Toll's Tower

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Toll's Tower

#1 Post by Alethan »

Located on the west bank of the Gaul river, jutting out from an outcropping of weathered limestone, Toll's Tower is a square two-story structure belonging to Earc Orctongue. The first level of the tower is built right into the bedrock, with walls of local limestone on the southern and western walls. These walls are faced with the weathered side of the limestone blocks, helping it to blend into the background and appear as if it has been there for a hundred years. The second story is starkly contrasting, however, with much smoother faced limestone blocks. The quality of the craftsmanship says much of its dwarven builders. The entrance to the tower is through a heavily reinforced oak and iron door set into the southern wall. A large iron sconce is set in the wall just to the right and above the door.

Visitors are greeted by one of two guards - Garbhan or Flannagan - and Jarvis, a large bull mastiff. Jarvis can generally be seen resting near the entrance or patrolling the area for intruders.

Inside Toll's Tower
Inside the main level, the floor is polished flagstone, also mined from the local limestone rocks. A simple wooden bed, desk, and chair are located along the western wall, presumably for use by guests or the attending guards. A large wooden chest located near the stairs in the northeast corner is for guards to keep personal items in while on duty. A fireplace made from large tumbled river rocks nestles in the northwest corner of the room. A stone staircase, cut into the limestone bedrock and leading to Magus Earc's private quarters, is located along the east wall. A simple chair sits against the north wall.
Tower Floor Plan 04 All.JPG
Tower Floor Plan 04 All.JPG (453.92 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Available Services
  • 200gp - Continual Light
Available Wares
  • 150gp - Toll's Growth Extract (potion) [11 Available]
  • 150gp - Scroll of Detect Magic (Level 1)
  • 300gp - Scroll of Levitate (Level 2)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Toll's Tower

#2 Post by Marullus »

July 15

A Dwarven crew arrives, setting to work expanding the tower upwards with their ingenuitive stonework. Ten dwarves make quick work of the project, doubling the height of the tower to four floors in less than two weeks. (July 26). Until then, their tents and cookfires circle on the hilltop adjacent to the tower.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Stirling »

Some time towards the end of the month a 'pony express' rider arrives at Tolls Tower with a dark chestnut hued riding horse. A leather embossed saddle and a fresh pair of saddle bags borne on its back.

A note is attached to the reins for Earc Orctongue of Tolls Tower.

"Please accept this gift in consideration of your help and sacrifices in aiding me face the dragon Scatha."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by Alethan »

Flannagan sniffs as he takes the reins of the horse and pats it on the nose, leading it back to the tower. He hands the note to Garbhan, who can read, while he holds the horse steady.

Garbhan frowns and mutters as he reads the note, "Guess we'll have to get some stables built now, too... Jarvis, come!" He points to a spot on the ground next to him. When Jarvis approaches, Garbhan says, "Sniff, Jarvis. Friend. You got that, pup? Friend."

Then he leads the horse over to a temporary holding area near Jarvis's chain area so the horse can wait for his new owner...

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Spearmint »

Some time after July 22nd

'Blackjack' Amistad and sidekick Achaedany show up at Tolls Tower.

He ignores the murmurings from the dwarven workers, disquiet as they remain suspicious of Amistad's intent since coercing the dwarven townsfolk to rally to their fiery doom on Scatha's appearance. Greeting the two staff Flannagan and Garbhan and casting a meaty bone in the direction of the mastiff, Amistad enquires of Earc Orctongue.

"I hope the Master is well and safe on his adventures. Maybe the expedition has proved worthy in the value of tomes he has recovered for study. I wanted to ask him regarding an acquaintance he may know? Another cleric of Beith has recommended a young man, Renfry of Faireweather as a possible aide in my next enterprise and I wondered if Earc knew of his whereabouts?"

Amistad offers over a scroll which details an invitation to join a scouting mission. Firstly to sortie the palisade being built by Aagrok the ogre, with a plan to persuade them to employment in road building and security for traders. Then to continue with developing friendly terms with the Cyclops family and arranging a mutual trade agreement. Even though he will log in the forest, Amistad hopes a commitment to eco-friendly sapling planting with the treants will go some way to ensure a peaceful settlement but realises that he needs an 'expert' in the field to help smooth things and also further investigate the Morlock dilemma.

With Earc busy at study or away, Amistad will leave contact details for Renfry to meet in the tavern or at the logging yard for further details.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by onlyme »

assuming this is the proper place for this interaction

Halfpint walks with Earc to his construction site, talking along the way. She offers to pay to have him enlighten her new dull, clear crystal she recently mounted inside a handcrafted jewelry box.

She also asks him about his possible encounter with pixies from a previous travel, following up on rumors that they are closer to Gaul than she expected.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by Alethan »

After business details are resolved, Earc accepts the clear crystal and takes it to his newly constructed laboratory space.

He returns a brief while later with his hand wrapped around an object, light piercing out from between his fingers.

He opens his hand, revealing a brilliant and almost blinding light,"May it forever light your way, young halfling..."

Once the gem has been handed back, Earc sits on a stiff wooden chair that seems to offer little comfort (it's a servant's chair, after all) and thinks about pixies for a moment.

"Have I seen any? Well... not in the literal sense, I suppose. They remained invisible the whole time we interacted with them. It's been so long since that happened, I'd almost forgotten about it!"

"Let's see... we were heading up to the new logging camp. I was with Blackjack Amistad; he wanted to check out the abandoned logging site, so that's where we were headed when... I think we stumbled upon one of their traps? They weren't aggressive, and they didn't try and harm us. In fact, they warned us about the morlocks! They said the morlocks work at night, trying to capture the natural creatures of the forest for their unnatural experiments."

"Other than where we found them, I'm not sure I know much else that might be of use to you..."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint tries out her new toy, seeing how far it shines, but in the daytime that is more difficult.
She thanks Earc and follows up,
So, where is that camp? I dont recall hearing much of it.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by Alethan »

Earc makes a rough sketch on a piece of paper.

"Right there, at the number 7."

viewtopic.php?p=267214#p267214

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by Alethan »

August 5th

Earc readies his horse, Gwegwin, early in the morning and heads south, towards the Frogmorton Ford, then through Gaul, and finally on to Idmi d'dun.

He rides straight to the stables and enters them, a large rectangular-shaped package under his arm.

Just a few moments later, he leaves the stables and no longer has possession of a large rectangular-shaped package.

OOC: Earc returns Hagaseth's Travel Spellbook to him.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Zhym »

Sometime in August, 2021
Lug visits Toll's Tower.

"I heard you've got a potion that can make someone bigger," says the already voluminous man. "I gotta have one of those. Imagine the fun!"

-150 gp, + 1 Toll's Growth Potion

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by Alethan »

Flannagan takes the huge man's money, wondering if he hadn't already experienced a weird side effect of having taken the potion before, in exchange for a bottle of growth serum. He drops the coins into what seems to be a slot cut into stone and says,"Be sure an' tell yer friends there's more for sale. Ain't gonna find anything like these for sale anywhere else, neither."

OOC: Inventory updated; coin added and potion deducted; inventory updated with latest batch of potion

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Frogmorton Ford”