OOC Table Talk

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

OOC Table Talk

#1 Post by Spartakos »

While you can post OOC comments in the main threads, I'd prefer to keep those comments brief and germane to the immediate situation. For any extended discussion, please post in here.

I will also maintain the group's marching order here.

Double File

Single File

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: OOC Table Talk

#2 Post by Spartakos »

First topic of group discussion: I would be perfectly content to 'fast forward' past the part where you all meet, get acquainted, and decide to venture out together as an adventuring band. It lets us avoid the trite "you all meet up in a bar" scene.

If any of you would care to establish ties among yourselves due to compatible backstories, that's cool with me. Otherwise, lets assume you've all met, discussed the local rumors of the Caves of Chaos, and decided that you all stand the best chance of both survival and good looting by teaming up.

Thoughts on this?

Second topic of discussion: Marching Order. Please work one out, once everyone's characters are up.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Spearmint »

Littbarsky, named after a famous racing draft horse (!), is tall for a dwarf, above average height but not imposing, keeping his rotund figure in lithe and athletic drinking shape! He has green eyes, dark brown wavy hair with tied dreadlocks and adorned with various bones and teeth taken during skirmishes. Currently Littbarsky still wears his former guards uniform and tabard and carries a kite shield. (The shield is emblazoned with a bridge arched over two wavy blue lines. In the archway a severed troll head is displayed. This is the banner for the River Vye bridge span guards.)

After several years committed to guard duties on the infamous River Vye gorge crossing, Littbarsky has decided to quit militia duties and explore the world, intrigued by many fabulous tales from the bards and other adventurers who frequent the River Vye crossing, stories of the heaps of wealth, lusty wanton women, riches and magic to be found in exotic places. Before he gets too old and grey in the beard, Littbarsky, dwarven warrior guard, apprentice engineer and dreamer of fantastical inventions and contraptions, sets out with his motley crew of mates to discover what the 'Gods' lay before them.

The bridge of the River Vye is an important trade crossing and was built proudly Littbarsky insists by magic and dwarven engineering. The bridge is still manned and patrolled by dwarven militia, who exact a toll for safe crossing of the river gorge. Stonebridge, a dwarf hamlet exists nearby, a favourite drinking stopover for thirsty travellers. From here Littbarsky sets out to adventure the world.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Zhym »

It looks like we won't lack for fighter types. We also have a thief and a cleric. Any thoughts on what else we might be able to use? Is anyone working up an elf or MU?

The Elf cleric is sort of intriguing.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Spartakos »

Zhym wrote:It looks like we won't lack for fighter types. We also have a thief and a cleric. Any thoughts on what else we might be able to use? Is anyone working up an elf or MU?

The Elf cleric is sort of intriguing.
Aron is an Elf Cleric (which, in case anyone missed it, can cast both MU and C spells...effectively a C/MU).

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Zhym »

I hadn't noticed the "Elf" part of that. Okay.

Do clerics get bonus spells for high wisdom?

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Spartakos »

Zhym wrote:Do clerics get bonus spells for high wisdom?
Nope. Standard LL rules in that regard, just what's on the chart.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Spearmint »

Looks another 'hit first ask questions later group'. Plenty of muscle, hope we get some more divine or arcane help!

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by badams30 »

Spearmint wrote:Looks another 'hit first ask questions later group'. Plenty of muscle, hope we get some more divine or arcane help!
I started out wanting to make a cleric, somehow got distracted, but have decided on a cleric. We've got the strong guys covered. So cleric it is for me.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Zhym »

I may go with a gnome, then.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Spartakos »

Note to all; I am adding another house rule, that I forgot about, regarding "liquid weapons".

Flaming Oil: this will function similar to as described in the LL book, but I am changing the damage to 2d4 on the 1st round and 1d4 on the 2nd.

Holy Water: this will deal 2d6 damage to undead (instead of 1d8).

Rationale behind the change: oil is a pretty darn cheap weapon, and holy water is quite expensive...yet oil is specifically noted to do full damage to most undead. Why should a 1 sp flask deal 1d8 for 2 rounds, when a 25 gp flask deals 1d8 for 1 round? Not to mention, I like to encourage PCs to fight with actual weapons, rather than becoming pyromaniacs. Hence, holy water is made more effective, and oil is made slightly less effective.

Acid is not commonly available, but if found, it will probably deal moderate damage over 2 or 3 rounds.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Spartakos wrote:First topic of group discussion: I would be perfectly content to 'fast forward' past the part where you all meet, get acquainted, and decide to venture out together as an adventuring band. It lets us avoid the trite "you all meet up in a bar" scene.

If any of you would care to establish ties among yourselves due to compatible backstories, that's cool with me. Otherwise, lets assume you've all met, discussed the local rumors of the Caves of Chaos, and decided that you all stand the best chance of both survival and good looting by teaming up.

Thoughts on this?
I'm good with this. From my experience, PbP play unfolds at a leisurely enough pace to allow room for character exposition and development in-action without tacking on a meet-n-greet prologue.

If anyone wants to hash out a backstory with Lardo, shoot me a PM.
Failure is always an option.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by ragnboneshopper »

So I just added another basher, with the difference that he's got good missile skills. Geert's a halfling, so he's also good for scouting around outdoors.

Single file, Geert's likely either scouting ahead or guarding the rear.

Double file, he's probably in the front next rank or two next to some big warrior type. He thinks he belongs there. :D

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Zhym »

Bunches of questions:
Add your Cha modifier to your roll for starting gold (so if you have 18 Cha, you would roll 3d8+3 x 10 for your gold).
The standard LL table for charisma has a reaction adjustment of -1 for 13-17 and -2 for 18. Do you have a house rule that makes the reaction adjustment use the same progression as bonuses for other attributes?

And what saving throw table do gnomes use? For that matter, it'd be handy to have the full description. For example, what languages do they speak? Any special abilities like the halfling's bonus versus size L opponents, etc? Do they need thieves' tools or spell books? Do they start with one 1st-level and one 2nd-level the same as MUs and elves do? Do they get the bonus spells for intelligence?.

Is a hand axe the same as a throwing axe?

Sorry about the flood of questions.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Spartakos »

Don't worry about the questions, I'd much rather answer them then have confusion. :)
Zhym wrote:
Add your Cha modifier to your roll for starting gold (so if you have 18 Cha, you would roll 3d8+3 x 10 for your gold).
The standard LL table for charisma has a reaction adjustment of -1 for 13-17 and -2 for 18. Do you have a house rule that makes the reaction adjustment use the same progression as bonuses for other attributes?
Apparently, I do...I'll add it to the house rules thread. Sorry about that...I have no idea how I overlooked that the Cha chart is different from the others. In my basic D&D rules cyclopedia, all the ability score bonuses are standardized, and I guess I assumed LL was the same on that score (since for everything except Cha, it is).
And what saving throw table do gnomes use? For that matter, it'd be handy to have the full description. For example, what languages do they speak? Any special abilities like the halfling's bonus versus size L opponents, etc? Do they need thieves' tools or spell books? Do they start with one 1st-level and one 2nd-level the same as MUs and elves do? Do they get the bonus spells for intelligence?.
I'll put a full write up on the house rules thread, but I'll answer these here:
1.) Gnomes save as dwarf/halflings, and fight as thieves.
2.) They speak Common, Gnome, Dwarf, Halfling, and Goblin.
3.) They do not need thieves tools, as they can't pick locks or find/remove traps...their only thieves abilities (Pick Pockets, Move Silently, Hide in Shadows, Detect Noise, and Read Languages) they can do with just their bodies and their wits.
4.) Gnomes use spellbooks like MU/Elves, and start with the same number (two 1st one 2nd base, +1 1st per Int bonus point). They can scribe spells from other gnomes' books, or from MU/Elf books/scrolls, if the spell is on the Gnome list. They can likewise use MU/Elf spell scrolls, and RSW usable by MUs.
5.) Special abilities: 60' infravision, Find Secret Doors (as an elf), -2 AC vs. size Large creatures (as a halfling)
Is a hand axe the same as a throwing axe?
Yes, sorry 'bout that.

Also, here are links to the tables...are having the tables in the posts causing trouble for anyone else? I sized them so that they should be fully visible in the window, are they not?
Would it be preferable to just put the links there, instead of the whole table?

Arms & Armor:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Class List:
XP Table:
Gnome spells:
Cleric spells:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Zhym »

Thanks! Ampersand Mxyzptlk Kerfuffle Humperdink Wongdoodle Biddleshaft the Third is about ready to go. I might get him some more equipment before we start out, but I might not.

I think the embedded sheets are fine—it's just handy to have the links too. Maybe you could add the link for each sheet in the post the sheets are, er, posted in?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#17 Post by Scott308 »

I do most everything on the forums on my phone, with the exception of character creation. Unfortunately, I get an error when I try to see the tables, whether embedded or linked- on my phone anyway. I'll have to work on my character Sunday when I get on the PC.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Spartakos »

Zhym wrote:I think the embedded sheets are fine—it's just handy to have the links too. Maybe you could add the link for each sheet in the post the sheets are, er, posted in?
That's a good suggestion, and yeah, can do.
Scott308 wrote:I do most everything on the forums on my phone, with the exception of character creation. Unfortunately, I get an error when I try to see the tables, whether embedded or linked- on my phone anyway. I'll have to work on my character Sunday when I get on the PC.
That's cool. Sorry about the google docs, but building tables in bbcode is annoying as hell. I'll probably do it eventually, though.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Spartakos »

Ok, party is shaping up nicely. Right now, the lineup looks like:

Fighter
Dwarf
Halfling
Gnome
Cleric
Elf Cleric
Thief

Just waiting on Scott (who said he'd try to TCB this weekend) and balrog (who I actually haven't heard from since initial interest on 10/21).
Scott, if you could let people know what direction you're leaning as far as character class, I think you guys could hash out a marching order.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#20 Post by Scott308 »

Based on party makeup so far, it'll be either an elf or a mage- something to provide some arcane ability as that is somewhat lacking.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Return to “Adventure on the Borderlands of Lamora (LL)”