Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The Winged Hind Tavern

#1 Post by Marullus »

colonial-tavern.jpg
colonial-tavern.jpg (75.73 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
The Winged Hind Tavern

This thread is intended for adventurers to share tales of their exploits and arrange expeditions into the wild. The date in this thread is always the same as that of the Golden Tooth Tavern(which tracks the main game date).

Players may ONLY post to this thread while the character they are speaking as is in town (obviously).

Occasionally, NPCs may share information in this thread as well if they happen to be privy to something of interest and think it worth sharing.

To depart on an expedition, announce here that you are leaving town, the date, and any companions.

A cozy establishment, the Winged Hind Tavern is sturdy building of stacked and mortared fieldstone with thick windows of wavy glass. It is built on an old longhouse foundation with storage cellars beneath the wide oak planked flooring. A few small but comfortable rooms are for rent in the rear of the building down a wood-panel hallway. A long common room provides comfortable seating for up to thirty people, but usually has a handful of farmers at most, relaxing in the evening with each other's company. The furniture is of sturdy oak, fashioned from the woodland to the north, and taxidermied animal heads showing strange hybrid combinations hang high on the walls. Fresh flowers adorn every table and bowls of seasonal fruits and nuts are offered at the bar by the matron to any who sit and chat.

The proprietors, George and Mary, were formerly hands at Trombley's farm, but moved here to serve those exploring the wood after finding some good fortune. They're happy to chat when things aren't busy.

Wares for sale:
1 cp - a cup of herbal tea
1 sp - a mug of mead from the Meetinghouse homestead
1 sp - a mug of warm mulled apple cider
1 gp - A good meals with plenty of nuts, fruit, bread, honey, goat cheese, and vegetables (meat by special request) (per day)
5sp - for a "to go basket" of hard crackers, sweet jams and preserves, dried fruits, nuts, honey, hard cheeses, and root vegetables. (per day trail rations)

Lodging:
1 sp - per night for sleeping in the hay loft of the small barn
2 sp - per night for basic room accommodations (4 rooms available)
1 sp - per night for stabling in the barn for mounts

Telling Tales:
Players can tell their own group exploits (and do a CHA test).
See the rules here.

NPCs for Hire

Bera, Ranger-woman of Beith (level 3)
Berra-small.png
Berra-small.png (67.23 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
Level 3 Fighter
Longbow, spear, longknife, banded mail.
Desires opportunity to hunt hybrid threats in the forest.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Winged Hind Tavern

#2 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:Morning, 03 August 2021
Winnie, Bianca, Willow, The Grizzly Woman, Clint Brockhammet, and their companions head north into the forest by way of Beith's Watch.

Expedition: Winnie to the North Woods - 03 Aug 2021
(Date advances to Aug 11 or later upon return.)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

August 19, 2021

Having returned from a foray into the forest, Bera, an archer formerly from the Mercenary Camp, has sworn to the Rangers of Beith and taken up residence here in the Inn.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay Weatherwax enters the tavern and, spotting the newest Ranger, he approaches her table. Hi Berra. I'm planning to head north-northwest. Quite far, actually. To hunt for an ancient tomb. Can I convince you to join me? I was going to ask a couple of the Sisterhood to join us. And the Grizzly Woman, if I can find her. I'll be honest. All I have to go on is a vision of our destination. But I'm bringing an owl, and he hasn't gotten me lost yet. If he locates Willow, Bianca and the Grizzly Woman, he invites them as well.
I roll 2d6 to recruit, right?

Just had an offer to have Clint and Smoglea join us, so I'll leave the NPC behind.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Zhym »

Is it intentional that good meals and a private sleeping room are both more expensive here than they are in Gaul? The different rates are complicating having Lug move from Gaul to Beith's Watch without having to recalculate how much he pays for food & lodging if he wants to get the good meals bonus.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

Late July / Early August 2021
Intentional? Probably. Necesarry? Probably not. Let's do this for now and I'll let Earc adjust it later.

Clarabelle brings the big Lug over to the Tavern from the Meetinghouse; she introduces him to her parents, George and Mary, and lets them know he is taking his vows as a Ranger, like her. "Nice to meet you, son," the proprietor says, offering Lug a discount to have him spend some time with Beith's faithful instead of Gaul.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by Alethan »

Necessary?
Is it... NECESSARY for me to drink my own urine? No. But I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste.

Absolutely. The restaurant formerly known as The Winged Hind Tavern is under new management: Zane Salinger and his female companion, Romy. The new restaurant, Argyle & Branch, will offer local, artisanal meals of certified organic gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free meals served on bespoke handmade charcutery boards that are made by members of the local artisan guild, Jasper & Plum.

Do you know what it takes to produce a glass of free-range organic water? Likely you don't. But fortunately Zane does. He's read several pamphlets on running a restaurant and, more importantly, he feels like this is something everyone should support as he really wants to do it. Compared to some of the edgier new restaurants down in the Southron lands, 3gp for a split of free-range water is practically a bargain.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

Enters the inn and seeks out Bera the ranger.

"Our expedition north will take us through the forest and we are in need of your expertise. How would you feel about guiding us to the northern edge of the forest and to the plainlands of the orcs?"

Amistad can offer to simply cover a gp fee or if Bera prefers to join the expedition then a share of xp/treasure or even with her desire to hunt forest hybrids and the Morlock threat, provide a Morlock translator (Akaara) to aid a future expedition.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Marullus »

Berra readily agrees. "I will come along to see these orcs and take their measure."

: Recruiting [2d6] = 3[2d6] = 5[2d6] = 8

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Jernau35 »

Sir Piers approaches the proprietors to arrange the groups food and accommodation. He books all four of the basic rooms, and arranges good meals for all the party, including the soldiers.

"I'm afraid you and I will have to share a room, Florin. Akkara of course must have her own, and we will do Amistad and Issachar the courtesy of having their own rooms too. The others will have to sleep in the barn".

Piers puts 30 pieces of gold on the bar. "This will take care of the rooms and food. Whatever is left over can be used to pay for drinks for all our group."

30gp deducted
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Beith's Watch”