... something different. It was like everything of earth in the room... the very dust... answered some call to arm and reformed Winnie's broken body... I remember thinking I would explode... there was a scream...
just before it passed out... I realized it was mine..."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

Lita turns slowly, her pale, long face coming into view. The silver pools of her eyes looking through you. She reached out a hand and runs the backside of her fingers down Bianca's jawline. "Oh child.... Poor child..." she murmurs. "I understand. Shhhh.....
Shhhhhhh.... I know. You just seek forgiveness. Yes? I see it in your mind. You desire comfort, I know.... Shhhh...."

She slowly unfolds her fingers, cupping Bianca's cheek. "But the Goddess doesn't care about you, or how you feel," she murmurs, the unyielding steel in her voice as she let's her hand drop back to her side. "Her laws are immutable and you will suffer three deaths for the one you stole. Understanding this without seeking to prevent it is the knowledge from which we draw power. You are not a milk-fed babe like those of other Gods - The Mother weans that you might grow."

She adjusts her cloak, which ripples like the night itself around her and leans on the aged staff of your Order. She stands and stares at you both for so long it seems interminable. The tiny dragon has disappeared into the tree above.

"You dabbled in chaos and your balance is gone, she says at last, looking at Bianca. "None may master the soul-book but a priest whose soul shares the chaos within. It has indeed carved a hole in you, in your mind, and filled it with itself. It is but an echo, however, and cannot possess you. You shall remember two lives... Decide who you now shall be."

She turns and regards Winnie placidly. "You passed into death and returned. What did you see?"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Bluehorse »

Marullus wrote:Lita ... "Her laws are immutable and you will suffer three deaths for the one you stole. Understanding this without seeking to prevent it is the knowledge from which we draw power. You are not a milk-fed babe like those of other Gods - The Mother weans that you might grow."
"Is there no hope of redemption? Of penance? A boon? Anything?"
"You dabbled in chaos and your balance is gone, she says at last, looking at Bianca. "None may master the soul-book but a priest whose soul shares the chaos within. It has indeed carved a hole in you, in your mind, and filled it with itself. It is but an echo, however, and cannot possess you. You shall remember two lives... Decide who you now shall be."
"Me! Me a hundred times over for every star in the heavens! Please, I want him gone! I don't want this! He won't stop whispering!" he eyes are going more desperate.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Marullus »

Lita's eyes are pitying as the elf maid begins to grovel.... "I expect more of you than this," she says, her tone hard and not kind.

"Your past choices are made. Both sets of memories are now your own -- your future choices will decide what that means for who you will be. You prevented a death and you will suffer three. Hopefully you will learn as you do so, and that knowledge weans you." Lita turns away at that, looking to Winnie.

"And you?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

My passing over was swift. I remember the mortal light fading, then a new, warm light passing over and through me. And then I was back in that cold, damp cellar. If there was more, it has left me. Not even enough for a verse of a song. Winnie frowns.

Mother, what troubles my heart most is doubt. I am nagged constantly by the fear I am no longer a part of Beith's world. That I'm apart. It all feels so cold and indifferent now, but Beith is like that anyway. Perhaps I am only now understanding that truth.

Winnie looks down at her feet and stands on her heels a moment, reveling in having feet again. It goes beyond that, however. My legs were digested and I know I should not be here, but I am so grateful to Bianca for this second chance at life. She hesitates a heartbeat. Do I belong here? Can I be part of Her world if I was dead? If I am so pleased to be alive that I am willing to partake in (or protect her from) the three deaths? She moves closer to her elf-sister, hooking arms, if allowed.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Marullus »

"Your questions are natural, but are hubris," Lita replies. "Even the new-gods must abide by the world-laws established by the Mother of Creation... How would you be so special as to be outside them? That it would be so simple, within the capability of a device crafted by mortal men to obviate you from her creation?" She shakes her head. "You are alive,
you are in the world, the laws remain true and immutable. You are closer to deeper truths than you were before... Weaned off simple beliefs. We learn the deeper laws of this world and gain our power from that understanding; we do not seek to avoid consequences - we learn through them. The Rule of Three was the first you were taught. You cannot make it not true."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie nods appreciatively. She gains a huge measure of relief to know she is not somehow separate from the world she walks through, but has, instead grasped a deeper understanding of the realities of her faith. I was so naive. "Beith focuses on the true, amoral, impartial character of the natural world," she recites. Winnie kisses Lita's hand and hugs her. She pulls out a book and hands it to her. This is one of the spell books we found. It is from an elf named Gaeron, and contains the spells Read Magic, Magic Missile, Sleep, and Invisibility. I wish to share its knowledge with my sisters. She heads back to town with Bianca feeling guilty her sister will suffer for bringing her back from the dead. She vows to stand by Bianca's side and face the trials with her if she can.

50xp/spell level = 250xp add to her sheet. Book deducted.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Marullus »

29 July 2021

As Winnie and Bianca spend the night in the groove with their sisterhood, they hear a blood-curdling sound - an unearthly howling like a hound from the depths of hell itself, voicing it's joy at a hunt.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Bluehorse »

Bianca

Is this before or after returning or setting out from Gaul? The wibbly wobbly timey wimey is getting a little muddled up for me on my end.

She jerks awake, sitting upright, disturbed from one of her nightmares as she looks around. She moves to wake Winnie.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I believe this would be the night the two spoke with Lita. So after returning with Earc, but before we set out on our next adventure on 3 August.
Marullus wrote:As Winnie and Bianca spend the night in the groove with their sisterhood, they hear a blood-curdling sound...
Winnie looks at Bianca with alarm. I hear it too. But how could be sleeping when we have such a good groove going?
:P
Something to watch out for.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Would it be kosher for Winnie to cast ESP when she hears it? She only had 2 second level spells in her book at the time, so she would likely have had it memorized. If that's okay, she'll cast it.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Marullus »

She can cast it, but the range is only 60'. In this case she detects nothing, as the howling is outside the Witchwood Grove.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie attempts to perceive the direction the sounds come from, hoping it is not the woods she is planning to explore.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Marullus »

The howling moves around, but you hear it both north towards the forest and east towards Beith's Watch.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by Alethan »

(A little bit of retro on the creation of Willow's staff...)

Willow approaches the grove, looking for Mother Lita, to assist her with something.

"Mother..." Willow begins, hesitantly. "I have a favour to ask. I have this..." She pulls out the green dragon tooth. "We were set upon a pair of juvenile green dragons when exploring. They were... highly aggressive and attacked us on sight. We defended ourselves and brought them down. I believe in my heart they would have destroyed much of the flora and fauna of this area, had we not done so. I think Beith brought us to them for that reason."

"Anyway... I thought maybe I could make some good come out of this and harness some of the magic of one of the dragons into my witch's staff. Can you help me with this?"

She presents Mother Lita with her staff and the green dragon tooth...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Beith's Watch”