Third Expedition - The Caves of Chaos

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Third Expedition - The Caves of Chaos

#121 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Cormac will attack the nearest foe with out any care for the foe's survival. Cormac attack w/Battleaxe [1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4, damage [1d8+1] = 3+1 = 4
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Zhym »

Ampersand Mxyzptlk Kerfuffle Humperdink Wongdoodle Biddleshaft the Third stays out of the fray for the moment, not wanting to spoil his invisibility by attacking.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#123 Post by Scott308 »

Eglistrum Paharis

Angry (but not entirely surprised) that they were betrayed by their captives, the mage leaves cover, saying words of mystic power. A purple bolt of crackling energy flies from his fingertips straight to the chest of one of the crossbow wielding hobgoblins (HX1) even as he approaches the prisoner who sold them out, his eyes burning with rage.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#124 Post by Spartakos »

Initiative:
Initiative for monsters: [1d6] = 5
Initiative for party: [1d6] = 5

A chaotic brawl erupts. The hobgoblin crossbowmen trigger their weapons at point-blank range; one quarrel smashes into Henry's shoulder, piercing his mail (5 damage, Henry is at 1 HP). The other punches through Lardo's thigh, nearly knocking him down (3 damage, Lardo is at 1 HP). Eglistrum stands from behind his cover, words of power flowing from his mouth; with a gesture, he casts a sorcerous bolt that slays one of the hobgoblins in a flash of light (7 damage, Hx1 killed).

Sham trades blows with the hobgoblin spearman, but neither can score a hit; Henry, despite his wound, delivers a powerful blow that nearly breaks the hobgoblin's arm (4 damage, still alive). Cormac and his opponent are likewise evenly matched, but the injured Lardo tries to hamstring their enemy and nearly succeeds (4 damage, still alive).

Saeros is able to evade his opponent's surprise attack, but quarters are too close for him to wield his sword effectively. Eglistrum moves to aid him, staff gripped firmly and a murderous light glinting in his eyes. Kal also protects himself from the other prisoner, but his clumsy counterattack fails to hit. Kyle, however, cooly drives his spearpoint through the prisoner's back, twisting it as he goes down (6 damage, kill). Sister Valentina steps up to assist Henry, plying her own warhammer, but the injured hobgoblin's armor deflects the blow.

The injured hobgoblins stubbornly keep fighting, perhaps thinking that turning to flee would only result in their being cut down. The remaining crossbowman, steps back into the passage and reaches for the lever for the secret door...

Rolls:
Actions!

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#125 Post by KingOfCowards »

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Zhym »

If Ampersand Mxyzptlk Kerfuffle Humperdink Wongdoodle Biddleshaft the Third has a clear path to the door, the little gnome tries to scoot past it before the remaining crossbowman can close it.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#127 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Bleeding profusely from his thigh, Lardo pulls back, swearing at Saeros to move up to the melee. "Don't waste your time with this bugger," he growls. "I'll take care of him." He'll deliver a coup de grace to the bound hobgoblin.
Failure is always an option.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#128 Post by badams30 »

Henry - Priest

Henry does his best to bring his mace down on the hobgoblin who struck him, trying to ignore the pain of his wound.

[1d20+1] = 8+1 = 9 YOINK! SWISH!

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#129 Post by Spartakos »

Initiative:
Initiative for monsters: [1d6] = 3
Initiative for party: [1d6] = 3

Henry and Sham continue to do battle with their badly injured opponent; he manages to fend off their blows, .but is too sorely hurt to pose much of a threat to them. While he is busy with the two men, Sister Valentina warily circles and times her stroke just right; her hammer crunches down on the goblin's helm and staves it in, along with the skull beneath (5 damage, kill).

Cormac grits his teeth fiercely and buries his axe in the other hobgoblin's gut, rending mail and flesh alike (6 damage, kill), but as he steps into the swing the goblin's spear slides into a joint in his new armor, biting deep (4 damage; Cormac is at 5 HP).

Lardo pulled away from the melee, calling to Saeros to switch places, but seeing Cormac fell the hobgoblin, the elf instead took another ill-timed swing at their rebellious prisoner. Even while the hobgoblin struggled desperately to fight his way free despite his bonds, Lardo slipped up casually and drove his sword into the nape of the creature's neck, cleaving his spine and letting him drop gracelessly to the stone floor (5 damage, kill).

Lardo, sorry if this wasn't clear from the rolls for last round, but the hobgoblin prisoners--though bound--were not helpless and could not be simply dispatched at will; while their hands were tied, they were being marched not carried (so their feet were free) and no one described stripping their armor. I assessed a -2 on their attack rolls with unarmed combat, and gave others a +2 on attack rolls to hit them (and of course, they could not wield weapons). I decided, since that one was already engaged with Saeros, to give you backstab damage as well.

Kal had started towards the fracas, but Kyle flipped his spear around and heaved it across the room at the fleeing hobgoblin. It hissed through the air a yard to the humanoid's left, and the ugly brute gave the party a nasty grin and a rude gesture as the stone door slid shut, blocking it from view.

I ruled that since initiative was tied, there was not time for Eglistrum and Kal to cross the distance before the hobgoblin was able to close the door; I did allow a missile attack by Kyle, since he had it in hand.

Rolls: Ampersand Only:
The invisible gnome adroitly avoids the chaotic melee, and manages to slip through the secret door right before it closes. The hobgoblin is hurrying down the hall to the storeroom where the goblin women were imprisoned.
Actions?

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#130 Post by KingOfCowards »

Sham pauses to assess the damage taken from the fight and then curses again. We are still in the goblin section of these caves, so we should be able to access the hidden catch to open the secret door that the captives showed us. "According to Ampersand's report there were six hobgoblin guards posted near by, only four showed up and one fled. That means we have at least three more through that door, and they might be getting help. The tricky bastards."

The dwarf will give the group time to heal up before opening the secret door.
In a quiet voice he calls to the room, "Gnome, are you here?"

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#131 Post by Scott308 »

Eglistrum Paharis

The mage will quickly begin removing hobgoblin ears.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#132 Post by badams30 »

Brother Henry - Priest

Henry briefly looks at his wound, shrugs and then says to Sister Valentina "Let's check on the injured, shall we?" And he'll quickly triage all the wounded to see who is most in need of healing.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Zhym »

Ampersand Mxyzptlk Kerfuffle Humperdink Wongdoodle Biddleshaft the Third:
The invisible little gnome ponders opening the secret door again to allow the others to make a quick pursuit. Realizing they could open the door themselves if they want to, he quietly follows the escaping hobgoblin, being careful to stay out of the way should it turn back around.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#134 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Cormac the proud warrior looks half defeated not wanting to admit to injury "Hate to admit it but could I get a healing?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#135 Post by Spartakos »

Quick responses:

Re: triage, Henry and Lardo are each at 1 hp, and Cormac is at 5 (out of 9).

Re: Sham's query, there is no answer from your gnomish friend.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#136 Post by badams30 »

Brother Henry - Priest

Henry puts his hand on Lardo's shoulder and says "You keep trying to get yourself killed, don't you? Let's take care of this."

He'll cast Cure Lt Wounds on his BFF and make sure he's good to go.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#137 Post by KingOfCowards »

Sham gets ready to pull the catch to the hidden door, but waits for a signal from the clerics that they are ready to go.

It sounds like we got one scout on the other side of this door. Assuming that there aren't theee hobgoblins waiting for us with spears, we might want Lardo to scout ahead before we blindly walk into an army of them.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#138 Post by Spartakos »

Henry lays his hands on Lardo and casts his healing prayer, washing away his wounds as if they never were (3 hp healed, Lardo is back to full health).
Henry CLW on Lardo: [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3

Sister Valentina assists in dressing Henry and Cormac's wounds, and prepares to heal Henry, saying his injury is worst.
(Henry, if you insist, she will heal Cormac instead)

Ampersand:
The gnome hurries down the hall after the retreating hobgoblin, all the way to the storeroom where the female goblin prisoners were. When they arrive, the females are gone; instead, there are 2 hobgoblin warriors with drawn swords. They exchange words (in a language foreign to Ampersand) and a few gestures with the hobgoblin from the fight, while he reloads his crossbow, and they begin shifting crates and barrels to make a low barricade across the door.
Actions?

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#139 Post by badams30 »

Brother Henry - Priest

Henry thanks Sister Valentina for her attentions, but he asks her to heal Cormac instead of himself. "I'll be fine. I'm just going to hold back a bit as we proceed."

OOC: Probably not the most sound thing to do, but Henry would prefer others to be healed before himself. He'll just try to stay to the rear with the gear as we go forward..

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#140 Post by Gelatinous Q »

"Henry, don't be a fool," Lardo growls when his friend declines the priestess's healing. "You're banged up bad as me."

He looks to Sham about to throw the catch on the secret door. "Hold, dwarf," he says. "I'm not going in there in plain view." He takes another draft of his invisibility potion. As he shimmers out of view, he instructs: "When Sham opens the door, one of you toss a torch through the doorway. I'll move in as far as I can see."

When this is done, Lardo will proceed very cautiously through the doorway.

[OOC: 1 draft of potion subtracted]
Failure is always an option.

Return to “Adventure on the Borderlands of Lamora (LL)”