Pierpont's Tower

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Pierpont's Tower

#1 Post by Marullus »

Alchemist_Pierpont.jpg
Alchemist_Pierpont.jpg (47.04 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
Near the ford is a stone tower, a simple three-story affair that is home to Pierpont the Wizard. The bottom floor is the only room in which he accepts visitors. It is a spartan room with a table and four chairs.

Services:

Magical Research: Pierpont will research the function of magical items for 50gp per week. He has a base chance of 60% per test to learn something for each week's study, and his specialized abilities allow him two tests each week. He is paid upfront for the number of weeks requested. When you return, he tells you what he learned, if there is more to study, or if all was discovered. If all weeks were not required, he will refund them.

Magical Instruction: Pierpont will teach the following spells, including to Elves who don't know Read Magic the following spells for 100gp each, acting as a mentor:
  • Read Magic
  • Detect Magic
Magical Trade: Pierpont will consider purchase Created Magic Items and spellbooks after they have been researched.

Magical Goods and Services: Pierpont will cast the following spells upon request for the listed fee:
  • 300gp - Arcane Lock (attunable to only one individual)
  • 300gp - Continual Light
  • 500gp - Dispel Magic
  • 600gp - Remove Curse
He offers the following goods for sale:
  • 400gp - Scroll of Detect Invisible (lvl 2)
  • 400gp - Scroll of Detect Evil (lvl 2)
  • 400gp - Scroll of Locate Object (lvl 2)
  • 600gp - Scroll of Protection from Evil (10' radius) (lvl 3)
  • 600gp - Scroll of Protection from Normal Missiles (lvl 3)
Research Timeline:
  • 11-18 June: Bremen - a long bronze chime with a leather cord to suspend it
  • 18 June - 02 July: Rhybek - The Kobold Chief's Headress.
  • 02 July - 09 July: Bremen - a long bronze chime with a leather cord to suspend it
  • 09-30 July 02 July-18 July: Bandy - "a small bronze statuette of an imperious griffin" and "short obsidian wand with an adamantine handle affixed to the end."
  • 20 July - 10 August: Clay Weatherwax - a crystal orb swirling with liquid darkness
  • 10 - 24 August: Bremen - Bronze Chime and Tome
  • 24 - 31 August: Fingers - a massive blue-steeled two-handed sword with a flamberge blade
  • 31 August - 07 September: Olaf - Ellurian steel longsword with supple blue dragon-scale hiltwraps
  • 07-21 September: Bremen - 40lb marble cylinder with dwarf runes
  • 21 - 30 September: Piers Garrett - Smithing Hammer of Balthnoc
  • 01-14 October: Markd - Black Cube.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Pierpont's Tower

#2 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek enters and makes his acquaintance with the wizard.

"We found this headdress on... well, on the head of a kobold chieftain. It didn't do him no good against my axe, but I figured it might have had some other purpose. We couldn't figure it out, though, so I thought I'd check with you to see if you might be able to tell me."

Rhybek is willing to be pay 100gp for two weeks of study.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

After a few hours of meditation, Able's head is much clearer. And he has an epiphany. He hurries off to visit the Wizard, Pierpont.

G'day, Brother Pierpont. I had a cousin what was a miner. He wore a hat with a candle on the front of it when he was in the deeper tunnels, on account the lanterns wouldn't shed light far enough. Which gives me an idea. He asks the wizard how much it would cost to cast continual light on a piece of fabric, which he could then sew to a headband. The light'd shine out like what them candles did, and I'd not need to worry for a lantern ner a torch. He grins widely, proud of his own cleverness. He offers a scrap of heavy canvas for the wizard to work his magic on.

Fantasy-world version of a petzl headlamp... :D
If sewing a magical object would ruin the magic, he can have the patch sewn on first, then cast on just the patch.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Marullus »

02 July 2021
Rhybek returns on July 2nd and Pierpont returns the headdress of giant chicken feathers. "It is amazing, I think, that the chieftain and his bodyguards stayed true to the end, standing in the face of your axe. No, it didn't help protect him from your blade, but for such cowardly creatures it is exceptional that he commanded such loyalty that they never fled."

Headdress of Loyalty:
  • All NPC followers of the wearer gain a +1 to morale checks when the headpiece is worn.
  • For retainers, this means all successful hiring offers count as if you rolled a 2: "The offer is accepted with very good spirit and the retainer's morale receives a bonus of +1 for the adventure's duration." This includes the morale check at each expedition's end.
He confirms that all powers of this item are known; it took him both weeks to fully investigate. No command words are needed - the magic is active whenever worn.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek nods and hands over the 100gp payment and receives the headdress in return.

"I thank you for your services, wizard. Any idea what such an item might be worth?"

He leaves and returns back to Gaul, wondering what in the seven hells he's going to do with the headdress...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:After a few hours of meditation, Able's head is much clearer. And he has an epiphany. He hurries off to visit the Wizard, Pierpont.

G'day, Brother Pierpont. I had a cousin what was a miner. He wore a hat with a candle on the front of it when he was in the deeper tunnels, on account the lanterns wouldn't shed light far enough. Which gives me an idea. He asks the wizard how much it would cost to cast continual light on a piece of fabric, which he could then sew to a headband. The light'd shine out like what them candles did, and I'd not need to worry for a lantern ner a torch. He grins widely, proud of his own cleverness. He offers a scrap of heavy canvas for the wizard to work his magic on.

Fantasy-world version of a petzl headlamp... :D
If sewing a magical object would ruin the magic, he can have the patch sewn on first, then cast on just the patch.
any word on this?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Marullus »

Pierpont considers the request and updates his list of services.

"I can indeed enchant a light source for you," he offers to Ablesforth. "One must consider the nature of the magic, however. While the enchantment provides a cool, reliable light source without threat of fire, it does still consume the object upon which it is placed over time. Cast on flesh or organic material it could consume it in days or weeks. Metals last longer, but find themselves more brittle - a glowing sword, for example, from such an enchantment would be more prone to breakage. The best option is to cast it upon precious gemstones - the better the clarity and cut of the stone the better. While it will consume a gem as well, wizards tend to prefer this option as it takes many lifetimes for a sufficiently hard stone to dwindle. I will cast it upon your scrap of fabric and that will likely suit for an expedition or two into the wilds, but a precious gem would avail you longer. Either way, the cost is 300 gold pieces."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Don't break the system, eh? :lol:

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

20 July 2021

Clay, the badger-druid, waddles to Pierpont's Tower and knocks. He introduces himself to the mage and hands over a silver and gold wand with the inscription “Hound of Power” written on it, set with 6 Sapphires around its top end. What does this do, and how would I manage it? He hands him 50 gp and an emerald worth 100gp as payment for 3 weeks of research. Clay makes it clear that he prefers to keep the emerald and is using it merely as collateral for now.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Marullus »

20 July 2021
Pierpont examines the wand. He takes 10gp, but returns the rest to Clay. "It should not require additional study... this piece is ornamental, and without mystic energies. You could likely fetch a better price from a collector in the Southlands as a piece of art."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay's shuffles his feet in an embarrassed sort of way, glad his blush is hidden beneath his fur; he hadn't checked the item for magic himself. Clay hands the mage an orb instead. This, then how does it work? What's it do?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Marullus »

Pierpont regards the orb filled with the swirling black of liquid darkness with great interest. He pulls the 50gp and the emerald back across the table towards himself. "Yes... this is certainly a greater mystery. You must be Clay Weatherwax, then, my friendly badger? Is this the Orb of Endless Suffering that I heard rumored, from the dwarven text? Let me see how much I can uncover of its purpose by August 10th."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I am going under the assumption that Clay hasn't heard any of that stuff way out in the sticks. Winnie and Bianca were the most likely to head out there, but they didn't. And then Clay went west.

Clay holds out an oversized paw to greet Pierpont officially, acknowledging who he is - as if there are many talking badgers in the area. Orb of Endless Suffering? Sounds about right. It sure makes sleeping difficult, what with the nightmares. After hearing what Pierpont has to say about the artifact, he looks Pierpont up and down, taking the measure of the man. Finally he nods. I'm guessing it's something the Red Robed mages might be interested in. I don't think they ought'a have it though. I've seen them make abominations of their own friends. He leaves the orb with the mage, hoping Pierpont doesn't start raising undead armies.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Can't believe I forgot about this:

Clay is only a few steps away when he turns back to Pierpont. A creature with a bird head and snake body turned a companion of mine to stone. A dwarf, if it matters. Do you know if any magic that would reverse the process? Perhaps if I collected some of its feathers?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

"Alas, the magic power to restore your companion is beyond me," Pierpont replies. "It is known to some archmagi, particularly those potent enough to take on apprentices. Besides the rumors of the Order of Monoc here, I know of none in the North so powerful. A potion, perhaps, could be concocted with the eyes of the cockatrice or of a basilisk, but it wouldn't be certain, just a chance. The North holds many mysteries,
though... Perhaps you'll find a way."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Lord Commander Bremen brighten's Pierpont's doorstep once more, greeting the mage in a friendly manner. My luck's turned around again. I'd appreciate it if you'd continue looking this chime over. How long do you think it'll take to learn all its secrets? He hands Pierpont the appropriate amount of gold, offering more if he is willing to bump other projects to expedite the chimes. If all goes well, I'll be bringing by a warhammer in the future, too.

How many weeks does he think? How much to push everyone else out of the way? :P

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:How many weeks does he think?
Bump. And also:
Bremen holds open a sack and a bouquet of feathers for Pierpont. I hear wizards can use things like this.
Eight hippogryph talons and their flight feathers. What's the going rate on these things? If it's enough, I'll leave a book with you to check out, too.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

Sorry, thanks for the bump.

"I fear I cannot break my word to my other clients;
ones word is Paramount when willworking."

"Another week or two should certainly suffice for the chimes. I can offer you 200gp for the unpreserved hippogriff parts."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Bremen shakes Pierpont's hand.Good to know you're a man of your word. I'm most interested in the other properties of the chime, and of this tome. Sometime, I'll have you look this Warhammer over, too, but for now, I need it. He takes 100gp, leaving the rest with Pierpont as payment.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Marullus »

Pierpont nods his agreement, accepting the hippogriff parts and paying 10 platinum pieces. "You may check back on your items on August 24th, sir."

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Frogmorton Ford”