Second Expedition - The Caves of Chaos

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Second Expedition - The Caves of Chaos

#21 Post by Gelatinous Q »

"Give 'em a shout and let's see what happens," Lardo says to Sham. "That map is most likely the most valuable thing these dogmen have for us. I'd rather save our strength for them's the bailiff's paying a bounty on."
Failure is always an option.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by KingOfCowards »

In kobold
"Ahoy! Kobolds. You can quit your skulking. We know about your trap. Come on out and we can discuss a treaty."

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by Spartakos »

For a time, Sham's hail is answered only by silence. But then he and the others can see reddish eyes peering back from the gloom beyond where the hidden pit lies, and a raspy voice calls back
"If you be the big ones who parleyed with Tavek, come along. We will take you to him. Keep along the walls, and you will walk safely."

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by KingOfCowards »

Sham looks back to the others without immediately answering the kobolds.
"They want us to go with them.", he says matter of factly, though his eyes show a hint of concern. He nods towards the creatures in the shadows, willing to lead the way.
Remember to stay close to the walls.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Zhym »

Ampersand Mxyzptlk Kerfuffle Humperdink Wongdoodle Biddleshaft the Third

"I hope you know what you're doing, Sham. If not, we'll end up in one heck of a jam."

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#26 Post by badams30 »

Henry - Cleric

Henry does his best to cast an encouraging glance at our hirelings and says "Let's go then!" He says quietly "Let's not let them see us sweat, eh, guys? And let's not get too far inside here, lest we get trapped."

OOC: Henry will stay near the hired help for now, hoping to keep their spirits up. He'll also keep a watchful eye on the surroundings, looking for any signs of a trap or double cross in the making.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#27 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Lardo turns and scowls at Kal and Kyle. "Well, what are we paying you lummoxes for? Light a damned torch!" And then as an afterthought, nodding toward the decoy: "And mind the pit, lest you want to be up to your ears in kobold piss."

As they ease their way in hugging the walls, Lardo keeps an eye trained on the ceiling, looking for any signs of deadfalls, nets, portcullises, etc.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by KingOfCowards »

Sham follows the kobolds, taking care to skirt the pit that the other had warned him about.
In kobold
"The dwarf that last treated with your leader was killed by the orc chief. I am sorry to say you'll have to deal with me now. It's not far to Tavek I hope. I wouldn't want to get lost trying to get our of here again." Sham will try to make small talk with the speaking kobold, and test his answers for signs of deception. He has known kobolds to be devious, but he's hoping they're not terribly smart.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#29 Post by Scott308 »

Eglistrum Paharis

The mage will follow along, making sure to stay near the wall to avoid the trap.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#30 Post by Spartakos »

21st of Shining, 11:00 am

The two lads from the keep hurry to obey Lardo's order, each lighting a torch and holding it steady to cast light for the party. The group moves past the kobolds' "sentry", the embalmed kobold corpse that fooled them last time, and--two at a time, one on either side of the corridor--move along the wall around the artfully concealed pit.

On the far side of the pit is an intersection, with tunnels branching off to either side, as well as the corridor continuing straight ahead. Waiting there are a pair of kobolds, leaning on spears and eyeing the party warily. When they see the group coming, one of them beckons with his hand, and they both turn and head straight down the corridor.

When Sham offers conversation in the barking koboldish tongue, it answers him in a high-pitched voice, and gestures to a dim light up ahead.
"Not far, Tavek not far. Just there, see?"

Sure enough, another ten yards or so and the corridor opens into a large, sprawling room. In the center is a shallow firepit filled with glowing coals, which casts a reddish light throughout the room, but the bright glare of your torches overpowers it as you enter. The cave floor is covered in numerous scraps of cloth and bedding. The owners of that bedding are crowded back against the walls...more than a score of kobolds, all gazing at you with their beady eyes. None appear openly hostile, though they look far from friendly, and several are nervously fingering daggers or axes tucked into their belts. From them comes a low muttering of voices and whining doglike sounds.

The party notices another tunnel heading off to the left, but their eyes are drawn to a pair of doorways on the far side of the room; in front of each stands a distinctive group of kobolds.

In front of the left hand entryway is a massive kobold, nearly 5' tall and much thicker in build than any you've seen before. He wears a hauberk of oiled mail and leans on a double-bitted battleaxe, and around his neck is a gold chain with a large gem pendant. In front of him stand a trio of strong-looking kobolds (though none approaching his size), each clad in an oversized mail shirt and armed with shortswords and bows. One of them Henry recognizes as Tavek, the kobold you parleyed with before.

In front of the right hand entryway, flanked by a pair of kobold guards, is a small, wizened kobold whose scaly hide is wrinkled and dewlapped. He wears a lynx pelt as a cape, and coiled about one forearm is a bright green serpent. His guards have bows as well, each with an arrow nocked.

Upon seeing you enter, Tavek takes a few strides forward, and holds up a rolled parchment, his other hand resting on the pommel of his sword.
"Big ones return. Come for this? What will you pay?"

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by KingOfCowards »

Sham greets their leader with a nod of his head.
"We have some gold, if that suits your interest. But I was hoping to barter in other terms. Pray, hear me out before you make your decision. We want to take out the goblins that run through these caves. This is in your best interest as well. With them gone, these can be your caves. This map can be to our mutual benefit."
With the last sentence, Sham motions with his hands back and forth between the two groups.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#32 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Lardo listens to the exchange between Sham and Tavek.

"Mind that temper of yours, Henry,"
he whispers to his friend. "I believe we're pretty well outnumbered here."

He keeps a hand on the pommel of his short sword in case things get ugly.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Zhym »

Ampersand Mxyzptlk Kerfuffle Humperdink Wongdoodle Biddleshaft the Third remains silent. Maybe he can't think of a rhyme at the moment.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#34 Post by badams30 »

Brother Henry - Cleric

Henry stands with his back to a wall, doing his best to look stoic and not scared. He remains silent, but keeps an eye on the surroundings.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#35 Post by Spartakos »

Tavek hesitates, his face blank, and he looks to the large kobold with the axe. The burly kobold is silent for a moment, then says in a husky voice, "Dead goblins are better for you than for us...and if you die and they find the map, they may suspect us of aiding you. Fifty pieces of gold for the map. Or you may leave, now."

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by KingOfCowards »

Sham shrugs, and looks back to the group with a look that says "You all got more money than me. What do you think?"

I might also caution that we see what we'll be getting before we pay.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#37 Post by Gelatinous Q »

KingOfCowards wrote: I might also caution that we see what we'll be getting before we pay.
OOC: I agree. We need to see the map before we fork over the gold.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#38 Post by badams30 »

Brother Henry - Priest

Henry quietly fishes 25 gold from his pouch and hands it to whomever of our band wants to hold it. He says "give them this, ask them for a quick glance and we can give them the rest. Tell them that if their map bears fruit I'll bring them back a little bonus of sorts."

Henry smiles at the kobolds and nods politely....

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by Spartakos »

When Sham translates and tosses Henry's gold to Tavek, the kobold unfurls the parchment and steps closer, so you can see what is writ upon it in rusty-colored ink.

After letting you examine it for several seconds, he rerolls it and demands the other half of the payment.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by KingOfCowards »

Sham gathers round the others to glance at the map.
In kobold, he criticizes, "This map is incomplete. We'll give you another 10 gold pieces."

10 gp can come from Sham if that speeds things up

Return to “Adventure on the Borderlands of Lamora (LL)”