Second Expedition - The Caves of Chaos

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Second Expedition - The Caves of Chaos

#101 Post by Spartakos »

Okay, it's been a week since we moved forward, and 2 days since any of the party have chimed in; moving forward.

Initiative Round 1:
Initiative for monsters: [1d6] = 5
Initiative for party (first one stalled out): [1d6] = 6

Sham aims a thrust at a goblin, but the little brute turns it aside. Cormac's axe is thirsty, though, and not to be denied, splitting a goblin like a piece of firewood. Another goblin is ready to take the place of the fallen one, though, stepping forward with a sharp-toothed snarl.
Geert tries for a shot, but at the last instant Cormac steps into the wrong place and the arrow creases his neck (1 HP damage; Cormac is down to 5 HP).

Cormac attack vs goblins: [1d20+2] = 15+2 = 17, damage: [1d8+3] = 4+3 = 7
Geert attack vs goblin: [1d20+3] = 8+3 = 11, damage: [1d6] = 1
Friendly fire check: [1d20] = 20
Friendly fire target: [1d8] = 7

The goblins fight ferociously against the invaders to their cave; seeing Cormac as the much more threatening figure, they focus their attention on him. Still, his battle-skill and coat of mail protect him from all but minor injuries (1 HP damage; Cormac is down to 4 HP).

Goblin A target: [1d4] = 1, Goblin B target: [1d4] = 2, Goblin C target: [1d4] = 2
Goblin A vs Cormac: [1d20] = 1, damage: [1d6] = 1
Goblin B vs Cormac: [1d20] = 16, damage: [1d6] = 1
Goblin C vs Cormac: [1d20] = 5, damage: [1d6] = 6

Actions?

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#102 Post by Gelatinous Q »

OOC: assuming my action from last round (joining the melee and missing my target) will occur this round.

Also, let's have one of our torchbearers keep an eye on the entrance to our backs in case some of the goblins have circled back somehow.
Failure is always an option.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#103 Post by KingOfCowards »

Sham continues to trade blows with the goblins, but is unable to make any solids progress hand to hand.
Attack with Broadsword: [1d20+1] = 5+1 = 6, Damage: [1d8+1] = 2+1 = 3

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#104 Post by Spartakos »

Gelatinous Q wrote:OOC: assuming my action from last round (joining the melee and missing my target) will occur this round.

Also, let's have one of our torchbearers keep an eye on the entrance to our backs in case some of the goblins have circled back somehow.
Sorry Lardo, I should have addressed in narrative. You cannot join the melee because there is insufficient space; standard formation in a hallway is 2 man-sized fighters, unless all are using pole arms.
Smaller creatures (goblins, kobolds, gnomes and halflings, etc) can fit 3 abreast.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#105 Post by GreyWolfVT »

“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#106 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Spartakos wrote: Sorry Lardo, I should have addressed in narrative. You cannot join the melee because there is insufficient space; standard formation in a hallway is 2 man-sized fighters, unless all are using pole arms.
Smaller creatures (goblins, kobolds, gnomes and halflings, etc) can fit 3 abreast.
Gotcha.

In that case, Lardo himself will keep an eye on the entrance to our back and have his sling loaded and ready to go.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#107 Post by badams30 »

Henry - Cleric

Henry white knuckles his mace, keeping an eye on Cormac and any other injured. If anyone looks to be in exceptionally dire straits, he'll make his way to them to administer aid.

OOC: Damn hallway. Can we slowly withdraw to a wider room to allow more to melee?

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#108 Post by Spartakos »

badams30 wrote: OOC: Damn hallway. Can we slowly withdraw to a wider room to allow more to melee?
You can; withdrawing back to the room would take only 1 round, and would allow up to 4-5 of you to attack goblins in the hallway.
However, this would also let the goblins array themselves in the hall, and employ missile weapons against you (incurring the normal risks of friendly fire, of course).

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#109 Post by Bloodaxe »

Saeros Silversword

An Elf in chainmail with a large silvery sword in one hand, arrives behind the group.
Wait, I am a friend and ally.

His free hand gestures erratically as he mumbles strange arcane words.

Let the Goblins come forward.

===========

Saeros will cast a SLEEP spell , hoping that the party doesnt attack him and lets the Goblins come forward so he hit as many as he can with his SLEEP spell.

3 ! Damn it. :oops:

[2d4] = 3

Oh well......

Saeros will then fight in battle against the goblins if he can.

19 hit 5 damage

sword to hit [1d20+1] = 18+1 = 19 and damage [1d6+2] = 3+2 = 5

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#110 Post by badams30 »

Brother Henry - Cleric

At first startled by the sudden arrival of the Elf, Henry quickly nods and says "Hello! You have fine timing!" And Henry will back up a little bit to allow the others to withdraw to the room if they wish.

OOC: I'm not wanting to risk hitting anyone with my sling, so I'm going to back up. If the group chooses to remain in place, then I'll give my sling a try, but not sure how it'll work...

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#111 Post by Spartakos »

AAAGGH! I could have sworn I posted round 2 yesterday, I had it all written up. Today I closed the text doc without saving, so I had to put it all together again.

Apologies, Saeros, but I'm going to say this happens before your arrival on scene; that way, everyone may decide if they are going to withdraw back down the passage before I resolve your sleep spell.
(Also, for future reference, unless requested do not provide more than 1 round of rolls at a time; since you can't cast sleep and attack in the same round, that will be 2 different rounds.)

Initiative round 2
Initiative for monsters: [1d6] = 2
Initiative for party: [1d6] = 1

Sham and Cormac stand their ground against the goblins; many blows are traded, but the adventurers' armor serves to keep them hale, and the goblins' savagery prevents them from taking any wounds.

Goblin A target: [1d4] = 3, Goblin B target: [1d4] = 1, Goblin C target: [1d4] = 4
Goblin A vs Sham: [1d20] = 4, damage: [1d6] = 5
Goblin B vs Cormac: [1d20] = 10, damage: [1d6] = 3
Goblin C vs Sham: [1d20] = 5, damage: [1d6] = 6

Actions for next round? I have Saeros and Henry's.

GreyWolfVT

#112 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Cormac starts to strategically retreat for a better attacking position. "Who's the strange elf and where did he come from?" then decides to stand and fight the goblins. Cormac attack w/Battleaxe [1d20+2] = 1+2 = 3, damage [1d8+1] = 6+1 = 7
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#113 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Somewhat flabbergasted at the sight of a fully mailed elf striding up the hallway, Lardo remains in place by the south entrance.

Should Cormac and Sham withdraw to let goblins into the room, he'll take a shot with his sling.
[1d20] = 18
[1d4] = 1

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#114 Post by KingOfCowards »

Sham will try to defend the 90-degree hallway that the party currently occupies, thinking that they have a better chance to defend this area without the goblin range attacks.
Attack with Broadsword: [1d20+1] = 1+1 = 2, Damage: [1d8+1] = 2+1 = 3

OOC: I would invite our own missile weapons to fire as well. I like our chances better with a few extra attacks.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Zhym »

Ampersand Mxyzptlk Kerfuffle Humperdink Wongdoodle Biddleshaft the Third slings a stone at the goblins.

Sling (THAC0 19): [1d20+1] = 3+1 = 4 [1d4] = 4

I guess now we'll find out how bad an idea firing into melee is. ;)

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#116 Post by Spartakos »

Initiative round 3:

Initiative for monsters: [1d6] = 3
Initiative for party: [1d6] = 5

As the battle continues, the group is startled by the appearance of a mysterious elf, who offers to aid them with his magical talents and gleaming sword. While he is a stranger, at least he is no goblin, and the party takes his willingness to aid them in battle as a good sign.

Geert tries another shot from his bow, and Ampersand the Gnome Wonder joins him, lobbing a slingstone at the goblin horde. Geert's arrow nicks one of the brutes (1 HP damage to goblin C). Ampersand's shot is less skilled, and goes awry, striking Sham on a mailed shoulder. It does no real harm, but does spoil his blow.

Their new elvish ally finishes his incantation, casting a hand out towards the goblins. The 3 in the front rank all collapse in a charmed sleep (all failed saves). Even as they fall, Cormac takes a stride over one of the fallen and swings his axe, and the goblins dodge wildly to avoid his blow. The goblins, fearful of this new witchery and the party's undaunted warriors, turn to flee; Cormac swats another one down with his axe before it can scramble away (5 HP damage, kill). The remainder make a hasty retreat back around the corner, leaving their sleeping comrades to the whatever fate the adventurers have in mind. You can still hear a great deal of loud and excited babble from the mob.

Geert attack vs goblin: [1d20+3] = 14+3 = 17, damage: [1d6] = 1
Friendly fire target: [1d8] = 4
Friendly fire check: [1d20] = 10
Goblin saves for A: [1d20] = 12, B: [1d20] = 9, C: [1d20] = 9
Cormac attack vs goblins: [1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12, damage: [1d8+3] = 7+3 = 10
Morale (goblins): [2d6] = 10
Free shot for Sham: [1d20+1] = 2+1 = 3, damage: [1d8+1] = 3+1 = 4
Free shot for Cormac: [1d20+2] = 13+2 = 15, damage: [1d8+3] = 2+3 = 5

Actions?

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#117 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Lardo moves in to deliver coups de grace to those affected by the sleep spell, then starts collecting ears, checking the bodies for loot as he goes.

edit: at Bloodaxe's request, I'll hogtie and gag one of the sleeping goblins but leave him alive for interrogation/charming.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#118 Post by Scott308 »

Eglistrum Paharis

The mage will continue to keep an eye behind them. Who knows, perhaps a dwarf may show up to aid them next!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#119 Post by badams30 »

Henry - Priest

Henry looks about for any grave injuries, he notes Cormac's condition and approaches him. "Are you alright?" He pauses as he assesses Cormac's injuries and he says "Those things are chattering something fierce. Do we press the attack, or should we withdraw?"

OOC: I've only got one cure light wounds, I'm happy to use it on Cormac, but that's all I've got...

GreyWolfVT

#120 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Cormac "Not the worst I've had perhaps some rest and bandages will help take care of it."
ooc: I'm at 5/9 from what I read so I'm ok but one or two more hits could take me down depending on what is attacking.

Return to “Adventure on the Borderlands of Lamora (LL)”