The Axe and Lion Lumberyard

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The Axe and Lion Lumberyard

#1 Post by Marullus »

This is currently a construction site, with men working to build structures designed by "Blackjack" Amistad.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Axe and Lion Lumberyard

#2 Post by Spearmint »

A fresh painted white picket fence skirts the perimeter of the Lion Logging industry. Under construction is a small sandstone structure that comprises Amistads' personal quarters, a main office and side kitchen and workers mess room. A stable extension doubles as a covered workspace, the barn doors bearing a large shield plaque each emblazoned with the Axe wielding Lion logo.

Entering the office through glazed doors you are welcomed by a heart warming fire and an impressive oak desk. Several ornaments decorate the room, pride of place over the mantel shelf a tribute to draft horse Pingu.

In the absence of Amistad, you may be greeted by foreman Godric, an amiable and knowledgeable forester.

Design and build facilities, bespoke furniture and artisan craftwork, construction wood and flat pack DIY cabinets made and logged to order.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

05 July 2016
Earc Orctongue

Earc arrives and inquiries as to the whereabouts of Blackjack.

When he finds him, he hands him his potions and says, "Let's discuss our next venture. I have bills to pay and knowledge to find. If you want to go delving instead of floating, we have two known entrances to explore. One might be easier to get to if we just head north from Toll's Tower and go to the remains at the fork in the river. The other has cyclops in the area, but also offers a bit of shelter since the tunnel goes into the mountain. Both have merit and fault."
Last edited by Marullus on Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added date.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

Amistad welcomes his friend to the yard and gives him a trowel pointing the way to a wall, "All hands welcome.". Amistad take his share of the recovered potions.

I think heading into the tunnels is fine. I would expect them to lead to central places instead of several underground communities living separately. Unless they are individual mines. The Cyclops are too large to follow us so makes sense to pick the closest one. Akaraa the guard linguist should come along too, perhaps as your retainer? You know the sage better than I and he seems to be overseeing the Morlock study from a distance so it will be extra information that he will be happy to pay for.

I will check about the tavern and see who else in in town, perhaps a couple of dwarves or sneaking halflings will join us and a cleric if one is about.

What date are you ready to set off?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by Alethan »

Earc Orctongue

Earc nods, "I can see if Akara will join us under my lead."
"My concern with the cyclops is not that they follow us down the hole, but that we bump into them on the way to the mine. Or when we are returning and possibly not at full strength. But if that is the route you want to take, then we can do that. We will need a new pack animal, if possible, I think, and someone to watch it. Or not plan on bringing much back with us. If we go to the entrance near the cyclops, then I'll just need to make a trip back to my tower to prepare some things and we can leave any time after that."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Zhym »

Olaf makes the trek from Gaul to the Ford. Stepping into the lumberyard, he calls out, "Who be going to the mines?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad greets the dwarf Olaf, inviting him around the stonework of his building.

"My men can finish this start up, extra monies will develop the property a bit more, fortify the walls and warehousing. "

He seems pleased with the progress so far. After the tour, which doesn't take very long he speaks expedition business with Olaf. "The mines, well I believe they are that. Ten feet tall perfectly circular tunnels, leading dead straight and then straight down, much like a drain pipe. The plumb line of the excavation is very good but also very old. We believe the Morlocks shelter inside. An ancient race, do you have any knowledge of such legendary creatures? Everyone who comes takes an equal share, our retainers too. My last delves with the young mage bought a rich bounty for all involved so I don't doubt we have the skill and guile to seek out these creatures, recover lost heirlooms and treasure and begin to put an end to the wicked hybrids that populate the forest and north swamps. More than that I do not know though the wise sage will pay handsomely for revealed information. The Dukes' guard have a linguist studying the vocabulary so that may help us in any encounter. These creatures are sneaky and strong, they make excellent crafted items of unusual lightness and quality. So despite their Neanderthal appearance they are highly intelligent and should not be underestimated. Perhaps even leaders have learned nefarious cultic or arcane arts, they might even breed you with some half ill gotten wood hag or captured swamp wug."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by Alethan »

Earc Orctongue

"Well..." Earc chimes in, "they EMPLOY highly crafted items. And their clothing appears to be well-made, with tailoring techniques far superior than anything a normal tailor around here would ever employ. Maybe they make it themselves or maybe there is another force at work here. We don't really know yet. All I do know is that you don't want to get hit with one of their darts. It'll drop a full-sized river troll in its tracks."

"I'm Earc, by the way," he adds, holding an outstretched hand to Olaf, "of Toll's Tower."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Zhym »

Olaf shakes hands all around.

"Perfectly circular, eh?" He repeats. "Don't sound like the work of any dwarves I be knowin'. Ain't no reason to dig that way. It be harder to make a tunnel big enough fer a person round than square and round tunnels be no better. Sure, there be some structural goodness, but much worse to use."

Olaf gets a deeply pensive look. Or he has gas.

"I think I want to see me these mines. When we leave?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Marullus »

So, we have a potential new expedition with:
Amistad
Earc
Olaf
Achaedany (pending roll)
Akkara (pending roll)

Setting out July 6th, which will reset the game clock to that date. Are you guys going to do so? Other prep first? Should I open a thread for you? (We'll handle recruiting/conversation with those NPCs in the expedition thread once opened.)

You can also reach out to Corbin the Lucky, Tomal, and Casper White, who are PCs in town.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Spearmint, there is a draft horse for sale under Town Business (Gaul) for 80gp. Earc doesn't even have half that, I'm afraid. So we might have to head out without a beast of burden. Of course, if we're going underground, then that might not be a good thing anyway. We'd have to leave someone to watch the horse or risk it being slaughtered and eaten (again).

For an exploratory mission, we can probably do without one. We should invest in some silk rope, though. We don't need it to get down, since hand and foot holds were added, but we might need it for later. Light isn't a problem anymore, fortunately!

I think Earc will make a quick trip up to his tower to pick up a few things and leave instructions for his guards. Then pick up a few supplies - rope and food - before he's ready to head out. But otherwise he is pretty ready.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Zhym »

Olaf has his mule Pony, FWIW. Olaf also has a shovel, a pick that can double as weapon and mining tool, a grappling hook, and 50' of hemp rope (marked at 5' and 1' increments).

Do we have a pen, ink, and paper for mapping?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by Alethan »

Earc has already mapped the route to the cave...

viewtopic.php?p=267214#p267214

(No. 9... No. 9... No. 9...)

He has quill and ink and parchment for mapping the tunnels.

And Continual Light spells has been cast on two pieces of driftwood, so we don't have to worry about torches or lanterns. And they can be easily dropped and weapons drawn without danger of losing light.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad is ready to go.

He won't get a horse for the delve. Just need to update some equipment.
I thought the roll for the retainers to continue with us had already been agreed upon. Archeadany said yes, Alcide no, just a roll for Akaraa to be Earc's retainer/aide.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

• You rolled a Morale Check at the end of the expedition to see if, having been out with you, if they'll ever adventure with you again.
  • You roll a Recruiting check at the beginning of an expedition to see if the Retainers are willing to go on this specific expedition, or if they'd prefer to hold out in town for the next one. (This still needs to be rolled.)
  • For Alcide, I gave you an option since I clarified and updated the Hirelings vs Retainers rules. He isn't willing to expedition anymore, but he is willing to accept a position as Henchmen instead of Hireling - this would make him a second Foreman at your lumber mill, give him a share of the profits. He'll lead your lumberjacks into the woods while Godric handles operations at the Mill itself. You haven't confirmed if you wish that arrangement.
  • If you want to take Achaedany into your full-time employ, you can also offer her a share of the Lumberyard and make her a permanent henchman in addition to her shares from your expedition. You then no longer have to roll to recruit her and only do morale checks for extreme circumstances.
Please make sure all your item XP is spent before you depart.

A reminder to me: I did give you XP for your Expedition Tribute where the bard lauded your work against the troll.

If Olaf is leaving Pony behind, he needs to pay stabling in town before he goes.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Zhym »

How far in advance does Olaf need to pay the stabling?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Marullus »

Hyde would like two weeks pre-payment before an adventurer leaves town. (14sp)

Olaf also needs food and lodging from 25 May to 06 July. (Not sure if you already did 25 May to 02 June.) That's six weeks of rest, which can provide benefits depending on what quality of life you had during that time: viewtopic.php?f=353&t=5467#p245397

Earc and Amistad, you both invested in good meals, so you'll both have the +2 bonus to saves for the first 6 days of the expedition. I'll ask that you keep track of that.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Spearmint »

not sure what happened with Alcide, if he ever took up the offer of employment within the lumber yard or not. I ask since other folk are potentially trying to recruit him.

Also can you give me an up to date status on the yard and Godric, it will help for when Amistad comes back and decides what to do next.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Marullus »

• For Alcide, I gave you an option since I clarified and updated the Hirelings vs Retainers rules. He isn't willing to expedition anymore, but he is willing to accept a position as Henchmen instead of Hireling - this would make him a second Foreman at your lumber mill, give him a share of the profits. He'll lead your lumberjacks into the woods while Godric handles operations at the Mill itself. You haven't confirmed if you wish that arrangement.
I'll let you back-date the recruiting of Alcide in this case. You need to confirm you're doing this, then do the rolls ([2d6] until you get a 5 or below, or a 9 or above) to see if he accepts.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Spearmint »

Alcide retainer roll: Logging offer [2d6] = 11

I think that means he may decide that further logging enterprise in the forest is not for him, after all he is renowned as the 'River Ranger' and after surviving terrors and trolls with Earc and Amistad, maybe a new crew will give him more luck. Perhaps he sees the profits taking too long to grow in the Axe and Lion.

Still Amistad wishes him all the best and hopes he has good fortune in further expeditions.

Do you add his availability into the mercenary camp circle?

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Frogmorton Ford”