CLOSED: The Artificer's Forge

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

CLOSED: The Artificer's Forge

#1 Post by Enoch »

A solid round building of mortared stone and one story high, its chimneys now are cold and quiet. The Artificers of the Blackhelm clan moved on to the Halls of the King, shuttering all the doors and windows of this building and leaving it quietly behind.

Old Description:
Weaponsshop_Dwarf.jpg
Weaponsshop_Dwarf.jpg (54.93 KiB) Viewed 1432 times
Thanrir, Master Artificer of the Blackhelm Clan, works in his forge, adjacent to the Great Hall. Several dwarven apprentices toil under his tutoring, the fires burning fiercely in this overheated chamber. As a master dwarven craftsman, his works bring out the inner nature of the materials that he works with, a natural process of imbuing their wares.

Wares:
150gp - Dwarven Chainmail (AC 5, 15lbs, 2001xp, sized to order)
900gp - Dwarven Platemail (AC 3, 25lbs, 2001xp, sized to order)

Services:
Dwarf PCs [3d6 check] or other race PCs [4d6 check] can succeed in a Charisma check to request Thanrir's services. He can work with rare materials (dragon's teeth, etc) to make them into weapons and other goods. The cost and imbued item XP is set per project.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Artificer's Forge

#2 Post by Zhym »

June 4 (?)

Fingers makes the trip out to the dwarf settlement and wanders into the forge.

"Uh, hi. I got this ring and I heard you might have some idea what it means?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

Fingers travels on 02 June and meets with the Artificer on the morning of 03 June. He shows the hoary dwarven elder a silver ring with the symbol of a cloud with three lightning bolts on a shield shape and set with 7 Clear Quartzes. It is of kingly workmanship.

The dwarf cannot contain his shock and calls in several other dwarves to inspect it with him, reverent discussion in low tones. Finally, Thanrir responds in common to the human teenager. "How is it that you came to hold this ring?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Zhym »

"It was part of a cache of dwarves stuff we found in a tower full of ghouls a little ways to the northwest," answers Fingers. "Why? Is it important?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Marullus »

"A cache? Oh, yes, the hobbit said as much. We desire to see more of these items."

He gathers himself, his tone changing to one of honorific oratory. "This was the ring of Thyrren Blackhelm, slayer of the dragon Sslesik and advisor to Jarkul, the Golden King. It was crafted by the Artificer Frumkiln for the occasion of Thyrren's marriage to Jarkul's sister and the unification of the three Lightening Houses under his banner. Thyrren begot two sons, Thyrren son of Thyrren, and Thanrir. Thyrren son of Thyrren inherited this ring to remind him of his leal duty to both King and Clan and his oath-bound role through his parent's union in uniting the kingdoms. He wore it as he accompanied King Jarkul northward, those tales being already known but grown to legend in the annals of the dwarves. Where dwarven coins can be circulated by many hands, this ring found with the armor of King Jarkul's line, may his name ever shine, shows that the Blackhelm line remained true to their oaths and found glory in this land beyond the annals of known dwarfdom."

He straightens up formally, still well below Fingers chin. "I am Thanrir Blackhelm, son of Thyrrir, son of Thanrir, son of Thyrren, son of Thanrir, son of Thyrren Blackhelm, to who this ring was given. This ring belongs to me."

(Expecting the legal argument that must follow... :) Does Fingers ultimately seek dwarven favor by returning the ring under dwarven law, or profit by demanding recompense under human law? Go ahead and narrate forward to that decision point.)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Zhym »

Fingers takes a step back and looks at the ring, impressed. "Family heirloom, huh?"

He sneezes and wipes his nose, then gives the dwarf a questioning look. "But how do I know your story's true? I know dwarves are supposed to be honorable and all that, but your story seems really convenient for you. The very first dwarf I ask about this ring says it belongs to him? I mean, what are the odds?"

Seeing the dwarves start to get agitated at his aspersions to their honor, he holds up a hand. "Look," he says, "If this really is your great great great grandfather's ring, I suppose it's worth more to you than it is to me. But I risked my life getting it. It's not fair to tell me to just give it to you."

Fingers seems thoughtful for a moment. "Isn't a 'finders fee' customary for the return of lost heirlooms?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Marullus »

He grouses about 'custom' and 'rights' and the proper view of salvage as thievery under dwarven law, but it is clear that the extrinsic value to him is far higher than the intrinsic value to Fingers. He eventually agrees to the "human value" for the ring's safe return.

600gp (one sack full) and Dubious future relations, or 1200gp (two sacks full) with Unfriendly future relations.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Zhym »

Ungrateful little stumps. You'd think they'd offer a reward for the return of something so important and be glad for it. ;)

Also, sacks full of gold aren't as useful to Fingers, being hard to carry around and all. Something more portable is more useful to him—like a gem, or...a ring?

Am I correct in thinking that the 1100 gp appraisal from before is the value without knowing the ring's particular history?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Marullus »

As the post on dwarven law says, there's a reason Dwarves hold so many grudges. :)

You are cashing in the ring, which defaults to cash. ;) You have a huge benefit already that they are giving you full value instead of the 25% from the merchants. Fingers needs to think what he wants the money for. Construct something? Personal tributes?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Zhym »

Fingers doesn't need the money for anything at the moment. If he can't trade the ring for a gem or something portable and if the dwarves are going to be pissed at him whatever he does other than handing it over for free, he'll just keep it.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Marullus »

It is a fair point, as this is an odd situation. They'll offer you a 1,000gp diamond as an even exchange.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Zhym »

Thanks. Fingers accepts that deal.

Sheet updated.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Marullus »

Thanrir is eminently pleased, puffing his chest with pride at the acquisition of the ring. He produces a diamond and passes it to Fingers then returns to discussing the ring and retelling the legend several times to other dwarves.

(No disposition change - remains at Dubious for Fingers.)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Zhym wrote:Ungrateful little stumps.
And in Finger's defense, it wasn't salvaged. It was hard won against undead monsters, likely created by that dude, Zhint! That's why Clay inst' even going near those greedy thugs! Other than the ones he hired... From here...

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Ablesforth heads south Idmi d'dum to visit the Artificer. Greetings, Brother Thanrir. This armor you sold to me is amazing. Saved my life again and again. As did your kin-folk I was traveling with. I'm heading to the abyss, where I expect to face infernal creations and undead for my goddess. I hear that silver has more effect than wood, so I was wondering if you might-could set silver to the face of My maul, Persuader.
Per my OOC conversation in my private thread:
Marullus wrote:You need 20 silver pieces per plate (is your maul one-faced or two?) and then 20gp to pay the dwarf to modify it.
24gp deducted.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Marullus »

Thanrir strokes his beard. "Tis a man either brave or foolish, out in the wilds with a working tool like this. You need some banding, facing plates...aye. shave the head, reinforce the haft... It'll be a bit heavier, but that's the point, aye? I hope you won't be setting joints with it after, though... Once I make it a proper weapon."

He accepts the simple commission, upgrading the setting mail to add silver facing plates. A few days later Ablesforth is able to pick up the improved weapon.

"May spooks and bogeys alike flee before you an' leave good folk alone, preacher," he offers as he hands it over.

I wasn't looking at the book before, sorry. The LL Basic example for a proper silver weapon is 10x cost.
I need to ask you subtract another 39gp for the modification.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able smiles when he retrieves the tool-made-weapon. You do yerself and yer people proud, friend. But though I've got the calling from Eruanna, framing runs in my blood. I can't promise she won't- from time-to-time- get used on timbers. Able offers a handshake and pays the balance of his debt.

I thought that it should be 10x the cost, but you sounded so reasonable with just adding face plates. This makes more sense. sheet updated.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Zhym »

July 19

Lug visits the dwarf settlement as soon as he reaches town. At the forge, he lays Rhybek's axe, shield, and amulet on a table.

"These belonged to a dwarf called Rhybek. He got turned to stone when he picked a fight with a cocky trice. I heard you dwarves got rules about who is supposed to get a dead guy's stuff. So, who's supposed to get Rhybek's stuff? I don't think he's got any kids. Not that he talked about, anyway."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Marullus »

Thanrir, Master Artificer, strokes his beard thoughtfully, consulting with a few other dwarves "We've heard of Rhybek Baerdrum, of course. He's no kin to us, though. I don't know the last time I met a Baerdrum and you'd have to search much of the Southlands." He examines the shield, axe, and amulet carefully, taking note of their identifying traits. "If any Baerdrum comes asking, I'll direct them your way. As he was your companion and trusted you with his life," he pauses, that being awkward now that he's dead, "...you're likely the closest claimant until then."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Zhym »

Lug either doesn't recognize or doesn't share the dwarf's sense of awkwardness at Rhybek the dead dwarf having trusted Lug with his life. "Ain't much you can do to protect a dude who picks fights with something that turns you to stone," he says. "At least he's really well preserved. Thanks for the advice, though."

"Hey, you guys have lots of lore and stuff. You don't know a way to turn a stoned dwarf back into a not-stoned dwarf, do you?"

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Idmi d’dum”