The Axe and Lion Lumberyard

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Axe and Lion Lumberyard

#21 Post by Marullus »

All fair enough. :) Yes, I'll add him to the Mercenary camp thread as he's now an established and named NPC. I'm not sure he'll be generally available, though - he was originally recruited from the Logging Camp and may need someone to have Friendly status in that group before he can be approached.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

returns to the Axe & Lion Logging and remarks on the jobs that the builders have done and checks the accounts with Godric, site foreman."How much short financially are we before we have the initial project completed?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Marullus »

July 15
Godric reports their success so far and that they've had no further interruptions from ogres. They'll finish the Big House in another week (July 22) and then begin the milling barn, which will be done a few weeks later (August 19). While there's griping for the long days of work and short hands, his five-man crew of lumbermen is proud, very proud, to be building the entire operation with their own hands. They'll be ready for the fall timbering season.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad, presuming he arrives back without any problems will encourage the workers with the rescued salvage and double pay for the last day until the house is finished.

House party ... Frogmorton food and some barrels brought over from the Golden Tooth.

Amistad gets the clear impression of being avoided by local dwarves since the dragon charge so his plan to recruit extra labour to complete the job early suffers a knock back.

He could have used someone the size of Lug but figures the man a brutish jackass.

He also contacts Mrs Frogmorton and asks about her female contacts in the town. I have an idea to reach out peaceably to the cyclops if I can and a few oversized gifts might come in welcome. Big blankets, trousers, shirts, even ladies ware.

Amistad is aware also that the kobold tower didn't dig up more treasure than the winch but still wants to appreciate Achaedany in some way.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Marullus »

July 20
Amistad and Achaedany return victorious with the winching equipment in hand. The equipment is critical for moving the large lumber timbers and loads, making the construction much easier.

Mrs. Frogmorton provides a sumptuous feast and you provision extra barrels of ale from Hyde's brewery in town. The crew are grateful both for the completed bunkhouse and also for the lavish holiday on July 22.

The pavilion project saves eight days and thus 12gp in labor and food costs. The house project finishes a day early with time for a party on the 22nd. The pavilion project is then done on August 11.

Mrs. Frogmorton seems mystified by the request, but sympathetic to the desire to provide for the giants. She says they could indeed arrange some seamstresses in town if he was willing to pay. 80gp and a month's work should be able to provide giant-sized clothing for three. Doubling the cost would half the time.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

A group of 15 horsemen ride into the Axe and Lion lumberyard. With a bit of asking, they quickly find Amistad and introduce themselves. Lord Commander Bremen dismounts and speaks directly to Blackjack. I've heard about what you've done, facing off against river trolls and all. Impressive stuff. And I heard you're planning a new community. I've restored the Order of the Knights of Baudhil and we are making the area across the river safe for homesteaders. That community you planned would do well over there. Think a bit on that while you're planning.

In the meantime, I'm wondering what your costs for lumber are. Though I've restored the Order, the White Tower is in need of some repair, and the barracks and stables need to be raised from the ground up.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

greets Bremen with a nod and calls Godric forth from the office. He pulls out a map of the trail from the ford to the scouted areas west of the river.

"I have plans for a logging / frontier community here, close to the confluence of the Orctongue and the River Gaul. Your Neachdain is the eastern running of the Gaul is understand. I have seen those swamps and know some good Lignum wood may be found there but it is hard logging and with the wug' tribes and swamp critters it is no place to camp long. Here we have a small stead farmed by some giants. I hope to trade peaceably with them and 'by and by' get friendly with the centaurs and forest dwellers. Set another mill up at the logging site. Then we could cut travel costs and float the lumber you need on rafts across the river. We'll have new teams loggings felling within a fortnight.

My loggers are currently building and most of the felled wood in the yard has been requisitioned by Duke Gaul to fortify the township from the dragon. We have a good operation set up, improving daily as saw blades are re-toothed and the winch erected. I can get the lumber planked and seasoned here reasonably quickly."

Amistad looks at the armed men with Bremen."A few miles north from here we have a palisade being fortified by some ogres, refugees filtering across from your side of the river. Fleeing ... ?, kobolds too reported further away. I met with their leader before, Aagrok and hope he may be persuaded to engage in the prosperity and growth of the settlements. That extra man power, ogre power would increase logging volume and keep security for all of us if we could come to a beneficial agreement. Perhaps when you have time you will scout them with me and my rangers?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#28 Post by Alethan »

Willow of Fairweather

A young woman, long hair loosely held back with a cord, approaches the lumberyard callously and asks for the man named Amistad. A studded rod of cold iron with a wood and leather wrapped handle hangs at her belt.

When he is pointed out, she approaches. "You left a message with my friend, Earc, that you needed help from Beith. Renfry can't make it. I'm Willow." She holds out a gloved hand for him to shake.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

"Willow of Fairweather, I am the logger Amistad.
Please, step inside my office."

Amistad makes introductions, Godric his site forman, Achaedany his retainer. Unrolling a vellum map of the known area West of the river, Amistad explains his plans.

In a few days I hope to get friendly terms with the cyclops family. Trading with them can help establish the logging frontier and provide mutual benefits. I would also like to negotiate with the elder denizens of the forest. We will log, we will fell trees but I hope to do so on eco-friendly terms. A wise nature cleric may be able to instruct us in the art of forestry and planting new saplings.

In the meanwhile I hope to scout out a fortified camp of ogres. Rather than drive them off, engage them for work.

Will you aid such an enterprise? The profits may come slowly but the experiences will be many. Especially still with the continued Morlock menace."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#30 Post by Alethan »

Willow of Fairweather

Willow studies the map closely for a bit before nodding slowly.

"Surely any venture determined to seek the peaceful integration of ogre and giant and human is one in which Beith has a vested interest. Thus it is one in which I have a vested interest. Yes, I will assist you with this. What sort of time frame are you looking at? How much is needed by way of provisions?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Spearmint wrote:Amistad

greets Bremen with a nod and calls Godric forth from the office. He pulls out a map of the trail from the ford to the scouted areas west of the river.

"I have plans for a logging / frontier community here, close to the confluence of the Orctongue and the River Gaul. Your Neachdain is the eastern running of the Gaul is understand. I have seen those swamps and know some good Lignum wood may be found there but it is hard logging and with the wug' tribes and swamp critters it is no place to camp long. Here we have a small stead farmed by some giants. I hope to trade peaceably with them and 'by and by' get friendly with the centaurs and forest dwellers. Set another mill up at the logging site. Then we could cut travel costs and float the lumber you need on rafts across the river. We'll have new teams loggings felling within a fortnight.

My loggers are currently building and most of the felled wood in the yard has been requisitioned by Duke Gaul to fortify the township from the dragon. We have a good operation set up, improving daily as saw blades are re-toothed and the winch erected. I can get the lumber planked and seasoned here reasonably quickly."

Amistad looks at the armed men with Bremen."A few miles north from here we have a palisade being fortified by some ogres, refugees filtering across from your side of the river. Fleeing ... ?, kobolds too reported further away. I met with their leader before, Aagrok and hope he may be persuaded to engage in the prosperity and growth of the settlements. That extra man power, ogre power would increase logging volume and keep security for all of us if we could come to a beneficial agreement. Perhaps when you have time you will scout them with me and my rangers?"
Bremen is disappointed that lumber won't be available for some time but is understanding. My men will be patrolling the road between Gaul and the White Tower daily, so word can be sent whenever lumber's ready.

Which side of the river are the ogres on? They are of little concern to me until they are on the East side of the river. I've dealt with ogres and orcs in the southlands. I don't know that peace is an option, but I'll wish you luck in trying.

As for logging primeval, virgin forests and then offering to toss in saplings in exchange, I don't see how the centaurs, ents, dryads, pixies, etc will ever go for that. I'll be interested to see how Willow can justify it, either, since it isn't for sustenance, but rather a for-profit operation. I'm looking forward to seeing (and learning)! Good luck! :)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#32 Post by Alethan »

Willow will ensure it is sustainable logging, not clear-cut logging, if she is around any of the logging process. ;)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

If not, let Clay know and we can start tree spiking, eco-terrorism campaign against Blackjack. :)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

To Bremen "I will source some good planking and wood for roofing timbers from my local sources and send a wagon load across the river with an invoice. You are not available to scout out these ogres personally? Perhaps you can grace us with a couple of your knights,"

To Willow,"I have employed the towns seamstresses to tailor out wear and gifts for the Cyclops and the smithy is fashioning a long spear to help their fishing efforts. I hope the gifts will lead to some reciprocal rewards. They will not be ready until Aug 4th. I hoped to have a 'giantish' language translator with us when we contact them. In the meanwhile I want to get on the ogres' good side before then so I will leave tomorrow."

The palisade is reputed only 8 miles away so we could trek there. In case of camping I am taking two days provisions. If you have few, Amistad can cover the gear like oil and food.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#35 Post by Alethan »

Willow nods. "I'm provisioned enough already, then, and can leave in the morning if that is the plan. I don't speak the tongue of Ogre, but do speak Orcish well enough, though it is of the Southron variety."

"May the blessings of Beith be with us on our journey," she says clearly and eloquently before heading off to the Frogmorton House to introduce herself to the halfling family.

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Frogmorton Ford”